Training for the Season not the Draft

BCJet

I heard on the combine coverage that Chase Young said the reason he chose to not work out wasn't because of the change of format for the combine, but instead that hes "training for Week 1, hes not training for the draft".  Really interesting comment and I would not be surprised to see more of the truly elite guys not work out and instead rest so that they are better prepared for their rookie seasons.  

The all-star game, combine, pre-draft is known to exhaust these guys and while most guys are jockeying for draft spots and in turn millions of dollars depending where they get picked, it would be interesting to see what happens if the top 10 or so guys lean towards rest rather then go nuts during this whole pre-draft thing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

The combine is the biggest overrated waste of time in history. Because an athlete can do track and field exercises means he can compete at the highest level in the most dangerous, violent, and grueling game on Earth? Me thinks not.

It’s not a waste of time. There is a positive correlation between draft performance and game performance, although the r-value is obviously far below 1.0.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s not a waste of time. There is a positive correlation between draft performance and game performance, although the r-value is obviously far below 1.0.

Agreed, direct comparison of players doing the same drills, can separate the better player. No I don’t believe that who runs the fastest 40, or bench’s the most will be a star.

It does get you to see the players character also. Although the combine doesn’t guarantee a players success, a good front office will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Something we’ve lacked for a long time.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Combine is also useful for all the physicals.  2 players found out they have fractures which will require surgery.  Much better to find out now.

In addition, it's a great chance for players who are not 1st rounders to get on scout's radar.  A good performance will have nfl teams going back and re visiting their tape.

• Upvote 2