Jalen Hurts combine could throw draft into a whirlwind

Jalen Hurts crushed the combine.  He immediately becomes a serious answer for QB needy teams. This now could drastically change how teams in need of a QB approach the draft. Do they trade up, do they spend that 1st rounder on a qb or sit back and wait until round 2? Hurts has similar skills to Jackson, Murray, Wilson and Prescott. This kid could be the steal of the draft and could ultimately change teams thinking that need a QB like Chargers, Bengals, Colts, Miami, Redskins, etc. Of course there are so many unanswered questions with these teams and the upcoming carousel of QB’s changing teams. But I could see a number of these teams changing their minds and not taking that QB with the #1 pick or trading up. Case in point:

Bengals take Chase Young in round 1 and Jalen Hurts in round 2. That would actually work to the Jets benefit since Burrows and the others would fall back a slot. 

• Haha 1

I really don’t see the arm talent in Jalen that I seen in Kyler Murray or Russel Wilson.(both multi-sport athletes with amazing arms.) I also don’t see the speed and athleticism in Jalen that I see in Lamar Jackson. I watched a ton of Hurts this offseason as a sort of “practice run” on writes up because I was trying to practice presentation and not sounding like a complete idiot(LOL) before I started writing draft stuff as of super recent. tbh I seen a guy who has a knack for extending plays but has a lot of inconsistencies in mechanics, not letting plays develop before running and at times shows poor ball placement 20+ yards out. Jalen could work in the NFL with some polish but you’re looking at a 2 year project with someone like him imo. he’s a 4th round swing at the fence pick like Macc did when he selected Bryce Petty. 

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Bengals take Chase Young in round 1 and Jalen Hurts in round 2. That would actually work to the Jets benefit since Burrows and the others would fall back a slot. 

I don’t see how that benefits the Jets. 

Shuffling picks 1-10 doesn’t change who’s available at #11, we’d have to get some new names in front of us to push someone down, like if JAX drafted K’Lavon Chaisson to replace Ngoukwe, or if Love goes to Carolina. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think there is only 1 possible impact for the Jets: Somebody falls in love with Hurts - has him rated above Jordan Love - and wants to trade up to #11 to get him - which I think is very unlikely

Hurts being taken any time before the Jets pick,1st or 2nd or 3rd rounds, would help us. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I really don’t see the arm talent in Jalen that I seen in Kyler Murray or Russel Wilson.(both multi-sport athletes with amazing arms.) I also don’t see the speed and athleticism in Jalen that I see in Lamar Jackson. I watched a ton of Hurts this offseason as a sort of “practice run” on writes up because I was trying to practice presentation and not sounding like a complete idiot(LOL) before I started writing draft stuff as of super recent. tbh I seen a guy who has a knack for extending plays but has a lot of inconsistencies in mechanics, not letting plays develop before running and at times shows poor ball placement 20+ yards out. Jalen could work in the NFL with some polish but you’re looking at a 2 year project with someone like him imo. he’s a 4th round swing at the fence pick like Macc did when he selected Bryce Petty. 

Kid is raw like, no doubt. But he’s an intriguing prospect. The NFL has changed so much with the likes of Wilson and Prescott who were both selected in 4th round and have risen to stardom. This skills cannot be taught. Pure athleticism. I was down to take either of those two. I mean what do you have to lose if it doesn’t pan out? And we’re used to draft picks falling off the face of the earth.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jalen Hurts would be a good fit for any team that never, ever wants to compete in a big game. 

Drafting Jalen Hurts to be your starting QB is like drafting Tim Tebow all over again without the IT factor which wasn’t enough for Tebow to overcome his arm.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

QB might be the position that should be least impacted by Combine performance.  If you think you see something in Indy that changes what you think you saw over the last 3 years of watching film, you probably drink too much coffee.

Or not enough. I do miss those days of drinking 6-7 per day.   

5AFE4900-712B-4561-816A-2EE101A22C4D.jpeg

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Jalen Hurts crushed the combine.  He immediately becomes a serious answer for QB needy teams. This now could drastically change how teams in need of a QB approach the draft. Do they trade up, do they spend that 1st rounder on a qb or sit back and wait until round 2? Hurts has similar skills to Jackson, Murray, Wilson and Prescott. This kid could be the steal of the draft and could ultimately change teams thinking that need a QB like Chargers, Bengals, Colts, Miami, Redskins, etc. Of course there are so many unanswered questions with these teams and the upcoming carousel of QB’s changing teams. But I could see a number of these teams changing their minds and not taking that QB with the #1 pick or trading up. Case in point:

ice cube what GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

QB might be the position that should be least impacted by Combine performance.  If you think you see something in Indy that changes what you think you saw over the last 3 years of watching film, you probably drink too much coffee.

Just proves what a crapshoot the draft is and how the combine can fool the best football minds. Dak, Wilson and Jackson all were lights out yet drafted late.  Yet are 3 of the top QB's in the game. You just never know. And here we are stuck with QW.

• Upvote 1