Jack Conklin may be headed to the Jets

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Somewhat hesitant on Conklin. Checkered injury history, not a great pass blocker and I assume stands to get a huge deal on the open market.

Conklin has started all 16 games in three of his four seasons in Tennessee.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I sure hope so.  If I were the jets gm, my 2 top targets would be him and Vaitai.  Hope they can sign both.  Both are versatile guys.  Conklin can play lt or rt.  While he hasn’t played lt in the nfl, he played there almost exclusively in college.  I think he would be a huge upgrade at either.  Vaitai has played lt, rt and guard.  This would allow maximum flexibility headed into the draft. They could go lt, rt, maybe a guy like Wills who could play inside too, or even a wr.  Could you imagine if they also grabbed a center in round 2?  Resign Lewis and I think that is pretty good.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 4

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Conklin has started all 16 games in three of his four seasons in Tennessee.

https://titansized.com/2019/05/01/why-the-titans-declined-jack-conklins-option/

"Conklin tore his ACL in the first half of a divisional loss to the New England Patriots. 

The injury slowed his return in 2018, and he didn’t see game action until game 4. He was not quite the player Titans fans had seen over the previous two years. It appeared he had lost a step – whether it was a result of rushing back from injury too soon or he difficulties adjusting to the new (non-exotic smashmouth) offense remains to be seen. His PFF grade of 66.8 wasn’t terrible, but there has been a steady decline in his scores over the past 3 seasons (80.6 in 2016 and 71.9 in 2017).

To make matters worse, he ended his 2018 season with another knee injury. Luckily it was not serious enough to require surgery, but having your season end with a knee injury two consecutive years is not ideal."

• Upvote 4

Still 2+ weeks before anyone can sign.  Could also be his agent putting this out there to generate offers -- our need at OT is well known.  An agent would never dream of using the Jets to leverage more money from another team, would he?

Not buying into this one just yet.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

"Conklin tore his ACL in the first half of a divisional loss to the New England Patriots. 

The injury slowed his return in 2018, and he didn’t see game action until game 4. He was not quite the player Titans fans had seen over the previous two years. It appeared he had lost a step – whether it was a result of rushing back from injury too soon or he difficulties adjusting to the new (non-exotic smashmouth) offense remains to be seen. His PFF grade of 66.8 wasn’t terrible, but there has been a steady decline in his scores over the past 3 seasons (80.6 in 2016 and 71.9 in 2017).

To make matters worse, he ended his 2018 season with another knee injury. Luckily it was not serious enough to require surgery, but having your season end with a knee injury two consecutive years is not ideal."

No injury is ideal, but players get hurt.  He probably came back too soon.  If anything, it usually takes 2 years to get back to normal, so thats good.  Other than those injuries, he has never really been known for being injured.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Somewhat hesitant on Conklin. Checkered injury history, not a great pass blocker and I assume stands to get a huge deal on the open market.

One of the best run blockers in the league and also a pretty decent pass blocker tbh. Agree he isn’t a great one but a top tier 25 years old OT would be great. Imagine we get Conklin AND Thuney. (or Glasgow)

If the Jets sign Conklin - likely near or at the top of the tackle market - does he stay at RT or move to LT?

He's probably better suited staying at RT, but he has played LT in the past. And that's the spot where teams usually spend their big OL contracts.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

If the Jets sign Conklin - likely near or at the top of the tackle market - does he stay at RT or move to LT?

He's probably better suited staying at RT, but he has played LT in the past. And that's the spot where teams usually spend their big OL contracts.

He would definitely stay at RT, IMO

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

One of the best run blockers in the league and also a pretty decent pass blocker tbh. Agree he isn’t a great one but a top tier 25 years old OT would be great. Imagine we get Conklin AND Thuney. (or Glasgow)

I bet we pivot to Mcgovern. C is a much cheaper position (For whatever reason idk) but you resign Lewis, draft an OT at 11 and then they'll probably keep winters at RG. My guess is we're keeping Winters because we are paying Conklin a metric F*** ton of $$ as long as he actually signs here. Snag an IOL with one of out 3rds and groom him to take over next year

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

No injury is ideal, but players get hurt.  He probably came back too soon.  If anything, it usually takes 2 years to get back to normal, so thats good.  Other than those injuries, he has never really been known for being injured.

