jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-says-tesla-factories-will-make-ventilators-coronavirus-shortage-2020-3

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, said on Twitter that his factories would be repurposed to produce ventilators if there were a shortage brought on by the coronavirus outbreak. 

Musk made the pledge in response to a tweet Wednesday evening.

"Please repurpose your factory to make ventilators which are needed ASAP," the user Raja Abbas wrote. "I am a Tesla owner and love the company. You have to stop being an idiot about this. This is a massive disaster. Ask the doctors in the field."

"We will make ventilators if there is a shortage," Musk responded.

FiveThirtyEight's editor-in-chief, Nate Silver, challenged Musk on his claim in another tweet, saying: "There's a shortage now, how many ventilators you making @elonmusk?" 

Come on, Elon... do it now. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

We don't know what is going on in China.  Western journalists have been booted out and there are many reports they are lying like crazy.

Yeah, Russia only reporting one death. sure

• Upvote 1

Another country that we are surprisingly hearing very little from is India. As a culture, they are very comfortable with full body contact while standing in line and being jammed (and I mean jammed) together in markets and on trains. You would think it would or already has spread like wildfire there. Anyone hear or know anything?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Looks like my wife and I will finally be tested tomorrow.

103 year old Irani woman had it and recovered.  Hope you test negative for it.

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Looks like my wife and I will finally be tested tomorrow.

Good luck.  We have somebody on the main board who just started a thread saying he tested positive.

• Upvote 1

I'm certainly not trying to minimize anything but I found this interesting:

According to Bloomberg, there are currently 9,827 deaths worldwide so far from Coronavirus.  By way of comparison, there were 1.6 million deaths worldwide from tuberculosis in 2017.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-wuhan-novel-coronavirus-outbreak/image.png.7121105dcfc744a77d88e205d77b3aa8.png

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6811a3.htm

image.thumb.png.1d24d6ec8282fd0f877aa87570ba9f54.png

There's a vaccine for TB. 

I'd like to see how many of the deaths from TB are HIV related or from unvaccinated people. 

After that we can compare better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

California going on lock down

The rest of us aren't far behind.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Another country that we are surprisingly hearing very little from is India. As a culture, they are very comfortable with full body contact while standing in line and being jammed (and I mean jammed) together in markets and on trains. You would think it would or already has spread like wildfire there. Anyone hear or know anything?

I know someone there, they are doing a test run of the stay at home thing on Sunday 3/22.  From 7am - 9pm they told everyone to stay home, church services moved to Saturday.

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I've been talking about and watching India for a while.  I have a friend whose wife is Indian, they got married there, and his brother-in-law is a doctor in India.  I've been surprised and have been questioning why case volumes have been so low....Are they truly low?  Is testing being done well?  Did the stop it mostly at the border and have they contained any infectious people with contact-tracing, etc.?

What my friend has told me is that it's a little of everything above, but that he also hears the weather there could be a factor.  It's been 80+ degrees with reasonably high humidity.  That is starting to look like a factor.

Today's weather...

838432785_ScreenShot2020-03-19at10_44_22PM.png.ae7f766d4c4438bf357258f2ccf9aca6.png

• Upvote 2

The idea that young people will almost all be asymptomatic is dangerous to propagate.  It's making young people feel invincible.

Many will feel the effects of this disease.

Even worse, many will end up hospitalized from it.

781471788_ScreenShot2020-03-19at10_38_51PM.png.6b326a6dac18afd436b6d98d154e23bc.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The idea that young people will almost all be asymptomatic is dangerous to propagate.  It's making young people feel invincible.

781471788_ScreenShot2020-03-19at10_38_51PM.png.6b326a6dac18afd436b6d98d154e23bc.png

That's meaningless without knowing a lot more information. Its 100 people out of how many and are there underlying health issues 

Are they promoting this without context to scare / manipulate young people into staying inside and if so is it a good thing

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTM said:

That's meaningless without knowing a lot more information. Its 100 people out of how many and are there underlying health issues 

Are they promoting this without context to scare / manipulate young people into staying inside and if so is it a good thing

There are major news networks that are absolutely butchering ideas behind small sample sizes and carelessly running with them. 

