McShays Latest Mock

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

Just to inject a little gloom into this discussion about the great OL in this draft.  I present to you the top of the 2013 draft:

image.png

Notice six (6!) OL taken in the top-11 picks.  Which is insane compared to any other season before or since that I can remember.

The warning here is just how bad this group was.  Joeckel sucked.  Cooper and Warmack were supposed to be "can't-miss" guards.  Both busted.  Fluker was a bust.  Fisher was pretty solid and only Lane Johnson lived up to the pick.  What really shocked me was how bad Cooper and Warmack turned out to be.  Frankly, this was a pretty awful draft class overall.

But the point I make is that these 'core-four' OL at the top of the draft are not interchangable and probably at least half of them will not turn out to be very good.  So if Douglas feels strongly about one or two of them being much better picks, then he should absolutely go up a few slots and get one if need be.  Yeah, we need picks.  Message heard loud and clear.  But we need a great Offensive Line more than we need a second 3rd round pick.  If your choice is Lane Johnson, or DJ Fluker and a 3rd round pick, which way are you leaning?

You made the point in there - the 2013 draft class was pretty brutal. Some of the better picks were the linemen.

17 minutes ago, derp said:

You made the point in there - the 2013 draft class was pretty brutal. Some of the better picks were the linemen.

Of course that is a draft the Jets have 2 first rounders, when the class overall is lackluster.  At least Sheldon Richardson was productive.

47 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

LOL,, why wouldn't you,,,you are always upset about everything!

giphy.gif

Why?  It's pretty obvious.  LT is what we need the most, the 1st round has at least 3 really good LT prospects if not 4 and the WR group is deep.  If we are sitting there deciding between lamb and jeudy we are missing out on the oline.

55 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

*Fixed

1. Jerry Jeudy
  2. Jamison Crowder
  3. Vyncint Smith
  4. Another drafted WR
  5. Josh Doctson
  6. Braxton Berrios

Adding an unknown drafted WR as your #4 WR over RA as the 2 doesn't really fix anything  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Why?  It's pretty obvious.  LT is what we need the most, the 1st round has at least 3 really good LT prospects if not 4 and the WR group is deep.  If we are sitting there deciding between lamb and jeudy we are missing out on the oline.

True. But more often than not the second round guys are better than the so called first round guys. I wouldn't worry if we took WR in the first but I want to get OT OT with the next two picks . Hell I like to get one more in later rounds too.

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's an interesting Mock.  I just read the whole thing.

The first 7 picks include 0 Offensive Tackles.  He then has AZ, JAX and CLE taking 3 straight (Becton, Wirfs and Wills) leaving the Jets with a choice of any WR or Andrew Thomas.  Jeudy and Lamb go back-to-back at 11 and 12.  Thomas doesn't go until.....wait for it......29th!  He has the Titans taking him.

I think we all need to understand what may be happening with Thomas and whether he's really the prospect that he was thought to be prior to his 2019 college season.  He was a consensus Top 5 pick heading into the college season last Summer but by many accounts he's now not even one of the Top 4 OTs.  McShay has OT Josh Jones taken ahead of him at 26 by Miami.  (Read that one again).  Miami at #26 could have taken Andrew Thomas and passed in Todd's mock draft here.

We need more info on Thomas.

Dude you would kill at Mafia

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

RA won't be on the team. That was last year man. I assume we will get another WR but I can't see the Future so no idea what his name will be

The point was we'd be better, the WRs would look better with his name in that #2 spot, that's all.

I'm not so sure that he'll ge gone, he hasn't made a demand or even a comment this offseason about what he wants.  A lot of speculation at this point.  But I do think some team will drive the price up and that may become the end of this

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The point was we'd be better, the WRs would look better with his name in that #2 spot, that's all.

I'm not so sure that he'll ge gone, he hasn't made a demand or even a comment this offseason about what he wants.  A lot of speculation at this point.  But I do think some team will drive the price up and that may become the end of this

Yeah I get what you were trying to say, but thats wrong. Reality is RA does not make us better. Him in the number 2 spot makes us worse because it stops us from getting better.

That why I used the the work "fixed".  Because your stuff was wrong and I fixed it. 

Your welcome.

• Thumb Down 1

23 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If we take a WR at 11, depending on what happens in Free Agency, we need to take OL with 2 of the next 3 picks IMHO, even if we have to reach a bit

Lamb by just a hair of Jeudy for me.... I am thinking FA douglas is going to try to get the OL and a CB cover so he has as much flexibility in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Stark said:

Lamb by just a hair of Jeudy for me.... I am thinking FA douglas is going to try to get the OL and a CB cover so he has as much flexibility in the draft. 

