WR Market Rumor

KRL

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Pick 79 isn’t really that high of a pick.  My whole point is that getting a higher quality prospect at the expense of a mid 3rd round pick isn’t a bad proposition.  Let’s face it, the chances of drafting 4 starters with first 4 picks isn’t high.  Drafts rarely work out  that way.  If the right receiver is still there at 34 or 35, I’m all for trading up to get him.  I’ll always take higher quality over quantity.  

Tanny used to practice this philosophy....it got us Level 1 starters but absolutley 0 depth.

I think that for his first draft caliing the shots, JoeD might very well sit back and let the draft come to him.....

The only real scenario where i could see a trade back is if there was an early run on the OT's and someone is crazy about Jeudy/Lamb....trade back 5 spots or so and grab Josh Jones OT Houston. Then really flesh out the oline and receiver corps. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

When I think of Robby's season those are the ONLY two plays I think of.  Nice catches, one was a blown coverage vs. Dallas.

I like Robby at $8-9M....I don't like him north of $10M per year.

Problem with that line of thinking, its not only the catches that were put onto a YouTube video, there have been other examples of what he can do with the talent to take advantage of what he brings to the table.  

Worse is shooing off a catch as a blown coverage when its clearly a play made because of his speed.  Sometimes you get outplayed, that was a perfect example of how his speed can cause a mismatch. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The more I look at this draft, and the more you start to slot some of these receivers, the idea of trading up in the 2nd is making more and more sense to me.  If we assume OT at 11, then I would be in favor of flipping pick 79 to move up for the right receiver.  It makes a lot of sense.  

Agree with this....mentioned it in another thread.   We should absolutly be considering moving up in rounds 2 or 3 if there is a player we like sitting on the board.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

And apparently you just don't get what a contested ball is.

While actually believing that the kind of speed that causes separation is a meaningless talent for a WR.  It would somehow be better to have a WR who doesn't get separation as often and has to fight for ball more often. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Which also puts into play trading back in round 1, if there are actually tiers of OTs and guys like Wirfs, Thomas and Becton are in one tier, and wills/jackson are in the next.  I could see trading back in the 14-16 range, taking a tackle, then trading up in round 2.  

If they don’t trade up, i still don’t see them burning a 3rd rounder to move up in round 2.  So i see them taking someone like Pittman in round 2, rather than trading up and burning capital to get someone like Mims.  

I think it depends on who is left and how JD has them rated.   If there are comparable WR and you like both and they are still on the board....sure wait for them to drop to you.   But if you have one graded higher than another, or there is only one left that you really like, I absolutely would trade up to get who I want in round 2.

I dont follow the college or the draft as much as most on here but am following it much more closely here.   In messing around with some of the mock simulators, it seems in some scenarios, all the WR I would want are gone before I pick (or the next tier is projected lower than my pick in which case a trade  down would make sense).  

We are so talent starved that we need to get impact players on this team.   If that means we have to flip a late round pick to move up in rounds 2 or 3 to accomplish that I'm doing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Only two plays for 10 plus million .. I'll pass thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'll go back and track every catch hes ever made.

Because claiming the three examples to prove you saying hes never, ever done it proves youre right,  

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem with that line of thinking, its not only the catches that were put onto a YouTube video, there have been other examples of what he can do with the talent to take advantage of what he brings to the table.  

Worse is shooing off a catch as a blown coverage when its clearly a play made because of his speed.  Sometimes you get outplayed, that was a perfect example of how his speed can cause a mismatch. 

Fair point.  His speed is absolutely a weapon, but that play wasn't covered well deep by a Safety who wasn't positioned well IMO.

My point is simply that we know what he brings to the table and it should be enough to get him paid as a very good WR2 in the NFL.  For some people they seem to think he's a WR1...he's not.  He just looks that way because he's the WR1 on the Jets and we're not used to having anything better recently.  WR2s in the NFL are guys like Tyler Boyd in CIN, Calvin Ridley in ATL, Michael Gallup in DAL, Kenny Gollady in DET, Sammy Watkins in KC, Jarvis Landry in CLE, Tyrell Williams in OAK/LV, and even Stephon Diggs in MIN.  I think Robby starts to hang around the discussion with some of those guys.  He's in the mix somewhere.  In fact, as @bla bla bla mentioned in a video about a month ago, Tyrell Williams is a good comp given he received a contract this past year for about $11M per season as an expected WR2 (to Antonio Brown...lolz!).

