Jordan Jenkins Appreciation Thread

TNJet

Just now, chrisfaceoff said:

I felt when we took Jenkins in the 3rd round he was one of the best value picks we made in years. I remember everyone saying "Jenkins will do the dirty work" while Lee gets to the QB, and I always felt he would be the one that would really shine.

There's not much I end up ever being  right about, but I was really happy to be right about this.  Great player, never hear a peep of trouble out of him and works hard.

...The kind of player who should be rewarded with a contract from the team that drafted him.

Fingers crossed!

Maybe the only quality pick made in the Macc era that required any thought.  IIRC we brought in Jenkins for more official visits than any prospect in that draft class (probably any draft class in the Macc era, for that matter), and it worked out well.  

If only we could have picked about a half-dozen more like him in that 2015-19 period.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I like Jenkins but I don't think I'd want to spend too much on him $8m is probably my limit before I look for someone else. He's been solid, he's an important part to this defense but I feel like a lot of his sacks were from coverage not his rush ability.

Is his only value tied to his sacks though?  He strikes me as a Calvin Pace type, helping to set the edge.  Pair him with a pure pass rusher on the other side and our defense looks a ton better.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is his only value tied to his sacks though?  He strikes me as a Calvin Pace type, helping to set the edge.  Pair him with a pure pass rusher on the other side and our defense looks a ton better.  

Calvin Pace is a fine comparison, I was thinking more of a Bryan Thomas. Setting the edge and stopping the run is absolutely important but is that particular trait worth paying $10-12M? I'm not really sure. He's not someone I'd bend over backwards to keeps cause I think we can improve in that area but if he wants a fair, or even slightly generous offer then I'd keep him. If he's looking for Edge Rusher money then idc if the door hits him on the way out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jenkins is averaging 1 sack more than Jamal Adams...a Safety 

How the hell are we putting up Jenkins appreciation threads, yet looking to trade the Adams? 

Insanity. 

Only because Adams is so horrible in coverage. GW knows we get more positive plays from him up on the line, like a backer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

All well and good, but you don't pay a lot for guys to set the edge and get sacks when they are there for the taking as opposed to generating them as a pass rushing terror.

8 hours ago, TNJet said:

Marcus Maye's coverage skills agrees.

Show and prove then. Here you go

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-examining-the-nfls-best-safeties

Adams is No Liability in Coverage, Either

Having a versatile safety is incredibly valuable for NFL defensive schemes and game planning. A blitzing safety with no coverage skills could only be used in and around the line of scrimmage, and his presence there would immediately tip-off the opponent that a blitz, not coverage, is the safety's only option. As a do-it-all safety in the Jets' defense, Jamal Adams has proven to be an asset, and he's no liability when matched up in pass coverage, either. This season, he's allowed a passer rating of just 80.7 on throws into his primary coverage, which is way below the league-wide average for safeties (93.6). Adams’ pass coverage skills make him a complete, every-down safety in a league where teams will be using three such players more often than not.

His knack for pass-rushing combined with his talent to defend both the run and the pass has made him the only defensive back in the NFL who has played at least 200 snaps yet earned a top-10 PFF grade in coverage (86.1, seventh among safeties), against the run (81.6, seventh), as a tackler (89.7, second) and as a pass-rusher (90.4, tied for first).

• Post of the Week 4

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Having a versatile safety is incredibly valuable for NFL defensive schemes and game planning. A blitzing safety with no coverage skills could only be used in and around the line of scrimmage, and his presence there would immediately tip-off the opponent that a blitz, not coverage, is the safety's only option. As a do-it-all safety in the Jets' defense, Jamal Adams has proven to be an asset, and he's no liability when matched up in pass coverage, either. This season, he's allowed a passer rating of just 80.7 on throws into his primary coverage, which is way below the league-wide average for safeties (93.6). Adams’ pass coverage skills make him a complete, every-down safety in a league where teams will be using three such players more often than not.

His knack for pass-rushing combined with his talent to defend both the run and the pass has made him the only defensive back in the NFL who has played at least 200 snaps yet earned a top-10 PFF grade in coverage (86.1, seventh among safeties), against the run (81.6, seventh), as a tackler (89.7, second) and as a pass-rusher (90.4, tied for first).

