Jump to content

WR Market Rumor


KRL
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Wishful thinking.  Higgins is still a possibility at 48, depending on what he does in his pro day..  Mims is more likely a trade up candidate if he is still on the board in early 2.

The more I look at this draft, and the more you start to slot some of these receivers, the idea of trading up in the 2nd is making more and more sense to me.  If we assume OT at 11, then I would be in favor of flipping pick 79 to move up for the right receiver.  It makes a lot of sense.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The more I look at this draft, and the more you start to slot some of these receivers, the idea of trading up in the 2nd is making more and more sense to me.  If we assume OT at 11, then I would be in favor of flipping pick 79 to move up for the right receiver.  It makes a lot of sense.  

Which also puts into play trading back in round 1, if there are actually tiers of OTs and guys like Wirfs, Thomas and Becton are in one tier, and wills/jackson are in the next.  I could see trading back in the 14-16 range, taking a tackle, then trading up in round 2.  

If they don’t trade up, i still don’t see them burning a 3rd rounder to move up in round 2.  So i see them taking someone like Pittman in round 2, rather than trading up and burning capital to get someone like Mims.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Anderson may want 12+ million, he may not get it:

 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/

6:15 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): A disappointing FA market for receivers?

On Tuesday, I detailed how the free agent market at the wide receiver position may shake out
at the top. Sources here at the NFL Combine tell me that many of the free agent wideouts will
be disappointed in the contracts offered as teams will happily turn to the NFL Draft to select
one of the talented receivers available this year. Last night (and below), I mentioned a similar
dilemma that veteran free agent running backs are expected to face.

Couple points . Yes this Wr class is very deep for the 2020 NFL draft but why there will still be a market for Fa’s Wr.    How many Wr’s come in and produce right away.  
Also some veteran Fa’s  Wr ( Robbie Anderson) offer a unique skill set that team covets.  ( Can’t teach speed)  .

I seriously doubt Robbie Anderson  isn’t going to get paid. ( there will be a big market for his service).   Not to mention will cost a lot more to sign with a team with high State tax rate versus a team with no state tax.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Which also puts into play trading back in round 1, if there are actually tiers of OTs and guys like Wirfs, Thomas and Becton are in one tier, and wills/jackson are in the next.  I could see trading back in the 14-16 range, taking a tackle, then trading up in round 2.  

If they don’t trade up, i still don’t see them burning a 3rd rounder to move up in round 2.  So i see them taking someone like Pittman in round 2, rather than trading up and burning capital to get someone like Mims.  

I disagree.  If the choice was taking Pittman at 48 or trading 79 and moving up and getting Mims, I’m trading up for Mims everyday of the week.  That’s a no-brainer. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I disagree.  If the choice was taking Pittman at 48 or trading 79 and moving up and getting Mims, I’m trading up for Mims everyday of the week.  That’s a no-brainer. 

I don’t think it is.  It would probably take trading their 2 and a 3rd rounder to move up and that’s not what the jets need.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t think it is.  It would probably take trading their 2 and a 3rd rounder to move up and that’s not what the jets need.  

The Jets need difference makers, and they need them fast.   If I can get Mims in the second and all I have to do is sacrifice 79 to do so, I’ll do that in a nano second.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need difference makers, and they need them fast.   If I can get Mims in the second and all I have to do is sacrifice 79 to do so, I’ll do that in a nano second.  

I highly doubt that’s what douglas would do though. The jets need so much.  But i hear you, after they presumably take an OT at 11, you have to assume they’re going wr in the 2nd and then cb in the 3rd, with the other 3rd tbd.  But i don’t see them burning that much draft capital to move up.  If anything i would rather them take 2 wr prospects.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The more I look at this draft, and the more you start to slot some of these receivers, the idea of trading up in the 2nd is making more and more sense to me.  If we assume OT at 11, then I would be in favor of flipping pick 79 to move up for the right receiver.  It makes a lot of sense.  

The other way to look at the WRs is that there are so many that you should be able to find starters thru three rounds and contributors all the way thru the draft to the UDFAs. The Jets have so many needs that trading a high third rounder to move up in the second just feels like a huge expense. That's the sort of move a stacked team can afford to make; not the Jets, who will probably be looking for starters on the OL, at WR and CB. Perhaps multiple starters (or at least contributors) at all three positions. 

