Quinnen Williams 2020 Draft

If Q.Williams came out of Bama this year instead of last year, where would he be drafted, and is he a better prospect than D.Brown? 

Was bored and thought about this today at work. Q probably gets picked 7-15 in the 1st round, imo. Too many good offensive players in this draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

c'mon.  so he didn't light it up a a rookie.  that doesn't mean he won't this season and beyond.  he's still a young kid and had to get acclimated to playing in the nfl.  there are lots of guys who do light it up their first years and then fall flat for the rest of their careers.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Compare Mockdraftable Quinnen and Derrick Brown.  We are delusional to think that Derrick Brown is going top 10.  The only thing athletic Brown has going for him is size. 

if you want to see an athlete-look at Dexter Lawrence.  That is what a DT should look like.  His comp...Foley Fotakasi.  

Quinnen basically ran the 40 fast.  That is it.  That is what got him drafted.  When was the last time a DL ran 40 yards?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Compare Mockdraftable Quinnen and Derrick Brown.  We are delusional to think that Derrick Brown is going top 10.  The only thing athletic Brown has going for him is size. 

if you want to see an athlete-look at Dexter Lawrence.  That is what a DT should look like.  His comp...Foley Fotakasi.  

Quinnen basically ran the 40 fast.  That is it.  That is what got him drafted.  When was the last time a DL ran 40 yards?

I remember Sheldon ran 40 yards chasing someone once.

• Upvote 2

I like Quinnen and I think he'll be a very good player for the Jets.  Moving Leo out of here was a positive for him.  Keeping Steve McClendon is a positive for him.

I have no idea where he'd be drafted this year but I'm confident he'll turn out better than Leo, Sheldon Richardson and DeWayne Robertson....all former 1st Round DTs for the Jets.

He needs a full offseason program (which he's getting), and I think he'll grow into the role he'll have.

With all of that said......we should have taken Josh Allen last year and that move would have helped this team immensely right now.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

Quinnen was the #2 ranked defender in the draft before the combine...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I get it. But he's not. Never will be. He is a carbon copy of Leo.

Not a carbon copy of a player. But definitely a carbon copy of a pick/situation/outcome. 

Leo SMOKED Quinnen when you compare rookie seasons. 

It's amazing to me that people remotely defend Q at all, especially considering how Leo panned out. 

Tired arguments to defend Q were the same people used for Leo, and we see how that went. 

- College production

- DLine rotation/utilization

- Supporting cast 

Meanwhile, actual on field performance virtually ignored. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Who played better last year, Quinnen or Dexter Lawrence?

To be fair to the poster you’re quoting - you said Quinnen got drafted because of the 40. He presented strong evidence to the contrary. Now you’re deflecting. Better to own that you were wrong. Nobody here is saying Quinnen has a good year. But he wasn’t drafted where he was because of the combine.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Quinnen would be rated higher than Brown and be listed as a top 10 maybe top 5 pick.  If an idiot like mac was still in charge he would be picked high.

Pretty much this. If he came out this year he'd be looked at as the best DT in the class and considered a top 5-8 pick.....definitely higher than Brown.

Just goes to show how bad some of the prognostications really are.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RobR said:

Pretty much this. If he came out this year he'd be looked at as the best DT in the class and considered a top 5-8 pick.....definitely higher than Brown.

Just goes to show how bad some of the prognostications really are.

We are going to see teams clue in on this if you ask me this year, Brown will not be top 10.  If you are a team you see Quinnen and realize what non value that player brings relative to a lot of other good players at premium  positions.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

To be fair to the poster you’re quoting - you said Quinnen got drafted because of the 40. He presented strong evidence to the contrary. Now you’re deflecting. Better to own that you were wrong. Nobody here is saying Quinnen has a good year. But he wasn’t drafted where he was because of the combine.

Tbh, I don’t know how these DTs are being evaluated.  Quinnen’s metrics at least on Mockdraftable were decidedly mediocre and much worse than Lawrences.   I think these college DTs get grades on how they played, which we would think is the right way, but I think scheme, team and competition have a huge impact.  

But the takeaways to me are that Quinnen never should have been taken at 6, DTs have always been taken too high, I would love someone to do it again with Brown this year but I don’t know if it happens, and, most importantly, when it comes down to predicting how well a DT translates to the NFL, physical measureables are actually very important.  

First you see if they played well, and then you check the measureables.  Unless you got both, you are not a first round pick.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We are going to see teams clue in on this if you ask me this year, Brown will not be top 10.  If you are a team you see Quinnen and realize what non value that player brings relative to a lot of other good players at premium  positions.

That would suck for us. Brown falling out of top 10 would mean Arizona May go OL. But Murray needs weapons so Jeudy or Lamb would be a perfect fit there. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No arguments here. We talked a bunch about Brown during the college game threads here and most had the same sentiment. He'll be a beast of a run defender but he'll never collapse the pocket with any regularity and blow up plays.

I could easily see him drop because you can get similar production in the 3rd-4th round area.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quinnen would be rated higher than Brown and be listed as a top 10 maybe top 5 pick.  If an idiot like mac was still in charge he would be picked high.

That idiot and just about every other talent evaluator a year ago.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which is why youre on the internet and not in an NFL office

There are a lot of reasons to take people to task about comments but thus one is utterly stupid.

Half the front offices in this league are utter dumbasses, stupider than the average fan when all is said and done.  You would think as a Jet fan you would know this by now.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That idiot and just about every other talent evaluator a year ago.

Who does he play for?  Who did Leo play for?  Who did Darron Lee and hackenburg play for? And polite and on and on and on.  But keep right on defending mcaganan, go down with the ship.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

That wasn’t the question. 365 days ago QW was the next Reggie White 

And apparently Darnold was the next Peyton Manning too, or so I hear.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which is why youre on the internet and not in an NFL office

What is your excuse, then?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are a lot of reasons to take people to task about comments but thus one is utterly stupid.

Half the front offices in this league are utter dumbasses, stupider than the average fan when all is said and done.  You would think as a Jet fan you would know this by now.

All he does is insult people. Brings NOTHING to the table but frothing at the mouth insanity. I think he believes the Front Office staff actually need his protection here or something.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

c'mon.  so he didn't light it up a a rookie.  that doesn't mean he won't this season and beyond.  he's still a young kid and had to get acclimated to playing in the nfl.  there are lots of guys who do light it up their first years and then fall flat for the rest of their careers.

On a scale of 10 his impact was 1. Just putrid. 6th round rookies outplayed him. He’s as big a bust as Gholston.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Patriot Killa is the best screen name on here but Jet Nut  ? describes this guy to a tee. 

• Haha 3