Yeah many on here including Adams himself would have you believe that he rushes the passer and covers and run stops all on the same play.

He does not get asked to cover very much at all.

Every time he rushes the passer that leaves some other place on the defense compromised.

• Upvote 1

Jordan Jenkins is a hard working player who is a nice complement player...

But he’s also just another in a long line of JAG players that Jets fans overrate.

Hes a decent player. But you can find decent players anywhere in the bargain bin, or mid to late rounds of the draft.

If he’s looking for more than 8 mil a year he can piss off.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah many on here including Adams himself would have you believe that he rushes the passer and covers and run stops all on the same play.

He does not get asked to cover very much at all.

Every time he rushes the passer that leaves some other place on the defense compromised.

So in otherwords...nothing to show. 

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jordan Jenkins is a hard working player who is a nice complement player...

But he’s also just another in a long line of JAG players that Jets fans overrate.

Hes a decent player. But you can find decent players anywhere in the bargain bin, or mid to late rounds of the draft.

If he’s looking for more than 8 mil a year he can piss off.

I hear ya but remember when Demario Davis was considered in the same way?( James Farrior too) Keeping good young players around is a good idea. Generally speaking players haven't hit their peak by year 4 and still have a lot of growth left. Especially when they have played on piss poor teams. Id prefer to keep a core of good players on the team than the cyclical carousel of mediocre talent we have been enduring. 

I wouldn't break the bank for him either but I Wouldn't consider him a bargain bin player by any means. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 2/27/2020 at 7:46 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Jenkins is averaging 1 sack more than Jamal Adams...a Safety 

How the hell are we putting up Jenkins appreciation threads, yet looking to trade the Adams? 

Insanity. 

Jamal Adams is the most talked about Jet here, even edging out Darnold. Doesn’t matter which side you’re on, to say he doesn’t get plenty of our attention (good and bad) is wrong.

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Villain The Foe said:

And with all that, he still sucks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And with all that, JD disagrees. 

I'll believe it if/when ink signs paper.  Until then it's all just fluff and posturing. 

There's a wide range of outcomes that can happen right now.  He can get signed this offseason.  He can be told GFY and be forced to play for $3.5M.  He can be traded.  Nothing JD has said to date is proof of what WILL happen.  

Jamal "haters" get ripped on for hijacking threads all the time.  Here come the fanboys complaining when ANOTHER player gets attention with a thread.  Amazing.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll believe it if/when ink signs paper.  Until then it's all just fluff and posturing. 

Well, since he's still a Jet and has not been traded.....

There's a wide range of outcomes that can happen right now.  He can get signed this offseason.  He can be told GFY and be forced to play for $3.5M.  He can be traded.  Nothing JD has said to date is proof of what WILL happen.  

One thing it does prove, is that JA doesnt suck...which is what I was responding to. 

Jamal "haters" get ripped on for hijacking threads all the time.  Here come the fanboys complaining when ANOTHER player gets attention with a thread.  Amazing.  

Probably because us fanboys dont hijack threads all the time. 

With that said, all im doing is responding to folks who quote me. If folks really were interested in appreciating a 6 sack guy, they'd be talking about him. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you see Adams on NFL network at the combine? The prez was so self promoting it was nauseating. “I’m not just a box safety I can do it all”. I was waiting for the self proclaimed prez to declare he would next end world hunger. 

• Upvote 1

Jenkins was the 83rd player picked in the 2016 draft. He has been a steady player for this team for 4 years, and has increased his sack totals every year....2.5, 3.0, 7.0, 8.0. Pass rushing was not his strong suit to begin with, and one could say that he has exceeded  expectations in this area. Any objective analysis of his career so far would have to say he has been very good value where he was taken. That said, based on the market in FA, it may not make sense for us to pay him with all the crying needs this team has because of the terrible roster management over the years.  FWI, the player picked 5 spots before him in 2016......Thuney.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually I think it's Chris Johnson that disagrees.  Douglas took the calls

Douglas took the calls, yet had a price. That price was more than what other teams were willing to give. Douglas didnt cave.

Seems like Douglas holds Adams at high value. 

Anyone can pick up a telephone when it's your job to pick up the telephone.