Jump to content

Are you feeling optimistic yet?


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Either you are 1) employed within the Jets organization or you are 2) so desperate for the Jets to be a good team, your mind is manufacturing its own reality...

Which one is it ???

3)  The Jets actually are a good team.

SAR I

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

3)  The Jets actually are a good team.

SAR I

There are a few things to feel good about.  First off.   If you have no QB as has been the case with the Jets up until Sam, you have NO team.  The Jets now have the all-critical piece in place with respect to to the roster,  They have a QB that may very well be a "franchise" qb.

Next.  They have a top notch DC.  Greg Williams defense kept them in every game but one.  As long as Williams stays, the Jets wont be getting waxed on a weekly basis.

Chris Johnson was aware enough to realize they had a problem with McCagnan and he was dynamic enough to make a dramatic change.  Getting Douglas was a good thing.  As of yet, Douglas is still unproven as a GM regardless of how well he did in his past positions.  Saying otherwise is wishful fanboy thinking.  What we can say is that there is nothing to make us think he was a bad choice.  We'll have to wait and see.

As for Gase... My assessment is accurate.  He is a smart guy that loves football.  He works hard and he is totally committed.  BUT... He has two flaws.  One is his personality and interpersonal relationship skills.  I dont know the guy, but by most accounts, he rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  THIS is not fatal.  It is just a disadvantage. Take Belichick for example.  No "warm and fuzzy" there.  When he was with the Browns, everyone wanted him at the end of a rope.  And now look....

Next... And this *IS* fatal for a HC.  Especially one that is also your OC.  

Gase is not a coach that can take account of his roster, understand the strengths and weaknesses of his players (ESPECIALLY THE QB) and from there, design a system and play book that takes advantage of the unique talents of who he has to work with.  Gase has his cherished system (strawberries) and he is going to jam it up everyone's ass.

Good old Adam "Square Peg In Round Hole" Gase...

And THAT is going to kill them.  Perhaps even derail Darnold's career... 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

As for Gase... My assessment is accurate.  He is a smart guy that loves football.  He works hard and he is totally committed.  BUT... He has two flaws.  One is his personality and interpersonal relationship skills. 

Evidence To Feel Good:

If he were a caustic, unlikable person and one who is closed off from his players, a) they would have joined the hype media pile-on and got his ass fired in Week 5 or b) would have stabbed him in the back the remaining 11 weeks or crushed him to pieces in exit interviews when the week ended.  None of this happened.  The opposite, in fact.  The team rallied for 6 wins in their last 8 games and uttered not a peep of discontent.  All that media sniffing for a story, all those Manish's looking for dirt.  And silence.  No players are trying to force their way out of town.  No coaches are looking to get out.

59 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Gase is not a coach that can take account of his roster, understand the strengths and weaknesses of his players (ESPECIALLY THE QB) and from there, design a system and play book that takes advantage of the unique talents of who he has to work with.

Evidence To Feel Good:

The roster was decimated by illness, injury, and years of bad drafting, half the roster was backups and scrubs for half the season.  Worst rushing attack in the NFL.  QB coming back from a debilitating disease.  Gase and the Jets go 6-2.  And that only happens because Adam coached and strategized his ass off, figuring out a way to make something of an XFL roster. 

So I appreciate the NY media-fed narrative that you seem to be subscribing to, that Gase is the Devil and he has major flaws with his personality and his strategy.  But all evidence is to the contrary.  The beat writers were wrong.  The evil clickbait media is wrong.  Gase proved himself in the second half of the season in every way possible.  Worry about the roster; don't worry about the QB or the HC.  Or the GM or the DC for that matter.  That's one hell of a core.  Give them a little time.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2020 at 7:24 AM, LIJetsFan said:

NY Jets: Todd McShay doesn’t expect Joe Douglas to spend wildly in free agency

by Justin Fried

The NY Jets are expected to overhaul much of their roster in the offseason, but ESPN’s Todd McShay doesn’t expect the team to spend wildly in free agency.

NY Jets general manager Joe Douglas will enter his first full offseason with his new team with plans to upgrade what was a pretty underwhelming roster in 2019.

