WR Anderson vs. Cooper (Who to go all in with for Jets?)

WR Anderson vs. Cooper (Who to go all in with for Jets?). That's my question, if Cooper is available. Cooper is a moire complete WR so would it be that rather than pay Robby we just let him walk and pay Cooper?. Note that Cooper(25 yrs old) is actually 1 year younger than Robby(26 yrs old). And, since it likely would be the Jets choice that the 1st round draft pick results in either an OT or perhaps one of the best non-Chase Young Edge rushers, we are probably looking at a WR in round 2 or 3 that while this is a deep class there may be a guy that at best for a while gets on the field as a number 4/5 WR for a while. Thoughts?.  

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm not a Cooper fan. Always dealing with a nagging injury and disappears in big spots. I also assume Robby will be cheaper (maybe not by much). Anderson for me.

OK, Despite Robby being frail, he seems pretty durable and with age about the same saving money on Robby would be better. Hoping we can get Robby for ~12-13M per year. We have to save as much as possible for Oline in FA. Was wondering if Jets will transition tag Robby to see if they want to prevent a bid from stealing him, but in the end most players I would say would give the home team that option anyway.

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm not a Cooper fan. Always dealing with a nagging injury and disappears in big spots. I also assume Robby will be cheaper (maybe not by much). Anderson for me.

I;m not in love with Cooper either. He's not the guy to pour $18-20 mil into.  And even at the top of the rumored money RA may command, Cooper is still $3-5 mil more than the $15 mil number. That's a lot of bread. 

• Upvote 2

Here's my WAG on a deal that might eventually happen.  $50MM over 4 years with $22MM guaranteed.  Pretty much locks us in for 2 years and cuttable after 2 with a modest cap hit.  For me, something close to that is perfectly sound and then we can still draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd to add to the mix.  Even then we would be a little thin, but with a better OL, that's something we can work with, especially if Herndon is able to play and produce as well.

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I wouldn't try to sign either of them. We have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I pray that Joe D uses 2 of those picks on wrs. (And the other 2 on olineman) 

Doesn't it seem so damned easy? lol  I'm telling you right now I could absolutely grab 4 studs in those spots. STUDS!!! 

1 T

1C/G/T

2 WR 

Done!  on to the 4th to grab more studs!  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Let’s do some basic math.

if we make the obvious expected cuts -  Tru, Winters, Roberts Williamson that brings us to about $65-70 of cap space. 

Great.

we currently don’t have starters signed at 

RT RG LG LT WR1 WR2  ROLB CB1 & Slot CB

and that’s with giving Bashum, Burgess and Austin starting spots.

not sure 1/4 of our cap space on either WR is the move.

• Upvote 3

Just now, shuler82 said:

Let’s do some basic math.

if we make the obvious expected cuts -  Tru, Winters, Roberts Williamson that brings us to about $65-70 of cap space. 

Great.

we currently don’t have starters signed at 

RT RG LG LT WR1 WR2  ROLB CB1 & Slot CB

and that’s with giving Bashum, Burgess and Austin starting spots.

not sure 1/4 of our cap space on either WR is the move.

Math is weird man. 

27 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Doesn't it seem so damned easy? lol  I'm telling you right now I could absolutely grab 4 studs in those spots. STUDS!!! 

1 T

1C/G/T

2 WR 

Done!  on to the 4th to grab more studs!  :) 

Your absolutely right. This draft is stacked. Even if Douglas goes O line, O-line like you say here,  he can still get 2 stud Wrs in the 3rd. Claypool, Pittman & Golden-Gandy should all be available. 

But I'm not gonna lie, I have some serious man love for Jeudy. I think this kid is gonna be a superstar. Would kill to see him in green and white. Just Imagine Sam to Jeudy for the next 15 years.

That being said I would completely understand picking a franchise LT over him. I just hope Douglas understands that the WR position is just as big a need as the o line. Hopefully he addresses both early and often.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Stating the obvious, this  draft is the biggest this franchise has had in a long time. They have to hit on a few cornerstone players. The well is just about dry.

It's a good draft to begin the Douglas era. It would be such a delight for his picks to actually make sense for the team.  I have such high hopes. 

I'm not too worried about the contracts like so many others are. That can all be figured out without too much issue imo. Drafting the right players would be the real shift for us. 

• WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Your absolutely right. This draft is stacked. Even if Douglas goes O line, O-line like you say here,  he can still get 2 stud Wrs in the 3rd. Claypool, Pittman & Golden-Gandy should all be available. 

But I'm not gonna lie, I have some serious man love for Jeudy. I think this kid is gonna be a superstar. Would kill to see him in green and white. Just Imagine Sam to Jeudy for the next 15 years.

That being said I would completely understand picking a franchise LT over him. I just hope Douglas understands that the WR position is just as big a need as the o line. Hopefully he addresses both early and often.

I get it. I don't feel the same way for Jeudy but I understand for sure. I just don't see him as so much better than some of the guys we can get in the 2nd that bypassing a left tackle would be warranted. That's just me. I'm o line heavy in my overall mentality though.

