Jump to content
jetstream23

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 3/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, Dcat said:

My brother in law works at one of the largest hospitals on Long Island.  He lives with his wife, her 82 year old mother and 2 children.  He tested positive yesterday and they sent him home (Suffolk County northshore)  They are in quarantine.  He has diabetes and other compromised medical issues. So does the wife and mother.  There is no way we can do anything to help them right now.  I don't even think they are stocked up on household needs.  My wife is going nuts, as she is the matriarch of her family ever since her mom and dad passed.  We live about 90 miles west of them.

Helplessness is a terrible thing.

Sorry to hear that, sending positive vibes your way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just sent this clip.  If you can, just listen to the first few minutes of Fauci's answers.  Eye opening.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're number one!   We're number one!  😔

Updated 9:31 p.m. ET Thursday 

The U.S. now has more coronavirus cases than any other country in the world, surpassing China's total and highlighting how rapidly the virus can move through a population. 

The U.S. logged more than 83,000 cases as of 8 p.m. ET Thursday, while China reported more than 81,00 infections, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. 

America now leading the world in coronavirus cases is striking since the U.S. population of some 330 million is just a fraction of China's 1.4 billion people. 

In China, where the epidemic started in December, almost 3,300 people have died, while in the U.S., the toll stands at around 1,200. In Italy, there have been about 8,200 deaths.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/26/822248693/u-s-surpasses-china-in-cases-of-coronavirus

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

A bit of great news for health care workers.  As you see, various groups are taking it upon themselves to address the availability/distribution problem.

  • A union representing healthcare works said Thursday that it had located 39 million N95 masks and was connecting their supplier to hospitals and state and local governments.
  • That's more than the number of masks in the US national stockpile, which has about 12 million N95 masks and 30 million surgical masks.
  • The masks are set to be distributed in California and New York at a cost of $5 each.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-39-million-n95-medical-masks-stockpile-us-hospitals-union-2020-3

Great news.  Positivity is needed keep sane sometimes.  I had to delete my Facebook and Twitter for a bit because I was getting into a bad head space with the constant stream of negativity.  Hopefully this can help keep our health care heroes a little more safe.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coronavirus pandemic can be emotionally overwhelming, as “Today” show co-anchor Hoda Kotb showed Friday morning.

Kotb was finishing an interview with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, discussing his $5 million donation to help with COVID-19 relief, when she suddenly broke down crying.

“I also think a lot of things are contagious, including generosity," Kotb told the NFL star. "So our hope is that because you let us know that you made this big, generous donation, I think other people look and say, ‘Hey, maybe I can help out, too.’ Drew, we love you.”

“I love you, too, Hoda,” Brees replied.

After hearing those five little words, she immediately began fighting back tears.

“Sorry,” Kotb said repeatedly, trying to look away and regain her composure.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The coronavirus pandemic can be emotionally overwhelming, as “Today” show co-anchor Hoda Kotb showed Friday morning.

Kotb was finishing an interview with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, discussing his $5 million donation to help with COVID-19 relief, when she suddenly broke down crying.

“I also think a lot of things are contagious, including generosity," Kotb told the NFL star. "So our hope is that because you let us know that you made this big, generous donation, I think other people look and say, ‘Hey, maybe I can help out, too.’ Drew, we love you.”

“I love you, too, Hoda,” Brees replied.

After hearing those five little words, she immediately began fighting back tears.

“Sorry,” Kotb said repeatedly, trying to look away and regain her composure.

 

Damn that one was rough. She is a pro, never saw her break down like that before.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about anyone else but this stuff is getting a little bit too authoritarian for me.  

https://apnews.com/f1d8a8179745865f0ba2e1ff83c97a83

De Blasio said he would even consider closing playgrounds as soon as Saturday if families don’t follow new rules to “not overcrowd them” or allowing “kids playing with kids outside their own family.”

“We’re used to crowds, we’re used to lines, we’re used to being close together,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a briefing this week. “No more.”

Now comes an effort to impose restrictions in parks, playgrounds, housing project courtyards and sidewalks, where some people to congregate out of habit or indifference as temperatures rise. On Wednesday, de Blasio said the city was removing basketball hoops at 80 of its 1,700 public courts — places where he said people were ignoring instructions not to shoot around with anyone outside their household.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

 NYC?  My wife is in icu unit for babies.  They are saying they might need to have them take care of adults soon.  