The question for me is there a big enough difference/drop off between Lamb and Juedy to the rest of the Wrs after 11 as opposed to the second tier of OLINE-men? For me it's OLINE at 11 and if they are gone by then I would trade down and gain valuable draft picks. The only way Im taking a Wr at 11 is if their are no takers for a trade down and the OLINE-men available are projected to go in the second round. My opinion is their are far more  NFL ready Wrs in this draft than quality OLINE-men.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, choon328 said:

Vaitai is 26 and can play LT and RT. Im pretty sure Douglas drafted him in Philly. If you wanted to trade up to get the best tackle you'd have to go to 7. 11 to 7 would take your 2nd round pick this year and 2nd round pick next year. No thanks

They could jump the Browns and move to #9 and it'll only take the second 3rd round pick. That's worth it if it comes down to the top three are off the board before the #9 pick because we know the Browns would have grabbed the last top OL.

16 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

The question for me is there a big enough difference/drop off between Lamb and Juedy to the rest of the Wrs after 11 as opposed to the second tier of OLINE-men? For me it's OLINE at 11 and if they are gone by then I would trade down and gain valuable draft picks. The only way Im taking a Wr at 11 is if their are no takers for a trade down and the OLINE-men available are projected to go in the second round. My opinion is their are far more  NFL ready Wrs in this draft than quality OLINE-men.

yeah trading down is something that is always mention, you should have a trade down play, but you can't count on it. 

If the Line are gone and its Lamb or Jeudy I think you take one to those and look to maneuver around if needed after

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

Just to inject a little gloom into this discussion about the great OL in this draft.  I present to you the top of the 2013 draft:

image.png

Notice six (6!) OL taken in the top-11 picks.  Which is insane compared to any other season before or since that I can remember.

The warning here is just how bad this group was.  Joeckel sucked.  Cooper and Warmack were supposed to be "can't-miss" guards.  Both busted.  Fluker was a bust.  Fisher was pretty solid and only Lane Johnson lived up to the pick.  What really shocked me was how bad Cooper and Warmack turned out to be.  Frankly, this was a pretty awful draft class overall.

But the point I make is that these 'core-four' OL at the top of the draft are not interchangable and probably at least half of them will not turn out to be very good.  So if Douglas feels strongly about one or two of them being much better picks, then he should absolutely go up a few slots and get one if need be.  Yeah, we need picks.  Message heard loud and clear.  But we need a great Offensive Line more than we need a second 3rd round pick.  If your choice is Lane Johnson, or DJ Fluker and a 3rd round pick, which way are you leaning?

Who is the 3rd round pick?  Cause Kelce, Mathieu, Terron Armstead, Leveon Bell, Keenan Allen and Larry Warford went in the 2013 3rd.

• Upvote 2

On 3/3/2020 at 7:44 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

If we take Jeudy and don't re-sign Anderson (and assuming Enunwa is done), our Top 6 WRs would be.......

1. Jerry Jeudy
  2. Jamison Crowder
  3. Vyncint Smith
  4. Josh Doctson
  5. Josh Bellamy
  6. Braxton Berrios

That's not going to cut it. Literraly 4/6 of those are JAGs in the purest sense of hte word -- and asking Jeudy to produce WR1 numbers in year 1 is setting him/offense up for failure. 

There needs to be more. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who is the 3rd round pick?  Cause Kelce, Mathieu, Terron Armstead, Leveon Bell, Keenan Allen and Larry Warford went in the 2013 3rd.

Good point, but in fairness, that represents less than 20% of the picks in that round.  So it all comes down to the GM's sense of risk/reward on both sides.  I guess I'm lobbying for us not to automatically assume 'X' is bad and 'Y' is good.  It's never really black and white like that.  Lane Johnson alone might still be worth more to us than DJ Fluker and Larry Warford.  

Hopefully, with a smart GM, a lot of subjective risk-management goes into all of these decisions and ultimately it all comes down to picking good players wherever you pick.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Good point, but in fairness, that represents less than 20% of the picks in that round.  So it all comes down to the GM's sense of risk/reward on both sides.  I guess I'm lobbying for us not to automatically assume 'X' is bad and 'Y' is good.  It's never really black and white like that.  Lane Johnson alone might still be worth more to us than DJ Fluker and Larry Warford.  

Hopefully, with a smart GM, a lot of subjective risk-management goes into all of these decisions and ultimately it all comes down to picking good players wherever you pick.

I agree totally.  My initial thought about that draft was that I thought Warford was going to be a bargain and that Cooper missing showed just how far off base the "draft community" can be.  I think the wild card is fit.  If they think a guy like Josh Jones is a good fit, it makes sense to move down and take him.  It is rarely as simple as "4th best LT" vs. "2nd best WR"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

They could jump the Browns and move to #9 and it'll only take the second 3rd round pick. That's worth it if it comes down to the top three are off the board before the #9 pick because we know the Browns would have grabbed the last top OL.

You could except McShays latest mock has picks 8, 9 & 10 taking tackles.  That's why you would need to at least get to 7