The idea that some news agencies are now screaming about the sudden explosion in positive cases is stupefying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are major news networks that are absolutely butchering ideas behind small sample sizes and carelessly running with them. 

The idea that some news agencies are now screaming about the sudden explosion in positive cases is stupefying. 

Lol.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I watched that spring break video from Florida with this selfish idiots and I found myself yelling at my own two sons. “ if you guys ever!” Kinda thing. Luckily at 22 and 24 they embrace my mental illness and realize it’s just one big compliment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

New Jersey has a state wide 211 emergency number (per article below)

Not all symptoms are respiratory.  GI symptoms as well for some.  Westfield 38 year old father below was refused testing initially due to lack of respiratory symptoms but later tested positive.  

Westfield Man With Coronavirus: I Had To Beg To Even Get Tested

Caren Lissner

4 hrs ago

WESTFIELD — As the town of Westfield announced this week that they have had four positive cases of the new coronavirus (COVID-19), Mayor Shelley Brindle shared a story from one of those residents, a 38-year-old dad, so that others can learn from his story and his symptoms.

A 38-year-old dad in Westfield says it took days for him to get a coronavirus test. He tested positive although he didn't have alll the symptoms. Pictured: Westfield Town Hall.

On Wednesday, Brindle posted the resident's story on Facebook. In a nutshell: the man got sick but didn't have all the symptoms of the virus. Still he was worried because he had an immunocompromised son.

After four days of trying, he was finally tested, and then it took him days to get his positive test result.

Mayor Brindle wrote on Facebook, before sharing the man's story: "I’m copying the following post from a friend and Westfield resident who is openly sharing his story so that we all know the signs of COVID-19. Please practice social distancing so that we can #flattenthecurve. The virus is much more prevalent in our community then what the limiting testing indicates, so we should all behave like it’s everywhere. Stay well everyone."

The resident's story:

In the interest of public health, I would like to share that I have tested positive for Covid-19. I first felt ill on 3/10. My first symptoms included fatigue, chills, and some aches. The next day was worse. I had a fever, dizziness, lots more chills, and a slight cough/runny nose. I went to the doctor.

I asked to have a mask during my visit. The receptionist said that wasn’t necessary.

My doctor gave me a flu test, which, obviously, was negative. She thought that I had some run-of-the-mill virus. On Thursday night, I began having diarrhea (but no stomach aches). I actually took that as a sign that I did not have Covid-19 because I was under the mistaken belief that GI symptoms are not associated with the virus.

On Friday, my doctor’s office advised me to go to CityMD in Clark, NJ, to get tested. However, the on-call doctor at CityMD said he wouldn't administer a test because my lungs sounded fine, I was under 60, and I hadn’t been exposed to someone with a positive test.

I argued that I have a child with a suppressed immune system. That made no difference.

On Saturday night, I was informed that a significant proportion of Covid-19 patients do, in fact, present with GI problems and do not necessarily show any respiratory issues.

With this new information, I contacted Mayor Brindle, who got back to me immediately. But even she couldn’t arrange for a test (and this is the woman who launched HBO GO, mind you).

I only managed to get tested on Monday and get the results back tonight by using our connections.

In other words, I could easily have fallen through the giant cracks in our pathetic excuse for a testing regime. And, at that point, I would never have been able to alert my family, friends, students, and coworkers about my positive test.

So where does that leave me? My symptoms have stabilized into a predictable daily pattern: I have a slight fever in the morning, along with fatigue, problems regulating my body temperature, and a cough. My fever then spikes between 100 and 101 during the evenings. I also have diarrhea. My breathing is fine. I do not have any shortness of breath.