I like Robby at $10M per year.  I love him at $9M per year.  I really don't like him in the $12-15M per year range some people have talked about, especially given that WRs seem like they will be flooding the League this April and the position could really be heading towards oversupply similar to where we've gotten with RBs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, pajet said:

I think it depends on who is left and how JD has them rated.   If there are comparable WR and you like both and they are still on the board....sure wait for them to drop to you.   But if you have one graded higher than another, or there is only one left that you really like, I absolutely would trade up to get who I want in round 2.

I dont follow the college or the draft as much as most on here but am following it much more closely here.   In messing around with some of the mock simulators, it seems in some scenarios, all the WR I would want are gone before I pick (or the next tier is projected lower than my pick in which case a trade  down would make sense).  

We are so talent starved that we need to get impact players on this team.   If that means we have to flip a late round pick to move up in rounds 2 or 3 to accomplish that I'm doing it.

I agree.  Also, looking back at the last few Eagles drafts, when Douglas was in their front office, they were very aggressive moving around the draft, both up and back constantly.  In 2019, they traded up for Andre Dillard.  2018, they traded out of the first round when the Ravens moved up for Lamar Jackson.  Then traded again in 2018 to move back up for Dallas Goedert.  They have made several player for pick trades also.  Gave up picks for Ronald Darby and Jay Ajayi.  Acquired a pick for Eric Rowe.  And they constanlty moved up and down the board in each of the last few drafts.  This i not even mentioning the Carson Wentz or Sam Bradford trades.

Howie Roseman may have been the ultimate decision maker, and we really have no way of knowing yet how Douglas will handle the draft when the buck stops with him.  But it does not seem like a stretch to think he may aggressively move up and back as the draft unfolds.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, RobR said:

I agree that some players will eventually slide into the second round.....just don't think MIms is one of them. I think he'll be among the first 5 WR's picked and wouldn't be surprised if he's the third one off the board. 

You see him ahead of Ruggs??

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair point.  His speed is absolutely a weapon, but that play wasn't covered well deep by a Safety who wasn't positioned well IMO.

My point is simply that we know what he brings to the table and it should be enough to get him paid as a very good WR2 in the NFL.  For some people they seem to think he's a WR1...he's not.  He just looks that way because he's the WR1 on the Jets and we're not used to having anything better recently.  WR2s in the NFL are guys like Tyler Boyd in CIN, Calvin Ridley in ATL, Michael Gallup in DAL, Kenny Gollady in DET, Sammy Watkins in KC, Jarvis Landry in CLE, Tyrell Williams in OAK/LV, and even Stephon Diggs in MIN.  I think Robby starts to hang around the discussion with some of those guys.  He's in the mix somewhere.  In fact, as @bla bla bla mentioned in a video about a month ago, Tyrell Williams is a good comp given he received a contract this past year for about $11M per season as an expected WR2 (to Antonio Brown...lolz!).

I like Robby at $10M per year.  I love him at $9M per year.  I really don't like him in the $12-15M per year range some people have talked about, especially given that WRs seem like they will be flooding the League this April and the position could really be heading towards oversupply.

Golladay and Diggs are WR1s (Diggs is a 1 even though Cousins prefers Thielen so his usage doesn't show it)

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can we just give Robby the contract that Macc gave to Quincy? And take it away from Quincy?

Why bother? Neither guy was/is worth paying. Anderson's production is easy to replicate for much cheaper. Find another guy in the mid-rounds that runs straight lines really fast and coach him up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

The Browns have probably the least amount of liquidity in the league.  A long-term guaranteed contract requires a large escrow.  

The Franchise Tag is just one year. 

This can be an issue for the Johnsons as well.  

32 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Golladay and Diggs are WR1s (Diggs is a 1 even though Cousins prefers Thielen so his usage doesn't show it)

Sure.  And Robby is probably a WR2 (some teams thought of him as a WR3 at the trade deadline) even if he's listed as WR1 on the Jets depth chart.  It's all about the needs of a team vs. how the market views him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I'm probably in the minority but yes I have Mims ahead of Ruggs.

You are....but it's a bold call and I like it.

Mims was off my radar until a month ago.  I initially thought he was a candidate for one of our picks in Round 3.  Many major media outlets and rankings sites till have him well outside the Top 5 or even 8. The idea that he could be the 3rd or even 4th WR off the board is still something I'm not onboard with quite yet, but I have to say that the Shenault injury coupled with Higgins seeming to slide a little bit probably puts Mims in the conversation for being taken a lot earlier than I thought.