Through free agency and the 2020 NFL Draft, the hope is that Douglas will be able to provide the Jets with a number of short-term and long-term building blocks to allow the team to take its next step towards playoff contention once again.

With around $70 million in cap space projected after a few cuts, the Jets should have plenty of resources to make things happen in free agency. However, one analyst and former college teammate of Douglas doesn’t expect the Jets to be major players on the open market.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has known Joe Douglas for quite some time as the two attended the University of Richmond together and remain good friends to this day. So when McShay talks about Douglas, it’s best Jets fans listen up.

The longtime draft analyst spoke with ESPN’s Rich Cimini about Douglas and the Jets plans this offseason and he insisted that he “doesn’t expect wild spending [by the Jets] in NFL free agency.”

He made note of Douglas’ background with Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome and how they tend to hunt more for the bargain than hand out a ton of money in free agency.

“I wouldn’t guess that they’re going to go out and spend a ton of money. “But if they do spend, it’s going to be on guys who are a little underrated and can provide some versatility and some veteran leadership, and probably some special teams help.”

Now, of course, this doesn’t mean that the Jets aren’t going to target big names like Jack Conklin, Byron Jones, and Joe Thuney. But it is a little insight into Douglas’ background and how the systems he was brought up in tend to operate.

However, Douglas will be calling all of the shots for the first time in his career. He doesn’t have to abide by previous regimes’ strategies — he could forge his own path.

Based on things that he has said, it seems likely that the offensive line will remain a top priority and that could include spending some big money on free agents. Maybe it’s not a Conklin or a Thuney, but a Graham Glasgow or a Connor McGovern.

We still have a little over two weeks before free agency officially arrives. But Jets fans have high expectations for Douglas’ first offseason with the team.

So, JD won't spend money on big time free agents....unless he does. 

 

Cool.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Evidence To Feel Good:

If he were a caustic, unlikable person and one who is closed off from his players, a) they would have joined the hype media pile-on and got his ass fired in Week 5 or b) would have stabbed him in the back the remaining 11 weeks or crushed him to pieces in exit interviews when the week ended.  None of this happened.  The opposite, in fact.  The team rallied for 6 wins in their last 8 games and uttered not a peep of discontent.  All that media sniffing for a story, all those Manish's looking for dirt.  And silence.  No players are trying to force their way out of town.  No coaches are looking to get out.

Evidence To Feel Good:

The roster was decimated by illness, injury, and years of bad drafting, half the roster was backups and scrubs for half the season.  Worst rushing attack in the NFL.  QB coming back from a debilitating disease.  Gase and the Jets go 6-2.  And that only happens because Adam coached and strategized his ass off, figuring out a way to make something of an XFL roster. 

So I appreciate the NY media-fed narrative that you seem to be subscribing to, that Gase is the Devil and he has major flaws with his personality and his strategy.  But all evidence is to the contrary.  The beat writers were wrong.  The evil clickbait media is wrong.  Gase proved himself in the second half of the season in every way possible.  Worry about the roster; don't worry about the QB or the HC.  Or the GM or the DC for that matter.  That's one hell of a core.  Give them a little time.

SAR I

The 6-2 bit that you refer to came courtesy of the worst teams in the league.  You are an elephant hanging from a cliff with your tail tied to a daisy... 

Greg Williams was masterful all year despite key injuries and other unforeseen roster issues. 

Gase was horrible at doing everything other than conning CJ into believing he's a brain child. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Next... And this *IS* fatal for a HC.  Especially one that is also your OC.  

Gase is not a coach that can take account of his roster, understand the strengths and weaknesses of his players (ESPECIALLY THE QB) and from there, design a system and play book that takes advantage of the unique talents of who he has to work with.  Gase has his cherished system (strawberries) and he is going to jam it up everyone's ass.

I completely agree with your assessment.

I’ll give Gase a pass for last year. (With Sam getting sick, the 2nd string QB out for the season then a third stinger...the OL)

This year is different .he now knows what he has in Sam, and he better use Le’Veon more effectively. Plus, by being directly involved in the draft process he’d be better using all them hours at the office scheming up something quite effective this season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

2nd funniest sitcom next to All in the Family - just priceless 

That CBS Saturday lineup of that time has to be the best ever. Every one of them was terrific.  

