jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A new CDC analysis of more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 that have occurred in the United States in the last month shows that at least one in seven and perhaps as many as one in five people between the ages of 20 and 44 who contract the virus require hospitalization,

Looking at the raw data, it looks like its only known cases though, if 80% of cases are unknown/asymptomatic like data in China suggested it changes the math drastically for overall pop, essentially 14.3-20.8 hospitalized of 20% of total or 2.9-4.2% of total.. Still not great but 1/5 is a ridiculously big number.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

They're young.  They think they're going to live forever no matter what they do.   Just like we thought.

Fine.  But make them all stay in Florida. Extend spring break! "Mommy and Daddy love you, but stay the f-k away from home."

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We're doomed...

Right after giving these kids COVID-19 tests they should be given IQ tests.  When they show up at the ER with coronavirus in 2 months they need to produce their IQ test at which time it will be determined if they're worth saving and if their futures would contribute to the positive evolution and improvement of mankind.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CTM said:

Looking at the raw data, it looks like its only known cases though, if 80% of cases are unknown/asymptomatic like data in China suggested it changes the math drastically for overall pop, essentially 14.3-20.8 hospitalized of 20% of total or 2.9-4.2% of total.. Still not great but 1/5 is a ridiculously big number.

Agreed.  I also don't know if those younger but critical cases are people with underlying health conditions.  Both China and France (and possibly Italy) are known to still have pretty significant smoker populations which isn't helpful in the face of a respiratory disease.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  I also don't know if those younger but critical cases are people with underlying health conditions.  Both China and France (and possibly Italy) are known to still have pretty significant smoker populations which isn't helpful in the face of a respiratory disease.

Yes, Italians smoke.  I have been gone for almost a decade, but things I have seen...

A guy doing pullups in the Parco Sempione.  He gets to the bottom, hangs from one arm and takes a drag off his smoke.  Puts his arm back up on the bar and continues doing pullups.

A guy getting arrested in Firenze.  The cops have him against the car with both hands on the trunk.  The cop turns around and he pulls one hand off the trunk and takes a drag.

• Haha 4

On 3/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, southparkcpa said:

I am drinking a glass of straight Scotch every night on the rocks ...  no virus can survive that.  Im half serious.  @Warfish would be proud if he didn't say goodbye. :)

If you’re correct about the Scotch, I’m going to be twice as safe as you are.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Someone just called in to Steve Sommers and said Dave Portnoy is showing symptoms... Pizzerias everywhere on high alert!

• Haha 1

Interesting

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/18/what-percentage-have-covid-19-coronavirus-but-do-not-know-it/#7f6e39827e90

This reported 15.5% to 20.2% range for SARS-CoV2 does overlap with the range provided by the second study that will be published as a research letter in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases. A pre-print proof version of the letter is available online. Presumably, there won’t be major changes in this paper once it becomes fully published. This study analyzed data on 565 Japanese nationals who had been evacuated from Wuhan, China. The research team which was primarily from Hokkaido University in Japan found that almost a third (30.8%) of those who had tested positive for SARS-CoV2 remained asymptomatic with a 95% confidence interval of 7.7% to 53.8%. The number is significantly higher but the 95% confidence interval is wider as well.

Remember, asymptomatic means no symptoms. On top of the 15.5% to 20.2% or so who may be asymptomatic, there are others who may have just mild symptoms. In some cases, these symptoms may be barely noticeable depending on the person. As you know, different people have different levels of awareness and tolerance of symptoms. Are you feeling out of sorts because you are mildly ill or because you just watched the movie The Notebook three times in a row?

• Upvote 2

And btw kids will be kids. They're idiots. I was an idiot at that age. 

The local authorities should step in to protect them from themselves (and others). Close the beach, close the bars, tell them to go home. 

Those same kids will look back and regret this and their children will do the same stupid sh*t.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Another genius just called Sommers and said enough with the Corona Virus already!

He said "we're the smartest nation in the country."

• Haha 4

Tenants are beginning to think they don’t have to pay rent because of this craziness! We’re heading down a dark road 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Tenants are beginning to think they don’t have to pay rent because of this craziness! We’re heading down a dark road 

Willson Chandler of The Brooklyn Nets was told to stay our of his building's lobby and all the common ares.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Say a low number that 50% of the US population gets the disease... out of 330 Million... thats 165 Million people... 

And lets say that only 20% only show symptoms = 33 Million

Now we can say that of the 33 Milllion, 3% need hospitalization... Thats 1 Million people that will need to be hospitalized..

Right now the overall is that 50% of the people hospitalized are over 60 years old... 

Thats 500,000 people that are not 'elderly' that will require hospitalization... and mind you these are very low and conservative numbers. 

