Panthers shopping Guard Trai Turner

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think I would offer our 4th rounder or maybe the second of our 3rd
rounders for Turner.  He would cost less than Thuney and fill one
of our guard spots before free agency for the next two years    

Don't love trading picks for vets and their contracts, but I could get behind this. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey crazy idea here but what if we keep all our picks and draft good players with them?

Normally I agree, but considering his age and pedigree + our immediate need to protect and develop Sam, this is worth looking into. At his age, he could be your starting guard for another 4-5 years after his current deal is up.

His price is relatively high for around $10 mil a year, couple with the fact that a team is going to have to give up a good draft pick for him.

I wouldn’t give anything higher than a 4th for him though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey crazy idea here but what if we keep all our picks and draft good players with them?

That’s an insane concept ....next you’ll be suggesting when we finally do draft a pro bowl player we re-sign them rather than look to trade them away 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 straight pro bowls. No injury history to speak of.  2 years left at $10 million per. This is a no brainer. I'd give the early 3rd plus a conditional 5th next year. This is not Osemele. You're getting an All-Pro Guard at 26 years old under contract for two more years. The chances of getting that with your 3rd round pick are slim to none.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Makes no sense.  This guy is a very top player at his position on a good deal and young.  He has had two concussions though, which could be the red flag.  CAR might know something more than everyone else about his willingness to play through one more concussion and may be looking to get value while it's still high.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Looks like they are trying to get something for him.  Might mean we can actually get him for not a huge price.

From Rotoworld:

Turner has started 80 games for the Panthers since being selected in the third round of the 2014 draft. Generally Turner has been one of the team's better offensive linemen, although he graded out as PFF's No. 33 overall guard among 86 qualified players in 2019. It's unclear how much of a market Turner has in free agency, as this could simply be a last-gasp effort of getting something back instead of an out-right release. Still, the Panthers would inherit $9.5 million in dead cap by releasing Turner before June 1.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

5 straight pro bowls. No injury history to speak of.  2 years left at $10 million per. This is a no brainer. I'd give the early 3rd plus a conditional 5th next year. This is not Osemele. You're getting an All-Pro Guard at 26 years old under contract for two more years. The chances of getting that with your 3rd round pick are slim to none.

Boingo

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Not so fast.  Two separate concussions each costing him 3 games I believe.  CAR resigned him for big money just two years ago and let Andrew Norwell go.  Now they are looking to move him when they are not in dire cap trouble?  It makes no sense.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Makes no sense.  This guy is a very top player at his position on a good deal and young.  He has had two concussions though, which could be the red flag.  CAR might know something more than everyone else about his willingness to play through one more concussion and may be looking to get value while it's still high.  

It’s a little something called...tank for Trevor. 

• Upvote 1

All depends on the draft pick compensation.  For a 4th I would do it in a minute, but I assume someone will give up more than a 4 for a pro bowl caliber G.

Turner's base this season is $8.5MM; we would save $7.0MM if we release Winters.  Not much impact on the cap this year to add him.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not so fast.  Two separate concussions each costing him 3 games I believe.  CAR resigned him for big money just two years ago and let Andrew Norwell go.  Now they are looking to move him when they are not in dire cap trouble?  It makes no sense.

image.jpeg

Agreed.  Unless they are going to ask for ridiculous compensation something must be up with him.  

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Do people really think we're going to get 26yr old 5x pro bowl guard for a 4th round pick? Where does this come from?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

Exactly.  One of the best guards in the league, age 26, and people are like. “I’d give a 4th.”   Meanwhile people are saying a certain safety, who’s name will remain nameless, is worth a 1st and 3rd.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  One of the best guards in the league, age 26, and people are like. “I’d give a 4th.”   Meanwhile people are saying a certain safety, who’s name will remain nameless, is worth a 1st and 3rd.  

I can't imagine Turner getting traded for anything less than a 2nd 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

image.jpeg

They're literally selling the entire team and rebuilding.  

16 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

A lot of comments in the Panthers message board saying he got Mohamed Wilkerson disease (fat and lazy) after signing his big contract. 

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/162596-trai-turner-is-being-shopped-around-per-espn/#comments

Good find.  Seems to be a pretty consistent argument there.  I think in this case you let some other team overpay him hoping he'll rediscover his love for the game in a new place.  The Jets are still licking their open sores from the last Panther OL they took in.