Are you feeling optimistic yet?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know when the season ended the mood was bad despite the winning streak. People are down on Gase. But the sky hasn't fallen, there has been no players revolting in the media. There were a few complaints last year due to injury grievances; Osemele, Enunwa.

Is it possible that Joe Douglas and Adam Gase are on the same page? That they want to create accountability? 

Joe Douglas is on the clock really soon. If they improve this offensive line I think Gase will officially be on the clock. I am open to the possibility that next year could be really good.  Are you?

Douglas is unproven and if you take a real good look at what he was involved in with respect to roster choices where he came from, I don't have much confidence in him.  As for Gase, we just have to wait for him to make a mess of it for another season before Johnson has no choice but to get rid of him.  From that point, we can only hope Johnson/Douglas blunders into hiring an effective HC.

What's good ??? There will  still be football on Sunday and there will always be individual players that are exciting to watch even while Gase blows another season straight out of his ass...

• Thumb Down 5

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Anything but.  I was extremely angry at the Jets during the following seasons when it was justified:

1983 - Five years of Richard Todd?  Really?
1989 - Held onto Joe Walton way too long.
1991 - Seven years of Ken O'Brien?  Really?
1992 - Coslet and Nagle aren't the answer.
1995 - Kotite after Carroll?  Really?  Three years of Boomer Esiason?  Really?
1996 - The Abyss. 
2003 - Pennington hurt and no backup to save our playoff team.
2005 - Pennington hurt and getting tired of his constant injuries killing off entire seasons.
2007 - F-Pennington already, this guy is an egg back there, just can't take it anymore.
2008 - 8-3 collapse, they should have gotten Favre out of there.  Fire Mangini?  Why?
2011 - I knew it was all over, blew the AFCCG, were 8-5 and let Victor Cruz end us on Christmas.
2012 - Where do I begin?  Tony Sporano?  Tim Tebow?  Chaz Schillenz?  Clyde Gates?
2014 - Idzik + Ryan.  Geno Smith goes 3-10.
2016 - Fitzpatrick disaster, no direction, no talent.
2017 - McCown?  Really?  No direction, no talent.

Those are 13 highlights, I'd estimate that I was down on the Jets for 30 of the 42 years I've been a fan.  2020 is not a time to be down on the Jets.  If you know your Jets history, especially.

SAR I

Was just kidding. Long live your optimism. You got me by by a few years as a fan. My heart breaks my eyes ache watching this team over the years. And there is a light at the end of the tunnel or is that a spec on my eyeglasses?

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Anything but.  I was extremely angry at the Jets during the following seasons when it was justified:

1983 - Five years of Richard Todd?  Really?

SAR I

Sometime I discover little factoids about this franchise's sad history that continue to amaze me.

• Haha 1

I will say there was a noticeable difference in both tone and demeanor by Gase in his presser at the combine. He ( to me at least ) didn’t have that cocky arrogance in his delivery. This means he was spoken to. 
I still think the Jets are at least one more real good off season ( assuming we give the benefit of the doubt this will be the first one) from being ready to step in the ring for real with the heavyweights.

I am hoping this year is just part of the process and they play very well in every game and Sam shows us why he was drafted where he was. Not ready to pick a win total yet because I have no clue what the opening day roster looks like. The schedule looks real tough. I’d be happy with just being real competitive and winning a lot of the games that are within a score with 5:00 minutes left. I’d really like to see a wild card this year- but that may be tough to get. But yes- cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 2

douglas has to get the job done but the first step to optimism happened last year when mac was launched.  the optimism will grow when they start signing some good free agents and then making good draft picks.  hopefully we won't see anymore reaches or guys with injury histories etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Douglas is unproven and if you take a real good look at what he was involved in with respect to roster choices where he came from, I don't have much confidence in him.  As for Gase, we just have to wait for him to make a mess of it for another season before Johnson has no choice but to get rid of him.  From that point, we can only hope Johnson/Douglas blunders into hiring an effective HC.

What's good ??? There will  still be football on Sunday and there will always be individual players that are exciting to watch even while Gase blows another season straight out of his ass...

Yeah the Ravens and Eagles, why would we take someone that was trained under Ozzie Newsome.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold are the two most important people in the entire franchise, and it's debatable about what order to rank them if you really think about it.

I was going to post the exact same thing as the first half of your sentence, but the point you raise in the second half is an excellent one.

It's so good, I think it would make an excellent poll type thread. Why not start one?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually I kind of am.

Of course I'd like to see how FA and the draft play out, but unlike quite a few here I don't hate Gase, and I like the CS. Every indication so far is that JD will address the areas of need we want him to, especially the OL.

Plus, if you're a fan, and you don't get excited about the promise of "next year", what's the point really?

I'll expect 6-10 until they prove me wrong.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know when the season ended the mood was bad despite the winning streak. People are down on Gase. But the sky hasn't fallen, there has been no players revolting in the media. There were a few complaints last year due to injury grievances; Osemele, Enunwa.