The takeaway? I am 38-years-old and in otherwise fine health. I had never missed a day of work from sickness before last Thursday. I have no clue how I got Covid-19. But it comes with a variety of symptoms, even though we’re only focusing on the pulmonary ones. So be alert. 
After Brindle posted the story, residents reacted.

"Thank you for sharing and yes NO one will test unless you can’t breathe and are hospitalized!" wrote a woman. "It’s a joke we have been trying to get a test for one in our house!! This is why the spread will continue because if you don’t know you have it and run to get groceries bam."

Another woman wrote, "Thank you for sharing the article. My daughter-in-law right now has some aches and a low-grade fever. Keeping my fingers crossed that it isn’t a virus because we cannot go up and take care of my 16-month-old grandson."

In Westfield so far, according to Brindle's Facebook posts, the other residents who tested positive are "all males, ages 59, 44, and 40 (this resident has also asked to self-report as handsome in his public description). Each of these residents is in stable condition and managing symptoms at home."

Because of a shortage of tests, officials believe the number of reported cases will rise drastically in the future.

As of Thursday, ten people had died from the virus in New Jersey, including four in one family based in Freehold. A total of 742 residents were reported as having the virus.

Brindle said that for residents who want to be tested, "Beginning Friday, March 20, a COVID-19 community-based testing site will be open at Bergen Community College in Paramus. To be eligible for testing, individuals must be current NJ residents who are experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness. Priority will be given to symptomatic individuals experiencing cough, fever (99.6F or above), and shortness of breath. This drive-thru testing center will be open seven days per week, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Testing is free and will be covered by the federal government or personal insurance companies. Individuals are encouraged to bring insurance cards if they have one."

She noted, in a newsletter, "NJ 211 has been activated to help handle COVID-19 related calls from New Jersey residents. All residents with questions or concerns about COVID-19 and resources available to them can call 2-1-1. NJ 211 is New Jersey’s statewide, comprehensive, information and referral service operated by United Ways of New Jersey. Residents can also text NJCOVID to 898-211 to receive text information and stay informed. To receive live text assistance, residents can text their zip code to 898-211."

I would be curious, for those that are under 40 and experiencing respiratory problems, what percentage were vapers? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would be curious, for those that are under 40 and experiencing respiratory problems, what percentage were vapers? 

I dunno, let's find one, write an article saying vapping is closely related to COVID deaths and put it on blast 

In all seriousness, good thought

• Haha 1

Check out the story below.  Make sure to read through paragraph 10 (just below the picture).  

20-year-old coronavirus victim was told ‘no need to worry’ by doctors

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/20-year-old-coronavirus-victim-was-told-no-need-to-worry-by-doctors/

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been talking about and watching India for a while.  I have a friend whose wife is Indian, they got married there, and his brother-in-law is a doctor in India.  I've been surprised and have been questioning why case volumes have been so low....Are they truly low?  Is testing being done well?  Did the stop it mostly at the border and have they contained any infectious people with contact-tracing, etc.?

What my friend has told me is that it's a little of everything above, but that he also hears the weather there could be a factor.  It's been 80+ degrees with reasonably high humidity.  That is starting to look like a factor.

Today's weather...

838432785_ScreenShot2020-03-19at10_44_22PM.png.ae7f766d4c4438bf357258f2ccf9aca6.png

Being of Indian descent and still having close relatives living in various parts of northwest and south India, I can tell you that (1) they are taking it very seriously over there, and (2) the govt response to this - both initially and throughout, is something we could have only hoped for over here. 

In at least the 3 metropolitan cities and one growing city which my family live and work (Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Vadodara) - they acted swiftly closing down shops and limiting street carts and asking people to find a way to not use public transportation to work. They implemented city-wide soft curfews early on (with rumors that they could become hard curfews as early as next week). They ramped up govt support to hospitals and pharmacies weeks ago.

