Report: Jets Plan on Making Push to Retain Robby, Bidding Could hit $15 Million

JetNation

Robby Anderson

An interesting nugget out of Indy this week comes from Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network that while they’re aware of what will likely be a large price tag, the Jets plan on making a push to keep speedy receiver Robby Anderson.

Sources tell PFN Insider @TonyPauline that front office personnel from the Jets admit it will cost a lot to retain Robby Anderson.

However, that's not going to stop them from making a push to keep their lethal big-play threat from going elsewhere.

More: https://t.co/2s4L0NqYAe pic.twitter.com/I0XtG4mjdE

— Pro Football Network (@PFN365) February 27, 2020

Pauline goes so far as to say that Anderson could land a deal worth $15 million per year:

Anderson has already made it known that he won’t give the Jets a hometown discount. Based on market trends and the number of expected bidders, Anderson may end up signing a contract that pays him up to $15 million per year. However, the Jets intend to make a push to keep their lethal big-play threat from going elsewhere.

There’s no denying Anderson’s ability to get behind a defense and making life easier for his fellow receivers, but poor quarterback play over the past several seasons allows that fact to escape some onlookers.

While many tend to parrot the “he’s never had 1,000 yards in a season line”, anyone watching with an ounce of objectivity understands that the box scores don’t match Anderson’s ability.  Having to play chunks of the past three seasons with the likes of Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Luke Falk are the biggest reason for Anderson’s lack of a “banner” season.

In the right system, expect Anderson to explode.  If Pauline is right, it seems the Jets brass may feel the same way.

The post Report: Jets Plan on Making Push to Retain Robby, Bidding Could hit $15 Million appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
61YnaomZyHQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

here’s no denying Anderson’s ability to get behind a defense and making life easier for his fellow receivers, but poor quarterback play over the past several seasons allows that fact to escape some onlookers.

this.

and this is not to say I promote paying him 15 million. ( and he outplayed guys who were getting 16 mil THIS YEAR)

As per 3 months ago he's easily in the 12mill range...     15???  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Anderson and Adams tying up 30 mil is not something I am interested, endorse or condone. 

Ok what about every other team? Doesnt every other team have ATLEAST 2 players tying up 30?

i mean we dont have any stars here surely we can afford to do what we need to do providing our drafting improves

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

So Robbie not hitting 1,000 yards in a season is bad QB while Sam’s excuse for not playing well is bad weaponz.

dog chasing GIF

I think the knock on Robby is that he's got a limited route tree and just hasn't put up the production to warrrant 15mil/year. Idt anyone on here hates the guy but if you look at other WR salaries and compare them to Robby $15mil is crazy. Davante Adams- $14.5, Hopkins $16.2, Evans $16.2 etc I could see pay Robby $11-12 but anything higher is just a little too rich for my blood

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, genot said:

If it was up to some people on this board, we'd have a team of mediocre players, performing on their rookie contracts, and a bunch of cheap over the hill players, playing out their careers. Not a winning formula.

I mean, this would represent a meaningful step up from the team Mac built.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

What am I missing ?

The answer to your question is simple. The market sets the market. Not the opinions of fans on a message board, or twitter.

Anderson is in an enviable place right now. He's young, injury free, has a skill teams value, and is one of if not the best available WRs on said market. Let's say he has 4 or 5 teams bidding for him... That's an athletes dream, and Robby has earned the right to sit back, let this play out, and choose where he wants to go.

Will he become overpaid for what he can do? Yeah, probably, but he's been under paid for a while, and now he has the hammer. Good for him.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I think the knock on Robby is that he's got a limited route tree and just hasn't put up the production to warrrant 15mil/year. Idt anyone on here hates the guy but if you look at other WR salaries and compare them to Robby $15mil is crazy. Davante Adams- $14.5, Hopkins $16.2, Evans $16.2 etc I could see pay Robby $11-12 but anything higher is just a little too rich for my blood

Not denying that just riffing on the article saying he hasn’t hit 1,000 in a season due to bad QB play. At some point, someone has to be accountable. Let’s say Robbie lands on oh I don’t know the raiders and puts up a 1,300 yard season. Is that on Gase, Darnold or (as usual) no one?

OK im not sure how this is even under consideration from some of my fellow JN posters. I  mean I get Joe D is doing his GM thing saying all the right things but I fully expect  Robbie to be gone or paid significantly less than 15 mil a year.

Here is a list of Top paid WR in the NFL. Look at those names. I'm sorry but it seems very hard to take anyone seriously that wants us to fork over 15 mil for Robbie.

You don't pay to keep guys just because they are best you got - or have some glimmer of hope. You pay guys that produce or have the some innate remarkable talent that you cant draft, or sign off the street. Guys like Sam Darnold or L. Bell. 

Look we have drafted bad so our talent sucks, i get it, but don't keep repeating or cheer leading to repeat the same mistakes that have killed us for years. D. Thomas came in last year from the Pats and took the number 1 WR spot. He wasn't good enough to evern make the team there an came in and took the number 1 spot. Guys off the street are supposed to come in and fight for the 4th spot talent wise. This whole idea that Robbie who, with all his faults and merits - which have been argued at length by many on Jetnation, cant just be replaced by another guy off the street, drafted or someone else that costs way less and has less off field stuff going is wrong. He can and he should be. 

But there are people seriously arguing to pay him 15 million plus? WTF. Look at the list of top paid. I'm sorry I just cant sign up for that crap.

Signing him is a terrible move. Yeah lets pay him more than Davante Adams. contrarian

NFL's highest paid wide receivers (average salary per year):

• 1. Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million
  • 2. Raiders WR Antonio Brown: $16.7 million
  • 3. Buccaneers WR Mike Evans: $16.5 million
  • 4. Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million
  • 5. Rams WR Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million
  • 6. Vikings WR Adam Thielen: $16.2 million
  • 7. Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins: $16 million
  • 8. Browns WR Jarvis Landry: $15.1 million
  • 9. Bengals WR A.J. Green: $15 million
  • 10. Packers WR Davante Adams: $14.5 million

FWIW, Jarvis Landry is not any more my idea of a WR you overpay than Robby.  In fact, Robby has more TDs over the past two seasons than Landry.  Same is true of Watkins and Cooks.  Then you have Brown who melted down into worthless slag, and Beckham who is one step away from that some weeks.  Thielen nearly disappeared this past season as well.  

So basically, half of that list probably wasn't worth the money.  Welcome to the 21st century NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1