jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was disappointing to see American news outlets repeat the “no new cases in China” headline this morning while knowing that China isn’t a reliable witness at this point. 

The US managing to completely sh*t the bed on this doesn’t undermine the fact that China has been doing the same.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The US managing to completely sh*t the bed on this doesn’t undermine the fact that China has been doing the same.

Well, yeah. I wasn’t saying that was the case. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I know you weren’t. Was just piggybacking off of your post.

• Upvote 1

From a Stony Brook Nurse:
I just wrote this letter to Governor Cuomo, Health and Safty officer Geraldine Stellar, Congressman Zeldin, and Senators Gillibrand and Schumer, (write to your politicians. Advocate for your safety!)

My name is Amy Lee Pacholk, and I work as a nurse at Stony Brook University Hospital. I’m a union steward and received many calls and texts today about PPE and the LACK THERE OF.

The most concerning call came about 30 minutes ago. I just received a call from a very upset nurse whom works in a critical care unit in the new pavilion. There are positive COvid patients whom are intubated on this unit. One of the patients went into ventricular tachycardia, a codeable rhythm. Normally, your staff, nurses and doctors, would come in the room to assist and evaluate, BUT NO ONE COULD COME IN THE ROOM TO HELP!

I’ll repeat that: NO ONE COULD COME IN THE ROOM TO HELP! A normal code requires at least 4-5 people.

WHY?

There was not appropriate PPE available. The only N 95 masks available were being worn by the primary nurse and her orientee. There were NO face shields or protective eye gear available. The nursing office is only releasing N95 masks to the nurse caring for the patient, and no one else. How is this even possible? The nursing office was made aware of this situation and said the nurse had her mask. Thank God that the patient broke out of the rhythm.

Further, the Assosciate Medical Officer was called and said there was nothing he could do. He said that the PPE is unavailable because we do not have any. I have listened to Governor Cuomo for the last several days say that there is equipment in reserve. We need it stat!

Respectfully, we are not soldiers, we are nurses. I chose this profession to help others, not to sacrifice my life for my patient’s.

Please help us,
Amy Lee P.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:58 PM, nycdan said:

A friend of mine who is a doctor has a daughter who is a virologist (PhD candidate).  She told him that there are studies suggesting the anti-malarial compounds chloroquinine and quinine may help fight off this bug. 

There may be some truth to this.  I just read a couple of articles on it.  They've been trying chloroquinine in Italy and other places with some success.  Youneed a prescription for the anti-malaria drug.  It jhas been around for decades but youhave to be very careful with the dosage and combination issuers with other drugs.  But there IS something to this, I believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

you know, they are right.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Thank you, the mass hysteria is making a much worse issue.  Looting and rioting just around the bend.  Overreaction by the public and government is causing bigger problems.

This is Naive... there are perfectly healthy 20-40 year old people catching this and requiring hospitalization... This is not mass hysteria... just ask a local nurse or doctor... 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The b/s that is emanating from the WH and DC is now in piles the size of a small mountain range.  Stop pontificating and chest puffing on TV and get your ass(es) solving this problem.  NOW!

Various industries capable of manufacturing necessary materials for doctors, nurses, EMTs, and other medical professionals should have been organized and given the task weeks if not months ago.  It's not too late to start but you need to do it today, not tomorrow.  

Go look at what Singapore and China have done to turn the numbers around.  Their cities are starting to look, and act, normal again. Yeah, I know our system is different.  But I don't give a s*it.  

GET THE JOB DONE ALREADY UNLESS OUR SOCIETY SPIRALS COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL like Italy or worse.   They were lax in action until the virus overwhelmed their system

• Upvote 2

We are still mired in the same ridiculous situation:  Not enough testing of folks in this country.  And to make it worse (gallows humor comical), this once great nation's leaders can't get their pathetic action together to ramp up production of testing materials. We don't have enough drive-thru testing sites.  But what good would they accomplish anyway if no testing kits/materials are available?  Exactly.