With so many people and so many diseases and so much poverty, it's almost impossible to truly gauge the magnitude of one specific strain of virus, and I don't believe that there will truly be a way to aggregate numbers without a significant margin for error, but at least from what we're hearing, the majority of the younger people in the cities are actually being cautious over there. 

My cousin is 1 of only 4 cardiologists in all of India who specialize in whatever they specialize in, and because of that, he's tapped in to hospitals and practices all over the world, and he's pretty surprised at how well India is coping with this given the close proximity to China. He does firmly believe that heat, humidity, and (get this) the thick, dense pollution in major cities - are all playing a factor in limiting the spread there. Now - take that for what it is because again, he's only dealing with big cities and most of them are on the other coast of India away from China. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Check out the story below.  Make sure to read through paragraph 10 (just below the picture).  

20-year-old coronavirus victim was told ‘no need to worry’ by doctors

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/20-year-old-coronavirus-victim-was-told-no-need-to-worry-by-doctors/

Medical mistakes are the third leading killer in this country I believe.

And yeah, I assume leukemia, a disease known to ravage immune system, doesnt qualify as underlying health issue?

Tragic, and I get what the media is trying to do but it also undermines trust in them even more. 

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Medical mistakes are the third leading killer in this country I believe.

And yeah, I assume leukemia, a disease known to ravage immune system, doesnt qualify as underlying health issue?

Tragic, and I get what the media is trying to do but it also undermines trust in them even more. 

What is the media trying to do though?  I feel like they're trying to scare the public with that headline (young people are dying from this too!!!) but the truth is they're just being manipulative.  Shouldn't they just report the facts of the case?  I fully agree with the last part of your statement that it undermines trust in them.  I have very little trust in the media.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What is the media trying to do though?  I feel like they're trying to scare the public with that headline (young people are dying from this too!!!) but the truth is they're just being manipulative.  Shouldn't they just report the facts of the case?  I fully agree with the last part of your statement that it undermines trust in them.  I have very little trust in the media.

They are trying to get young people to take this more seriously 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

They are trying to get young people to take this more seriously 

But they're doing it by being manipulative rather than just reporting the facts.  That's beyond awful.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I never understand what people mean by this.  There is some collusion to hoodwink the American public?  Personally, I have very little trust in cable TV media, especially FAUX which, to a great extent,  has shown itself to be the most guilty as purveyors of falsehoods.  

My use of "media" is to research a topic by going to multiple sources from both sides of the political spectrum, and especially those which are not political at all.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But they're doing it by being manipulative rather than just reporting the facts.  That's beyond awful.  

word, hence the conundrum

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I never understand what people mean by this.  There is some collusion to hoodwink the American public?  Personally, I have very little trust in cable TV media, especially FAUX which, to a great extent,  has shown itself to be the most guilty as purveyors of falsehoods.  

My use of "media" is to research a topic by going to multiple sources from both sides of the political spectrum, and especially those which are not political at all.  

I'm not aware of a media source that I would consider unbiased or without agenda. They have all become propaganda arms of different political / economic factions

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm not aware of a media source that I would consider unbiased or without agenda. They have all become propaganda arms of different political / economic factions

Good honest reporting is good honest reporting no matter the source.  If you look deep enough, there is plenty out there IMO.  Again, you just need to get past your personal opinion and comfort zone.  But what I encourage everyone to do is look past the news outlets.  As an example, get your information about COVID-19 from the CDC rather than MSNBC, CNN or Fox.  Go check out what the various think tanks are doing.

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

Thanks to our Dr's, Nurses, Fire,EMS, Police, people on the front line workers Pharmacies, truckers, cashiers, shelf stockers, Grocery sores, Armed Forces, Nat'l guards. These people need our money, and support! So very thankful!

Beautiful post, Apache.  I would only add that these heroes need a greater effort from our federal branch to provide necessary equipment like masks, gowns, gloves, face shields, etc. which are currently running out in most areas.  

