I can't imagine this being a "feel good gesture" type of hire

NIGHT STALKER

Or is it? What in the hell does Bryan Cox know about the defensive line? Wouldn't this be like hiring Victor Green as an Asst. LB coach?

Jets: The team has hired former NFL standout Bryan Cox as their assistant defensive line coach, The Star-Ledger has learned. New head coach Eric Mangini is waiting to complete his staff before announcing any hirings.

Cox, who played with the Jets, Bears, Patriots and Dolphins during his 12-year career, will assist defensive line coach Denny Marcin.

Also, the club has hired longtime NFL assistant Jimmy Raye to an unspecified position. He spent the past two seasons as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator in Oakland. Raye, who served as a mentor to new Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer in Kansas City (1998) and Washington (2001), spent one season with the Jets in 2002.

Cox may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but he will help to replace some of the nasty that left along with Donnie H. :box: he's a guy who will get in people's faces and hold them accountable.

I still remember him grabbing Wiltz's helmet after a bonehead play and then barking into his helmet from 2" away. Pretty funny stuff.

I like this Cox move better now that he actually doesn't have to do anything. If the goal is to have him be a vocal coach in practice....this is a good move.

Also I like having Raye back here. He knows the OC and he can provide a little guidance (experience) to an otherwise really young staff.

What a difference since '69 when we had like 4 or 5 assistants. You would think with all the technology in the world today, it would be reversed.

It is the technology that enables more detail which is the need for additional head coaches to digest it and use it.

Or is it? What in the hell does Bryan Cox know about the defensive line? Wouldn't this be like hiring Victor Green as an Asst. LB coach?

Jets: The team has hired former NFL standout Bryan Cox as their assistant defensive line coach, The Star-Ledger has learned. New head coach Eric Mangini is waiting to complete his staff before announcing any hirings.

Cox, who played with the Jets, Bears, Patriots and Dolphins during his 12-year career, will assist defensive line coach Denny Marcin.

Also, the club has hired longtime NFL assistant Jimmy Raye to an unspecified position. He spent the past two seasons as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator in Oakland. Raye, who served as a mentor to new Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer in Kansas City (1998) and Washington (2001), spent one season with the Jets in 2002.

the key word here is ASSISTANT,,,he aint in charge,,its like a intern job,,see whether he has any coaching skills for a year and move from there,,worse case is he cant coach but at least players will be afraid to piss him off...

Archived