The last 25 Super Bowl champions and their offensive and defensive rankings

I know that we are all wrapped around building our anemic offense with a less-than-desirable leader in charge of it.  In turn, we have a defensive guru that could cause serious disruption with some elite players.  We need to plug in the holes to help this defense be at the top, creating better opportunities to reach the Lombardi.  Please see the article below as a reference. 

• Upvote 1

Needs more words.?

But in a way, yes. I’d include SB losers who didn’t get blown out of the water. At that point it’s just as arguable that it came down to coaching - or maybe even terrible officiating at key moments in the game - more than the winner having an offense-heavy vs. defense-heavy vs. balanced roster.

• Would the Saints even be on this list if not for a surprise onside kick? Maybe, maybe not.
  • Would the Pats have beaten the Seahawks if they didn’t essentially know where that pass play was going, and Bevell ran it in with Lynch like he should have?
  • Does NE win over Atlanta if not for similar coaching idiocy?
  • If the refs called it even, does Pittsburgh still beat Seattle in the rapist’s first SB win?

We know (or think we know) the answers to those questions, and they’re just the first ones that popped into my head. Those SB wins, as opposed to SB losses, weren’t just because the team was more heavily offensive or defensive.

Nor SB winners that barely squeaked by in their championship games for similar reasons that had nothing to do with the team’s primary strength.

• Pittsburgh isn’t even in the SB if Roethlisberger doesn’t make an improbable ankle tackle on a sure TD return, and Jerome Bettis has a totally different reputation and isn’t in the HOF after blowing it vs. the Colts. 
  • Critical botched calls in the last 2 NFC playoffs alone — just thinking of officiating/calls that went against Seattle this past year and New Orleans the year before (and though less blatant, also  this year as well on the uncalled push-off that could have gone either way to determine the winner).

Never mind how many SB teams and SB winners were skewed in the 2000s because of NE’s cheating? We’ll never really know for sure. What about teams that suffered key player injuries that perhaps led to the season ending prematurely in the playoffs, or may have otherwise changed a SB winner outcome?

So with all that, there really isn’t any “more likely to work” formula. None of the above outcomes had to do with core team strength. 

• Upvote 3

nice list but i think the ranking of the losing team needs to be shown as well.  the ting is the superbowl is just one game and lots of things can happen.  it's not like the teams that get there are chopped liver either.  they may have a so-so season record but may also have been blowing out teams in the second half of the season or in the playoffs.  those bills teams that went were pretty darn good and they lost.  the elllway teams were pretty good and they lost.  you don't get to the show multiple years in a row without doing something right. 

So since 2010, every SB champ was in the top 10 in offense except for the 2012 Ravens and 2015 Broncos.  Only 1 of those teams (2015 Broncos) had an offense outside the Top 15.  

Yeah, Offense still wins championships.  Or at the very least, it's incredibly difficult to win a title without a top 10 offense.  The 2015 outlier doesn't change much for me.  Peyton wasn't Peyton physically, but mentally he handled that season perfectly, figuring out ways to win with pre-snap reads and by making just enough plays.  He earned that ring for all the years of dealing with the Pats' cheating.  

That Seattle team that won in 2013 was one of the most balanced I've ever seen.  You had it all on defense.  (although it looks like the offense ranked 9th) But you have a Pro Bowl QB, maybe the best RB at the time and Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin and Jevon Kearse receiving.  Plus the OL anchored by a three time Pro Bowler center.  What more do need?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But in a way, yes. I’d include SB losers who didn’t get blown out of the water.

48 minutes ago, rangerous said:

nice list but i think the ranking of the losing team needs to be shown as well. 

You guys should get on that. 

Hasn't the Patriots formula been... Great D + Tom Brady and a bunch of random dudes on O?

Jury is still out on Darnold but he looks good.  Maybe the formula is to repair the train wreck of an offensive line and then just surround him with good (but not necessarily elite/great/expensive) player makers on O.

We need a solid D and to keep the QB upright.  I think Darnold with average RB, TE, WR could still be really good....if he had time to throw to them.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So since 2010, every SB champ was in the top 10 in offense except for the 2012 Ravens and 2015 Broncos.  Only 1 of those teams (2015 Broncos) had an offense outside the Top 15.  

Yeah, Offense still wins championships.  Or at the very least, it's incredibly difficult to win a title without a top 10 offense.  The 2015 outlier doesn't change much for me.  Peyton wasn't Peyton physically, but mentally he handled that season perfectly, figuring out ways to win with pre-snap reads and by making just enough plays.  He earned that ring for all the years of dealing with the Pats' cheating.  

Eh.  First of all, "except for" two teams is like 20%.  Three of the so-called balanced teams had better defenses than offenses.  At least two Eagles and Ravens were balanced.  I actually think only the Giants and the '14 Pats had better offenses than defense. 

If you would like, I can summon nyjunc to explain how the defense won the Giants that title and if it weren't for Darrell Bevel's brainfart* the true 2014 champions were 1st in D in 10th in O.  OTOH, I guess by that metric the 2016 Falcons were #1 on O and #27 (all hail) on D.

*I believe that he made that call just to avoid consideration for the Jets job and to perplex T0m who had been touting him for half a decade.

• Haha 1