Listening on TV earlier where someone was explaining that China, and other nations, met with executives from heir bio-medical companies with the aim of working exclusively to produce these testing materials.  They banded together and got the job done quickly.  You're telling me America can't do this? In the same segment Sen. Joe Manchin was explaining that people thought his state of WV was free of the virus.  The reason was that they had not tested a single resident of that state.  TESTING IS VITAL RIGHT NOW.  AND IT BEGINS WITH PRODUCING TESTING KITS AND MATERIALS.  Or else this happens:

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP)  South Dakota's public health lab has halted testing for the coronavirus due to a shortage of supplies, Gov. Kristi Noem said Wednesday.

Noem said the lab had been expecting a shipment of supplies earlier this week, but that it was canceled due to a nationwide shortage of enzymes and reagents, which are used for chemical analysis.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-dakota/articles/2020-03-18/south-dakota-halts-covid-19-testing

I think one of our members who works in a Monmouth County hospital posted about this horrific story.  At the time he couldn't disclose details.  This must be it.  It is heart wrenching.

Coronavirus Ravages 7 Members of a Single Family, Killing 3

Tracey Tully

40 mins ago
BB11nTx7.img?h=180&w=180&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Grace Fusco — mother of 11, grandmother of 27 — would sit in the same pew at church each Sunday, surrounded by nearly a dozen members of her sprawling Italian-American family. Sunday dinners drew an even larger crowd to her home in central New Jersey.

a group of people posing for a photo: Grace Fusco, center, and her 11 children in a family photo.© Provided by The New York Times Grace Fusco, center, and her 11 children in a family photo.

Now, her close-knit clan is united anew by unspeakable grief: Mrs. Fusco, 73, died on Wednesday night after contracting the coronavirus — hours after her son died from the virus and five days after her daughter’s death, a relative said.

Four other children who contracted coronavirus remain hospitalized, three of them in critical condition, the relative, Roseann Paradiso Fodera, said.

Mrs. Fusco’s eldest child, Rita Fusco-Jackson, 55, of Freehold, N.J., died Friday; after her death, the family learned she had contracted the virus. Her eldest son, Carmine Fusco, of Bath, Pa., died on Wednesday, said Ms. Paradiso Fodera, the family’s lawyer who is Mrs. Fusco’s cousin and is serving as a spokeswoman.

a person standing in front of a building: Ms. Fusco, with her son, Carmine Fusco, who died on Wednesday after contracting coronavirus. She died hours later.© Provided by The New York Times Ms. Fusco, with her son, Carmine Fusco, who died on Wednesday after contracting coronavirus. She died hours later.

Mrs. Fusco, of Freehold, died after spending Wednesday “gravely ill” and breathing with help from a ventilator, unaware that her two oldest children had died, Ms. Paradiso Fodera said.

Nearly 20 other relatives are quarantined at their homes, praying in isolated solitude, unable to mourn their deep collective loss together.

“If they’re not on a respirator, they’re quarantined,” Ms. Paradiso Fodera said.

“It is so pitiful,” she added. “They can’t even mourn the way you would.”

As of Wednesday afternoon, five New Jersey residents had died after contracting the virus, which has infected at least 427 people statewide. Nationwide, at least 7,047 people across every state, plus Washington, D.C., and three U.S. territories, have tested positive for coronavirus, and at least 121 have died, according to a New York Times database.

But the virus’s devastating toll on a single family is considered as rare as it is perplexing.

“They’re young and they don’t have any underlying conditions,” Ms. Paradiso Fodera said.

Mrs. Fusco and four of her children were being treated at CentraState Medical Center in Freehold, about an hour south of Manhattan, relatives said. Mr. Fusco died at a Pennsylvania hospital near his home, Ms. Paradiso Fodera said.

The family has deep ties to the horse-racing industry near Freehold Raceway. Some trained horses. Others raced them. The children’s father, Vincenzo L. Fusco, did both, according to his obituary.

A person who had contact with a man who died in New Jersey on March 10, becoming the state’s first coronavirus-related fatality, had attended a recent Fusco family gathering, the state’s health commissioner, Judith M. Persichilli, has said.

