Jump to content
SR24

Scherff Likely Staying

Recommended Posts

Not a huge fan of his but the OL market is going to continue to get thin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously. You don’t let probowl OL walk when there’s such a small amount of good ones. 

More pro bowl OLs than safeties and seems the majority want Adams shipped out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

More pro bowl OLs than safeties and seems the majority want Adams shipped out

You need an elite OL to win championships.  Especially at the OT spots but also lately at the G spots too.  

You don't need an elite Box Safety to win a championship.  In fact its one of the least important positions on the field.  

Also there are 5 positions on the OL.  Only 2 Safety spots.  So obviously the volume of OL on the market will be higher.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need an elite OL to win championships.

You don't need an elite Box Safety to win a championship.  

Also there are 5 positions on the OL.  Only 2 Safety spots.  So obviously the volume of OL on the market will be higher.  

I was not disagreeing with his conclusion, only his reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously. You don’t let probowl OL walk when there’s such a small amount of good ones. 

JUST SIGN DAT CONKLIN GUY, AND DAT SCHREK AND THUNEY GUY AND WE'RE DONE

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JUST SIGN DAT CONKLIN GUY, AND DAT SCHREK AND THUNEY GUY AND WE'RE DONE

SIGNDEMFREAKINALL!!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need an elite OL to win championships.  Especially at the OT spots but also lately at the G spots too.  

You don't need an elite Box Safety to win a championship.  In fact its one of the least important positions on the field.  

Also there are 5 positions on the OL.  Only 2 Safety spots.  So obviously the volume of OL on the market will be higher.  

You need good players to win.  

You think it has to be on the OL?  Wrong.

The box safety nonsense and all that goes with it doesn't say trade Adams.

No matter how many times you repeat yourself

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Do you?  The Chiefs were far from elite on the OL.  They were actually probably closer to awful than elite.

The Eagles line that won a SB was a patchwork group due to injuries.

Broncos from '15 were an average group.  The Patriots are the only SB winner in the last 5 years were they had an elite OL.

The Jets need to upgrade their OL no question, but to say you have to have an elite OL to win a title seems a bit of hyperbole

lamar jackson football GIF by Baltimore Ravens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Do you?  The Chiefs were far from elite on the OL.  They were actually probably closer to awful than elite.

The Eagles line that won a SB was a patchwork group due to injuries.

Broncos from '15 were an average group.  The Patriots are the only SB winner in the last 5 years were they had an elite OL.

The Jets need to upgrade their OL no question, but to say you have to have an elite OL to win a title seems a bit of hyperbole

 

Per FO, KC had the # 4 pass protecting OL in the league this past season.  They did suck in run blocking, but that doesn't matter much for a team that relies on the pass. 

Several other playoff teams last year had elite OLs.  Baltimore (# 8 pass, # 3 run); Green Bay (# 10 pass, # 6 run); New Orleans (# 3 pass, # 1 run); New England (# 5 pass, # 9 run).  

You're right that Philly did not have an elite OL in 2017.  But they were more than servicable.  # 12 in pass blocking, # 22 run blocking.  

Denver, same thing.  # 13 pass blocking, # 17 run blocking.  

Obviously much of it has to do with the QB.  QB's can make their bad/mediocre OL's look better by making proper pre-snap reads.  

But it seems clear you need to have an above average pass-blocking line to win a title, at the very least, especially if you don't have an elite QB.  And that's not easy to build.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JUST SIGN DAT CONKLIN GUY, AND DAT SCHREK AND THUNEY GUY AND WE'RE DONE

Sign every big name FA 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Per FO, KC had the # 4 pass protecting OL in the league this past season.  They did suck in run blocking, but that doesn't matter much for a team that relies on the pass. 

Several other playoff teams last year had elite OLs.  Baltimore (# 8 pass, # 3 run); Green Bay (# 10 pass, # 6 run); New Orleans (# 3 pass, # 1 run); New England (# 5 pass, # 9 run).  

You're right that Philly did not have an elite OL in 2017.  But they were more than servicable.  # 12 in pass blocking, # 22 run blocking.  

Denver, same thing.  # 13 pass blocking, # 17 run blocking.  

Obviously much of it has to do with the QB.  QB's can make their bad/mediocre OL's look better by making proper pre-snap reads.  

But it seems clear you need to have an above average pass-blocking line to win a title, at the very least, especially if you don't have an elite QB.  And that's not easy to build.

Well I guess your definition of elite is different than mine and I'll leave it at that.

Agreed though, OL is important and needs a serious upgrade.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiders offense lineman Guard  Gabe Jackson is  probably on the trade market.   Look for him to be possible moved when the NFL new year starts.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thuney is a way more realistic target since the pats are gonna tank for Trevor

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders offense lineman Guard  Gabe Jackson is  probably on the trade market.   Look for him to be possible moved when the NFL new year starts.

Depends on the cost.  I am a fan of his

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders offense lineman Guard  Gabe Jackson is  probably on the trade market.   Look for him to be possible moved when the NFL new year starts.

Where's Macc when you guys really need him?😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Do you?  The Chiefs were far from elite on the OL.  They were actually probably closer to awful than elite.

The Eagles line that won a SB was a patchwork group due to injuries.

Broncos from '15 were an average group.  The Patriots are the only SB winner in the last 5 years were they had an elite OL.

The Jets need to upgrade their OL no question, but to say you have to have an elite OL to win a title seems a bit of hyperbole

Regardless the jets still need to upgrade at at least two positions on the OL plus they have to decide are they going to resign Beachum to a two year deal or move on

 

our OL got a lot better last year once the two BUMS Kalil and Winters were benched

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need an elite OL to win championships.  Especially at the OT spots but also lately at the G spots too.  

