Report: Jets Plan on Making Push to Retain Robby, Bidding Could hit $15 Million

JetNation

7 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Why exactly aren't we talking about a tag and trade for Robby? The tag would be $18.5m. If the market is really going to go up to $15-16m, why not roll the dice on trading him? 

Had the exact same thought. I have a feeling his market isn't going to get into that range but if it is, not a ton of risk. But if teams were going to trade like a 4th round pick for him at t he last deadline I don't know if they'll give too much if they're going to have to pay him afterwards.

That said, I still kind of would like to see the Jets try to play the comp pick game and not go nuts signing guys to long term deals that the team will regret. If franchising him means less money devoted to mid-level FA's, more continuity for Darnold, and a year to see what the Jets get out of the draft at WR plus a possible comp pick if he leaves as a UFA...I don't know.

All of that said I think he ends up more in the $12-$13M range. Still too much for my taste. Wonder where he does land.

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I want to agree with you. But the knock on sam is too much. I do not think P Homes is far superior. Faced with half the pressure and lack of talent that sam faces every week; Mahomes got shut down. The games where their was injuries and some pressure P Homes came down to earth. And that still doesnt take into account the Bowles of gase factor that Sam has to deal with.

I think it is better to say Mahomes is super elite and has had much better results that Sam, BUT Sam has all the talent in the world and would have done as good or possibly better than mahomes in the same situation. 

I do not think for one second that Mahomes would have shown as much upside on the Jets that Sam has.

Sorry bud just my opinion. 

Mahomes would be a top 5 QB anywhere.  Maybe not # 1, but top 5 for sure.

If Sam were in KC, no way he's throwing 50 TDs, and he's probably not winning a SB either.

That's the difference.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Some of you guys get caught up way too much in the salaries.  The reality is that there isnt that much difference if Robby signs for $11M per year or $15M per year.  If you want the player, you pay the player.  If you like him at $11M, then you can like him at $15M.  In the grand scheme of things it’s not killing you.  

The big problem for me is if you pay Robby $15M per, you're no longer really looking for a WR1.

Do you think there's any chance we use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR if we sign Robby for what he wants?  Doubtful.  No moves are made in a vacuum.

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I laugh at posters that think that just because the cap is going up we should "just pay the man" It's incredibly dumb. Smart teams in the NFL should not ever approach things that way, and that environment will never really exist in the NFL. NE has Brady but their success is also because they do not overpay for anyone. (And the BS under the table payments to Brady dont hurt either)

C'mon man.  That's not being said at all.  Everything is relative and too many people look at the current market comps and say "$15 mill for Robby is BS - look what So and So is making" when they should be focusing more on where it sits over the future life of the contract.  At the rate the league cap's been increasing, $15 mil may be JAG money in 2 years.  And NE/Brady could be the WORST example you could have ever come up with given how crooked that whole TB12 gig is up there...

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The big problem for me is if you pay Robby $15M per, you're no longer really looking for a WR1.

Do you think there's any chance we use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR if we sign Robby for what he wants?  Doubtful.  No moves are made in a vacuum.

Not true.  You draft him.  It doesn’t do anything to prevent you from adding other WRs.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not true.  You draft him.  It doesn’t do anything to prevent you from adding other WRs.  

I mean, you or I would draft him.  That doesn't mean that's what JD will do.  I believe the Eagles liked drafting WRs early and often in when he was there so it might not be a concern, but you never know when the guy is in the head chair.

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 things can be true at the same time:  Mahomes walked into a great situation AND is a super-elite QB, far superior to Sam Darnold in every way.  Only a homer could watch those 2 play and suggest otherwise. 

And again, I said Sam AT HIS BEST.  Meaning even when removing all his bad performances and looking at the times when he has a free pocket and is throwing darts, Mahomes still looks like a completely different and significantly better QB.  

It's why Andy Reid traded up for him and dumped Alex Smith (coming off a career year) in the first place.  

I never said darnold, at this point can compare to Mahomes. Did i? I said our opinions on those QB's could change, somewhere down the road. Think i said 5 yrs??

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You always argue your points well 80, even when I don't agree, I see your side. But please explain your reasoning here, because I couldn't disagree more with you on this one, and don't see how you came to this conclusion.

