Could the possibility of drafting a TE on Day 2 be something we're missing?

Lots of WR talk.  Tons of OLine talk.  We're discussing Edge rushers and the need to find replacement CBs.  Targeting a RB in the middle rounds like McFarland has been a recent discussion to plan for Le'Veon Bell's eventual departure.

But what about TE?  Could we be discounting the possibility the Jets look for a TE earlier rather than later in the Draft?

Trying to read the tea leaves here but Gase and the Jets seem to constantly be working on the TE spot.  They brought in Daniel Brown following an injury to Griffin.  Griffin has been signed to a longterm deal in-season (one of the few/only deals signed by Douglas during the season).  Herndon seems to be liked by the organization but a suspension followed by an injury doesn't make him seem very reliable even if he's the guy with the highest upside.

And, doesn't Gase have an affinity for TEs?  He drafted 3 in 3 seasons in Miami, including 2 in his final Draft.  During the 2018 NFL Draft when the Jets took Darnold, Adam Gase used Draft picks in Rounds 2 AND 4 on TE, taking Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe.

623626618_ScreenShot2020-03-01at11_01_16AM.png.38e78b9d0b70320879c9c02b5efb7c27.png

If I had to make a slightly bold call on the Draft his year it could be that the Jets use one of their picks in the first 3 Rounds on TE.

Interested in what you guys think because the Jets seem to have a lot of concerns at the position with talent/experience level, depth and injuries.

The one challenge with this thinking however is that TE is NOT very deep this year.  There likely will be no TEs taken in Round 1 and possibly only two in Round 2.  Rounds 3-4 seem to be the value area.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it.  With Herndon coming back, Griffin extended last year, Daniel Brown signing an extension.  Who knows waht they thinkk of Wesco.  I could definitely see a guy on Day 3, but not on day 2. 

Too many other needs, and given the strength of the draft at other positions of need, I don't see a day 2 TE being a high likelihood.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't see it.  With Herndon coming back, Griffin extended last year, Daniel Brown signing an extension.  Who knows waht they thinkk of Wesco.  I could definitely see a guy on Day 3, but not on day 2. 

Too many other needs, and given the strength of the draft at other positions of need, I don't see a day 2 TE being a high likelihood.

Yeah, maybe a TE in Rounds 4-7 is more likely given how the talent lines up.  I just think TE might be more appreciated and focused on by Gase & Co. than we realize.

Not that this is the right order or the best source but here is CBS's current TE prospect ranking.  Their top TE, Cole Kmet, is their 46th ranked player overall.

538735548_ScreenShot2020-03-01at11_34_13AM.png.57ee8e5c71a31abab36920e99cf55ef9.png

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

If by TE you mean Chase Claypool then yes that could easily be the pick in round 2

That's a good point.  His size and decent blocking on film seem to make him a conversion candidate to TE, but can he really make that switch you think?

He'd need to put on at least 5-10 lbs though right?  I can't seem him lining up at TE under 240lbs.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's a good point.  His size and decent blocking on film seem to make him a conversion candidate to TE, but can he really make that switch you think?

He'd need to put on at least 5-10 lbs though right?  I can't seem him lining up at TE under 240lbs.

To me Claypool looks like a clone of Evan Engram so he’d probably operate more as a pass catcher especially with Herndon and Griffin already on the roster. But Claypool himself apparently is embracing the switch to TE which bodes well for his future at the position

18 minutes ago, cant wait said:

To me Claypool looks like a clone of Evan Engram so he’d probably operate more as a pass catcher especially with Herndon and Griffin already on the roster. But Claypool himself apparently is embracing the switch to TE which bodes well for his future at the position

Yeah, as a WR he might be a 5th rounder.  As a TE...maybe 3rd or 4th?

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, as a WR he might be a 5th rounder.  As a TE...maybe 3rd or 4th?

I would think he’d be a good value in the 3rd round but after his combine I could see him being a second round pick... it’s hard to really tell with so many talented receivers in this class

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Can you post your ‘guess who’ numbers again, and add Darren Waller instead of C.J.?

33 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Can you post your ‘guess who’ numbers again, and add Darren Waller instead of C.J.?

Wow yeah good call. These guys seem to fit the same big slot/TE archetype:

Engram
6’3 234lb
4.43 40yd
36” VJ
125” broad

Waller
6’6 238lb
4.46 40yd
37” VJ
125” broad

Claypool
6’4 238lb
4.42 40yd
40.5” VJ
126” broad

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It sounds like Claypool is open to the position change but how much work would he need to do?  I think two questions come to mind immediately:

1. Is he a "willing" blocker?  Does like to get dirty, get in there and get physical with a LB to attempt to make blocks?

