Henry Ruggs III: Rumors

PepPep

Rumors are going to fly up until the draft and most will be untrue. I'm actually a big fan of Ruggs and I think he could be one of the best receivers in this class. He's not just a speedster but he has great hands, good size/catch radius, good route running, fights for the ball, makes the spectacular catches. He can pretty much do it all. 

I'm not on board for this pick if a top OT is on the board, but if the Jets really like him and the top O-linemen are gone, I'm fine with Ruggs over Jeudy or Lamb if the Jets really felt like he was the right player for them.

https://www.jetnation.com/2020/02/27/jets-fans-less-than-thrilled-with-ruggs-rumor/

Five scouting-combine performances that should intrigue the Jets: 1. LT Mekhi Becton. How well can a 369-pound man move? 2. WR Henry Ruggs III. Think Tyreek Hill. The Jets have had their eye on him for a while. 3. WR CeeDee Lamb. Curious about 40 time. Might not be as fast as other top WRs. 4. C Cesar Ruiz. Would be a steal in the second round. Can play guard, too. 5. RB D'Andre Swift. Fast and versatile. Would be nice complement to Le'Veon Bell.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer1d ago
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

The way Douglas and Gase have been talking about dynamic playmakers and speed on offense makes it sound like they’d love Ruggs. But have no idea how they’d pick him if they intend on selecting a OL first. 

i can't see them taking ruggs over a tackle.  so the other scenarios are trading back, which still means they're using a 1st on him, or trading an asset to land another 1st round pick.  

30 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

The way Douglas and Gase have been talking about dynamic playmakers and speed on offense makes it sound like they’d love Ruggs. But have no idea how they’d pick him if they intend on selecting a OL first. 

Trade Adams, and pick him with the second #1.

IMO their not trading Adams, but that's how they could do it

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why’s he not the guy?

Well he's not a split end for starters. That right there should be enough. We desperately need an X. Maybe i'm neurotic, but we need to be thinking bigger than just 2020. 

Secondly, we'd be letting Robbie go, just to replace him with a luxury model of the same player. I'm not convinced that Ruggs can be an offenses WR1, and you're going to find reasonably similar talent in rounds 2 or 3. He's a playmaker, no doubt, but fat chance of us finding a OT1 in round 2... while i can say we definitely have a shot at some WR1s in round 2.

Also, he was the 3rd best WR on 'bama last year IMO. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Hm. I was thinking more “Think Stefan Diggs”. But faster. 

I dunno. Truthfully, i'd have to go back do a deep dive on Ruggs, but there's a reason why Robbie for example is only in the 12 million a year (potentially) club, while for example an Evans or Jones would be in the 18-20 million club...

Plus it's not a great recipe. If you go back and look at the "measurable" receivers from DHB, to Dorsett, to Ross, To Austin, etc etc... Not to say there isn't examples of success too, but Ruggs is by definition more of a rnd 2 WR... I have guys like Higgins, Mims, way ahead of Ruggs. 

And i would take D. Smith (he decided to stay for his senior year) over Ruggs. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Well he's not a split end for starters. That right there should be enough. We desperately need an X. Maybe i'm neurotic, but we need to be thinking bigger than just 2020. 

Secondly, we'd be letting Robbie go, just to replace him with a luxury model of the same player. I'm not convinced that Ruggs can be an offenses WR1, and you're going to find reasonably similar talent in rounds 2 or 3. He's a playmaker, no doubt, but fat chance of us finding a OT1 in round 2... while i can say we definitely have a shot at some WR1s in round 2.

After Ruggs breaks thebrecord for the 40 at the combine, he is going to be the consensus  #1 WR in the draft. This guy was clocked at close to 25 MPH on one of his long TD runs. You can't  teach that. 

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

Isn't this suppose to be a really deep WR class?  Gotta go with OL in the 1st.

I suspect this type of thinking will be league-wide, and that it's far more likely that the three top WRs are all still on the board at #11, and that none of the top three OTs are. JD needs to do everything he can for the OL in free agency to give him the room to pivot if the offensive linemen are flying off the shelves. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This draft just screams trade down - more than any I can remember.

So deep in positions of need...

I'm always in favor of trading down, but it takes two to tango. Who's gonna be looking to trade up? And for whom? I don't see QB in play there, so maybe a team looking to jump the Raiders for a specific WR? Love to see it, but I don't see too many hypothetical scenarios. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

After Ruggs breaks thebrecord for the 40 at the combine, he is going to be the consensus  #1 WR in the draft. This guy was clocked at close to 25 MPH on one of his long TD runs. You can't  teach that. 

who cares? DHB was fast too. So was Dorsett. 