The first New Jersey man to die has been identified by a close friend and the harness track where he worked, Yonkers Raceway, as John Brennan.

Ms. Paradiso Fodera said the gathering was a routine Tuesday dinner.

“A party to most people was a regular dinner to them,” she said before counting names on a family tree that listed 27 grandchildren.

The gathering is believed to be the source of the virus, and information about the number of people infected there led to a new intensity in Ms. Persichilli’s warnings over the weekend against even small get-togethers with friends or relatives.

“I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to take personal responsibility and to avoid even small gatherings,” Ms. Persichilli said during a press briefing on Sunday.

Dr. James Matera, chief medical officer of CentraState Medical Center, said he had discussed the uniqueness of treating so many members of the same family with the state’s health commissioner and officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

He said officials are in the process of evaluating the patients’ medical histories to look for clues about why the disease might have progressed so rapidly, and been so potent.

“I don’t know if it’s a strain thing,” Dr. Matera said. “I would consider these particular people to be unusual.”

Ms. Fusco-Jackson died a day before her test for coronavirus came back positive on Saturday evening.

Her relatives are urging officials at CentraState or the C.D.C. to conduct an autopsy to learn more about how the virus killed Ms. Fusco-Jackson. She had been in good health, they said, and taught religious education classes at the Roman Catholic church where many members of the large extended family worshiped, St. Robert Bellarmine in Freehold.

Ms. Fusco-Jackson, a mother of three, also sang in the choir, coordinated parish weddings and volunteered in the church’s gardening club, the pastor, Msgr. Sam Sirianni, said.

She had attended a retreat for students preparing for the sacrament of confirmation on Feb. 29, but her contact with participants was minimal, the church said on Facebook.

“I can’t tell you enough about her,” Monsignor Sirianni said on Wednesday in an interview. “She was always willing to assist and to lead.”

The family was among the founding members of the church, he added.

“Until this virus came, they were still the family that would gather for Sunday dinner,” Monsignor Sirianni said. “If grandma was there, everybody came.”

The church has since been deep-cleaned, and Monsignor Sirianni, like all members of the parish staff, is operating under quarantine based on possible exposure.

“It means I turn to the Lord even more,” Monsignor Sirianni said. “What came to mind last week was. ‘Lord save your people.’ And that’s been one of my mantras when I go to pray.”

He said he was struggling to come to terms with being unable to visit the sick at CentraState.

In addition to those who have tested positive for coronavirus at CentraState, a midsize hospital that operates as a nonprofit, 27 community members who have been tested for the virus but are awaiting results are hospitalized under observation, Dr. Matera said on Wednesday.

He said the lengthy turnaround time for test results leaves patients in the dark and burdens the hospital’s limited resources. Patients who might ultimately test negative for coronavirus, and be healthy enough to leave the hospital, are instead being kept in isolation.

If tests were returned more quickly, more patients could be discharged.

“That opens up beds,” Dr. Matera said. “It lowers the anxiety of the staff.”

Ms. Fusco-Jackson’s relatives also believe that speedier test results could have made a difference in her care.

“They didn’t treat her as a confirmed case because everything is so delayed,” Ms. Paradiso Fodera said. “It’s a big bureaucracy. The testing result time is important.”

Susan C. Beachy contributed research.

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The official theme song for 2020

and the official movie clip to go along with the above has to be from Bill Paxton (R.I.P.).

artworks-000415383099-1kf5n4-t500x500.jp

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

FYI.,. Epoch times is the propaganda arm of the Falun Gong, which is the group behind the Shen Yun travelling dance troupe. They have been at odds with the Chinese government for some time and both sides spread misinformation.

This isn't a reputable source. not saying it's wrong, just not trust worthy

Understood the source.  I still consider them about as trustworthy as the CCP.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I know you weren’t. Was just piggybacking off of your post.

I feel like this had potential, really good potential to be a knock out fight. Many of us were like, good this will kill 3 hours today, grab the popcorn.

