Jump to content
jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, CTM said:

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/warm-weather-coronavirus.html

snipped some warnings against complacency as there are to many ads 

@sirlancemehlot  - continued from main board thread.. This is I think the third study suggesting a slowing as it warms

 

 

i dunno...    Florida had 328 cases on 3/18...and now have more than 1,000

Louisiana had 196 cases on 3/17 and now has 837

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i dunno...    Florida had 328 cases on 3/18...and now have more than 1,000

Louisiana had 196 cases on 3/17 and now has 837

both a direct result of an increase in testing, i think with the lack of tests 1-2 weeks ago, mortality is probably more accurate stat right now unfortunately.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CTM said:

 

 

I know a few displaced NYC millennial who did the gig economy thing, bartender, sommellier, waiter, dj, etc.. A more practical one told them Walmart/Costco/ Amazon are hiring .. they turned their nose up at that idea pretty quickly..  i guess why not, bernie's going to send them 2k a month as a right 🙄

C'mon man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CTM said:

both a direct direct result of an increase in testing, i think with the lack of tests 1-2 weeks ago, mortality is probably more accurate stat right now unfortunately.

I agree with this, the testing has ramped up. There is a new drive through testing center a few miles from my house. I expect NJ #s to keep ramping up. Hopefully the peak isn't more than two weeks away. I have no idea but it would be nice to see the social distancing thing help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

C'mon man.

Apologies, I edited, hope that is more acceptable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I agree with this, the testing has ramped up. There is a new drive through testing center a few miles from my house. I expect NJ #s to keep ramping up. Hopefully the peak isn't more than two weeks away. I have no idea but it would be nice to see the social distancing thing help.

Yeah, we won't see the impact of social distancing in numbers for some time.

Current situation I've seen repeated numerous places i think all form Wuhan study

5.1 days avg onset

7 days after that it's still mild

then you either get better or end up in hospital (most get better). So hospitalizations hopefully start going down in 2 weeks.

Avg time to mortality is 17 days post onset.

That means avg 22 days post infection should point to infection spike, so in 3 weeks daily deaths should start trending down. hopefully.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CTM said:

both a direct direct result of an increase in testing, i think with the lack of tests 1-2 weeks ago, mortality is probably more accurate stat right now unfortunately.

and the only reason the numbers werent higher sooner is the same....

mortality is only the indication pof mortality...    who is infected and WHERE is what we needa know, imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

and the only reason the numbers werent higher sooner is the same....

mortality is only the indication pof mortality...    who is infected and WHERE is what we needa know, imho

It's a rough estimate of infection that isn't getting misdated, assuming similiar CFR's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

We let OURSELVES replace us.  We could have kept a greater portion of our manufacturing sector.  But companies/corporations were happy to send their business to China and other countries to save three cents on an item.  Basically exploited their workforce (and sh*t-canning ours) for a greater profit.   

I understand this, I also understand that there are supply chain operations that we still have a foothold in, that China will seek to usurp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I understand this, I also understand that there are supply chain operations that we still have a foothold in, that China will seek to usurp.

After this pandemic is over (whenever that is) I hope it's possible to not be so dependent on China for our drugs and medical supplies.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTM said:

Yeah, we won't see the impact of social distancing in numbers for some time.

Current situation I've seen repeated numerous places i think all form Wuhan study

5.1 days avg onset

7 days after that it's still mild

then you either get better or end up in hospital (most get better). So hospitalizations hopefully start going down in 2 weeks.

Avg time to mortality is 17 days post onset.

That means avg 22 days post infection should point to infection spike, so in 3 weeks daily deaths should start trending down. hopefully.

 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

check out the section on south  korea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CTM said:

I posted that a few pages back. I'm sorry I don't understand your point? I think SK is the model for how to handle this.

1) musta missed that post..,.    2) we agree on SK as the model...   

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CTM said:

I posted that a few pages back. I'm sorry I don't understand your point? I think SK is the model for how to handle this.

BTW,  the link below..(medium.com).  it eventually has a petition signing page, which I hadn't got to....    it seems me n CTM have concluded, loosely speaking... ,    that we belive the strategy employed by South KOrea seems like the way to go... 

the article basically supports measures that are an amalgamation of things used there and in HOng Kong and China (eventually)

I am printing the link to the petition here, hoping that this doesn't run afoul of Jetnation guidelines...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/buy-us-time-fight-coronavirus-and-save-millions-lives-hammer-and-dance-suppression-strategy

 

28 minutes ago, CTM said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us guitar geeks.  Whilst social distancing, Queen's Brian May figured he'd give us a lesson on how to play the solo in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and talk about his gear.  Thank you Sir Brian.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even more evidence of Sen. Rand Paul's dubious character and decision making.   Guy should be locked up for this.

Two of Sen. Rand Paul's colleagues in the Senate are calling him out after he reportedly refused to isolate himself after testing for the coronavirus.

Paul, a Republican from Kentucky who later tested positive for the coronavirus, continued to go out in public and used the Senate's pool and gym after being tested, according to Washington Post reporter Seung Min Kim.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, a Democrat from Arizona, said on Twitter that while she has "never commented about a fellow Senator's choices/actions," Paul's actions were "absolutely irresponsible."

"You cannot be near other people while waiting for coronavirus test results," said Sinema, who has been outspoken about the need for social distancing to curb the effects of the coronavirus epidemic. "It endangers others & likely increases the spread of the virus."

https://www.businessinsider.com/senators-criticize-rand-paul-reportedly-going-gym-after-coronavirus-test-2020-3?utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_medium=referral

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For us guitar geeks.  Whilst social distancing, Queen's Brian May figured he'd give us a lesson on how to play the solo in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and talk about his gear.  Thank you Sir Brian.

