Good point by Beningo about jets history of drafting WRs

On 3/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, Philc1 said:

Last 3 Jets WRS drafted in round 1:

Santana Moss -  good player, would have been better if we had a qb who could throw past 5 yards

Keyshawn - top 3 WR while he was here

Al Toon - excellent player

The jets have actually been LUCKY at drafting top round WRs

Fixed it for you. We haven’t been good at anything. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I think you are correct.  Maurice Lucas(good luck trying to get offensive rebounds with him and Walton)  Bobby Gross  Lionel Hollins. That team was the closet thing to the Knicks from 68-73 that I can remember.

Funny you said that about th Knicks, I was thinking the same thing last night.

Lucas and Wes Unseld were two of my favorite players in their time. The Bullets with Unseld, matched up perfectly against the Willis Reed Knicks. Marin/Bradley, Johnson/ Debbusschere, Monroe/ Frazier, and I can't remember who covered Barnett, lol.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. We have a decent track record historically in the 1st round. But that's not a reason to draft or not to draft a receiver in the 1st round. 

When you're drafting at the top of the round, you damn sure should have a 'decent' record. Actually, I'm thinking they have a poor record. but what one GM does should not have significant bearing on what another team GM did.

If Jeudy is there and the OT/G position has been addressed OR the OT talent is already off the board, sure I'd say get him. That said, I generally believe in taking elite skill players only after the foundation has been taken care of, but clearly other Jets GMs haven't agreed with that team-building philosophy.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Funny you said that about th Knicks, I was thinking the same thing last night.

Lucas and Wes Unseld were two of my favorite players in their time. The Bullets with Unseld, matched up perfectly against the Willis Reed Knicks. Marin/Bradley, Johnson/ Debbusschere, Monroe/ Frazier, and I can't remember who covered Barnett, lol.

Mike Riordan maybe?

Was a Clyde man, growing up. So many Clutch moments. I patterned my game to be like his. I was devastated when he was traded. I was very bitter. But Ray Williams and Michael Ray came on. Ray was from Mt. Vernon where I grew up. I never played against him, but I DID play against Rodney McCrae, who played for the Rockets and, I think, Bulls, in 8th grade gym.

thanks for bringing those memories up.

23 minutes ago, phill1c said:

When you're drafting at the top of the round, you damn sure should have a 'decent' record. Actually, I'm thinking they have a poor record. but what one GM does should not have significant bearing on what another team GM did.

If Jeudy is there and the OT/G position has been addressed OR the OT talent is already off the board, sure I'd say get him. That said, I generally believe in taking elite skill players only after the foundation has been taken care of, but clearly other Jets GMs haven't agreed with that team-building philosophy.

Mike Riordan maybe?

Was a Clyde man, growing up. So many Clutch moments. I patterned my game to be like his. I was devastated when he was traded. I was very bitter. But Ray Williams and Michael Ray came on. Ray was from Mt. Vernon where I grew up. I never played against him, but I DID play against Rodney McCrae, who played for the Rockets and, I think, Bulls, in 8th grade gym.

thanks for bringing those memories up.

Whoever he was, he was before Riordan. I wanted to say Phil Chenier, who was really good. He came up a year or two later though, and matched up with Clyde, so I know it wasn't him I'm thinking of.

EDIT got it!!! Kevin Loughery was the guy. You were closer then me, you had the  white and Irish parts, that's what helped me remember lol

Didn't Rodney have a brother nicknamed Scooter, or was that Rodney's, can't remember...

Michael Ray had one of my favorite quotes ever "This ship be sinking".. man, I still use that when something goes wrong.

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Whoever he was, he was before Riordan. I wanted to say Phil Chenier, who was really good. He came up a year or two later though, and matched up with Clyde, so I know it wasn't him I'm thinking of.

EDIT got it!!! Kevin Loughery was the guy. You were closer then me, you had the  white and Irish parts, that's what helped me remember lol

Didn't Rodney have a brother nicknamed Scooter, or was that Rodney's, can't remember...

Michael Ray had one of my favorite quotes ever "This ship be sinking".. man, I still use that when something goes wrong.

Yep, Scooter was older. Kevin Loughery, Nets coach.