Instead you were both nice and now there is nothing to see here.

Very disappointing.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I feel like this had potential, really good potential to be a knock out fight. Many of us were like, good this will kill 3 hours today, grab the popcorn.

Very disappointing.

Uhhh Greenwich and I are CPFs sir

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Uhhh Greenwich and I are CPFs sir

Two CT peas in a pod.

So, I have seen many references to making plans of what to do if you contract this deadly disease, COVID-19.  If I get it, my plan is to ask the make a wish foundation to let me have a meet and greet with Adam Gase.

I say go out a winner, the greater good.

• Haha 1

Lost among the much more serious aspects of this crisis is that Carvel's Free Flying Saucer Day on Thursday 3/26 was cancelled. 

Obviously an unimportant point but, darn it, was good for a bunch of free FS's on the day's Carvel tour. Only one per guest but a lot of local stores nearby.  

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Lost among the much more serious aspects of this crisis is that Carvel's Free Flying Saucer Day on Thursday 3/26 was cancelled. 

Obviously an unimportant point but, darn it, was good for a bunch of free FS's on the day's Carvel tour. Only one per guest but a lot of local stores nearby.  

All this Covid-19 worry made me forget to get my cookie-o'puss

cookieopuss.png?v=1&d=20180402T174834Z

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Italy’s deaths have overtaken China’s. Crazy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Italy’s deaths have overtaken China’s. Crazy.

We don't know what is going on in China.  Western journalists have been booted out and there are many reports they are lying like crazy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Very disappointing.

Even as we socially distance ourselves, COVID-19 is bringing people together.  Electronically.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've had friends saying they wanted to hear of "just one case" where a younger person with no underlying conditions gets killed from COVID before they worried.

I guess its time for them to get concerned....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Italy and Iran paying the price of economic reliance on China.

Excellent article, more so from the economics side than from the Corona Virus spread.  Especially infuriating is the 8 round-trip flights by the Iranian National Guard to and from China.  

The WSJ reported that Mahan Air “had carried out eight flights between Tehran and China between Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 to transfer Chinese and Iranian passengers to their respective home countries.” This explains why so many high-level Iranian officials are infected by the coronavirus, including First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri and more than 20 lawmakers. 

full article:

Iran And Italy Are Paying A Hefty Price For Close Ties With Communist China

Iran and Italy's economies are worsening, and their people are suffering most in this Wuhan virus outbreak — all because of their leaders’ short-sighted and foolish decisions.

Helen Raleigh
By Helen Raleigh
MARCH 17, 2020

The coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, has now swept through 126 countries, infected close to 170,000 people worldwide, and is responsible for more than 6,400 deaths as of March 15. China is leading the world in the number of confirmed cases and deaths. What many people find shocking is that Italy and Iran are the second- and third-hardest hit nations in this outbreak.

By any common-sense measure, both countries should have much lower numbers of confirmed cases and deaths because they are geographically far from the epicenter of the outbreak. The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative.

OBOR is Beijing’s foreign policy play disguised as infrastructure investment. Here’s how it works: China and country X agree to do an infrastructure project in country X. Country X has to borrow from a Chinese bank to finance the project. A contract is always awarded to Chinese companies, which then bring supplies and Chinese employees to country X to build the project. Clearly, the country that benefits most from this initiative is China.

The OBOR provides new markets and consistent demand for China’s goods and services, creates employment opportunities for Chinese workers, and gives China access to strategically important locations and natural resources. Beijing’s real objective is to leverage its newly gained financial power to greatly expand its geopolitical influence as well as its economic and military footing from Asia to Europe and Africa.

While this initiative has worked out well for China’s strategic interests, it hasn’t done the same for participating countries. At least eight countries that signed on the OBOR initiative are so indebted to the Chinese that they had to hand over their strategic assets to China to offset their debt. Despite these worrisome precedents, leaders in both Italy and Iran eagerly signed up to OBOR in 2019, hoping the red capital from Communist China would rescue their nations from economic woes. Now they are paying a dear price for it.

