NY Jets Coaching Changes

rangerous

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I give Gase a lot of flack and I think it was a mistake that we hired him but the offense could make big strides if we fix the oline alone.  That is even without adding a back and the two WRs we need.

Anything “could” happen but there is nothing in Gase’s past as a HC that tell me he can produce even a middle of road offense.  

I certainly hope I’m wrong and that the past four years Gase’s talent was just so bad that the best he could do was produce the 21st worst offense in the league.  

I guess it’s possible and he’s not just an awful coach that only showed success with one of the greatest QB’s off all time - who essentially acts as his own OC.

Let’s hope I’m wrong!

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I give Gase a lot of flack and I think it was a mistake that we hired him but the offense could make big strides if we fix the oline alone.  That is even without adding a back and the two WRs we need.

I don't like Gase.  Didn't like the hire and after watching the team for a season, there is nothing I have seen that suggests this team was well coached.  At least while you watch the games.  That said, this team could have easily quit after a 1-7 start.  6-2 is not easy to do in the NFL - I don't care what the schedule looked like, winning 6 of 8 is tough.  He deserves some credit for that and has earned another season. 

However, at least in my view (for whatever that is worth) this offense and Sam Darnold need to take a quantum leap forward in 2020, and at the very least we need to be fighting for a playoff spot in December if I am going to be happy with him getting a 3rd season.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, TNJet said:

Sam's offensive coach Gase's offense, is always ranked dead end of the NFL the last 3 or 4 years with or without Sam. Yeah lets blame Sam...lol.

Okay, I agree. Sam was the QB, he deserves some.

22 hours ago, TNJet said:

Oh yes, he partied. And partied hard. He's still our franchise QB for a couple more years and he gets my support since we have trotted out has beens and losers like Sanchez, Fitztragic and McClown for over a decade. I've seen more positive from Sam in 2 years than those turds put together.

No, you really haven't. But you really like Sam, obviously.

21 hours ago, TNJet said:

Yes, but each ended in disasterly fashion. 

disasterly?????  :rolleyes:

Well, I Know his offense has always sucked without some hof'er named Manning running it. Am I a genius the same as Gase?

No.

He will also have the chance to prove all he needed was his people around him to succeed. It'll be funny when the excuses crank up this season for why we suck.

This applies to the QB also, correct?

NOTE: I'm just breaking chops a bit here, don't take it seriously. It's just weird to me how you can't bring yourself to give Gase any type of credit for what was a pretty decent job last year. He held it together despite all the injuries, overcame a terrible start to the season, and wait for it... some pretty mediocre play at QB.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No blame being given. However if I’m blocking or catching for Sam I’d probably start getting a little annoyed that he’s absolved from everything and it’s everyone else’s fault. Also considering he most likely got sick and missed time because he was partying. 

Well then maybe they shouldn't suck at what they do, then they wouldn't get the blame.  Sam plays incredibly well at times, despite having dogsh*t at WR and OL for both of his years here so far.  The OL and WRs (not named Robby or Crowder) played like aforementioned dogsh*t despite having 3 different QBs play around them, 4 if you count McCown in 2018.

Brian Winters screaming and attempting to blame Sam for a sack last year, after he let the Miami Dolphins 32nd ranked pass rush make him look like a human turnstile in 1.7 seconds or less, was comically pathetic.  F*ck his feelings, especially when you take into consideration the money hes making. 

As for the "got sick and missed time because he was partying" part?  This is still the absolute dumbest thing to get on Sam for.  He was "partying" responsibly by all accounts.  Something that every player, even Brady, does, and got unlucky because he never got "the kissing disease" before.  He didn't drive drunk and injure himself by crashing a car.  He didn't blackout and faceplant, injuring himself.  He got a disease that 95% (actual statistic) of the human population will get in their lifetime.  He just so happened to get it in his 20s, not when he was a kid/teenager.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Well then maybe they shouldn't suck at what they do, then they wouldn't get the blame.  Sam plays incredibly well at times, despite having dogsh*t at WR and OL for both of his years here so far.  The OL and WRs (not named Robby or Crowder) played like aforementioned dogsh*t despite having 3 different QBs play around them, 4 if you count McCown in 2018.

Brian Winters screaming and attempting to blame Sam for a sack last year, after he let the Miami Dolphins 32nd ranked pass rush make him look like a human turnstile in 1.7 seconds or less, was comically pathetic.  F*ck his feelings, especially when you take into consideration the money hes making. 

As for the "got sick and missed time because he was partying" part?  This is still the absolute dumbest thing to get on Sam for.  He was "partying" responsibly by all accounts.  Something that every player, even Brady, does, and got unlucky because he never got "the kissing disease" before.  He didn't drive drunk and injure himself by crashing a car.  He didn't blackout and faceplant, injuring himself.  He got a disease that 95% (actual statistic) of the human population will get in their lifetime.  He just so happened to get it in his 20s, not when he was a kid/teenager.