All in the Family

The Bob Newhart Show

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Carol Burnett Show 

NBC had something close on Thursday night years later in the Seinfeld, Friends era, but the CBS Saturday night grouping is the gold standard.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That CBS Saturday lineup of that time has to be the best ever. Every one of them was terrific.  

All in the Family

The Bob Newhart Show

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Carol Burnett Show 

NBC had something close on Thursday night years later in the Seinfeld, Friends era, but the CBS Saturday night grouping is the gold standard.

My mother always tried to get me to watch the Carol Burnett show as a kid.  I didn't see the humor in it.  I still don't.  Always thought Harvey Corman and Tim Conway were amazingly talented though.  But the Mary Tyler Moore Show is probably the best written TV show of all time.  James L Brooks was on a run there in the late seventies where he could do no wrong.  I think Stephen J Cannell was the only producer/writer at the time who had more talent.  My all time favorite show is still the Rockford Files.  James Garner said Cannell could come up with a story in a studio park lot on Wednesday, split writing duties with an associate for half the dialog over the weekend and then make two halves work by Monday.  I am sure there are people who would tell me I am wrong.  That Norman Lear was probably heads and above better.  But to take a genre as played out as private detective fiction (neo-noirs were a dime a dozen then) and totally invent a new style of character.... Cannell had amazing talent.  There is a reason why The Rockford Files, The A Team, 21 Jump Street, Baretta and Wiseguy still pop up in our culture from time to time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That CBS Saturday lineup of that time has to be the best ever. Every one of them was terrific.  

All in the Family

The Bob Newhart Show

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Carol Burnett Show 

NBC had something close on Thursday night years later in the Seinfeld, Friends era, but the CBS Saturday night grouping is the gold standard.

‘Those were the days‘. 

And GM’s were GM’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

My mother always tried to get me to watch the Carol Burnett show as a kid.  I didn't see the humor in it.  I still don't.  Always thought Harvey Corman and Tim Conway were amazingly talented though.  But the Mary Tyler Moore Show is probably the best written TV show of all time.  James L Brooks was on a run there in the late seventies where he could do no wrong.  I think Stephen J Cannell was the only producer/writer at the time who had more talent.  My all time favorite show is still the Rockford Files.  James Garner said Cannell could come up with a story in a park loting the director needed the next week, tell an associate to write half the dialog over the weekend and he would the two halves work by Monday.  I am sure there are people who would tell me I am wrong.  That Norman Lear was probably heads and above better.  But to take a genre as played out as private detective fiction (neo-noirs were a dime a dozen then) and totally invent a new style of character.... takes amazing talent.

I hate to sound like the old man yelling at clouds, but looking back, the writing in general seems so much better then now. Older "mid tier" comedies like Green Acres, Get Smart, even the Flintstones (which was basically a rip off of the Honeymooners) are superior to what you see on the networks today. 

Speaking of The Rockford Files, I never really got into it, or shows of that genre, like Columbo, Hawaii 5-0, Matlock, or Murder She Wrote despite how popular they all were... You've peaked my curiosity about it now though. I'll try to check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The 6-2 bit that you refer to came courtesy of the worst teams in the league.  You are an elephant hanging from a cliff with your tail tied to a daisy... 

The Ravens played 11 scrubs and went 10-1.  The Bills played 9 scrubs and went 7-2.  If the Jets finished 2-6 or 3-5 against these teams I could see your disappointment.  Going 6-2 against the same caliber of teams the other AFC playoff teams faced is on par, it's what you need to do in order to take the step the next season.  Oh, and did I mention how beat up our roster was?  The Ravens and Bills were perfectly healthy.

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Greg Williams was masterful all year despite key injuries and other unforeseen roster issues. 

Gase was horrible at doing everything other than conning CJ into believing he's a brain child. 

This where your #nevergase bias is on full display.  Gregg did a great job with the D but he didn't coach the O.  The O did an even better job than the D considering it was behind a 22 year old quarterback and a running back who was awful, and the worst OL in the NFL.  To a man, we all feel the Jets O is what needs the most work this offseason, right?  Well, that applies to last season too.  Gase's job on the O was better than Gregg's job with the D.  You need to recognize that.  Or don't and be a miserable SOJF hater for the rest of your life.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Ravens played 11 scrubs and went 10-1.  The Bills played 9 scrubs and went 7-2.  If the Jets finished 2-6 or 3-5 against these teams I could see your disappointment.  Going 6-2 against the same caliber of teams the other AFC playoff teams faced is on par, it's what you need to do in order to take the step the next season.  Oh, and did I mention how beat up our roster was?  The Ravens and Bills were perfectly healthy.