What Has Happened in Italy

Italy’s economy has been struggling for two decades. It has seen three recessions in 10 years. Its unemployment rate stood at 10.3 percent, and its youth unemployment rate was 33 percent as of 2018. According to Marco Annunziata of Forbes, the living standards in Italy today are roughly the same as they were 20 years ago because very little growth has occurred.

Italy’s economic woes are caused by aging industries, ruinous regulations (especially its overly rigid labor laws), an inefficient banking system, high levels of corruption, and constant political turmoil. From 1946 to 2016, Italy had 65 governments. No matter who was in charge, he lacked resolve to implement serious structural reform and deregulation to boost the economy.

Instead, every one of the 65 governments hoped they could spend their way out of an economic mess. Italy’s debt burden as a percentage of annual economic activity measured by GDP is at 132 percent as of 2018, the second highest in the EU, only slightly better than Greece.

The most recent political upheaval in Italy took place in May 2018. Weeks after an election, the anti-establishment groups and pro-EU lawmakers failed to produce a new coalition government. The final compromise resulted in a virtually unknown law professor, Giuseppe Conte, becoming the new prime minister.

Like his predecessors, Conte has been unwilling to implement any structural reform. Instead, he sought an “easy” way out. Almost exactly a year ago in March 2019, against warnings from the EU and the United States, Italy became the first and only G7 country to sign onto OBOR. As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. The deal gave communist China a foothold in the heart of Europe, but Conte downplayed it as “no big deal at all.”

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country. As of March 14, Italy reported 24,747 cases and 1,809 deaths. Now the entire country is in lockdown until at least April 3. Its economy is expected to contract 7.5 percent in the first quarter, opposite what Conte had hoped.

What Has Happened in Iran

Iran faces some of the worst economic and political challenges it has in decades. The Trump administration re-imposed economic sanctions in 2018, which has worsened an already crumbling economy. In 2019, Iran’s inflation rate was 40 percent. The regime had to introduce a ration to limit meat consumption last year. Its currency, the rial, has lost 70 percent of its value to U.S. dollars. The overall unemployment rate was 15 percent but between 40 and 50 percent among young people.

Fed up with economic hardship, Iranians took to the streets in late 2017 to 2018 and then again between 2019 and early 2020. Initially, they protested to voice economic grievances about government corruption, but the protests quickly shifted to demands for fundamental political reform. They rejected their government’s policy of supporting terrorists in countries like Syria while ignoring economic hardship at home, and called both for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to step down and for “death to the Revolutionary Guards,” a powerful military force loyal to him.

The Iranian government responded to these protests with an iron fist. In 2019 alone, the Iranian government reportedly killed more than 1,000 protesters, arrested thousands more, and shut down internet nationwide for six days to block news of the crackdown from being shared domestically and internationally.

Facing domestic economic and political challenges and international isolation, Iran has sought out China as an ally against the United States, relying on economic ties and military cooperation with Beijing to fend off U.S.-imposed sanctions. China has been keeping the Iranian regime afloat by purchasing Iranian oil, selling the Iranian regime weapons, and transferring nuclear technologies.

But 2019 was the year Iran officially signed up to OBOR. China sees Iran as a crucial player to this initiative because Iran is not only rich in oil but also lies in a direct path of an ambitious 2,000-mile railroad China wants to build, which will run from western China through Tehran and Turkey into Europe.

Today, Iranian health officials trace the country’s coronavirus outbreak to Qom, a city of a million people. According to the Wall Street Journal, “China Railway Engineering Corp. is building a $2.7 billion high-speed rail line through Qom. Chinese technicians have been helping refurbish a nuclear-power plant nearby.” Iranian medical professionals suspect either Chinese workers in Qom or an Iranian businessman who travelled to China from Qom caused the spread of the coronavirus in Qom.

