Who is most important to the future success of the New York Jets?

Who is most important to the future success of the New York Jets?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who is most important to the future success of the New York Jets?

• GM Joe Douglas
    • QB Sam Darnold

One way to think about this question:  If you could pick one of these guys to be extremely successful and the other is simply good/average, who would you pick?

Could a good (but not great) Sam Darnold lead the Jets to greatness if Joe Douglas does an elite job at building a team around him?  Or, would you prefer to have a elite, Top-5 QB leading a more average team built by a decent GM?

Which one guy is most critical to the Jets success in the coming years? @14 in Green

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Darnold fails, Douglas’ life becomes hell and he has to go the Andy Dalton/Ryan Fitzpatrick route whereby he ends his career as a GM. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him draft a QB before the fourth round this year just to cover his ass. 

If Darnold doesn't show improvement and we hold a high enough pick next year to put us in the Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields sweepstakes, we could be looking at another first round QB.  For me, this makes Douglas more important than Sam.  He signed a 6 year, top-end GM contract.  Should Darnold fail, he will get to pick his own hand-selected QB.  If Gase fails?  He will get to pick his own hand-selected Head Coach.  This isn't even addressing the fact that he runs the show and will be the team builder.  These are the long-term decisions that have a massive impact on our future.  Sam busting?  Well, it would suck, yeah...but you just try again.

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

One way to think about this question:  If you could pick one of these guys to be extremely successful and the other is simply good/average, who would you pick?

Could a good (but not great) Sam Darnold lead the Jets to greatness if Joe Douglas does an elite job at building a team around him?  Or, would you prefer to have a elite, Top-5 QB leading a more average team built by a decent GM?

Which one guy is most critical to the Jets success in the coming years? @14 in Green

This has to be your dumbest thread ever! ?

I’m going Douglas.

We’ve seen average QBs win Super Bowls with great teams around them

A great GM  ensures having a team that’s solid enough to win, plus they can perform their job well, even with a a leg or arm injury, much less a kissing disease.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold has been my guy since his 1st full year in college.

Saying that it is always the GM.

Darnold would have no chance if mccaganan was still GM.  He has already been hurt by ass clown GMing.

I 100 percent agree.   The Colts brought in no talent, and destroyed Andrew Luck.  If Douglas doesn't bring in some O Line to protect Darnold, he will get beaten out of the league.   No young QB wins in vacuume. 

There have been a lot of "good" QBs who won with talent around them, not a lot of amazing QBs who won with a mediocre team around them.  For that matter, how many young QBs have found success without a strong team around them?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Darnold fails, Douglas’ life becomes hell and he has to go the Andy Dalton/Ryan Fitzpatrick route whereby he ends his career as a GM. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him draft a QB before the fourth round this year just to cover his ass. 

Considering Darnold's struggles over his first two seasons....and the predictive data that already exists that paints his potential career arc as concerning, he'd be silly not to. There's also plenty of guys available this offseason. There's zero reason to have some scrub like Simien or Falk to be QB 2 or potentially 1b.

• Upvote 1

Having an elite GM means having an elite roster, so that sounds pretty good.

Then again, maybe the way to look at it is: Which do we see more - Meh QBs winning Super Bowl's with loaded rosters or HOF QBs winning Super Bowls with meh rosters?

I'm pretty sure I'd sign for either the QB or GM being elite for the next decade. 

Yea, I'm good either way 

Two years ago I'd say Sam but he's shown he can make it in this league.  It's how good the team is around him that will allow him to elevate his level of play.  And that's entirely on Joe Douglas.  Which is why Douglas is more important at this juncture of the Jet's franchise's existence.

Darnold.

The 49ers this past year were absolutely loaded with talent, did some great roster building for several years and have a great offensive minded head coach at the helm.

They lost because Jimmy couldn’t hit a wide open Sanders deep down the middle when it counted. 

The margins are so small in this sport and good quarterback play is by far the biggest difference between wins and losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDx7XSSD9g

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Darnold.

The 49ers this past year were absolutely loaded with talent, did some great roster building for several years and have a great offensive minded head coach at the helm.

They lost because Jimmy couldn’t hit a wide open Sanders deep down the middle when it counted. 

The margins are so small in this sport and good quarterback play is by far the biggest difference between wins and losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDx7XSSD9g

Yet when Jimmy was out a year ago they went 4-12.

An elite QB (Brady, mahomes, Peyton, Rodgers, ...) can be the biggest difference maker in wins and losses but we've seen so many decent but not great QBs win SBs through the years.  You don't need an elite QB, you need a good QB with a good team around him.  We have the QB, we are not far off from being a playoff team.  This offseason is critical.

12 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We can easily fire JD if he sucks and replace at any time. If we cut Darnold there is no guarantee  we can replace him as quickly

You can also replace Sam if he doesn’t do well. The Jets also have had some awful general managers. If Douglas drafts and signs dlineman and ignores the oline and doesn’t bring in a good wide receiver that has a huge effect on the team and Sam. JD can make or break the team. 

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Considering Darnold's struggles over his first two seasons....and the predictive data that already exists that paints his potential career arc as concerning, he'd be silly not to. There's also plenty of guys available this offseason. There's zero reason to have some scrub like Simien or Falk to be QB 2 or potentially 1b.

Strictly from a self-preservation standpoint, I don’t think Gase can sell anyone on another 0-4 stretch if Darnold goes down again. And Douglas has to know that‘ll fall in his lap, too. Darnold is like the reverse-Wolverine of healing, too, so they better cover their bases.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Strictly from a self-preservation standpoint, I don’t think Gase can sell anyone on another 0-4 stretch if Darnold goes down again. And Douglas has to know that‘ll fall in his lap, too. Darnold is like the reverse-Wolverine of healing, too, so they better cover their bases.

031569E6-32F0-4D24-A2DC-33A9E6B5E47E.jpeg

• Haha 1