Which college football program could field the best NFL lineup of skill players?

Take any college football program and list their best all-time QB (1), RBs (2), WRs (2) and TE (1).  When I say "best" I'm talking about "best NFL'er" (e.g. Tim Tebow wouldn't count).  Also, I'm not talking about depth here.  I'm talking about the best ones at each position.  So if a program had 1 superstar QB in their entire history, it wouldn't matter if they never had any other good QBs.

Anyway, I have an answer in mind (that I believe will surprise people) but I wanted to hear people's responses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Always draft interior dline from Bama, never draft a CB or WR from Bama

Always draft oline from Wisconsin, never draft a RB from wisconsin

Always draft LBs from penn state, never draft RBs from penn state

Always draft CBs from florida and floria state

Always draft Oline from boston college but nothing else.

Always draft WR and dline from clemson.

Never draft QBs from usc (Except Darnold)

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Pitt....Marino, Dorset, Curtis, Ditka

Ala.    Joe, Julio Jones, Raymond Berry, Ozzie Newsiome.

Pitt was the one I had in mind.  Don't forget Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Brown.  And as mentioned above, some great RBs (Curtis Martin, LeSean McCoy).

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

University of Pittsburgh

QB - Marino

RB - Tony Dorsett

RB - Lesean McCoy (Curtis Martin honorable mention)

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

WR - Antonio Bryant

TE - Mike Ditka

Yep, didn't think this would be guessed because who thinks of Pitt as a powerhouse.  But that was def my answer.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

USC is probably going to win a few of these categories.  RB's at least.  Marcus Allen, OJ, Reggie Bush, etc.

Limiting to skill position players hurts USC.   On top of yours, you can add Ronnie Lott, Seau, Munoz, Bruce Matthews,  On and Lynn Swann.

A dark horse would be Syracuse who probably would have the best backfield of all time.  Jim Brown and Larry Csonka.  Marvin Harrison, Art Monk and John Mackey make some nice receiving options.  No QB though but with Jim Brown, do you really need one?

• Sympathy 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Limiting to skill position players hurts USC.   On top of yours, you can add Ronnie Lott, Seau, Munoz, Bruce Matthews,  On and Lynn Swann.

A dark horse would be Syracuse who probably would have the best backfield of all time.  Jim Brown and Larry Csonka.  Marvin Harrison, Art Monk and John Mackey make some nice receiving options.  No QB though but with Jim Brown, do you really need one?

Donovan McNabb wasn't shabby

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Donovan McNabb wasn't shabby

Oh...good catch.  I forgot him.  That makes for a pretty nice offense.

Another run-heavy school I can think of is UT Austin.  Vince Young at QB, Earl and Ricky at RB (that's pretty solid).  They just don't have the receivers to keep up (no...Johnny Lam Jones does not change that).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, A.J. said:

UGA

QB - Stafford

RB - Davis, Gurley

WR - Ward, Green

TE - Watson

Different era so you can't really compare the numbers, but I am taking Tarkenton ahead of Stafford. Other than that, its hard to argue with your choices.  Unless you want to bring Charlie Trippi into the discussion at RB, which would be soemwhat disingenuous since I never saw him play.  I may be old, but I am not that old.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Different era so you can't really compare the numbers, but I am taking Tarkenton ahead of Stafford. Other than that, its hard to argue with your choices.  Unless you want to bring Charlie Trippi into the discussion at RB, which would be soemwhat disingenuous since I never saw him play.  I may be old, but I am not that old.

Agreed......not even close.

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

NcNabb. I almost picked Syracuse 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wouldn’t argue at all between the two QBs. Just went with the first guy that came to mind 

Trippi could replace Gurley maybe since I think we may have already seen his peak in the NFL but Davis has to be there imo.

20 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Wouldn’t argue at all between the two QBs. Just went with the first guy that came to mind 

Trippi could replace Gurley maybe since I think we may have already seen his peak in the NFL but Davis has to be there imo.

I was thnking about Herschel v Gurley.  Walker had a decent career, but Gurley has already had 2 or 3 seasons that were better than anything Walker put up in the NFL, so I would stick with Gurley.  As for Trippi, other than being a HOFer, I really don't know enough about him as a player to have an opinion.

Cool idea Tusc. 

The U. 

Coach: Jimmy Johnson

Defense

MLB1: Ray Lewis

MLB2a/b: Jon Beason/Jonathan Vilma

FS1: Ed Reed

FS2: Brandon Meriweather

SS: Phillip Buchanon 

DT. Vince Wilfork

DE: Calais Campbell

DB: Antrel Rolle