Trade Up ?????

ljr

ok ... I am 1000% onboard with pick best OL at 11 or trade down & then pick best OL available

but

what I am 1,000,000% on board with is pick probable stud LT(or Wills) over probable very good/decent LT (and/or probable stud OG,C)

_______

What number LT/OT do you believe the drop from stud to very good is at? (what number does Joe Douglass believe that to happen at?)

Jedrick Wills, Alabama (JR, 6'5", 320 pounds)
Andrew Thomas, Georgia (JR, 6'5, 320 pounds)
Mekhi Becton, Louisville (JR, 6'7", 369 pounds)
Tristan Wirfs, Iowa (JR, 6'5", 322 pounds)
Josh Jones, Houston (SR, 6'5", 311 pounds)
Austin Jackson, USC (JR, 6'6", 310 pounds)

_______

Do you see all 6 above the Mendoza line?  Do you see 5?

What if you/Joe only see 4?

_______

Cleveland is going OT at pick 10

_______

3 OT's(including Wills) are gone with Jacksonville on the clock at pick 9

(you and or Douglass see the significant drop happen between 4th OT to 5th OT)

do you consider a trade up? Does Joe?  If Joe trades up can you give him the benefit of the doubt with his evaluation?

draft value chart is 4th rounder

can you offer that?  can you offer less that that but something (5th,6th,7th)?

________

I'm not smart enough to know if there is a significant enough drop to warrant such a trade.  At this point I give Joe Douglass the benefit of the doubt to defer to his judgement on this call.  (the offer to trade back if we see the significant drop is either nothing or so minimal that Douglass can't do it)

________

Food for thought?

• Thumb Down 2

Yes, trade up and select your guy. FA should also give us more clarity on who to narrow down on. Scheme fit also plays a huge part. The difference bewteen the 9th and 11th overall on the draft chart is 100 points. That's a high 4th rounder. Would the Jags accept our 3rd and swap it with their 4th to move up? Not interested in spending a premium at all.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

I posted this in another thread as well, but looking back at Douglas tenure with the Eagles, they were very active in moving around the board during the draft.  In 2019, they moved up for Andre Dillard.  In 2018, they traded back out of the first round with the Ravens who moved up for Lamar Jackson.  After acquiring the Ravens 2, the Eagles moved up in the 2nd for Dallas Goedtert.  They have moved playrs for picks (Eric Rowe) and moved picks for players (Jay Ajayi and Ronald Darby).  And they have moved all over the board.  Moving up, moving back during the draft.

Howie Roseman was the ultimate decision maker in Philly, not Douglas, but I don't think it is a stretch to think Douglas could be equally active.  If he sees a guy he likes, I can see him going to get him.  I think it is more likely on day 2 than day 1, given the cost of moving up.  But if we whiff on OT in FA, then I would not be shocked if JD makes sure we get a likely starter out of the draft, even if that means a trade up.

• Upvote 4

Jets:

Have another out of the playoffs by mid season year.

Have to trade up to get a non QB because we won a meaningless game or two at year end.

Yeah, that's the jets.

No to a trade up UNLESS, we trade down 1st then trade back up.

We have too many holes and can't afford to lose any, and any trade up in the 1st is going to cost you.

No trade down first & Joe gives up a 6th can you deal?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are not getting anything for a 6th round pick.  You trade up in the 4th or 5th rounds and give up a 6th.

not sure I got what this means?

___

Are you saying that giving up a 6th would be too good to be true ... so best option for us would likely be giving up at least a 5th .... and you are not ok if Joe D does that?

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If Thomas or Becton are there at 9 and you can move up I'd say send it and get it done. 

There is too much depth at OL and WR in this draft for this approach to make any sense. 

Write down the names Becton, Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Lamb, and Jeudy. 

One of those guys is virtually guaranteed to be there at 11. 

• Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There is too much depth at OL and WR in this draft for this approach to make any sense. 

Write down the names Becton, Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Lamb, and Jeudy. 

One of those guys is virtually guaranteed to be there at 11. 