Yup NYC.

And that is just gut wrenching, I really hope they don’t have to pull her off her regular job. I hope this isn’t the case in infant and children ICUs, but I know that even in regular times adult ICUs are routinely too short staffed and have to be in non-compliance with the mandated nurse-patient ratios.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, batman10023 said:

 NYC?  My wife is in icu unit for babies.  They are saying they might need to have them take care of adults soon.  

I have a family member that is nicu in Bergen county, they are starting to get overwhelmed and have a few new mothers with covid. They have 1 vent left last I heard and tensions are high 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

8BFAE53E-E239-40DD-AAAD-5E56C8B58EC4.jpeg

ctrl+r "guy I went to high school with" with "guy in this random jets forum online"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know about anyone else but this stuff is getting a little bit too authoritarian for me.  

https://apnews.com/f1d8a8179745865f0ba2e1ff83c97a83

De Blasio said he would even consider closing playgrounds as soon as Saturday if families don’t follow new rules to “not overcrowd them” or allowing “kids playing with kids outside their own family.”

“We’re used to crowds, we’re used to lines, we’re used to being close together,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a briefing this week. “No more.”

Now comes an effort to impose restrictions in parks, playgrounds, housing project courtyards and sidewalks, where some people to congregate out of habit or indifference as temperatures rise. On Wednesday, de Blasio said the city was removing basketball hoops at 80 of its 1,700 public courts — places where he said people were ignoring instructions not to shoot around with anyone outside their household.

I get what you're saying.  But until a vaccine or therapy are identified, what's the alternative?  As any parent knows, kids will run toward each other to say hi or play.  And every one of those little maniacs is coughing, picking their nose, etc.   And just imagine all the body fluids  (spit, sweat) getting passed around during a pickup basketball game.  Then bringing those home to wives, kids, parents, grandparents.....

32 minutes ago, CTM said:

I have a family member that is nicu in Bergen county, they are starting to get overwhelmed and have a few new mothers with covid. They have 1 vent left last I heard and tensions are high 

Damn, that's frightening.  CTM, hoping your family member, and everyone else involved at that nicu, comes out unscathed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Damn that one was rough. She is a pro, never saw her break down like that before.

This thing is getting to everyone.  The mental health aspects and impact of this whole time we're going through as a nation are important to not discount.  Everyone can have a moment....just like she did.  Lots of stress, confusion, etc.  I heard someone say the other day that we don't yet realize it....but that odd feeling that everyone has and can't quite put their finger on is actually grief....it's a sense of loss almost as if you've lost someone.  And, that someone is this abstract thing we know as everyday life.  Routines are gone, contact with friends, the kids' teachers, work colleagues, the Thursday night softball league, going to that favorite restaurant every two weeks....it was all kinda taken away from us and we're collectively grieving even if we don't explicitly recognize it as such.  Then, when you see people stepping like Drew with a big donation or, even more impressively, recently retired doctors and nurses coming back to their old hospitals to volunteer during this crisis, it's very moving.  Okay...enough with me being sappy.  In that video she reminded me of myself the moment we drafted Quinnen over Josh Allen. :P

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Multiple Stanford Medical Professors Question If COVID-19 Is Really “As Deadly As They Say”

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/no_author/multiple-stanford-medical-professors-question-if-covid-19-is-really-as-deadly-as-they-say/

Interesting.  Let's hope it's less deadly than thought...and let's hope that here in the US we're better equipped to save those who do become infected.  That said, whether the fatality rate is a little higher or lower, it wouldn't change my calculus on doing what we're doing to slow the spread.  If the fatality rate is 1.2% vs. 0.8% or whatever, we still have this SIGNIFICANT issue of an overwhelmed healthcare system and hospitals operating past capacity that we simply have to alleviate.

I'm not familiar with this guy's website though.  Is he a doctor?

