Anyone buying stock this week ?

Dunnie

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Well , it's SEPT and anyone who stayed out of the market appears to have missed one of the greatest run ups in 40 years.

Bought TSLA @ $200 per in March. Now have 5x what I bought for more than double the $$ a share. Can't wait for "Battery Day"!

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bought TSLA @ $200 per in March. Now have 5x what I bought for more than double the $$ a share. Can't wait for "Battery Day"!

My daughter opened an E Trade account in 2017. had 15K, put 5K in Tesla, 5K in Amazon and 5K in a tech fund.  has over 50 K in the account.  not bad for a newbie!!!!    I paid about 800 for Tesla in July or so, pre split.   It has tripled for me.  Should have bought in March or bought more.  Good Luck!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My daughter opened an E Trade account in 2017. had 15K, put 5K in Tesla, 5K in Amazon and 5K in a tech fund.  has over 50 K in the account.  not bad for a newbie!!!!    I paid about 800 for Tesla in July or so, pre split.   It has triples for me.  Should have bought in March or bought more.  Good Luck!!!!

Oh, and looks like I was right back then, no national Stafford Act implementation....

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've been selling TSLA the past couple weeks into the stock spilt.  Missing some gains but I just had to start scaling back.  Have about 50% of what I had in April.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to rotate out of tech a bit.  The bifurcation in the market is unreal and there has to be some type of reversion to the mean at some point.  Either the solid but unspectacular growers start to catch up or the Top 5-10 stocks in the S&P start to slow down (the performance gap is simply unsustainable even in a 0% rate environment where the Fed will buy junk bonds and let inflation run over 2% target).  I've been selectively trimming things like Nvidia (which I've owned since 2009), AAPL, MSFT, AMZN and a few others to get into more cyclical things that should work as the economy comes back over the next 12 months..... some boring stuff like industrials, some retail, some very targeted energy and financial names, etc.  Watching one position/stock in an IRA go from $25K to $50K in 3 months is great, but I've been taking some chips off the table (ex. take $15K of that gain and spread it to some boring dividend payers like VZ and industrials like FedEx, etc.).  And, as @TuscanyTile2 knows, I've been sitting on some GLD for a while as an inflation hedge.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Well , it's SEPT and anyone who stayed out of the market appears to have missed one of the greatest run ups in 40 years.

Which makes "complete sense", given that the economy has been absolutely roaring these past 6 months, due to Covid and the shutdowns!

I'm sure this has "absolutely nothing" to do with the Federal Reserve's money printing.  So keep jumping into the market because "it can never go down".

Please note the sarcasm.

• Upvote 1

Which makes "complete sense", given that the economy has been absolutely roaring these past 6 months, due to Covid and the shutdowns!
I'm sure this has "absolutely nothing" to do with the Federal Reserve's money printing.  So keep jumping into the market because "it can never go down".
Please note the sarcasm.
Just gotta sell when it feels like the bubble will burst.

Market has been good to me thankfully ... And w a vaccine coming I see it only getting better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

32 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Just gotta sell when it feels like the bubble will burst.

Market has been good to me thankfully emoji51.png ... And w a vaccine coming I see it only getting better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

As long as you're aware that it's a gigantic bubble then at least you understand what you're dealing with.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, batman10023 said:

you guys buying/owning Tesla are nuts in my opinion.

outside of the greater fool theory - Tesla would have to execute perfectly over the next 5 years to even remotely grow into this valuation. 

i am short (and have been for a few weeks) Tesla.  it has not been fun. 

the last few days seem to be a little better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

the last few days seem to be a little better.

i exited the majority of my short position in Tesla today.  

i can't imagine anyone actually buying Tesla when it was at 500 (post split) other than short sellers crying uncle. and man they must be felt massive pain then.

it was valued as i believe the 6th (from memory) largest market cap company in america.  bigger than berkshire hathaway. $575 Billion dollars.

and sold 500k cars a year (i know growing) - at a loss.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 6:24 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

As long as you're aware that it's a gigantic bubble then at least you understand what you're dealing with.