But religious leaders and the Iranian government were slow to take action. Religious leaders in Qom refused to cancel Friday prayers until the end of February, which allowed infected pilgrims to quickly spread the virus to other parts of the nation. Although on Feb. 1 the Iranian government banned its airlines from flying to China, it made an exception for Mahan Air, an unofficial airline for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The WSJ reported that Mahan Air “had carried out eight flights between Tehran and China between Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 to transfer Chinese and Iranian passengers to their respective home countries.” This explains why so many high-level Iranian officials are infected by the coronavirus, including First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri and more than 20 lawmakers. Mohammad Mirmohammadi, an adviser to Khamenei, was the most senior Iranian official who died of the coronavirus as of today.

Iran is now the third-worst hit country in the coronavirus pandemic, with close to 14,000 cases and 724 deaths. Given the secretive nature of the regime, many suspect the actual numbers of cases and deaths are much higher. Ilan Berman, vice president of the American Foreign Policy Council, says, “Coronavirus has exacted an even higher political toll on the regime, because it has exposed the country’s ruling clerical elite as incompetent and out-of-touch.” He predicts the coronavirus may accomplish what years of actions by the West have failed to achieve: the collapse of Iran’s clerical authoritarian regime.

Italy and Iran have very different social, economic, and political systems. Yet both nations share something in common: Their leaders refused to implement economic and political reforms in their nations. Instead, they sought close ties with communist China in recent years, selling out their countries and their people’s interests, hoping Beijing’s red capital would rescue their failing economies. Now their economies are worsening and their people are suffering most in this outbreak — all because of these leaders’ short-sighted and foolish decisions.

Helen Raleigh is a senior contributor to The Federalist. An immigrant from China, she is the owner of Red Meadow Advisors, LLC, and an immigration policy fellow at the Centennial Institute in Colorado. She is the author of several books, including "Confucius Never Said" and "The Broken Welcome Mat." Follow Helen on Twitter @HRaleighspeaks, or check out her website: helenraleighspeaks.com.
  • Like 1

Anyone else in NYC applying for unemployment? 

I went to the labor.ny.gov site and tried to create an account but the page won't process.

I then call their 800 number and of course I get the "due to the high number of calls, all of our representatives are busy, please call back later" line. 

This isn't looking good. 

Just read this article and thought I'd share.  Did not know that nearly 50% of people with COVID-19 first present with digestive issues.  Below is a portion of the piece.

The new study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology looked at data from 204 patients with COVID-19 in China’s Hubei province. Researchers found that 48.5% of these patients arrived at the hospital with digestive symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. The study suggested digestive symptoms may present before the respiratory symptoms of COVID-19. Those with digestive symptoms included in this study also had a more severe course of illness.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/study-suggests-digestive-issues-first-212548290.html

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just read this article and thought I'd share.  Did not know that nearly 50% of people with COVID-19 first present with digestive issues.  Below is a portion of the piece.

The new study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology looked at data from 204 patients with COVID-19 in China’s Hubei province. Researchers found that 48.5% of these patients arrived at the hospital with digestive symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. The study suggested digestive symptoms may present before the respiratory symptoms of COVID-19. Those with digestive symptoms included in this study also had a more severe course of illness.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/study-suggests-digestive-issues-first-212548290.html

No wonder all the toilet paper is gone....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

ffs lol

the amount of conflicting information from disparate sources here is a pia, i just read 2 days ago that gastro is rare symptom .. 

1/2 the data being used is based on people already at hospital versus those who have the illness, the research above would be better summarized as nearly 50% of people sick enough to go to hospital, not nearly 50% of cases

• Like 1

@CTM

A team of researchers unveiled the results of a new study last week that looked at how temperature and humidity may affect the transmission of COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus.

According to the researchers' findings, “High temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19.” An increase of just one degree Celsius and 1% relative humidity increase substantially lower the virus’s transmission, according to the data analyzed by the researchers.

The study is the latest in a limited but growing body of research, not all of which has been peer-reviewed, that examines the effect of weather on the spread of the SARS-Cov-2 virus, which causes the COVID-19 illness.

