Report: New CBA Could Give Jets cap Boost by Cutting Trumaine Johnson

JetNation

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Cimini should at least give me credit since he wrote an article based on my comment on Friday about the June 1st designation and Tru. ******* slug.

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/150295-new-cba-details-begin-to-leak/page/6/#comments

Would it not just be better to peel the band aid off and take the whole $12 mil hit all at once?   Seems nice to  regain $8 mil this year but it's  coming right back next year.  No  ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Would it not just be better to peel the band aid off and take the whole $12 mil hit all at once?   Seems nice to  regain $8 mil this year but it's  coming right back next year.  No  ?

Liquid assets are KING!! Cap going up next year as well. Might as well spread bad debt over 2 years to allow for investment in better assets this year to overcome the bad debt investment 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree in theory, but if saving 8M this year can help fit one or two players under the cap who would otherwise be gone.  Maybe this rule helps them keep Robbie and sign 1 FA.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I would say the cap will be much higher in 2021 so let the 8 mil hit then. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree in theory, but if saving 8M this year can help fit one or two players under the cap who would otherwise be gone.  Maybe this rule helps them keep Robbie and sign 1 FA.

Sure. I think that's where the real benefit is. I'm just kinda thinking out loud here. 

$8 mil this year may be more imapacful, especially when considering the FA's we want to retain, than the $12 mil next season. 

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

They have to make a decision by March 20, when his $11 million salary for 2020 becomes fully guaranteed.

It’s still $12 million down the drain, but gives Joe Douglas an additional $8 million to work with this off-season.

$12 million down the tubes is a lot better than having Trumaine Johnson on the field, in the Jets clubhouse and ever wearing anything green again.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Death, taxes and the ever-increasing salary cap. One reason why the handwringing over paying guys is way overblown. Fact is Jets have to pay a beggar tax on FAs until a culture of winning/competence is established.

• Upvote 2

Tru has become Fredo, I really thought he was a good FA signing at the time and also thought he would thrive when reunited with Greg Williams - I was wrong, probably why the RAMs franchised him for a few years - dude apparently needs that motivation every year - once he got the big paycheck, he cashed out

I think this is the main concern with fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL - the sport is harder on the body and it seem more guys hang it up once they get paid (probably thanks to Revis uncle)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Death, taxes and the ever-increasing salary cap. One reason why the handwringing over paying guys is way overblown. Fact is Jets have to pay a beggar tax on FAs until a culture of winning/competence is established.

Great point. Sad, but a great point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Eh 8Mil should get us very close to McGovern’s numbers. I’d take any kind of cap savings we can get tbh 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

The cap is supposed to rise $20-$30 million next year so I think it makes more sense to free up money this year. Especially when they're allegedly targeting big ticket free agents this off-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Nothing to lose by spreading it across two years if given the opportunity.  Either way, we will have a $12 mil cap hit by 2021.  Either $4M this year and $8M next year or all $12M this year.  Since cap space carries over, there is no impact on 2021 cap -- Tru costs us $12M by 2021 eitehr way.  If we spread the hit across the two years, it gives us some extra flexibility this year. 

If cap space was finite each year, and did not carry over, I would agree to just bite the bullet and take it all this year.  Given the carry over, we have nothing to lose by limiting the hit this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well except that the guy is a dog that you want no where near the team at all.

Sometimes you have to put a bad influence player in the rear view mirror as quick as possible even if is not helpful cap wise.

I don't think anyone is suggesting keeping the guy around.  Either cut him and take all the hit this year, or if the new CBA passes, cut him and spread the cap hit across two years with post June 1 designation. 

Either way, the cancer is removed, its just how quickly we want to pay the surgeon.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Revise hurt more because he quit on the team who gave him everything except a championship 

A least he was good at one time.  Johnson was awful from day one.

Also this convo about Revis and Johnson renews my utter disdain for Bowles as a coach and what he let players get away with.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Revis hurt more because he quit on the team who gave him everything except a championship 

I hope Revis' 18 Months of greatness is too short for that pos mercenary d bag to get anywhere near the HOF. Zero character that earned nothing but contempt.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

it doesn't seem to make much difference.  why the change?  does the nflpa want to protect teams from having a severe cap burden if they sign slugs like trumaine or wilky?  i think that's doubtful. the nflpa wants guys like trumaine because they drive up the prices of all the other players.