This where your #nevergase bias is on full display.  Gregg did a great job with the D but he didn't coach the O.  The O did an even better job than the D considering it was behind a 22 year old quarterback and a running back who was awful, and the worst OL in the NFL.  To a man, we all feel the Jets O is what needs the most work this offseason, right?  Well, that applies to last season too.  Gase's job on the O was better than Gregg's job with the D.  You need to recognize that.  Or don't and be a miserable SOJF hater for the rest of your life.

SAR I

Gase will bring us to the promised land... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Gase will bring us to the promised land... 

You are being sarcastic, but there is evidence to show that he is a complete head coach and the answer to our prayers:

Culture:  Turned the loser Dolphins into a playoff team.  Didn't let the Jets collapse after 1-7 start, no marijuana busts, no dick pics, no taking plays off, no broken jaws, no DUI's like the Ryan and Bowles rosters were known for.

Leadership:  Players played hard for him last season, 6-2 finish is a testament to his ability to lead and how they buy-in to what he's selling.

Gameplanning:  TBD in New York due to ridiculous injuries and illnesses, but Peyton Manning thinks he is brilliant, Gase is one of the few (only?) coaches the best QB in NFL history ever put his name on.  Jury's still out but feels good.

Adjustments:  Another TBD due to illnesses and injuries, but he did adjust the entire team and tweaked the O to win despite a lousy OL, lousy RB, and a young QB.  Feels good.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, Maxman said:

I know when the season ended the mood was bad despite the winning streak. People are down on Gase. But the sky hasn't fallen, there has been no players revolting in the media. There were a few complaints last year due to injury grievances; Osemele, Enunwa.

Is it possible that Joe Douglas and Adam Gase are on the same page? That they want to create accountability? 

Joe Douglas is on the clock really soon. If they improve this offensive line I think Gase will officially be on the clock. I am open to the possibility that next year could be really good.  Are you?

I'm still feeling pretty optimistic that the Jets will still STINK for the next 100 years.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

The O did an even better job than the D considering it was behind a 22 year old quarterback and a running back who was awful, and the worst OL in the NFL.  To a man, we all feel the Jets O is what needs the most work this offseason, right?  Well, that applies to last season too.  Gase's job on the O was better than Gregg's job with the D.  You need to recognize that.  Or don't and be a miserable SOJF hater for the rest of your life.

SAR I

We had like the 31st ranked offense last year. In no way at all was it good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

Evidence To Feel Good:

If he were a caustic, unlikable person and one who is closed off from his players, a) they would have joined the hype media pile-on and got his ass fired in Week 5 or b) would have stabbed him in the back the remaining 11 weeks or crushed him to pieces in exit interviews when the week ended.  None of this happened.  The opposite, in fact.  The team rallied for 6 wins in their last 8 games and uttered not a peep of discontent.  All that media sniffing for a story, all those Manish's looking for dirt.  And silence.  No players are trying to force their way out of town.  No coaches are looking to get out.

Evidence To Feel Good:

The roster was decimated by illness, injury, and years of bad drafting, half the roster was backups and scrubs for half the season.  Worst rushing attack in the NFL.  QB coming back from a debilitating disease.  Gase and the Jets go 6-2.  And that only happens because Adam coached and strategized his ass off, figuring out a way to make something of an XFL roster. 

So I appreciate the NY media-fed narrative that you seem to be subscribing to, that Gase is the Devil and he has major flaws with his personality and his strategy.  But all evidence is to the contrary.  The beat writers were wrong.  The evil clickbait media is wrong.  Gase proved himself in the second half of the season in every way possible.  Worry about the roster; don't worry about the QB or the HC.  Or the GM or the DC for that matter.  That's one hell of a core.  Give them a little time.

SAR I

Curious how many missed calls before you end up like #PoorCarl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...