Its a little scary with my kids especially since there are 3 cases in Dallas right now with 2 teenagers and 1 6-year old that are hospitalized... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thank you, the mass hysteria is making a much worse issue.  Looting and rioting just around the bend.  Overreaction by the public and government is causing bigger problems.

11 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Thank you, the mass hysteria is making a much worse issue.  Looting and rioting just around the bend.  Overreaction by the public and government is causing bigger problems.

The issue is the hospital system is going to get overwhelmed very soon without these measures.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

The issue is the hospital system is going to get overwhelmed very soon without these measures.

If there is no cure then what can Hospitals do?  I saw an article that said 86% of COVID-19 carriers don't even know they have it.  Worst case scenarios are making this worse IMO.  But hey, #$%^ it, lets cut off our nose to spite our face.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

100% correct.

Americans are getting pissed that they have lines of 50 people outside Costco and need to wait an hour for 1 roll of toilet paper.  How do you think it will look when people are dying in hospital lobbies and there's a line of sick people out the door who can't get in because the country is short by about 75,000 ICU beds?

Worst case scenarios aren't fun to consider....but they need to be considered.  Nobody on the planet ever thought we'd see what we saw on 9/11, but it happened.  Still feels like a nightmare that isn't real.  Same thing with Katrina...people dying on the turf of the SuperDome, being rescued off the roofs of their houses by Army helicopters, etc.  Sometimes unimaginably bad things do happen in this world.

If this virus is managed well and we keep the case count down to something like 200,000 with "only" a few thousand people dying then I'll be happy that people say the Government overreacted and everyone panicked over something that didn't turn out to be a huge deal.  That's better than the opposite.

Italy is forced to use warehouses and school gymnasiums because their hospitals are totally overrun right now....

skynews-coronavirus-brescie_4947072.jpg.bcabf58859a398a19ffa05c6849caf6f.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

If there is no cure then what can Hospitals do?  I saw an article that said 86% of COVID-19 carriers don't even know they have it.  Worst case scenarios are making this worse IMO.  But hey, #$%^ it, lets cut off our nose to spite our face.

I wouldn't say home isolation is cutting off our noses. Also would say that saving lives in mass quantities is spiting anything.

Italy is about to pass China in deaths from this. Don't be another Italy.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

cvs.jpg

Dude, we all know that you are Patient 0.  I've seen the sh!t that you drink....either through your mouth or your nose.  You're not fooling anyone, WuhanJetsFan!  :P 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If this virus is managed well and we keep the case count down to something like 200,000 with "only" a few thousand people dying then I'll be happy that people say the Government overreacted and everyone panicked over something that didn't turn out to be a huge deal.  That's better than the opposite.

So hoping for this. People will be like wow what an over reaction. They won't give credit to the extreme measures for saving lives. But that is okay because in this scenario we are all still here. And Darwin never sleeps so most of us will be okay.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

So hoping for this. People will be like wow what an over reaction. They won't give credit to the extreme measures for saving lives. But that is okay because in this scenario we are all still here. And Darwin never sleeps so most of us will be okay.

Exactly.  It's as if some of these morons call their home insurance companies at the end of the year after paying their premiums and complain that their houses didn't burn down!  What a waste of money....I should never pay my insurance bill !!!!

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Dude, we all know that you are Patient 0.  I've seen the sh!t that you drink....either through your mouth or your nose.  You're not fooling anyone, WuhanJetsFan!  :P 

The Coronavirus isn't spreading, its just running away from me.  

I'm more worried about the fiance waking up tomorrow and realizing i ate through 3/4 of our food rations watching Shawshank on Netflix tonight. 

• Upvote 2

China is lying by the way.  Not surprising.  They're not reporting positive tests.

16 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

It's all a guessing game. So far people with A type blood are more 50% likely to get it than O type per UK Daily Mail story last night.

I'm A+, lmfao.

Lmao Lol GIF - Lmao Lol GoodFellas - Discover & Share GIFs

F#$% it.  LOL

For what it’s worth The Daily Mail is as bad as it gets for reliability.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

China is lying by the way.  Not surprising.  They're not reporting positive tests.

I said this yesterday and got criticized for “extreme hostility” even though I’m simply stating a fact. They’ve been suppressing numbers for months. It was obvious the moment it was reported that China was creating makeshift hospitals out of abandoned buildings. Why would they do such a thing if the numbers were as low as they were putting out at the time?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I said this yesterday and got criticized for “extreme hostility” even though I’m simply stating a fact. They’ve been suppressing numbers for months. It was obvious the moment it was reported that China was creating makeshift hospitals out of abandoned buildings. Why would they do such a thing if the numbers were as low as they were putting out at the time?

It was disappointing to see American news outlets repeat the “no new cases in China” headline this morning while knowing that China isn’t a reliable witness at this point. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Its not really different here in the United States.  We are hardly testing anyone.  And even those with symptoms and under self quarantine aren’t even being accurately tracked.