I'm not trying to sh*t on this player or say he'd be a poor signing. I'm saying there is a considerable risk here for this player. He's a better run-blocker than he is a pass-blocker, which is, at least to some degree, the opposite of what I'm looking for this team, and he does have a torn ACL, a knee injury and has been in the concussion protocol already.

Is any of that damning? No. But he's likely going to command huge money - and we're in a good offensive tackle draft class this year. Maybe this money is better spent elsewhere.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, I'd keep him there too and look to add a LT high in the draft.

I guess you can afford to pay big money for your RT for a few years when your LT is on his rookie deal.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Obviously that's a market improvement from what we had. And I'm all about Thuney or Glasgow. But Conklin is a risk. I know he's good; but his best trait (run-blocking), while definitely important, is not exactly where I'm dying to improve and not the reason I'd pay big $. 

I'm not hating on Conklin as a player nor am I predicting his signing to be a disaster. I'm saying of all the guys thrown around for offensive line help, Jack Conklin is likely the most expensive and the most risky. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If the Jets can pull this off, retain Anderson for the rumored 10 million market value and then add another Vet OL, FA would be a home run in my opinion.  Obviously they would likely have other less notable move, but that would be a hell of start 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

His PFF grade last year 2019 was 78, and he also played all 16 games last year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This was my thought. Draft a LT at #11 and keep Conklin at RT. Instantly two huge improvements at OT.

13 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I bet we pivot to Mcgovern. C is a much cheaper position (For whatever reason idk) but you resign Lewis, draft an OT at 11 and then they'll probably keep winters at RG. My guess is we're keeping Winters because we are paying Conklin a metric F*** ton of $$ as long as he actually signs here. Snag an IOL with one of out 3rds and groom him to take over next year

Bingo. I don’t know if we can fix the entire OL in one season but we can fix the majority of it in a big way.

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Obviously that's a market improvement from what we had. And I'm all about Thuney or Glasgow. But Conklin is a risk. I know he's good; but his best trait (run-blocking), while definitely important, is not exactly where I'm dying to improve and not the reason I'd pay big $. 

I'm not hating on Conklin as a player nor am I predicting his signing to be a disaster. I'm saying of all the guys thrown around for offensive line help, Jack Conklin is likely the most expensive and the most risky. 

I think he’s a guy the Jets need to take risks on. They’re desperate. Time to get Darnold the best players in front of him and quick. Conklin’s downside may still be stronger than the second tier options.

• Upvote 2

Him or Thuney are absolutely must signs for this to be a truly successfull offseason.  I would put Conklin higher on the need list because hes a tackle vs guard.

Signing Conklin and drafting a LT in the draft would be huge. This is the guy we have to sign right off the bat.

Anyone that doesn’t want him is just downright silly.  

Guys that are playing at a pro bowl level don’t shake free.  No matter how you toss and turn it he’s a MASSIVE upgrade over what we have.  Signing him in March also gives us a lot more flexibility in the draft - especially if we sign another even second tier Tackle or guard.

I really don’t care what we have to pay him - Mac’s incompetence means he’s the type of guy you have no choice but to overpay...

• Upvote 3

I hope the Jets can sign Conklin for RT, a decent vet for G, then draft LT in round 1 and C in either round 2 or 3. They can afford to overpay for Conklin, and maybe even for a G, with two young starters on rookie deals for four years. 

If Conklin is not available, the Jets might roll the dice on Bulaga as a hold the fort guy at RT, but his age (31) and injury history are really scary. Getting a new RT might also allow Edoga to slide to RG or become a backup swing tackle.

McGovern is interesting as a C/G. I've read he's really a better G than C.