Even if JD decided to go WR in the 1st I would still have hope that we could take care of the o line in the following rds, but it would most likely be at the cost of dominance vs solid. T's Wanogho, Niang, Peart, Adams and Jackson can most likely be had in the 2nd or even 3rd. They can all play but not at the same level as the top 5 of Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, Wills and Jones in that order. The next tier most likely needs some time to sit or we will be looking at Edoga all over again. That kid was simply not ready for the switch to the left side. It ruined his season imo. 

The receivers on the other hand do not have such a significant drop off from all I'm seeing. It's a deeper crop than the Tackles so we should grab one early and then mess with the WR's and C/G's. 

Could you imagine if our GM actually nails this draft?  This is the draft to nail man. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I get it. I don't feel the same way for Jeudy but I understand for sure. I just don't see him as so much better than some of the guys we can get in the 2nd that bypassing a left tackle would be warranted. That's just me. I'm o line heavy in my overall mentality though.

Even if JD decided to go WR in the 1st I would still have hope that we could take care of the o line in the following rds, but it would most likely be at the cost of dominance vs solid. T's Wanogho, Niang, Peart, Adams and Jackson can most likely be had in the 2nd or even 3rd. They can all play but not at the same level as the top 5 of Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, Wills and Jones in that order. The next tier most likely needs some time to sit or we will be looking at Edoga all over again. That kid was simply not ready for the switch to the left side. It ruined his season imo. 

The receivers on the other hand do not have such a significant drop off from all I'm seeing. It's a deeper crop than the Tackles so we should grab one early and then mess with the WR's and C/G's. 

Could you imagine if our GM actually nails this draft?  This is the draft to nail man. 

This place is going to be fun when JD picks Derrick Brown...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Your analysis is spot on as always. The Wr depth is insane. That's why I do think Douglas will ultimately go o line in the first. And then hopefully address Wr in the 2nd or 3rd.

And Douglas absolutely needs to nail this draft. Darnolds development, and the future of this franchise depends on it. We cannot afford an idzik like draft

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Your analysis is spot on as always. The Wr depth is insane. That's why I do think Douglas will ultimately go o line in the first. And then hopefully address Wr in the 2nd or 3rd.

And Douglas absolutely needs to nail this draft. Darnolds development, and the future of this franchise depends on it. We cannot afford an idzik like draft

Agreed entirely. All drafts are important but this is an opportunity to really turn this offense around in a hurry. And it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for JD to put his stamp on the team in a positive way. 

Robbie Anderson was signed as a UFA by the Jets. Sure he has been a great signing for us and has produced beyond expectations but is this guy really worth 10-15 mil per season? I just don't see it. If he signs elsewhere do we get a comp pick? Keep bringing in the young hungry rookies coming in cheap on their 1st contracts and let players seeking big money on their 2nd contracts go somewhere else and soak up their money. Id resign Robbie at a reasonable rate 6-8 mil and that's it. If we lose him so be it. Its not like we won anything with him anyway - he can't block - he's a bag of sticks and if he loses 1 step he's worthless. Id rather put our money in the O Line.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

i see the logic.  i just don't see the jets being taken seriously if they go into the season without a really good vet receiver to keep teams honest.  going wr in the 2nd + rounds makes sense but they will still need one who can play right out of the box.  the logic also applies to drafting one of the top guys like jeudy in the first round.  the only way this makes sense is if they can land one of the top free agent tackles.

i think there are enough pieces in place for douglas to get some decent players this draft.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I wouldn't try to sign either of them. We have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I pray that Joe D uses 2 of those picks on wrs. (And the other 2 on olineman) 

You can’t rely on draft picks in year 1, especially after the first round.  The Jets have to sign a wr or two.  Who would you sign?

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I;m not in love with Cooper either. He's not the guy to pour $18-20 mil into.  And even at the top of the rumored money RA may command, Cooper is still $3-5 mil more than the $15 mil number. That's a lot of bread. 

Sounds like there are questions about Coopers love for football.   He is hurt a lot and doesn’t always give max effort.  He isn’t as fast as Anderson and I’ve seen him drop some routine catches.  Is Dallas even going to let Cooper become a FA?

I think if they resign Anderson,Use a 2 rounder to bring in guy to battle Enunwa for WR2 position ( thinking LSU Jeffferson) and keep Crowder in the slot, they’d have something

33 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Sounds like there are questions about Coopers love for football.   He is hurt a lot and doesn’t always give max effort.  He isn’t as fast as Anderson and I’ve seen him drop some routine catches.  Is Dallas even going to let Cooper become a FA?

I think if they resign Anderson,Use a 2 rounder to bring in guy to battle Enunwa for WR2 position ( thinking LSU Jeffferson) and keep Crowder in the slot, they’d have something

Right. I just don't view Cooper as one of those guys worth $18 mil. 

If we end up with Justin Jefferson in the 2nd i will be ecstatic. In my honest opinion he has the potential to be the best WR in this class. I love what he brings. I'm actually into signing one of the FA WR's with Demarcus Robertson being the target. 

Wirfs and Jefferson with the 1st 2 picks? We have already improved the offense dramatically. Add Robertson and some other linemen like Glasgow, McGovern or Conklin etc etc???  We're really on our way man. 

• Upvote 1