You don't need an elite Box Safety to win a championship.  In fact its one of the least important positions on the field.  

Also there are 5 positions on the OL.  Only 2 Safety spots.  So obviously the volume of OL on the market will be higher.  

Teams like the Pats, Saints and Ravens (Flacco era), would spend a premium on their interior OL and would recruit JAGs OTs. The metrics told them their pocket QB needed a clean pocket to step up in. Is Sam a pocket QB? Should we follkw the same model?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Teams like the Pats, Saints and Ravens (Flacco era), would spend a premium on their interior OL and would recruit JAGs OTs. The metrics told them their pocket QB needed a clean pocket to step up in. Is Sam a pocket QB? Should we follkw the same model?

Sam is a traditional pocket passer who does like to move around and improvise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Teams like the Pats, Saints and Ravens (Flacco era), would spend a premium on their interior OL and would recruit JAGs OTs. The metrics told them their pocket QB needed a clean pocket to step up in. Is Sam a pocket QB? Should we follkw the same model?

Sam isn't fully a pocket QB, so I'd say no.  What the Pats do is irrelevant because they cheat and get away with holding every play.  Brees is short so he needed interior OL to able to hold their blocks and create "vision holes" he could see through.  And all 3 were QBs complete statues.

With Sam we need to be able to "move the pocket" and get him throwing on the run.  Even if Gase is resistant to that, it's what he's going to try to do when he doesn't immediately see someone open or someone to "throw open".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam isn't fully a pocket QB, so I'd say no.  What the Pats do is irrelevant because they cheat and get away with holding every play.  Brees is short so he needed interior OL to able to hold their blocks and create "vision holes" he could see through.  And all 3 were QBs complete statues.

With Sam we need to be able to "move the pocket" and get him throwing on the run.  Even if Gase is resistant to that, it's what he's going to try to do when he doesn't immediately see someone open or someone to "throw open".  

With Sam I'd say RT, RG and C would be your more important positions to strengthen.  He loves to roll right and is very effective doing so.  It takes away some of the field so you can't do it all the time, but if you can keep that side clean in front of him, I think he can be very effective.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Per FO, KC had the # 4 pass protecting OL in the league this past season.  They did suck in run blocking, but that doesn't matter much for a team that relies on the pass. 

Several other playoff teams last year had elite OLs.  Baltimore (# 8 pass, # 3 run); Green Bay (# 10 pass, # 6 run); New Orleans (# 3 pass, # 1 run); New England (# 5 pass, # 9 run).  

You're right that Philly did not have an elite OL in 2017.  But they were more than servicable.  # 12 in pass blocking, # 22 run blocking.  

Denver, same thing.  # 13 pass blocking, # 17 run blocking.  

Obviously much of it has to do with the QB.  QB's can make their bad/mediocre OL's look better by making proper pre-snap reads.  

But it seems clear you need to have an above average pass-blocking line to win a title, at the very least, especially if you don't have an elite QB.  And that's not easy to build.

Having a potential GOAT QB and dangerous weapons on the outside has a way of making a OL look good in pass pro.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Having a potential GOAT QB and dangerous weapons on the outside has a way of making a OL look good in pass pro.

FO tries to remove the "eye test bias" from the equation a bit and look at the parts individually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

FO tries to remove the "eye test bias" from the equation a bit and look at the parts individually.  

I myself believe in analytics, which is why I do not think Darnold has elite upside, unlike many here. But Mahomes is indeed elite and has weapons we would die for. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jgb said:

More pro bowl OLs than safeties and seems the majority want Adams shipped out

Yes because pro bowl OL >> Pro bowl S

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

You need an elite OL to win championships.  Especially at the OT spots but also lately at the G spots too.  

You don't need an elite Box Safety to win a championship.  In fact its one of the least important positions on the field.  

Also there are 5 positions on the OL.  Only 2 Safety spots.  So obviously the volume of OL on the market will be higher.  

What the hell is going on here? ;-) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Per FO, KC had the # 4 pass protecting OL in the league this past season.  They did suck in run blocking, but that doesn't matter much for a team that relies on the pass. 

Several other playoff teams last year had elite OLs.  Baltimore (# 8 pass, # 3 run); Green Bay (# 10 pass, # 6 run); New Orleans (# 3 pass, # 1 run); New England (# 5 pass, # 9 run).  

You're right that Philly did not have an elite OL in 2017.  But they were more than servicable.  # 12 in pass blocking, # 22 run blocking.  

Denver, same thing.  # 13 pass blocking, # 17 run blocking.  

Obviously much of it has to do with the QB.  QB's can make their bad/mediocre OL's look better by making proper pre-snap reads.  

But it seems clear you need to have an above average pass-blocking line to win a title, at the very least, especially if you don't have an elite QB.  And that's not easy to build.

you need to have your qb upright to win games? what you talkin bout man!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

I myself believe in analytics, which is why I do not think Darnold has elite upside, unlike many here. But Mahomes is indeed elite and has weapons we would die for. 

he has two weapons that we would want. the WR and TE, but really would we die for them? No

If Mahomes was on the jets he would probably have a worse record than darnold. If darnold was on the Cheifs you would be calling him elite and it would be mahomes that didnt have elite upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TNJet said:

Yes because pro bowl OL >> Pro bowl S

No kidding which is why I thought the comment I was responding to made no sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

he has two weapons that we would want. the WR and TE, but really would we die for them? No

If Mahomes was on the jets he would probably have a worse record than darnold. If darnold was on the Cheifs you would be calling him elite and it would be mahomes that didnt have elite upside. 

For this to be true it would follow that all first round QBs are essentially fungible. I can’t go they far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, New York Mick said:

Sign every big name FA 

everyone GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...