Is it possible that Joe Douglas and Adam Gase are on the same page? That they want to create accountability? 

Joe Douglas is on the clock really soon. If they improve this offensive line I think Gase will officially be on the clock. I am open to the possibility that next year could be really good.  Are you?

Has anything changed yet?

No FA moves.

No traded for more picks.

No draft.

No play or practice.

So no, I'm no more optimistic than I was when the season ended, because nothing has happened since the season ended yet.

Let's revisit after FA and the draft.  We may have cause then for optimism.

I was hoping for so much last year for it all to come crashing down. I feel like its fresh of breath of air this year. So yeah were all getting ready to get our hearts ripped out again but it feels good now!

But Damnit what if thsi is the year we finally turn it around. God damn we have a shot. Joe can make jsut a couple moves we are...

yeah I am ready man lets go! J E T S JETS JETS JETS

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No FA moves.

No draft.

No play or practice.

So no, I'm no more optimistic than I was when the season ended, because nothing has happened since the season ended yet.

when does it start? assuming somethign is going to start that we are all going to look back and on and be like this was the season we turned it around! I mean whats the time line? I feel like you probably know. is it the draft?

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah the Ravens and Eagles, why would we take someone that was trained under Ozzie Newsome.

Have a look at the players that were added while JD was with the Eagles.  And keep in mind,  you can work under an effective man/woman and observe them, but that is far from any guarantee.  Have a look at how Bill Belichick's assistants work out when they sail away on their own...

I understand you want to feel positive, but be mindful of who owns the Jets.  

Johnson didn't have a job until he was 40 years old, and even then, he didn't have a superior to report to nor did he ever have to be accountable to anyone.   We are talking about a person with very little life experiences outside of his little bubble of privilege and inheritance...

For Johnson, having an NFL team is not about building a winner.  It is a conduit for him to cultivate a public identity.  He likes to mix and mingle with other people that he thinks adds to his grandeur.  Owning the Jets gives him that.  

Look at the Jets management structure.  Look at the GM's that they hired.  Look at their current HC.  For f**k sake, give your brain a chance...

• Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

when does it start? assuming somethign is going to start that we are all going to look back and on and be like this was the season we turned it around! I mean whats the time line? I feel like you probably know. is it the draft?

Personally, I'd say change in feeling might start with Free Agency.  Then the Draft will change feelings as well.  Then Camp.  Then actual games we presumably play well in and win right off....

Just not sure why we would feel differently today.  Nothing has happened yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

I'll expect 6-10 until they prove me wrong.

I'm on record here as optimistic.

There are different levels of optimism though. Am I @SAR I 12-4 optimistic? No, I'm not even close. I also think that 3 years in with Darnold, we cannot revert back to a 5, 6 win team, then shrug it off as a step in the rebuilding process.

I think we need 8 wins minimum to call the '20 season a good one when we look back at it, regardless of changes to the roster. Second year with the same CS, the now veteran QB, the excuses begin to wane. I don't expect us to win the division, I think Buffalo is going to be the team that takes down NE, and they do it this year. I do expect us to be competitive for a WC though I don't see us getting it.

If I had to guess I'd say 8-8 feels right, and we go into the offseason very optimistic about '21.

If we end up 6-10 like you expect, I think the Jets will have to look at making two very important personnel changes. One on field, and the other off. I think you can guess the two I'm talking about.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think the team is in better hands than it was.   I also think the offense is so bereft of talent, it will take 2-3 years to re build.   A whole new O Line is needed, at least 1 WR, a healthy tight end, and in a year, a new running back.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I think the team is in better hands than it was.   I also think the offense is so bereft of talent, it will take 2-3 years to re build.   A whole new O Line is needed, at least 1 WR, a healthy tight end, and in a year, a new running back.  

We need Sam to have 5 yrs of "practice games" before we can decide if he was worth all that draft capital...

tryna get over that LOW BAR!!
Fairy Floss GIF

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No FA moves.

No draft.

No play or practice.

Dude, Josh Dotson.

Super Bowl, duh.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think when Maccagnan came in he was very “We’re going to build this thing through the draft.“

...and then he spent a bunch in FA several times and didn’t draft well.

I’d like a boring but solid FA period. Vaitai over Conklin, Glasgow over Thuney - assuming the price tags are what I suspect for all of those guys. Maybe grab Perriman if he’s cheap, bring back Bey Bey on a non guaranteed one year deal, re-sign Alex Lewis, figure out what QB gets left in the cold after teams play musical chairs and make him the backup. That kind of stuff. Not spending for the sake of it.

Then use a draft class that’s strong at WR, T, and C to help elevate the young QB. Repeatedly. Start building.

This doesn’t need to be a playoff team this year. Not all needs have to be filled. It’s okay going into next season weak at corner or on the edge. Make incremental improvements, favor helping the quarterback over all else, and get this moving in the right direction for the first time in like 12 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1