51C81DA9-6970-4ED7-A213-D2F676D66CBC.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

His biggest accomplishment was being forced to hire Greg Williams.  

I think that was Chris Johnson’s accomplishment.  I don’t even think it was Mac.  Chris knew he could not fire Bowles because of the Stooge Coordinators he hired.  So by hiring a real DC he bought some good coaching there and a potential interim HC if he needed to fire Gase.

Williams was a great hire.  

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That statement is simply amazing.

It's 2020 for crying out loud!

Though pathetic for the Jets, it speaks volumes about Gase.  

It’s time to be excited. We needed to be the team ready to take the division the moment the Patriots ended, and we are.   

SAR I

22 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But pretending like bringing back the same coaches that put up this monstrosity is a good thing is just silly...

Almost as silly as believing the main reason last years roster finished last at anything was only because of coaching.

And repeating it over again as if that makes it right or as if that team had the talent to be better

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, TNJet said:

I was hoping to upgrade from Pollack. Although he had a crappy unit, that crappy unit played better before he got here.

On the one hand I like that there are no changes, minus two assistants. But damn the oline was so bad last year I didn't see how Pollack could survive. Hopefully it turns out to be a talent issue and not coaching. But it seemed to be both honestly.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So it is late and I am going to log off instead of banning you like you deserve.

1) Personal attacks are not allowed.

2) I have posted 1,000 times about how much this site costs to run and how we got banned from ad networks for images that google considers to be obscene. Yet you post something like that. Garbage.

3) Don't PM me. If you PM me to say that calling another poster a v*gina doesn't break a rule you will be banned. Actually if you PM me at all, I am just going to ban you.

You have been given a lot of rope here. Just so it is clear, the rules do apply to you. You have been banned before just move on and avoid breaking the few simple rules we have here and there won't be any problems,

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

So it is late and I am going to log off instead of banning you like you deserve.

1) Personal attacks are not allowed.

2) I have posted 1,000 times about how much this site costs to run and how we got banned from ad networks for images that google considers to be obscene. Yet you post something like that. Garbage.

3) Don't PM me. If you PM me to say that calling another poster a v*gina doesn't break a rule you will be banned. Actually if you PM me at all, I am just going to ban you.

You have been given a lot of rope here. Just so it is clear, the rules do apply to you. You have been banned before just move on and avoid breaking the few simple rules we have here and there won't be any problems,

Come back to bed

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Keeping the coaching staff together is a good indication that everyone in that building believes Maccagnan was the singular cause of all the teams’ struggles last season, and it’s also interesting because if Gase was the obnoxious, narcissistic weasel Mehta paints him out to be, some of these coaches would have happily skated. Gregg Williams doesn’t have to stay with the Jets, but you didn’t hear a peep about him wanting out. Reflexively, you want to dismiss Gase and start thinking about who Douglas could bring in next, but then you have to wonder how real or sustainable the 6-2 finish was, and how that reflects on the leadership within the building.

Williams does have to stay unless he got a HC opportunity and I haven’t seen anything saying he even got an interview.

20 hours ago, TNJet said:

He will also have the chance to prove all he needed was his people around him to succeed. It'll be funny when the excuses crank up this season for why we suck.

And if we don't suck?

I know youre hoping for 6-10 whatever, hoping he gets fired.  Then what it becomes like a 6-2 finish, where we make excuses to why 6-2 wasn't really 6-2?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And if we don't suck?

I know youre hoping for 6-10 whatever, hoping he gets fired.  Then what it becomes like a 6-2 finish, where we make excuses to why 6-2 wasn't really 6-2?

No I'm not hoping for anything but success. The last decade I've learned to narrow my optimism down because I'm tired of having my hopes destroyed by week 4 every year. So I won't expect shyt this season regardless of how great our offseason goes until I see results on the field. So from now on I'm going to be the 6-10 guy or worse of Jet expectations. 

• Thumb Down 2

9 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No I'm not hoping for anything but success. The last decade I've learned to narrow my optimism down because I'm tired of having my hopes destroyed by week 4 every year. So I won't expect shyt this season regardless of how great our offseason goes until I see results on the field. So from now on I'm going to be the 6-10 guy or worse of Jet expectations. 

No, youre calling for the team to go 6-10 so the HC can be fired.

Seriously, how many times this last decade did we have the talent to make us think there was reason to be optimistic about the teams upcoming record?  Its been a black hole when its come to talent being brought in.  Other than some first round talent that gave some hope, nothing.  

But why wouldn't you want the team to go 10-6 and for the narrative to change.  For talent to define the team.  Instead of losing so the the HC gets fired and we can have another 2-3 year setback? 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

On the one hand I like that there are no changes, minus two assistants. But damn the oline was so bad last year I didn't see how Pollack could survive. Hopefully it turns out to be a talent issue and not coaching. But it seemed to be both honestly.