Normally I’d agree but with how many teams need an OT ahead of us, and with how terrible our Oline is I’d make the move to secure a quality LT. With how deep this draft is at WR we could easily select 2 WRs with our 2nd and remaining 3rd. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Normally I’d agree but with how many teams need an OT ahead of us, and with how terrible our Oline is I’d make the move to secure a quality LT. With how deep this draft is at WR we could easily select 2 WRs with our 2nd and remaining 3rd. 

They won’t have a second if they trade up. 

I'd back JD if he gave a 4th to jump over the Browns if the top three OL were off the board and JD decided the drop off from #4 to #5 lineman was worth losing the pick. It's almost a certainty that the Browns and Jets will go OL. Jacksonville will still get their choice moving from #9 to #11.

I'd also back JD if he decided to jump up to #7 Carolina if the top two  OL he had on the Jets board was still available and if he could make that move with the second 3rd pick.

Generally I dislike trading away picks especially when the Jets have so many needs but if a true franchise LT is available then it's worth it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Stay put.

There are 11...actually 20+ players who could immediately help the Jets.  This roster is so needy at WR, OLine, pass rusher, CB, etc. that the last thing I want to do is give up any kind of pick to move up.

Agree. Besides so many holes to fill who can say before a single snap that the #3 OT in the draft is going to be a measurably better pro than the #4...

47 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

no ******* way

Exactly. 

It's this simple, there are a segment of Jets fans that freak out no matter where we pick, every year. 

- Pick too high, we HAVE to trade back. (Giving up the chance to get a star player)

- Pick too low, we HAVE to trade up. (Giving up valuable assets to maybe get a star player)

Every year, ALWAYS worried the guy we need is JUST out of our reach. Let me ask you, What happens more often than not?... The best players are players we actually passed on. 

We need to stay put, and make the correct selection. Period. 

• Upvote 1

Ask me this question again after FA. 

As of now, the tackles on our roster are Chuma Edoga, Conor McDermott and Benjamin Braden.  10 starts between them in their careers.  8 of them by Edoga.  If we signficantly upgrade the position in FA, then no way do I want to pay the price to move up from 11.  But if we whiff in FA, we may have little option but to move up.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I'd back JD if he gave a 4th to jump over the Browns if the top three OL were off the board and JD decided the drop off from #4 to #5 lineman was worth losing the pick. It's almost a certainty that the Browns and Jets will go OL. Jacksonville will still get their choice moving from #9 to #11.

I'd also back JD if he decided to jump up to #7 Carolina if the OL he had on the Jets board was still available and if he could make that move with the second 3rd pick.

Generally I dislike trading away picks especially when the Jets have so many needs but if a true franchise LT is available then it's worth it.

I will give everyone on this board $1000 dollars if 3 OL are gone by the 11th pick. 

3 QBs, 1EDGE, 1CB are locks in the top 10, regardless of which teams currently select in those spots barring trades. 

So 5 other selections before us, and people think 3 of those 5 will happen to be OL? 

At most, 2 may be gone, and in the event 3? Then hell yes, let the best WR fall to us then. 

The best GMs shore up all their positional needs prior to the draft, allowing flexibility for their pick. If we sign 2 OL in FA (which is almost a guarantee), then we would be completely fine selecting a WR in rd 1. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I hear you, but a couple of things:

1) Yes, OL is our biggest need, but WR is our second biggest need and becomes even weaker if we let Anderson walk. WR is not that much less of a priority than OL if we don't resign Robbie. 

2) We are just not in a position to give up a 3rd round pick (+) to move up in the first round. We need a minimum of three new starters on the OL, 1-2 WRs, at least one corner, and an edge rusher. We need more picks, not fewer picks. 

3) I think Jeudy will very likely be worth taking at 11. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least a good NFL WR. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I will give everyone on this board $1000 dollars if 3 OL are gone by the 11th pick. 

3 QBs, 1EDGE, 1CB are locks in the top 10, regardless of which teams currently select in those spots barring trades. 

So 5 other selections before us, and people think 3 of those 5 will happen to be OL? 

