jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Just got a notification from the public schools, it’s “likely “ that school is on distance learning until April 21st

What we hear... "Kids on distance learning"

What kids hear.. "No more school!!!!!"

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am just throwing this out there, and I believe the warm weather will help. But as we look back, isn't some of this, and least a part of this, Adam Gase's fault?

His eyes (along with Gase's performance as an NFL HC) upset the Creator, who now took verngeance on humanity.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Stay home and turn off CNBC , MSNBC , FOXNEWS and CNN .

I'm doing my part and going full X Hamster 24/7.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

What we hear... "Kids on distance learning"

What kids hear.. "No more school!!!!!"

My son who is a junior said it is so easy. Just have to put in the work. He is a good student so he just does everything upfront and enjoys the rest of the day. He is loving it.

For me, if I was a student now, I would struggle in that environment. I wasn't a good student.

• Upvote 2

Soooooo, it seems like kids are starting to present with it now? First pediatric case in Ct reported today. Obviously, this would be terrifying for every parent.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

My son who is a junior said it is so easy. Just have to put in the work. He is a good student so he just does everything upfront and enjoys the rest of the day. He is loving it.

For me, if I was a student now, I would struggle in that environment. I wasn't a good student.

What bothers me most from the virtual study is the lack of interaction between students and professors. How can they possibly recreate intense discussion and/or debate between students.  Those discussions/debates were some of my fondest memories of college/grad school.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

What bothers me most from the virtual study is the lack of interaction between students and professors. How can they possibly recreate intense discussion and/or debate between students.  Those discussions/debates were some of my fondest memories of college/grad school.

Agreed, but just not sure what choice they have. Basically it will be just moving everyone along right now. I think the colleges will end up doing pass \ fail for the semester.

I always joke when I don't know something, "I must have been absent the day they taught that".  Fast forward several years, that is going to be a very real thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Agreed, but just not sure what choice they have. Basically it will be just moving everyone along right now. I think the colleges will end up doing pass \ fail for the semester.

I always joke when I don't know something, "I must have been absent the day they taught that".  Fast forward several years, that is going to be a very real thing.

Your words in bold is exactly it in a nutshell.   I just feel bad for the students who deserve better.  But I get the problem for the colleges/universities: Finishing this semester on campus would require them to 86 the Summer semester or delay start of Fall.  They won't do that.  

Do you think they will reimburse some part of tuition as a result of virtual classes?

• Upvote 1

A bit more bummed out today.  Just played this tune which almost always makes me feel more uplifted.  Maybe someone out there could use it, especially anyone who has not heard the great Who song before.

Layin' on my back
In the newly mown grass
Rain is coming down
But I know the clouds will pass
You bring me tea
Say "the babe's a-sleepin'"
Lay down beside me
Love ain't for keeping
Black ash from the foundry
Hangs like a hood
But the air is perfumed
By the burning firewood
The seeds are bursting
The spring is a-seeping
Lay down my darling
Love ain't for keeping
Lay down beside me
Love ain't for keeping

• Upvote 2

While the US is shutting down, China is ramping up. Much like how we took over the supply chain after the world wars, China is looking to capitalize. The other countries effected by this have not shut down their economies. Going to have to change the direction of our economy over the next 30 days. You can't just keep printing money and throwing it in, that's a recipe for economicm disaster.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Your words in bold is exactly it in a nutshell.   I just feel bad for the students who deserve better.  But I get the problem for the colleges/universities: Finishing this semester on campus would require them to 86 the Summer semester or delay start of Fall.  They won't do that.  

Do you think they will reimburse some part of tuition as a result of virtual classes?

I think this is the exact reason they will move everyone along. Because they won't be able to refund tuition. The cost per credit is going to be the safe virtual or not. Professors getting paid the same in either scenario.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/warm-weather-coronavirus.html

snipped some warnings against complacency as there are to many ads 

@sirlancemehlot  - continued from main board thread.. This is I think the third study suggesting a slowing as it warms

Communities in warmer places appear to have a comparative advantage to slow the transmission of the coronavirus, according to an early analysis by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The researchers found that most cases occurred in regions with low temperatures, between 37.4 and 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit (or 3 and 17 degrees Celsius).

“Wherever the temperatures were colder, the number of the cases started increasing quickly,” said Qasim Bukhari, a computational scientist at M.I.T. who is a co-author of the study. “You see this in Europe, even though the health care there is among the world’s best.”

The temperature dependency is also clear within the United States, Dr. Bukhari said. Arizona, Florida and Texas have seen slower outbreak growth compared with Washington, New York and Colorado. Coronavirus cases in California have grown at a rate that falls somewhere in between.

Dr. Bukhari acknowledged that factors like travel restrictions, social distancing measures, variations in the availability of tests and hospital burdens might have affected the number of cases in different locations.

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

While the US is shutting down, China is ramping up. Much like how we took over the supply chain after the world wars, China is looking to capitalize. The other countries effected by this have not shut down their economies.