 

How kool is that................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why does she not want you to go to your local Costco's? It's an essential business for essential household items. Unless you were going there to buy a new flat screen tv...I don't see the problem.

 Yeah.  Besides, most people think if you were still watching a tube type TV, getting a new flat screen definitely qualifies as an emergency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On a lighter note, I woke up this morning, saw it was snowing, and my first thought, verbatim, was “ @CTM did this.”

 I respectfully disagree.  I think instead of causing it to snow, CTM is more the type of person who would post three pages of charts, graphs and article quotes purporting to prove that you didn't see it snowing when you woke up this morning.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

 I respectfully disagree.  I think instead of causing it to snow, CTM is more the type of person who would post three pages of charts, graphs and article quotes purporting to prove that you didn't see it snowing when you woke up this morning.

It truly is a burden being a visionary in the land of the blind.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read this sad fact:

U.S. states on Monday reported more than 100 deaths from the novel coronavirus, pushing the country’s total death toll past 500 and marking the first time single-day fatalities have risen into the triple-digits since the pandemic reached U.S. soil.

The virus has now claimed lives in at least 34 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and has infected more than 41,000 people nationwide, according to tracking by The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/23/coronavirus-latest-news/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDonalds shut all its fast food joints in Ireland and the UK, and the toilet paper hoarders were out in force panic eating... queues of half a mile for some of their drive thrus.

Heard the Brits are now going on total lockdown.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Just read this sad fact:

U.S. states on Monday reported more than 100 deaths from the novel coronavirus, pushing the country’s total death toll past 500 and marking the first time single-day fatalities have risen into the triple-digits since the pandemic reached U.S. soil.

The virus has now claimed lives in at least 34 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and has infected more than 41,000 people nationwide, according to tracking by The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/23/coronavirus-latest-news/

 

Unfortunately it's only beginning. If we are like Italy who looks to have peaked and starting a downward trend (early yet), it was about 13 days after widespread lock downs. We are a week or so behind them

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, TeddEY said:

My biggest fear right now is that Fauci is going to quit or be pushed out after today, and then we're all in really big trouble.

interested GIF

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

interested GIF

Sad day if he isn't in future press conferences.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Economy going to crap for this overreaction.  Can't wait til the mass hysteria subsides.

World wide:

353,692 cases

15,430 deaths

100,443 recovered

-per John Hopkins 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

 

15,430 deaths is almost 3x the people who died on 9/11

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Even more evidence of Sen. Rand Paul's dubious character and decision making.   Guy should be locked up for this.

Two of Sen. Rand Paul's colleagues in the Senate are calling him out after he reportedly refused to isolate himself after testing for the coronavirus.

Paul, a Republican from Kentucky who later tested positive for the coronavirus, continued to go out in public and used the Senate's pool and gym after being tested, according to Washington Post reporter Seung Min Kim.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, a Democrat from Arizona, said on Twitter that while she has "never commented about a fellow Senator's choices/actions," Paul's actions were "absolutely irresponsible."

"You cannot be near other people while waiting for coronavirus test results," said Sinema, who has been outspoken about the need for social distancing to curb the effects of the coronavirus epidemic. "It endangers others & likely increases the spread of the virus."

https://www.businessinsider.com/senators-criticize-rand-paul-reportedly-going-gym-after-coronavirus-test-2020-3?utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_medium=referral

Can I say that guy is a douche?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

After this pandemic is over (whenever that is) I hope it's possible to not be so dependent on China for our drugs and medical supplies.

Good luck

Edited by Maxman
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Federico's Pizzeria & Restaurant
700 Main St, Belmar, NJ 07719

Takes Out Loan To Pay Employees - 50K Credit Line Pays Workers Amid Coronavirus

Show them some love!

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BREAKING: Gov Cuomo: “We have to plan the pivot back to economic functionality” Says we may not have to isolate everyone. Could allow the healthy, less vulnerable to work. #COVID19 survival rate is 98%. NY Forward plan to look into restarting economic engine.

Cuomo: “At some point you have to open the valve because this is not sustainable.” Says he has no second thoughts about keeping all non-essential workers home despite damage to the economy. Says there will be political consequences but claims he doesn’t care.

Cuomo: "The First order of business is to deal with this health crisis. We are still in the relative calm before the storm. Once we get through health crisis, we will plan for economy."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Economy going to crap for this overreaction.  Can't wait til the mass hysteria subsides.

World wide:

353,692 cases

15,430 deaths

100,443 recovered

-per John Hopkins 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

 

The number of deaths doubles after 3 days.  If you start on the first of the month with $100 in your pocket and it doubled every 3 days, by the end of 2 months you have $1,048,576.  Apply that to lives.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

The number of deaths doubles after 3 days.  If you start on the first of the month with $100 in your pocket and it doubled every 3 days, by the end of 2 months you have $1,048,576.  Apply that to lives.

$104,857,600*

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CTM said:

Yeah, we won't see the impact of social distancing in numbers for some time.

Current situation I've seen repeated numerous places i think all form Wuhan study

5.1 days avg onset

7 days after that it's still mild

then you either get better or end up in hospital (most get better). So hospitalizations hopefully start going down in 2 weeks.

Avg time to mortality is 17 days post onset.

That means avg 22 days post infection should point to infection spike, so in 3 weeks daily deaths should start trending down. hopefully.

 

That's exactly right.  Those numbers jive with what I've seen and heard.

But it also puts in perspective that the knuckleheads who were still crowding bars and running around Manhattan one week ago as the social distancing idea was really starting to be pushed hard are just now getting symptoms, will be feeling sick this week and then, if their immune systems don't react well, end up in the hospital towards the end of this week and next week.  I think our hospitalization peak will be in the April 15-25th timeframe.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...