2. Is he a capable blocker?  Can he actually do it....or does he whiff, does he get shed easily, is his blocking strategy to simply "get in the way"?

If we have a Yes and a Yes, or a Yes and a "he's okay but will improve with coaching" then I might be onboard with a late Day 2 pick for him.

The reason (apart from the other dire needs this team has) that most fans have not talked about the TE position is b/c there is simply no room on the roster. 

Like you said, the Jets just signed Brown, they extended Griffin, Herndon isn't going anywhere, they recently drafted Wesco (which, sure you could argue they could cut). But 4 TEs, 2 of which they just resigned suggests to me they will not be investing a 3rd round pick on another TE. 

C'mon people, what is this - amateur hour? ....Any TE thread in the draft forum should have me tagged in the OP

You're god damn right we could wind up drafting a TE... we still can't field a proper/reliable 12 personnel on the field! Herndon, for all the love we give him, hasn't had a great start to the NFL career. Griffin was rarely healthy, and Brown is forgettable... fck Wesco.

• I love B. Hopkins but he'll be over drafted. Not flawless. 
  • Would be thrilled with Adam Trautman or Harrison Bryant late day 2 or day 3. 

• Upvote 1

Trautman has been steadily moving up the mock draft simulator. I used to be able to get him with my 5th round pick. Now he's my first 3rd rounder or someone else has stolen him. I've never seen him play but several articles have raved about him. Converted QB who spent last year learning the position.

Agree, Herndon is al show and no dough so far. Make or break year for him. (Just like Sam).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

C'mon people, what is this - amateur hour? ....Any TE thread in the draft forum should have me tagged in the OP

You're god damn right we could wind up drafting a TE... we still can't field a proper/reliable 12 personnel on the field! Herndon, for all the love we give him, hasn't had a great start to the NFL career. Griffin was rarely healthy, and Brown is forgettable... fck Wesco.

• I love B. Hopkins but he'll be over drafted. Not flawless. 
  • Would be thrilled with Adam Trautman or Harrison Bryant late day 2 or day 3. 

Hey man, I agree with you. It's not like Herndon is a superstar TE and he's missed a lot of games. I think its unfair to say that Griffin is 'rarely' healthy. He played 13 games last year. 14 the year before. But he's not exactly a huge threat. I agree RE: Brown. Wesco has never really been given a shot, so not sure why u got beef with him. He's a blocking TE and has done his job when asked. 

HOWEVER, it seems Jet brass disagrees with both of us. Because they extended Griffin and re-signed Brown. And there's been no word whatsoever that Herndon is not part of the Jets future. So I just don't see the Jets targeting a TE. Like, at all. Maybe in the 6th if they see unexpected value.    

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If you want a late round TE this guy has Evan Engram written all over him

B9BE9430-3051-4DC9-A815-4F5829138453.jpeg

He’s gonna run around a 4.5 40 at the combine.  Not a blocker at all but will be a productive receiver in the nfl

I'll bet he runs a 4.74 at the combine.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Hey man, I agree with you. It's not like Herndon is a superstar TE and he's missed a lot of games. I think its unfair to say that Griffin is 'rarely' healthy. He played 13 games last year. 14 the year before. But he's not exactly a huge threat. I agree RE: Brown. Wesco has never really been given a shot, so not sure why u got beef with him. He's a blocking TE and has done his job when asked. 

HOWEVER, it seems Jet brass disagrees with both of us. Because they extended Griffin and re-signed Brown. And there's been no word whatsoever that Herndon is not part of the Jets future. So I just don't see the Jets targeting a TE. Like, at all. Maybe in the 6th if they see unexpected value.    

can't argue with that, but i wish i could... I fantasize about a day when the jets wake up in the 21st century and focus on scheming mismatches.

I would emphasizing the 12 personnel package the way PHI often did with Ertz & Goedert.... if you get your F and Y Tight Ends involved in the game, with a speedy/shifty flanker and your prototype X -- you can do anything... Your F/Joker Tight End can fill in Hback duties as a FB to block for your RB, when needed too. 

I would have went after Goedert that year, in addition to taking Hockenson last year. Imagine that combo, paired with Dalvin Cook, along with Tyler Boyd.... and this year we'd be looking that Split-end

Here's the best part -- Had we done that ^^, we'd only be without Christian Hackenberg, Quinnen Williams, Marcus Maye... and probably Shepard+Herndon as i would have had to package those picks.

Imagine us then? That's what Sammy Needs.

• Upvote 2

On 3/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, jetstream23 said:

Lots of WR talk.  Tons of OLine talk.  We're discussing Edge rushers and the need to find replacement CBs.  Targeting a RB in the middle rounds like McFarland has been a recent discussion to plan for Le'Veon Bell's eventual departure.