???

Exclusive: China to ramp up spending to revive economy, could cut growth target - sources
Kevin Yao

5 Min Read

BEIJING (Reuters) - China is set to unleash trillions of yuan of fiscal stimulus to revive an economy expected to shrink for the first time in four decades amid the coronavirus pandemic, while a planned growth target is likely to be cut, according to four policy sources.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-stimulus-exclusive/exclusive-china-to-ramp-up-spending-to-revive-economy-could-cut-growth-target-sources-idUSKBN2161NW

They're not exactly going great guns-their economy is shrinking, so they let a little money back into the system to encourage growth. 

• Upvote 1

Just caught this video-never heard of these guys before.  Worth a listen:

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Just caught this video-never heard of these guys before.  Worth a listen:

I made it 3 seconds.  (That's what she said).

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I made it 3 seconds. 

Then you didn't get to the part about using the leftover corncob when the Charmin runs out?

On second thought, probably just as well.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19. 

lzmxyrouv9o41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Thumb Down 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

???

Exclusive: China to ramp up spending to revive economy, could cut growth target - sources
Kevin Yao

5 Min Read

BEIJING (Reuters) - China is set to unleash trillions of yuan of fiscal stimulus to revive an economy expected to shrink for the first time in four decades amid the coronavirus pandemic, while a planned growth target is likely to be cut, according to four policy sources.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-stimulus-exclusive/exclusive-china-to-ramp-up-spending-to-revive-economy-could-cut-growth-target-sources-idUSKBN2161NW

They're not exactly going great guns-their economy is shrinking, so they let a little money back into the system to encourage growth. 

They will try to replace the US in the supply chain where ever they can if they get the chance, we can't let that happen.

19 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19. He is feeling fine and is in quarantine. He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person. He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time. Ten days ago, our D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Paul.

Bet his neighbor won't slug him this time.  

Can We Have a New Witch Ours Melted: Weird Animal Wednesday

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19. He is feeling fine and is in quarantine. He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events. He was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person. He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time. Ten days ago, our D.C. office began operating remotely, hence virtually no staff has had contact with Senator Paul.

So clear why this tool's 60 year-old neighbor tackled him and broke six of his ribs after a verbal altercation.  Like so many of us, just got fed up dealing with Paul's stupidity.   Thank you sir, especially from us over 60.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On a lighter note, I woke up this morning, saw it was snowing, and my first thought, verbatim, was “ @CTM did this.”

Not me, I'm social distancing.

Of course I was doing that last year too but now I feel part of a community ❤️

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Not me, I'm social distancing.

Of course I was doing that last year too but now I feel part of a community ❤️

With my OCD, I have been in perpetual social distancing mode for years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OMG I can't even stand my wife's voice anymore.

How about if you have a wife that has gone full Hudson at least once or twice every day?

I wanted to get something in Costco and she said not to come home if I go in there in a tone of voice that I haven't heard in 3 decades.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

They will try to replace the US in the supply chain where ever they can if they get the chance, we can't let that happen.

Replace? Do you realize how much was "made in China"? After this pandemic it's time to start making our own supply in the USA. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How about if you have a wife that has gone full Hudson at least once or twice every day?

I wanted to get something in Costco and she said not to come home if I go in there in a tone of voice that I haven't heard in 3 decades.   

Why does she not want you to go to your local Costco's? It's an essential business for essential household items. Unless you were going there to buy a new flat screen tv...I don't see the problem.

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Replace? Do you realize how much was "made in China"? After this pandemic it's time to start making our own supply in the USA. 

Only problem is that we have not been a manufacturing economy for decades.  It would take years to rebuild that system.  And I don't believe the desire is there amongst those who could do it, especially the Federal government.  

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Only problem is that we have not been a manufacturing economy for decades.  It would take years to rebuild that system.  And I don't believe the desire is there amongst those who could do it, especially the Federal government.  

Or the labor

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yes, and we can't let them replace anymore.

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Or the labor

Thanks for adding.  Dead on.   Plus, folks now are content to make money in a service/information economy.

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why does she not want you to go to your local Costco's? It's an essential business for essential household items. Unless you were going there to buy a new flat screen tv...I don't see the problem.

crowded there.  That's why.  

4 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, and we can't let them replace anymore.

We let OURSELVES replace us.  We could have kept a greater portion of our manufacturing sector.  But companies/corporations were happy to send their business to China and other countries to save three cents on an item.  Basically exploited their workforce (and sh*t-canning ours) for a greater profit.   

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks for adding.  Dead on.   Plus, folks now are content to make money in a service/information economy.

I know a few displaced NYC millennial who did the gig economy thing, bartender, sommellier, waiter, dj, etc.. A more practical one told them Walmart/Costco/ Amazon are hiring .. they turned their nose up at that idea pretty quickly..  i guess why not, governemnt is talking helicopter money

• Thumb Down 1