AP_20078581391918.jpg?w=632

Chinese passengers check mobile phones at the airport in Frankfurt, Germany, Wednesday, March 18, 2020. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

The researchers studied 100 different Chinese cities that each had more than 40 cases of COVID-19 from Jan. 21 to 23. According to AccuWeather Senior Weather Editor and Meteorologist Jesse Ferrell, the decision to study transmission on those dates was critical because that time period was before China intervened on Jan. 24 to stop the spread of the virus. Analyzing that timeframe allowed researchers to observe the natural spread of the virus before public health measures, which have since helped reduce the spread drastically in China, were implemented.

That step was one of several sound methods taken by authors Jingyuan Wang, Kai Feng, Weifeng Lv of Beihang University, and Ke Tang from Tsinghua University, according to Ferrell. He also commended the authors’ accounting for GDP per capita, which normalized the differences in health care facilities, and the normalizations for population density.

The paper showed that the direct impacts of air temperatures and humidity levels could be seen plainly in the severity of outbreaks during the earlier stages of the virus spread.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FREE ACCUWEATHER APP

“In the early dates of the outbreaks, countries with relatively lower air temperature and lower humidity (e.g. Korea, Japan and Iran) saw severe outbreaks than warmer and more humid countries (e.g. Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand) do," the researchers wrote.

"Considering the natural log of the average number of cases per day from February 8 to 29 as a rough measure of the severity of the COVID-19 outbreaks," the researchers continued, "we show that the severity is negatively related to temperature and relative humidity using 14 countries with more than 20 new cases during this period."

Using the value R to represent the transmission, the paper also found that cities in northern China, where temperatures and relative humidity were lower, had larger transmission values than cities along the country's southeast coast.

Figure 3

The scientists' findings align with what some experts have suspected about weather's impact, including Hong Kong University pathology professor John Nicholls, who told AccuWeather that research on a lab-grown copy of SARS-CoV-2, "in cold environments, there is longer virus survival than warm ones."

Other infectious disease experts have voiced skepticism that warmer weather will help curb the spread of COVID-19. Marc Lipsitch, a professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said earlier this month that warm weather will "probably not" slow down the spread, at least not significantly.

When contacted by AccuWeather this week, Lipsitch said in an email that he had nothing to add to his earlier analysis.

In applying the paper's findings to the forecast temperatures and humidity, the authors concluded that the arrival of summer and rainy seasons in the Northern Hemisphere can "effectively reduce the transmission of COVID-19," while the risk for the continued spread of the illness will remain in some countries in the Southern Hemisphere.

The authors even added that normal summer temperatures and relative humidity in Tokyo suggest that the transmission would be significantly reduced in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics, currently scheduled to be kick off on July 24. According to their findings, by July, Tokyo's "estimated R value decreases from 1.914 to 0.992, a 48% drop!" The International Olympic Committee, even as the crisis has escalated in recent days, remained steadfast this week that the games will go on as planned this summer.

AP_20073180257263.jpg?w=632

A woman walks past a large display promoting the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, Friday, March 13, 2020. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Some experts are also pointing to the increased amount of UV rays from the sun the Northern Hemisphere will be subject to this time of year as a factor that could slow the virus.

"The sun angle changes significantly from the equinox to the solstice," AccuWeather meteorologist and Astronomy blogger Dave Samuhel explained. "That means a significant additional amount of solar radiation, or insolation, reaches the ground."

UV light has been proven to kill other strains from the coronavirus family, like SARS and MERS, but there isn't research yet showing the same is true for SARS-CoV-2.

Ferrell pointed out one key weakness in the study, which is the authors used temperature and relative humidity from 2019. Typically, meteorologists will use a broader data range, such as the 30-year normals. But Ferrell said in this case, a long-range weather forecast could be even more helpful than historical data.

AccuWeather Long-Range Forecast

Temperatures across much of the continental U.S. from March to May will be higher in 2020, AccuWeather meteorologists predict.