I'd think if the Jets resign Robby for a big salary, (12-15) it makes a ton of sense to look for another WR in the draft with a top pick who you can have at a reasonable rate for 4-5 years... What you wouldn't want to do is sign another FA WR to a big contract.

I'm all for signing Anderson, but we still need more at WR, and the draft is where to get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You always argue your points well 80, but explain your reasoning here, because I couldn't disagree more with you on this one.

I'd think if the Jets resign Robby for a big salary, (12-15) it makes a ton of sense to look for another WR in the draft with a top pick who you now have at a reasonable rate for 4-5 years... What you wouldn't want to do is sign another FA WR to a big contract.

It makes perfect sense to you or I to look for a WR in the 1st/2nd round.  And I would 100 % like to take one in that range.

I'm talking about what JD might do.  If we pay Robby market value, we might well be looking more at the 3rd/4th round for a WR.  He might well think we're "set" at WR1 and pursue more of a WR2 in the draft.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm talking about what JD might do.  If we pay Robby market value, we might well be looking more at the 3rd/4th round for a WR.  

I couldn't disagree more. Right now we have nothing at WR, so bringing Robby back should have zero bearing on us drafting a WR high....especially with the talent in this group. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I also think that some other team is likely to pay him more than he is worth. I very much welcome it. Because I do not think He wants to sign for anything less that 15 mil. 

YOu bring up the tag, i wonder what that would cost. I always thought the tag was for a stud you didnt want to pay for or couldnt afford so you could hold on to him for a while to give time to find a trade. Although im not too clear on all that.

Ideally right now just some other team signs him and we are done. If would have been nice to trade him last year.

Some team, ideally with a rookie QB contract, will want to compete for the playoffs.  Robby on a long bomb can win you 1-2 games a year.  That can get you into the playoffs.

Honestly, for 2020, that is probably the way the Jets should be looking at it.  Robby is probably directly responsible for at least one of the 7 wins last year.  

If not the Jets, who?  What team is more suited to pay Robby than the Jets?  Maybe a team with a better longer pass game, like the Raiders or Bills.  

Robby at $15mm/year in 2022 could probably be a good deal.  If he was playing well.  

To me it comes down to whether we want to pay someone a ton of money who may be slightly crazy.   The Transition Tag is calculated based on older contracts.  It may not even be a premium this year anymore.  I would just do that for this year, draft WRs for the longer term, and sign an EDGE, CBs, and OL.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F*** that.  If it were up to quite a few people on this board (in foresight, not hindsight), we'd have Deshaun Watson/Pat Mahomes slinging passes all over the field right now to some quality weapons.  

There were two vocal supporters for Mahomes:

Lupz27 & that guy who coached him at TT.

That's it.

Most of this board was also ok with punting on QB in 2017 in favor of the 2018 class.  This is total revisionist history.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It makes perfect sense to you or I to look for a WR in the 1st/2nd round.  And I would 100 % like to take one in that range.

I'm talking about what JD might do.  If we pay Robby market value, we might well be looking more at the 3rd/4th round for a WR.  He might well think we're "set" at WR1 and pursue more of a WR2 in the draft.

If it turns out that's his thought process, then he's really not who we hope he is, he's just another Idzik, Macc... No?

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If this is the way JD thinks, then nothing else matters, because we are f**ked anyway.  Robby can be a solid contributior who can have a role on just about any team, but if JD thinks he is a WR1, then we are in for some more very long seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That's it.

Most of this board was also ok with punting on QB in 2017 in favor of the 2018 class.  This is total revisionist history.

Fair.

We'd still be far better off with Watson and all those 2nd rounders. Granted, Macc would still be the GM.  Ugh.   

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That's it.

No, after the fact everyone wanted Mahomes.

You have no clue son, move on.

No one other than KC wanted Mahomes in the top 10

Now, everyone knew he should have been picked 1

Its easy after the fact.  I wanted Watson.  Oh well

Why not cry about Brady, Rodgers or Wilson? 

KC saw something almost no one else saw.  Great job by them.  Happens.  Move on already people

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think he looks at them as “WR1 or 2”. I think he just wants to give Sam weapons all over the field no matter what. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair.

We'd still be far better off with Watson and all those 2nd rounders. Granted, Macc would still be the GM.  Ugh.   