But what about TE?  Could we be discounting the possibility the Jets look for a TE earlier rather than later in the Draft?

Trying to read the tea leaves here but Gase and the Jets seem to constantly be working on the TE spot.  They brought in Daniel Brown following an injury to Griffin.  Griffin has been signed to a longterm deal in-season (one of the few/only deals signed by Douglas during the season).  Herndon seems to be liked by the organization but a suspension followed by an injury doesn't make him seem very reliable even if he's the guy with the highest upside.

And, doesn't Gase have an affinity for TEs?  He drafted 3 in 3 seasons in Miami, including 2 in his final Draft.  During the 2018 NFL Draft when the Jets took Darnold, Adam Gase used Draft picks in Rounds 2 AND 4 on TE, taking Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe.

623626618_ScreenShot2020-03-01at11_01_16AM.png.38e78b9d0b70320879c9c02b5efb7c27.png

If I had to make a slightly bold call on the Draft his year it could be that the Jets use one of their picks in the first 3 Rounds on TE.

Interested in what you guys think because the Jets seem to have a lot of concerns at the position with talent/experience level, depth and injuries.

The one challenge with this thinking however is that TE is NOT very deep this year.  There likely will be no TEs taken in Round 1 and possibly only two in Round 2.  Rounds 3-4 seem to be the value area.

We have much greater needs across the roster than TE to fill. OL, CB, WR, RB,  and possibly S ?.  Don’t see any room to draft a TE. And we have that sleeper Westco. Can somebody wake him up. 

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

We have much greater needs across the roster than TE to fill. OL, CB, WR, RB,  and possibly S ?.  Don’t see any room to draft a TE. And we have that sleeper Westco. Can somebody wake him up. 

You and I can agree that there are much bigger needs....but does Adam Gase rank TE higher on his list than we do?

I thought Edge rusher was a bigger need than DT last year....we got Quinnen instead of Josh Allen.

All I'm suggesting in this thread is that Adam Gase may prioritize TE higher than we think, perhaps even higher than RB depending on what happens in FA.  I just don't know, but he used TWO picks in the the first 4 rounds in Miami on TEs, he supported Douglas signing/extending guys like Griffin and Daniel Brown.  Douglas and Gase just seem to be working the TE spot quite a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if we see one taken (or as @cant wait said, maybe they try to address it with Claypool).

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You and I can agree that there are much bigger needs....but does Adam Gase rank TE higher on his list than we do?

I thought Edge rusher was a bigger need than DT last year....we got Quinnen instead of Josh Allen.

All I'm suggesting in this thread is that Adam Gase may prioritize TE higher than we think, perhaps even higher than RB depending on what happens in FA.  I just don't know, but he used TWO picks in the the first 4 rounds in Miami on TEs, he supported Douglas signing/extending guys like Griffin and Daniel Brown.  Douglas and Gase just seem to be working the TE spot quite a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if we see one taken (or as @cant wait said, maybe they try to address it with Claypool).

Nah don’t see it. And Dougie has final call and he’s an ole OL guy. QW was Macc’s moronic pick. And the OL is a freakin mess. There’s just not enuf picks this year to bother with TE. And we have a good group. Besides, there are other WR’s out there who are higher rated than Claypool that need to be targeted- at least 2 in first 3 rounds. We have 8 picks: 3 OL, 2 WR, 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 Edge. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, Wonderboy said:

Nah don’t see it. And Dougie has final call and he’s an ole OL guy. QW was Macc’s moronic pick. And the OL is a freakin mess. There’s just not enuf picks this year to bother with TE. And we have a good group. Besides, there are other WR’s out there who are higher rated than Claypool that need to be targeted- at least 2 in first 3 rounds. We have 8 picks: 3 OL, 2 WR, 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 Edge. 

I'm going to modify your allocation to positions a bit.

2 OL, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 CB, 1 Edge.  I think Joe D will find a RB in free agency after the Draft.  I took 1 OL and 1 RB off your list and put an extra CB and 1 TE.

I don't know if Gase trusts Herndon and Griffin is an average hold-the-fort kinda guy.  Daniel Brown is meh and Wesco just doesn't seem to get opportunities.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets use either one of the 3rds or the 4th round pick on TE.

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm going to modify your allocation to positions a bit.

2 OL, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 CB, 1 Edge.  I think Joe D will find a RB in free agency after the Draft.  I took 1 OL and 1 RB off your list and put an extra CB and 1 TE.

I don't know if Gase trusts Herndon and Griffin is an average hold-the-fort kinda guy.  Daniel Brown is meh and Wesco just doesn't seem to get opportunities.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets use either one of the 3rds or the 4th round pick on TE.

How dare you!

• Haha 1