296820708_ScreenShot2020-03-27at9_28_52AM.png.ff5e899d29b923878ef58dfbcbff653b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that people are going to lose their minds if they're kept socially isolated for long periods of time.  Don't dismiss the psychological effects of this.  As terrible as this virus is, so far there are 1,296 deaths from it in the USA.  And despite people distancing from each other, we're still in supermarkets together and we're still touching things (e.g. packages delivered from amazon or takeout/delivery containers) that others have touched, despite being told that the virus can live 17 days on a surface (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html)

 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241493126.html

Suicide hotline calls soar as coronavirus spreads. ‘There is a flood coming’
 

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/

image.png.18f67b22c036b22430f4ecc32585e227.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  Let's hope it's less deadly than thought...and let's hope that here in the US we're better equipped to save those who do become infected.  That said, whether the fatality rate is a little higher or lower, it wouldn't change my calculus on doing what we're doing to slow the spread.  If the fatality rate is 1.2% vs. 0.8% or whatever, we still have this SIGNIFICANT issue of an overwhelmed healthcare system and hospitals operating past capacity that we simply have to alleviate.

I'm not familiar with this guy's website though.  Is he a doctor?

296820708_ScreenShot2020-03-27at9_28_52AM.png.ff5e899d29b923878ef58dfbcbff653b.png

He's not a doctor but, in that article, he's referring to stuff from doctors from Stanford. 

Fwiw, I do think it's an interesting website.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know about anyone else but this stuff is getting a little bit too authoritarian for me.  

https://apnews.com/f1d8a8179745865f0ba2e1ff83c97a83

De Blasio said he would even consider closing playgrounds as soon as Saturday if families don’t follow new rules to “not overcrowd them” or allowing “kids playing with kids outside their own family.”

“We’re used to crowds, we’re used to lines, we’re used to being close together,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a briefing this week. “No more.”

Now comes an effort to impose restrictions in parks, playgrounds, housing project courtyards and sidewalks, where some people to congregate out of habit or indifference as temperatures rise. On Wednesday, de Blasio said the city was removing basketball hoops at 80 of its 1,700 public courts — places where he said people were ignoring instructions not to shoot around with anyone outside their household.

This isn't "authoritarian". It is absolute Insanity that playground equipment would be open right now. Think about it, how do you play on a swing set or a slide or any other piece of playground equipment? You put your hands all over it. And if you think kids are being good enough about being gloved up, or washing their hands, that there is no real chance of the virus transferring from Kid to equipment for the next kid to their family members, you don't understand what is happening here.

I have family working in multiple New York City hospitals. Unless you're hearing it from someone like that, you don't really understand what is going on right now.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This isn't "authoritarian". It is absolute Insanity that playground equipment would be open right now. Think about it, how do you play on a swing set or a slide or any other piece of playground equipment? You put your hands all over it. And if you think kids are being good enough about being gloved up, or washing their hands, that there is no real chance of the virus transferring from Kid to equipment for the next kid to their family members, you don't understand what is happening here.

I have family working in multiple New York City hospitals. Unless you're hearing it from someone like that, you don't really understand what is going on right now.

So do I (and this includes immediate family btw), yet I still think it's authoritarian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  Let's hope it's less deadly than thought...and let's hope that here in the US we're better equipped to save those who do become infected.  That said, whether the fatality rate is a little higher or lower, it wouldn't change my calculus on doing what we're doing to slow the spread.  If the fatality rate is 1.2% vs. 0.8% or whatever, we still have this SIGNIFICANT issue of an overwhelmed healthcare system and hospitals operating past capacity that we simply have to alleviate.

I'm not familiar with this guy's website though.  Is he a doctor?

296820708_ScreenShot2020-03-27at9_28_52AM.png.ff5e899d29b923878ef58dfbcbff653b.png

Rockwell is a virulent antisemite and that website has hosted pieces with quotes like "the Jew question" 

Stay the **** away

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some things can be considered authoritarian but necessary in these times. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Rockwell is a virulent antisemite and that website has hosted pieces with quotes like "the Jew question" 

Stay the **** away

Fwiw, I'm Jewish and I haven't seen anything like that.  One of the big contributors to his site (Walter Block) is also Jewish, btw.

Also, the article I posted relates to the words of 2 Stanford medical professors.  So even if what you're saying is true (and, again, I strongly don't believe it is), it would be irrelevant to the point I was bringing up.

But we should take this convo offline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I'm Jewish and I haven't seen anything like that.  One of the big contributors to his site (Walter Block) is also Jewish, btw.

Also, the article I posted relates to the words of 2 Stanford medical professors.  So even if what you're saying is true (and, again, I strongly don't believe it is), it would be irrelevant to the point I was bringing up.

But we should take this convo offline.