Factories which have the capability should have already been asked to provide this vital equipment.  (But it's not too late to get this going now.)  Or else, we're sending our first responders and medical people out without protection.  This results in the folks we need most to become infected and unable to help the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

If proven true, individuals like this--especially as those who represent us in Congress--should be removed and, in a different world, horse whipped.   I don't care which party you represent.  If you profit as the average citizen no longer has a workplace/paycheck and struggles to find some sense of normalcy?  Serious consequences should be taken.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Republican senators faced calls on Friday that they resign over reports they sold substantial amounts of stock ahead of the global coronavirus-induced market meltdown after receiving closed-door briefings on the outbreak.

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr sold up to $1.7 million worth of stock on Feb. 13 in 33 separate transactions after offering public assurances the government was ready to battle the virus. His financial filings were first reported by ProPublica.

Senator Kelly Loeffler also sold millions of dollars in shares in the weeks after lawmakers were first briefed on the virus, according to public filings.

Media reports about Burr and Loeffler, who have denied wrongdoing, prompted calls for them to leave office if they were found to have broken the law from people as disparate as a progressive Democratic lawmaker and a conservative commentator.

As Intelligence Committee chairman, Burr has been receiving regular classified updates on the outbreak.

Burr made public comments in line with Republican President Donald Trump's early assurances that the country could easily handle the situation. But the senator told a private luncheon in Washington two weeks after the stock sale that the coronavirus was much more aggressive in its transmission "than anything that we have seen in recent history," according to a recording obtained by National Public Radio.

The comments predated Wall Street's massive sell-off.

In a statement Friday, Burr said he relied only on public news reports to guide his decision on the Feb. 13 stock sale.

"Understanding the assumption many could make in hindsight, however, I spoke this morning with the chairman of the Senate Ethics Committee and asked him to open a complete review of the matter with full transparency," Burr said.

Senate Ethics Committee Chairman James Lankford declined to comment on reports of the sales by the senators.

'RIDICULOUS AND BASELESS'

Loeffler sold $1.28 million to $3.1 million in stocks from Jan. 24 through mid-February, as first reported by The Daily Beast. The report said the sales began the day her health committee hosted a private coronavirus briefing for senators.

Loeffler, who has a fortune with an estimated worth of $500 million, wrote on Twitter she was informed of the transactions three weeks after they occurred.

"This is a ridiculous and baseless attack," she wrote, adding that she and her husband are not involved in investment decisions for her portfolio.

Her husband, Jeffrey Sprecher, is chairman of the New York Stock Exchange. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

Trump said the senators should "possibly" be investigated.

"They said they did nothing wrong. I find them, the whole group, very honorable people," he told reporters.

OWING AN EXPLANATION

Critics on both ends of the political spectrum called on Burr and Loeffler to consider resigning or at least explain the sales.

"Senator Burr owes North Carolinians an explanation," fellow North Carolinian and Republican Senator Thom Tillis wrote on Twitter. "His self-referral to the Ethics Committee for their review is appropriate, there needs to be a professional and bipartisan inquiry into this matter."

Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted, "It is stomach-churning that the first thoughts these Senators had to a dire & classified #COVID briefing was how to profit off this crisis." Ocasio-Cortez is a prominent member of the party's progressive wing.

Conservative Fox News commentator Tucker Carlson told viewers on Thursday: "Maybe there is an honest explanation for what (Burr) did. If there is, he should share it with the rest of us immediately. Otherwise, he must resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading."

Republican Senator James Inhofe and Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein also sold stock, according to filings, but both said they were not involved in the transactions.

Inhofe denied a New York Times report he had sold shares after attending a January briefing for senators. "I do not have any involvement in my investment decisions," he said in a statement.

Feinstein said in a statement her money is in a blind trust and she had not attended the January briefing.

Burr, in his third six-year Senate term, has said he will not seek re-election in 2022. Loeffler is running for re-election to complete the remaining two years of a term she was appointed to.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bipartisan-u-talks-expected-rescue-101029476.html