I could tell quickly, Steve Marshall was far superior than Pollack. Why fire Marshall? Dumb move by Gase.

20 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'm not looking to pick on you here, but if that's the outlook you're going to have going forward, why even bother?

I don't see Darnold becoming more then a mid tier QB, but there is nothing that would make me happier then for him to prove me wrong. I've gone into each of his first to years hoping he would, and I'll do the same this year.

I think your dislike of Gase is fine, you're allowed to not like a HC, but to root for your team to fail just so he gets fired is kind of self serving. It seems pointless to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Seriously, how many times this last decade did we have the talent to make us think there was reason to be optimistic about the teams upcoming record?  Its been a black hole when its come to talent being brought in.  Other than some first round talent that gave some hope, nothing.  

But why wouldn't you want the team to go 10-6 and for the narrative to change.  For talent to define the team.  Instead of losing so the the HC gets fired and we can have another 2-3 year setback? 

Did you read my last post? Nothing would make me happier then to go 10-6. I expect less because thats what the Jets seem to always give me, along with high blood pressure and a stressed out Sunday evening. Last year taught me that there will aaaallllwwwaaays be some freak reason for us to be a joke early. From signing the worst kicker in the history of the NFL to lose to the Bills while up by double digits most the game, yet lose by 1. To Sam getting freakin Mono no less. And throw the season out the window before it really ever begins. So yeah, I'll tell you by week 8 if Gase is a good coach or not from now on. Good theory imo.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not looking to pick on you here, but if that's the outlook you're going to have going forward, why even bother?

If you can't bring yourself to feel good about a team or have any hope for them doing well, why be a fan? Seems pointless to me.

Anyone who knows me should know I've  been overly optimistic of this team for about 20 years. Last season I have decided to take a new path thats all. Its only for my health. I get soo disappointed when my hopes are high, only to always get them tarnished. But but, we have the best safety ever. Gimme a fvkin break.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Nothing would make me happier then to go 10-6. I expect less because thats what the Jets seem to always give me, along with high blood pressure and a stressed out Sunday evening. Last year taught me that there will aaaallllwwwaaays be some freak reason for us to be a joke early.

aaaallllwwwaaays?

So why watch for care?

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

aaaallllwwwaaays?

So why watch for care?

Because I do care. Too much I care about this team. Thats why I'm on this board daily. Its pretty obvious. I'm just saying I'm not going to expect much from now on until I see results. I usually get pumped after the offseasons because of the upgrades via draft and free agency. This year I'm gonna expect about 6-10.

50 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Anyone who knows me should know I've  been overly optimistic of this team for about 20 years. Last season I have decided to take a new path thats all. Its only for my health. I get soo disappointed when my hopes are high, only to always get them tarnished. But but, we have the best safety ever. Gimme a fvkin break.

You're all over the place...

Butt fumbling, ranting about Gase, FA, your hopes, dreams and lack thereof, trying to explain something. I just don't have a clue what it is.

Here's what I've gathered so far though. You don't like Gase, will take a pessimistic view about the team going forward, and you seem to get very emotional.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No blame being given. However if I’m blocking or catching for Sam I’d probably start getting a little annoyed that he’s absolved from everything and it’s everyone else’s fault. Also considering he most likely got sick and missed time because he was partying. 

Sam = Winning record (you want to bring up the competition? Fine, but Jet Back-ups weren't winning any of those games) in games played 2019.  Many flashes of potential greatness, just like in 2018, and of course some horrid decisions too, although many of those horrid decisions were consolidated in only a handful of games.

Every other QB who played in the 6 total games missed by Sam in his first 2 years....0-6...and DOORS TOTALLY BLOWN THE F**K OFF in ALL 6 GAMES....Back-up QB's with maybe the worst bottom feeding roster in the NFL..just not a good mix.

There seems to be a slight difference when Sam plays.  Now, this year, I think Sam takes another step up, a step up where he is dangerous and the Jets are competitive no matter who they play, provided Douglas can put together at the very least an AVERAGE OL that will be upgraded from "1 of the 3 WORST OL's in NFL history 2019 NYJ OL...50+ Sacks Allowed coupled with Running Game averaging LESS THAN 3.5 yds a carry"...again that has only been done by 2 other OLs in NFL History....(Raises glass to "Milkcarton" Mike Maccagnan, his resumes for Janitor jobs in the NFL have all been rejected to date)

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're all over the place...

Butt fumbling, ranting about Gase, FA, your hopes, dreams and lack thereof, trying to explain something. I just don't have a clue what it is.

Here's what I've gathered so far though. You don't like Gase, will take a pessimistic view about the team going forward, and you seem to get very emotional.

Sounds like a true Jet fan to me. Thanks man...