If your investing by dollar cost averaging over time it's irrelevant unless you lose your nerve in big downturns.  

• Sympathy 1

On 9/8/2020 at 6:05 PM, batman10023 said:

i exited the majority of my short position in Tesla today.  

i can't imagine anyone actually buying Tesla when it was at 500 (post split) other than short sellers crying uncle. and man they must be felt massive pain then.

it was valued as i believe the 6th (from memory) largest market cap company in america.  bigger than berkshire hathaway. $575 Billion dollars.

and sold 500k cars a year (i know growing) - at a loss.

I looked at the New Porsche Tacan a few weeks ago.  Looks like a crappy car compared to Tesla.  I think they are going to continue to kill it against the coming competition.  They simply have the best product.  The biggest threat is the commitment by China and Japan toward hydrogen.  The electric vehicle market has some big hurdles and coming competition that could wipe it out.  

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

I looked at the New Porsche Tacan a few weeks ago.  Looks like a crappy car compared to Tesla.  I think they are going to continue to kill it against the coming competition.  They simply have the best product.  The biggest threat is the commitment by China and Japan toward hydrogen.  The electric vehicle market has some big hurdles and coming competition that could wipe it out.  

Can you go into a bit more detail on the comparison?

the market for Tesla stock seems to be pricing in them being a huge winner. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Biggs said:

As he said, the Tesla are selling at a loss.  The fact that they are "killing it" against a company making a profit per unit should not surprise.  My understanding is that a big chunk of their profit is based on selling "green" credits.  The hydrogen thing is a shame because I think a bunch of the domestic manufacturers were pretty deep into the fuel cell research, only to be looked at as having been caught with their pants down with the Prius.  I'm not sure where they are at now because I stopped following some time ago.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, batman10023 said:

Can you go into a bit more detail on the comparison?

the market for Tesla stock seems to be pricing in them being a huge winner. 

I love Porsche's.  The 911 is a fantastic car so is the Macan SUV.  The Tacan I looked at underperforms the Tesla for about 50K more.  It looks cheap in places the Tesla looks solid.  I get it, it's a Porsche but there's a reason Tesla is taking sales from BMW and Mercedes.  It's a great car and it's priced right for the mass high end luxury car market.  The Tacan looks like a nice car in the mid 70's.  It's hard to get them for under 125K.  I would definitely buy the Tesla over the Tacan.  It's a nicer car, it's proven and it's considerably cheaper.  

On 9/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, batman10023 said:

you guys buying/owning Tesla are nuts in my opinion.

outside of the greater fool theory - Tesla would have to execute perfectly over the next 5 years to even remotely grow into this valuation. 

i am short (and have been for a few weeks) Tesla.  it has not been fun. 

Tesla is up almost 50 percent since you posted this.....   I

my investment this year has doubled.  

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Roger Vick 43 said:

Wow!  

I'm new here.  I didn't realize you guys were not only experts in NFL Football, but stock market gurus as well!

Not only am I going to enjoy the Jets' next run to as Superbowl, I'm going to get wicked rich.

Wish I had found this website earlier.

We are experts in almost everything.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Bought Tesla ages ago at <$180, then the split happened and now I have 5X the shares at nearly triple the initial price. 

Flipped a few for a bunch of lows and will sit back and see what happens this year. 

Turned 2016 2K seed into nearly 15K. I'm cool with that. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, Roger Vick 43 said:

Wow!  

I'm new here.  I didn't realize you guys were not only experts in NFL Football, but stock market gurus as well!

Not only am I going to enjoy the Jets' next run to as Superbowl, I'm going to get wicked rich.

Have you seen our thread on how to please a woman???

On 11/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, Roger Vick 43 said:

Wow!  

On 11/28/2020 at 12:56 AM, Dcat said:

We are experts in almost everything.  

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Have you seen our thread on how to please a woman???

I said almost anything.

I continue to buy stocks through index funds every month, the same thing I've been doing for 25 years now.   When I stopped buying stocks and started buying markets, I stopped being concerned about when to sell.  Rebalancing tells you when to buy and sell not the price of stocks.  

The New Year is a good time to rebalance.