Mims is in my category of Justin Jefferson, Higgins and Aiyuk.  Unfortunately, I think they could all be gone by #48.

My two real unknowns at this point are Jalen Reagor and Laviska Shenault.  I really have no idea where they may end up going now in such a loaded class.  Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs are still my top 3.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You are....but it's a bold call and I like it.

Mims was off my radar until a month ago.  I initially thought he was a candidate for one of our picks in Round 3.  Many major media outlets and rankings sites till have him well outside the Top 5 or even 8. The idea that he could be the 3rd or even 4th WR off the board is still something I'm not onboard with quite yet, but I have to say that the Shenault injury coupled with Higgins seeming to slide a little bit probably puts Mims in the conversation for being taken a lot earlier than I thought.

Mims is in my category of Justin Jefferson, Higgins and Aiyuk.  Unfortunately, I think they could all be gone by #48.

My two real unknowns at this point are Jalen Reagor and Laviska Shenault.  I really have no idea where they may end up going now in such a loaded class.  Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs are still my top 3.

If you look at the combine numbers Mims and Ruggs tested similarly. Ruggs vert was insane at 42 but Mims was right behind with a 38.5. They both had the same broad jump and Mims had the fastest 3 cone of any receiver while Ruggs did not participate. 

Then you can throw in that Mims is 4" taller and 20lbs. heavier and I think they should be in the same discussion. And last but not least, Mims had WAY more production in college than Ruggs which is why I'm taking Mims. At times I thought Ruggs was Bamas fourth best WR on the field.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is a good point. Either way I am not feeling sorry for the kid. He will end up with 20 million guaranteed on a bad contract. So his life will be good regardless.

Three years after football this gangster will be broke.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Why bother? Neither guy was/is worth paying. Anderson's production is easy to replicate for much cheaper. Find another guy in the mid-rounds that runs straight lines really fast and coach him up.

Only 18 WRs in the league have as many chunk gains ( 20 yd+) catches in the last 4 yrs.

So...   13 oither teams cant replicate him....

Not saying he's a world beater. But he makes every team in the NFL easily.

And has played with dregs for Qbs.

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

This mock has him going 62

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, DetroitRed said:

I'm not sure why you take these mock drafts seriously. They're meaningless.

21 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Only 18 WRs in the league have as many chunk gains ( 20 yd+) catches in the last 4 yrs.

So...   13 oither teams cant replicate him....

Not saying he's a world beater. But he makes every team in the NFL easily.

And has played with dregs for Qbs.

His efficiency numbers are horrible and always have been. That he's piling conventional stats through one specific route is more concerning than it is impressive for a large contract. Pair that with all the off-field problems over the years and the fact that his numbers are skewed because of a good run at the end of a contract year, this is honestly a real no-brainer. Anderson is not the type of player you pay a second contract to, which is exactly why the Jets will give it to him.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

We may get lucky, I could see teams passing on WR early to snag another position that is not as deep. I think we are the first team in the draft order that could opt for WR.

The only teams I'm like 100% sure will take WRs round 1 are the Raiders and Eagles. I could see others but those seem like lead pipe locks.

You never can say a team 100% will take a Wr in the first.    The Las Vegas Raiders probably take Ken Murray Lb at 12. ( Jmo that’s the Raiders first pick)    I expect them to trade back at 19 .   ( could be the best Wr left , or another defensive player when they do pick). 

Mike Mayock philosophy is not to take a Wr in the first round.   ( Gruden loves his offense- he has final say so can’t dismiss taking a wr ) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I say he is there at 48, easily. The mocks agree. If you think he will be gone, we will see who was correct

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You're also posting a mock from before the combine, and IMO all of these mocks are useless. These guys can't get it right as the draft is unfolding, what makes you think they're valid or accurate in February?

Since you are so sure he will be there by 48 would you care to place a wager? Loser pays $50 to the winners charity of choice.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

WR rumor from Dom Mozzerella:

Jets want speed at the WR position and like 99 percentile SPARQ athlete: Donovan Peoples-Jones. If you haven’t, check out his freakish vertical jump. Dude jumps so high it looks like he’s going to get hurt landing. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/donovan-peoples-jones?id=32195045-4f60-4060-aa06-be3909ebff80

Doesn’t hurt that he has huge hands and runs a 4.48.

The only problem with People's-Jones is that he isn't good at being a WR.