At most, 2 may be gone, and in the event 3? Then hell yes, let the best WR fall to us then. 

The best GMs shore up all their positional needs prior to the draft, allowing flexibility for their pick. If we sign 2 OL in FA (which is almost a guarantee), then we would be completely fine selecting a WR in rd 1. 

In this draft, I would trade up for Wirfs for LT and sign as many FAs as we need to fill holes.

If Wirfs is there when Carolina is picking, they should have their head examined if they take Brown.  Switch with the Jets and take Brown at 11.  

The question is whether you try to trade with the Giants.  I don't think the Jets and Giants can do that.  But I do think that Gettleman will outsmart himself again and take someone like Becton or Simmons (remember he came from Carolina and he had Kuechly).   Who played T for Carolina?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ljr said:

ok ... I am 1000% onboard with pick best OL at 11 or trade down & then pick best OL available

but

what I am 1,000,000% on board with is pick probable stud LT(or Wills) over probable very good/decent LT (and/or probable stud OG,C)

_______

What number LT/OT do you believe the drop from stud to very good is at? (what number does Joe Douglass believe that to happen at?)

Jedrick Wills, Alabama (JR, 6'5", 320 pounds)
Andrew Thomas, Georgia (JR, 6'5, 320 pounds)
Mekhi Becton, Louisville (JR, 6'7", 369 pounds)
Tristan Wirfs, Iowa (JR, 6'5", 322 pounds)
Josh Jones, Houston (SR, 6'5", 311 pounds)
Austin Jackson, USC (JR, 6'6", 310 pounds)

_______

Do you see all 6 above the Mendoza line?  Do you see 5?

What if you/Joe only see 4?

_______

Cleveland is going OT at pick 10

_______

3 OT's(including Wills) are gone with Jacksonville on the clock at pick 9

(you and or Douglass see the significant drop happen between 4th OT to 5th OT)

do you consider a trade up? Does Joe?  If Joe trades up can you give him the benefit of the doubt with his evaluation?

draft value chart is 4th rounder

can you offer that?  can you offer less that that but something (5th,6th,7th)?

________

I'm not smart enough to know if there is a significant enough drop to warrant such a trade.  At this point I give Joe Douglass the benefit of the doubt to defer to his judgement on this call.  (the offer to trade back if we see the significant drop is either nothing or so minimal that Douglass can't do it)

________

Food for thought?

no

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

They won’t have a second if they trade up. 

Not true based on the trade value chart we’d be giving up about 1445 points by trading our later 3rd for a pick that’s valued at 1350. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t trade up in first round for nobody this year. There will be a stud at 11 when we pick be it a ot or wr or what ever. Take the stud do not trade up. if anything if there are a couple of blue chips on the board trade down a little. Now if you want to trade up in the second if you see a player that borderline stud falling towards the end of first or early second then by all means trade up then. We need draft picks but on the other had we need star talent. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Jets are in desperate need of a franchise LT and it'll be a failure if JD doesn't come away with one. Yeah, the top WR's look great and I'd love one but they're a luxury the Jets can't afford this year. Next year we'll be picking mid to late in the first round and franchise LT's will not be available.

• Post of the Week 1

I think 3 out of the 4 top OTs are studs. Therefore its a no brainer to stay at 11. 4 OTs aren't going to be gone in the top 10. No way. Everyone is to enticed by the sexy athlete guys. QBs, CBs, DL, and Wrs will go fast in the top 10.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

In this draft, I would trade up for Wirfs for LT and sign as many FAs as we need to fill holes.

If Wirfs is there when Carolina is picking, they should have their head examined if they take Brown.  Switch with the Jets and take Brown at 11.  

The question is whether you try to trade with the Giants.  I don't think the Jets and Giants can do that.  But I do think that Gettleman will outsmart himself again and take someone like Becton or Simmons (remember he came from Carolina and he had Kuechly).   Who played T for Carolina?  

Gettleman is a loose cannon who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. There's no telling what he'll do, but hopefully he continues his streak of inexplicable first round picks. That 'generational' RB he took while passing on Sam has really made a huge difference in their W-L record.