R.I.P Johnny Antonelli

section314

Passed away Friday at 89. This lefty was a 5 time NL All Star for the NY/SF Giants from 1954-59. He was 21-7 with a 2.30 ERA for the NL champs in 1954, including winning game #2 of the WS 3-1, with a complete game. He also got the last 5 outs of game #4 to complete the sweep over the Indians. In an interview, he said he loved pitching in the Polo Grounds because" I don't let guys pull the ball, I make them hit into the huge CF and I let Willie go get them." A bit of trivia here ...... he was sold to the Mets in 1961 but never pitched for them. He retired at 31. @The Crimson King

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Passed away Friday at 89. This lefty was a 5 time NL All Star for the NY/SF Giants from 1954-59. He was 21-7 with a 2.30 ERA for the NL champs in 1954, including winning game #2 of the WS 3-1, with a complete game. He also got the last 5 outs of game #4 to complete the sweep over the Indians. In an interview, he said he loved pitching in the Polo Grounds because" I don't let guys pull the ball, I make them hit into the huge CF and I let Willie go get them." A bit of trivia here ...... he was sold to the Mets in 1961 but never pitched for them. He retired at 31. @The Crimson King

and if you want to be even trivier ...

John Antonelli managed for 8 years in the Mets farm system in the 70' including AAA.

Greats such as Dick Rusteck, Les Rohr, Kenny Singleton, Bill Denehy (who is also the answer to a good Mets trivia question), George Theodore, Bob Apodaca, Craig Swan, Bruce Boisclair, Mike Scott and Lee Mazzilli all played for him

and yes, it was a different guy named John Antonelli 

The former big league star went into the retail tire biz upstate instead

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

and if you want to be even trivier ...

John Antonelli managed for 8 years in the Mets farm system in the 70' including AAA.

Greats such as Dick Rusteck, Les Rohr, Kenny Singleton, Bill Denehy (who is also the answer to a good Mets trivia question), George Theodore, Bob Apodaca, Craig Swan, Bruce Boisclair, Mike Scott and Lee Mazzilli all played for him

and yes, it was a different guy named John Antonelli 

The former big league star went into the retail tire biz upstate instead

The Stork.? My dad (RIP) and I were at the game in 1973 when he and Don Hahn collided in left/center field on a ball hit by Ralph Garr. Cleared the basses, an inside the park HR. They were down for what seemed like forever. Was one of the scariest things I've ever witnessed in sports.

• Upvote 2