Watson was, admittedly, the only QB I would have taken at 6. 

Mahomes I was ok with trading down/trading back up for. 

I hated Trubisky.

Total double edged sword with Macc though, you're right there.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What is it with you this offseason and all these "if Joes does this then he cant/wont do that" type of scenarios you've been creating out of thin air?

lol

I see people here saying the Jets always screw up in FA, and all of their high price FA signings bust.

The REAL problem is that the Jets have let promising young players go without a fight, and then find themselves overpaying out of knee jerk reactions for guys they don't know, only to watch former players go elsewhere to better teams and do well, while the guy they signed cashes his checks and laughs at the incompetent Jets management.  (Paging Mr. Johnson, Mr. Trumaine Johnson...) LOL.  

Robbie should have been extended earlier, but of course MacCagnan ****ed that up, too. 

You have a young QB who has familiarity and good Chem with a guy he's used to playing with, that happens to have elite speed. If Robbie was a Charger or Chief, we'd be more than happy to throw Millions at him. He has NOT been a discipline issue for the Jets, he was a ******* idiot one day, but on his own time. Tyreek Hill beat the sh*t out of a pregnant woman and his toddler, and it's like, "shhhhh, no big deal" now. 

Offer Robbie a reasonable, market contract for his skills and just move on. If he likes playing in NY and agrees, great. If he doesn't want to stay, or he is offered a ridiculous contract the Jets can't offer, fine. But ru  if the mill WRs are making $10M per. $12-14 per for an elite deep threat with established rapport with your 3ed year QB?

Duh.

And then you go and draft another guy high, on a rookie deal for 4-5 years. Enunwa isnt coming back, DT is unreliable, and Doc is a total unknown right now. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I don’t think he looks at them as “WR1 or 2”. I think he just wants to give Sam weapons all over the field no matter what. 

Agree.  I'm not even sure what WR1/WR2 means anymore.  It's not like RB where there's only one starter and then back ups.  Is it based on production or scheme?

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I see people here saying the Jets always screw up in FA, and all of their high price FA signings bust.

The REAL problem is that the Jets have let promising young players go without a fight, and then find themselves overpaying out of knee jerk reactions for guys they don't know, only to watch former players go elsewhere to better teams and do well, while the guy they signed cashes his checks and laughs at the incompetent Jets management.  (Paging Mr. Johnson, Mr. Trumaine Johnson...) LOL.  

Robbie should have been extended earlier, but of course MacCagnan ****ed that up, too. 

You have a young QB who has familiarity and good Chem with a guy he's used to playing with, that happens to have elite speed. If Robbie was a Charger or Chief, we'd be more than happy to throw Millions at him. He has NOT been a discipline issue for the Jets, he was a ******* idiot one day, but on his own time. Tyreek Hill beat the sh*t out of a pregnant woman and his toddler, and it's like, "shhhhh, no big deal" now. 

Offer Robbie a reasonable, market contract for his skills and just move on. If he likes playing in NY and agrees, great. If he doesn't want to stay, or he is offered a ridiculous contract the Jets can't offer, fine. But ru  if the mill WRs are making $10M per. $12-14 per for an elite deep threat with established rapport with your 3ed year QB?

Duh.

You look like Big Ben in your new Avatar pic.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why cant he sign Robby market value and still draft a #1 WR type over a #2 type?

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I want to agree with you. But the knock on sam is too much. I do not think P Homes is far superior. Faced with half the pressure and lack of talent that sam faces every week; Mahomes got shut down. The games where their was injuries and some pressure P Homes came down to earth. And that still doesnt take into account the Bowles of gase factor that Sam has to deal with.

I think it is better to say Mahomes is super elite and has had much better results that Sam, BUT Sam has all the talent in the world and would have done as good or possibly better than mahomes in the same situation. 

I do not think for one second that Mahomes would have shown as much upside on the Jets that Sam has.

Sorry bud just my opinion. 

You don't think Mahomes would roll to a Super Bowl Championship with this group? 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You don't think Mahomes would roll to a Super Bowl Championship with this group? 

With Mahomes, the 6th pick in the '18 draft and those 3 second round picks?

At the very worst, I'd say we're a playoff team, and a helluva lot closer to the Super Bowl. Wouldn't you?