jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Very newsworthy these days.  Why not a thread on this?

snl relax GIF by Saturday Night Live

Also, there will be no shaking of hands in this thread.

China outbreak  graph looks like sigmoid function or s curve, means decent chance contained..  good sign. 

More importantly where is that meme you posted with the other beers wearing the respirator?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

China outbreak  graph looks like sigmoid function or s curve, means decent chance contained..  good sign. 

More importantly where is that meme you posted with the other beers wearing the respirator?

I've got a few... lol

IMG_4845.jpg.0b3fd5cfd01f0d7f347c7cf01f528f36.jpg

• Haha 3

CHINA has about 80K Cases of the Virus Reported

image.thumb.png.3169d43d2545be3a2bb2dd20b7ebd333.png

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've got a few... lol

IMG_4845.jpg.0b3fd5cfd01f0d7f347c7cf01f528f36.jpg

This was in like a liquor store fridgr where every other beer had one on .. pretty sure you posted yesterday 

China cases seem to be leveling off or declining as @CTM stated, a big positive.

The thing that seems hard to assess is the morbidity rate.  It was high coming out of China but that may have been due to a variety of reasons (poor healthcare system, lack of recognition of what they were dealing with at first, an unhealthy population of males who smoke heavily and have higher risk factors related to respiratory function, etc.).

The flu is less than 1% fatal on a macro level.  This COVID-19 is anywhere between 2% and 6% right now.

With 108 US cases and 9 fatalities that's troublesome but could also be due to cases occurring in an elderly care facility.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

China cases seem to be leveling off or declining as @CTM stated, a big positive.

The thing that seems hard to assess is the morbidity rate.  It was high coming out of China but that may have been due to a variety of reasons (poor healthcare system, lack of recognition of what they were dealing with at first, an unhealthy population of males who smoke heavily and have higher risk factors related to respiratory function, etc.).

The flu is less than 1% fatal on a macro level.  This is anywhere between 2% and 6% right now.

With 108 US cases and 9 fatalities that's troublesome but could also be due to cases occurring in an elderly care facility.

Bigger issue is that lots of folks walking around and not getting sick it barely sick and thus not confirmed. I think likely a lot less fatal than 2% is likely 

• Upvote 1

I'm getting checked Thursday.  Some Italians I know say that the reason they have so many cases is cause they swab everybody.  The Lega Nord is anti-immigrant and they test everybody in an attempt to get permission to limit from certain countries.  That's why Lombardy has so many cases.  Well, that and the train station and big airport...

• Upvote 1

I don't trust anything the Chinese government says.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For any of you that are freaking out about this, watch Contagion. It'll make you feel better I promise.

I watched 12 Monkeys about a month ago.  Another good one!

• Upvote 2

How scared are you guys? I work in the automotive industry where we get tons of shipments from China and Korea. Hoping it doesnt live on surfaces longer than a couple hours. ..

12 minutes ago, TNJet said:

How scared are you guys? I work in the automotive industry where we get tons of shipments from China and Korea. Hoping it doesnt live on surfaces longer than a couple hours. ...

Ya might have been safe before you brought in political stuff.

In before the lock.

Edit:  OP edited. 

• Confused 3

Just now, Mike135 said:

Ya might have been safe before you brought in political stuff.

In before the lock.

No no, not getting political just quiting what I've read. 

Trump is a germaphobe, he was all over this, thank god.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Close this sh*t please I come here to escape nonsense like coronavirus hysteria not to get more of it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Close this sh*t please I come here to escape nonsense like coronavirus hysteria not to get more of it. 

I'm just afraid Sam might catch the corona virus...

• Haha 1

Going proper Thanos was the next logical move. 

15 minutes ago, TNJet said:

How scared are you guys? I work in the automotive industry where we get tons of shipments from China and Korea. Hoping it doesnt live on surfaces longer than a couple hours. ..

I wouldnt worry much honestly. The mortality rate is very low right now and it is overwhelmingly affecting the very young and elderly, as most viruses do. 

Personally I think this is a nothingburger that the media loves to jump on. If China wouldnt have bungled the handling of it up front, it would seem far less nefarious to be honest. 

In the same time the virus has supposedly been active, 2-3x the amount of people have died from the normal flu. Avian bird flu was like 50x the mortality rate of COVID-19 in the first few months, but we all made it through that. 

If I were you, I wouldnt worry about getting it from a shipment at all, the virus will die long before it ever reaches your destination. I WOULD worry about shipments stopping all together from the Chinese end though for a short to intermediate time, which would severely affect your buisness. 

• Upvote 3

Crap I just pulled up in front of ShopRite to get disinfectant, cases of water, soup and extra over the counter drugs. 

I also just loaded up the house with beer, vodka, and illegal drugs for myself.

• Upvote 1

I live in Washington state. With the recent deaths, it seems people are freaked out. I was at the store earlier today picking up some stuff and you can’t find a can of Lysol or hand sanitizer anywhere. My wife works with an alcohol distributor and she’s had multiple restaurants cancel their meetings with her because people aren’t coming in.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, nico002 said:

This means a lot coming from the guy that gave Sam mono.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

The US has 157 confirmed cases.

Canada has 33.

Mexico is currently only reporting 5. I trust that number as much as I trust Mike Maccagnan’s talent evaluation skills.

Underreporting and intentionally withholding case data is going to be a big problem. It was a key reason why we eventually saw a surge in Hubei, China.

We should have this topic here, let's avoid politics though. We don't want to ban anybody. But those that want to talk about this should be able to.

• Upvote 1

New Jersey announces first presumptive positive coronavirus case

New Jersey governor Phil Murphy announced the state's first presumptive coronavirus case Wednesday. In a press release, Murphy identified the patient as a man in his 30's who has been hospitalized in Bergen County since March 3. 

The state is awaiting confirmation from the CDC.  

"My administration is working aggressively to keep residents safe and contain the spread of COVID-19 in New Jersey," Murphy said in the release. "We take this situation very seriously and have been preparing for this for weeks."