You can't teach a lot of things. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno. Truthfully, i'd have to go back do a deep dive on Ruggs, but there's a reason why Robbie for example is only in the 12 million a year (potentially) club, while for example an Evans or Jones would be in the 18-20 million club...

Plus it's not a great recipe. If you go back and look at the "measurable" receivers from DHB, to Dorsett, to Ross, To Austin, etc etc... Not to say there isn't examples of success too, but Ruggs is by definition more of a rnd 2 WR... I have guys like Higgins, Mims, way ahead of Ruggs. 

And i would take D. Smith (he decided to stay for his senior year) over Ruggs. 

I think Ruggs is way different and better route runner then Robby. He’s more then just speed. 

But yeah, there’s a ton of guys with diff skill sets in this draft. No reason to give up a lot to take him (after a OL) when you can wait for another guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I think Ruggs is way different and better route runner then Robby. He’s more then just speed. 

But yeah, there’s a ton of guys with diff skill sets in this draft. No reason to give up a lot to take him (after a OL) when you can wait for another guy. 

I think if you're worth your weight in the front office from a talent management standpoint, there's no argument that exists to take Ruggs specifically over Thomas/Wills/LT1... Let's all take a second to reflect on our Tackle play in 2019 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think if you're worth your weight in the front office from a talent management standpoint, there's no argument that exists to take Ruggs specifically over Thomas/Wills/LT1... Let's all take a second to reflect on our Tackle play in 2019 

I’m not saying take him over a OL. No way. I meant trading back up or something. Just playing fantasy and thinking diff scenarios. It’s OL. No matter what. 

Also If im taking a WR, it’s Lamb and that’s it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

I’m not saying take him over a OL. No way. I meant trading back up or something. Just playing fantasy and thinking diff scenarios. It’s OL. No matter what. 

Also If im taking a WR, it’s Lamb and that’s it. 

I love Lamb, but I'm not as high on him as draft media. There's some parts of his game i don't trust, but I concede that i haven't put in the time yet this year to justify some of my opinions. I feel much better about Higgins/Mims/Jefferson... not saying take them at #11, but I know what i'm getting for sure with those guys

Remember that draft years ago where the 49ers basically drafted 3/4 of their secondary, and then went to the Super Bowl?

I honestly think that if the Jets draft only the best OL and WR in rounds 1-4, and then look at RB and K, while signing FA OL, CB and Edge, this team could be really good next year.  

Yes, the OL needs that much help.  

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If the Jets trade down from #11 into say the 14-17 range then a guy like Ruggs, an additional OLineman and maybe even an Edge rusher all enter the conversation.

I’d have to think the Jets have something like 8 players at OT and WR they’d like in the Top 17 or so picks - Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Jones at OT and Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs at WR.  If they do trade back from #11 and hopefully pick up an additional 2nd round pick then I’d think Edge rushers like Epenesa, Chaisson maybe get into the conversation.

I like Ruggs.....I just don’t like him at #11 and ahead of more complete players like Jeudy and Lamb.

Ruggs would remind me of the Santana Moss pick at LOT.

This isn't the move that I necessarily love, but if these guys like Ruggs that much, I don't have a problem with it. It's easy to sit around now and say that you can get a #1 WR later and no starting tackle, but this is their decision.  Sometimes you are picking between Pace and Jones and something you are stuck with Flowers or even Andrus Peat.  I think the fact that the offensive line hasn't been translating is a reason to wait.  

I will say that Ruggs doesn't just look fast.  He looks like he has easy speed.  He's just cruising and guys that have the angle don't even get a sniff of him. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

who cares? DHB was fast too. So was Dorsett. 

You can't teach a lot of things. 

They aren't  as fast as this guy and he can do more than run in a straight  line. I don't  see why you feel the need to crap on anything positive about him, he is a rare combination of speed, catch ability and route running. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Well, if you believe in Ruggs you don't see him in a specific role or as a similar player to Robby. You see him as Tyreek Hill.

I want a OT at 11 but if we trade up into the back end of the first for Ruggs I would be happy with that.

This is a tough one. I think that 2 or 3 of the WR prospects are head and shoulders above the rest. The OT class goes 7 or 8 deep and I perceive much less separation. It will be very interesting to see how we all feel next week after our visit to the meat market.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This draft just screams trade down - more than any I can remember.

So deep in positions of need...

I agree and am usually in favor of  (somewhat) a trade down. But this particular draft i am hoping one of Wills/Thomas fall to the Jets....in which case i am not even taking phone calls and unhesitatingly i am drafting a quality SEC tackle for Sam Darnold. Not even thinking twice.

With 3 selections in rounds 2 and 3 they can shop receivers and edge rushers.