Projected temperature increases over the next few months are expected to align favorably for U.S. residents if the findings of the published paper prove true. With much of the U.S. forecast to see higher-than-normal temperatures in March and April, according to AccuWeather meteorologists, there is a chance that the virus could eventually "burn itself out," as Nicholls first suggested during a private conference call in early February.

"Although it will also, of course, depend on other factors like each country's place on 'the curve' of cases and the success of their response, Ferrell said, adding that an outbreak "could also re-emerge in the fall, as past epidemics have."

"The good news would seem to be: At least the weather is not working against us for a few months," Ferrell said.

If such temperature increases do occur, the paper's R value findings suggest that the U.S. will see a far lower transmission rate by the summer than the country is currently seeing in March. Early in March, the number of U.S. confirmed cases tallied in the dozens. By March 18, thanks to a notable increase in testing, that number had soared past 7,300.

Figure 4

However, as the papers' authors, Nicholls, Ferrell, and a host of other health experts have noted, there are many factors that could influence the transmission of COVID-19, including public health policies, like social distancing, that have been enforced and the population's ability to carry those methods out. Even the virus' propensity for surviving on surfaces could be a complicating factor.

While the weather may not be the ultimate factor in how devastating the pandemic becomes, researchers may now have a new tool to use in piecing together the puzzle.

"The transmission of viruses can be affected by a number of factors, including climate conditions (such as temperature and humidity), population density and medical care quality," the researchers said. "Therefore, understanding the relationship between weather and the transmission of COVID-19 is key to forecast the intensity and end time of this epidemic."

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

What Aggravates me is that there are some people that I know or chat with on other boards does not Blame China.  I Just Don't get that !!   Everything to them,  is about the President.  Man the hate is incredible.  What I do know,  this is all China's fault and there is much blood in their hands. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

So, I have seen many references to making plans of what to do if you contract this deadly disease, COVID-19.  If I get it, my plan is to ask the make a wish foundation to let me have a meet and greet with Adam Gase.

I say go out a winner, the greater good.

CA MAN DIES AT 34Recently Visited Disney World In FL

3/19/2020 11:25 AM PT

EXCLUSIVE

A 34-year-old man has died in California after testing positive of coronavirus just days ago, and 2 weeks after visiting Walt Disney World and Universal Studios in Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Jeffrey Ghazarian from Glendora, CA, died Thursday morning at a Pasadena hospital after spending 5 days hooked up to a ventilator and battling for his life ... according to his family.

His sister says ... "He suffered a lot and put up a good fight. We will miss our Jeff everyday but we are thankful for all the fun happy memories of the times we had together."

Jeff's timeline regarding his COVID-19 infection is terrifying and should be eye-opening for people of all ages. According to his family, he flew from L.A. to Orlando on March 2 for a work conference, but stayed a few extra days to visit Disney World and Universal theme parks with friends.

Getty

We're told on March 7 he developed a cough, and the next day he coughed up blood. He flew back to LAX on March 9 ... and immediately went to the ER, where he also had a high fever.

The family says a chest x-ray confirmed Jeff had pneumonia, and he was tested for COVID-19 and sent home with fluids and antibiotics and instructed to self-quarantine until he got the results back.

We're told the results came back positive on March 13, and Jeff was provided a portable oxygen meter to keep an eye on his levels ... which took a turn for the worse that afternoon.

On March 14 he was taken by ambulance to the hospital and quickly transferred to the ICU when it was discovered his lungs were 60-70 percent blocked with pneumonia. Doctors decided the best path forward was to sedate and intubate, hoping a ventilator would help his lungs heal.

Sadly -- and despite the family claiming he was approved for antiviral meds -- he took a turn for the worse and never got the medication in time ... and passed away Thursday morning.

It appears Jeffrey was an at-risk patient. He had a history of asthma and frequent bronchitis as a child, though he outgrew that. He also had beat testicular cancer back in 2016.

The CDC now says young people can also be at grave risk ... and this underscores the danger.

He was 34.

RIP

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/19/34-year-old-california-man-dies-coronavirus-visited-disney-world-florida/

Its not just Old People

• Confused 1