I'd much rather see a trade down from #11 than a trade up in the second, but I think the only way that happens is if there's a run on the OTs and JD prefers the extra pick(s) his top WR there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The other way to look at the WRs is that there are so many that you should be able to find starters thru three rounds and contributors all the way thru the draft to the UDFAs. The Jets have so many needs that trading a high third rounder to move up in the second just feels like a huge expense. That's the sort of move a stacked team can afford to make; not the Jets, who will probably be looking for starters on the OL, at WR and CB. Perhaps multiple starters (or at least contributors) at all three positions. 

I'd much rather see a trade down from #11 than a trade up in the second, but I think the only way that happens is if there's a run on the OTs and JD prefers the extra pick(s) his top WR there. 

Pick 79 isn’t really that high of a pick.  My whole point is that getting a higher quality prospect at the expense of a mid 3rd round pick isn’t a bad proposition.  Let’s face it, the chances of drafting 4 starters with first 4 picks isn’t high.  Drafts rarely work out  that way.  If the right receiver is still there at 34 or 35, I’m all for trading up to get him.  I’ll always take higher quality over quantity.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No to trading up, just no.

Hey there are a number of Wr's i like better than others, just like everyone else on here but the fact remains we have huge holes at:

Oline (need at least two)

WR (should get at least two)

CB

Edge

If you trade up it is not for example mims over pittman, it ends up being Mims over pittman and Hennesy or Mims over Pittman and Peart, etc etc.

Lots of good Wrs; let them come to us, none of these dudes including the top two are worth chasing after.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I think there's a slight chance, but we'll see.  This class reminds me a ton of the 2014 WR class, which saw guys like Devante Adams, Allen Robinson, and Jarvis landry slip into the 2nd round.  I don't really see where in the first round we'll have a run of Wide Receivers go.  Of course it's possible, but there is most likely going to be a few 1st round talents at the position to be had in the 2nd round because of how deep this class is.

We may get lucky, I could see teams passing on WR early to snag another position that is not as deep. I think we are the first team in the draft order that could opt for WR.

The only teams I'm like 100% sure will take WRs round 1 are the Raiders and Eagles. I could see others but those seem like lead pipe locks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, slats said:

The other way to look at the WRs is that there are so many that you should be able to find starters thru three rounds and contributors all the way thru the draft to the UDFAs. The Jets have so many needs that trading a high third rounder to move up in the second just feels like a huge expense. That's the sort of move a stacked team can afford to make; not the Jets, who will probably be looking for starters on the OL, at WR and CB. Perhaps multiple starters (or at least contributors) at all three positions. 

I'd much rather see a trade down from #11 than a trade up in the second, but I think the only way that happens is if there's a run on the OTs and JD prefers the extra pick(s) his top WR there. 

Exactly. I’d rather have Pittman and peoples-jones than just Mims.  The jets can get multiple good prospects, and if they finally improve the OL and give darnold time he will benefit more by having multiple targets including hopefully a rb besides bell who can catch.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Pick 79 isn’t really that high of a pick.  My whole point is that getting a higher quality prospect at the expense of a mid 3rd round pick isn’t a bad proposition.  Let’s face it, the chances of drafting 4 starters with first 4 picks isn’t high.  Drafts rarely work out  that way.  If the right receiver is still there at 34 or 35, I’m all for trading up to get him.  I’ll always take higher quality over quantity.  

Or they could make that trade up for a guy who would've been there when they were going to pick anyway (no way to know) at the potential expense of, say, a starting center at #79. 

Jets are in a position where they need both quantity and quality, and can't really afford to give up one for the other. This is where you have to trust your scouts and your board. There really should be enough depth in this draft to find starting caliber players at the Jets biggest offensive needs well thru the top 100 prospects. I really hate the idea of giving up a pick in that range to possibly get a better guy in the second. That player would have to be rated WAY higher than everyone else on my board to even consider such a move. Like I guy I was considering at #11 still there early in the second.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slats said:

Or they could make that trade up for a guy who would've been there when they were going to pick anyway (no way to know) at the potential expense of, say, a starting center at #79. 

Jets are in a position where they need both quantity and quality, and can't really afford to give up one for the other. This is where you have to trust your scouts and your board. There really should be enough depth in this draft to find starting caliber players at the Jets biggest offensive needs well thru the top 100 prospects. I really hate the idea of giving up a pick in that range to possibly get a better guy in the second. That player would have to be rated WAY higher than everyone else on my board to even consider such a move. Like I guy I was considering at #11 still there early in the second.  