I'm not going to link it. Go Google it

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm not going to link it. Go Google it

Thanks.  Appreciate your perspective (as well as @TuscanyTile2 for sharing info) .  I'm wary of most news sources anyway....so whether this guy is the good, the bad or the ugly my motto is simply to "know your sources" so we can all evaluate for ourselves whether something is useful or hogwash.

Stay well fellas.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I'm Jewish and I haven't seen anything like that.  One of the big contributors to his site (Walter Block) is also Jewish, btw.

Also, the article I posted relates to the words of 2 Stanford medical professors.  So even if what you're saying is true (and, again, I strongly don't believe it is), it would be irrelevant to the point I was bringing up.

But we should take this convo offline.

Walter Block is a psychopath.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Keep in mind that people are going to lose their minds if they're kept socially isolated for long periods of time.  Don't dismiss the psychological effects of this.  As terrible as this virus is, so far there are 1,296 deaths from it in the USA.  And despite people distancing from each other, we're still in supermarkets together and we're still touching things (e.g. packages delivered from amazon or takeout/delivery containers) that others have touched, despite being told that the virus can live 17 days on a surface (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html)

 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241493126.html

Suicide hotline calls soar as coronavirus spreads. ‘There is a flood coming’
 

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/

image.png.18f67b22c036b22430f4ecc32585e227.png

So let them lose their minds. What babies they are. Maybe some of the idiot parents of these kids should take their lil spoiled brats from the  playground to one of the refrigerated trucks at the local hospitals so they can see the reality of their selfish behavior

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Some things can be considered authoritarian but necessary in these times. 

Im welcoming the us military guarding those parks and more. Not nearly authoritative enough imo

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

So let them lose their minds. What babies they are. Maybe some of the idiot parents of these kids should take their lil spoiled brats from the  playground to one of the refrigerated trucks at the local hospitals so they can see the reality of their selfish behavior

I'm saying that, even if you believe in these tactics, there has to be a balance.  You addressed kids in a playground but what about suicides?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good news.  The first link is a dire prediction from a top Coronavirus adviser to the British government (Neil Ferguson).  The 2nd link is from the same guy radically lowering his predicted death toll (in the UK at least.  Hopefully the estimation is much lower in the US as well).

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-research/sobering-coronavirus-study-prompted-britain-to-toughen-its-approach-idUSKBN2141EP

image.png.89ba5abdcd4ee0aacc03690986eff3f8.png

image.png.65c749694103938de10619db53e94d68.png

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/26/uk-epidemiologist-radically-lowers-his-predicted-c/

image.thumb.png.dfe74dcd714d8e1487a884eba9e465b3.png

image.png.441b429be0c35fb73d87822429b8b934.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm saying that, even if you believe in these tactics, there has to be a balance.  You addressed kids in a playground but what about suicides?

Not to sound mean but if someone is so weak to handle this and commits suicide over not being able to socialize then thats nature. 
im concerned with the spread of covid, and enforcement of laws to prevent spread. That is controllable. Suicides are not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly my sister in law went to dr last week, they tell her she has strep, she goes back to work 3 days later after feeling 100% better, on day 4 they call her and she’s notified she has Covid-19. Nurse comes to house to test all four kids, husband and two grandparents that live there. 2 days later results are that she had tested positive and and other family members were negative for virus. They all live in the same house together, besides her 2-3 days of thinking it was just step she has obv interacted normally with everyone in house. They had to sign papers they wouldn’t leave house for certain number of days etc. just strange nobody else in house was positive except her. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to keep this as non-identifiable as possible: Surgeon working with immunosuppressed kids has tested positive and been intubated. I know this hasn't really affected kids, thank god, but I'm not sure how much that helps for kids who have had their immune systems shut down. Hopefully the surgeon recovers and can get back to saving kids' lives ASAP and praying for those kids who may have been exposed.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Multiple Stanford Medical Professors Question If COVID-19 Is Really “As Deadly As They Say”

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/no_author/multiple-stanford-medical-professors-question-if-covid-19-is-really-as-deadly-as-they-say/

 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

8BFAE53E-E239-40DD-AAAD-5E56C8B58EC4.jpeg

 

18 minutes ago, HessStation said:

 

Ironic back to back posts

How do you figure?  The link I posted refers to comments from Dr. Eran Bendavid and Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, two professors of medicine at Stanford University.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...