I don’t think the jets will be trading up majorly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, maybe use a 5th or 6th to move up a few spots but nothing more.  I think the big question is, do they move back from 11 if they feel the OT they can get at 11 is the same value as the one they can get at, say, 14 or 15.  Getting an extra 3rd and still getting a josh jones or Wills, would be amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be pissed if we come out of this draft with less than 2 WR and 2 OL picks. This draft is loaded at both spots.

This FA group of WR is pitiful. I'm a big fan of the 2nd tier of OL in FA, though. 

I'd love a scenario where we spend all of the first 4 picks we have on WR and OL. Plus sign 1-2 OL in FA. You're essentially rebuilding the whole offense if you can pull this off.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t think the jets will be trading up majorly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, maybe use a 5th or 6th to move up a few spots but nothing more.  I think the big question is, do they move back from 11 if they feel the OT they can get at 11 is the same value as the one they can get at, say, 14 or 15.  Getting an extra 3rd and still getting a josh jones or Wills, would be amazing.

I think if there's an OT they believe in there at #11 that they won't take any chances, they'll just pull the trigger. I could see them trading down if all the OTs they like are gone and possibly taking a guy like Ruggs in the first and regrouping on the OL with the extra selection(s). 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I'll be pissed if we come out of this draft with less than 2 WR and 2 OL picks. This draft is loaded at both spots.

This FA group of WR is pitiful. I'm a big fan of the 2nd tier of OL in FA, though. 

I'd love a scenario where we spend all of the first 4 picks we have on WR and OL. Plus sign 1-2 OL in FA. You're essentially rebuilding the whole offense if you can pull this off.

Considering Robby is the #2 guy on this list, I'd have to agree with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, slats said:

I think if there's an OT they believe in there at #11 that they won't take any chances, they'll just pull the trigger. I could see them trading down if all the OTs they like are gone and possibly taking a guy like Ruggs in the first and regrouping on the OL with the extra selection(s). 

Let’s say wills and jones are there at 11 and they get an offer to move back to 14 for a 3rd rounder.  This could be the type of offer/decision they need to make, and it could be too risky.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I honestly don't think Robbie is worth more than 6 mill .. dude never WINS the ball.... Ever

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

Willie Snead gets 6 million a year. 

Albert Wilson, Marquise Lee and Kenny stills get 8 million a year. 

If you don't think Robby deserves more than 6 million you don't understand the cap. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I think if there's an OT they believe in there at #11 that they won't take any chances, they'll just pull the trigger. I could see them trading down if all the OTs they like are gone and possibly taking a guy like Ruggs in the first and regrouping on the OL with the extra selection(s). 

Agreed. A team in desperate need of OL help can't afford to gamble that the guy that want will be scooped up. Especially when other teams know we need OL and will be likely trying to trade up and to snag that player before we pick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can we just give Robby the contract that Macc gave to Quincy? And take it away from Quincy?

Been saying this since we signed Enunwa. Logic dictated you sign Robby, so of course Mac instead gives Enunwa 9 mil per after a serious neck injury only to watch him reinjure his neck again after contributing -4 yards on the season.

I used to like Enunwa and his fire on the field, but the dude has 1617 career yards and 5 career touchdowns and has effectively become nothing more than a cap leech. Absolutely ridiculous that he was given that contract and is peak Mac ineptitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. A team in desperate need of OL help can't afford to gamble that the guy that want will be scooped up. Especially when other teams know we need OL and will be likely trying to trade up and to snag that player before we pick.

I think when it all shakes out you will have teams pining for the top wrs and 2 of Ruggs, Jeudy and lamb will be gone by 11 and the jets just need to sit tight and take the OT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If that’s Anderson’s market it’s pretty reasonable to re-sign him. That’s Crowder’s contract. Seems like reasonable market for a limited WR who’s really solid at something.

I’d like to see two guys get drafted in the round 2/3 range. Better shot one hits and this is a great draft for it. I’m sure some WR gets signed - likely Anderson or Perriman. Crowder, Berrios, and Smith likely make the roster. Draft two guys, have them compete, hopefully you’ve got a WR room for a while. 

Would move up for Mims. Basically checks every box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WR rumor from Dom Mozzerella:

Jets want speed at the WR position and like 99 percentile SPARQ athlete: Donovan Peoples-Jones. If you haven’t, check out his freakish vertical jump. Dude jumps so high it looks like he’s going to get hurt landing. 

 https://www.nfl.com/prospects/donovan-peoples-jones?id=32195045-4f60-4060-aa06-be3909ebff80

Doesn’t hurt that he has huge hands and runs a 4.48.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...