Who Was The Worst Jets GM In The Post-Kotite Era?

Who Was The Worst Jets GM In The Post-Kotite Era?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who was worst?

• Mike Maccagnan
    • John Idzik
    • Mike Tannenbaum
    • Terry Bradway
    • Bill Parcells

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It should also be pointed out that Idzik was unemployed for ten minutes after his firing. Maccagnan, like Rex, will never be employed by an NFL team again. 

Mac had 4+ years to show how horrible he was.  Idzik had barely 2

and I’m a Mac hater

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Geno Smith career stats: 6,182 yards,  57.7 comp %, 29 tds, 36 ints

Christian hackenburgs career stats: 0, 0, 0, 0

Hack was so bad he lasted about 1 1/2 games in the dog shi* league that folded last year.

Since this is the Idzik vs Mac thread even Idziks worst fails were light years better than McDumbass

Geno is Lamar Jackson compared to Petty and Hackenberg 

• Upvote 2

It’s not even close. Mac is in the running for worst GM in NFL history(Matt Millen-like - Even he drafted Megatron). His two claims are Adams over Franchise QBs and trading up for an unknown QB at the time. (Btw he used Idzik’s draftee to the 2nd rounder because his two tradable 1sts Leo and Lee could not bring back that kind of return!)

The easiest question to answer this is who had a Job in the NFL a few months after being fired?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Groh was never the Jets GM. Parcells was still lurking the halls that year as GM after retiring as coach the year before. The next year he hired his stooge Terry Bradway for the job.

Bill Parcells told the world that Al Groh was in charge of everything. That was Groh's draft.

"Groh already has the final word on personnel matters: the draft, free agency, the hiring of coaches and the support people who make up a football operation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/30/sports/pro-football-he-s-just-barely-settled-in-but-groh-holds-jets-reins.html?searchResultPosition=2

14 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Idzik just need more time and it would have been very close...

Idzik had no clue how to evaluate talent but his clearing $50 mil in cap room led to the only semi respectable year Mac had in 2015

• Upvote 2

On 3/5/2020 at 6:32 AM, T0mShane said:

It should also be pointed out that Idzik was unemployed for ten minutes after his firing. Maccagnan, like Rex, will never be employed by an NFL team again. 

Tom while this very true that Idzik was employed quickly I believe he was quickly hired for his cap acumen rather than his personnel decisions 

• Sympathy 1

Tiebreaker-Trumaine Johnson. Coffee Boy overpaid for a cover corner his old team didn't even bother to offer a contract.And  he did so even though Bowles played mostly zone, and also, Johnson could not cover a deceased grandmother. 

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Idzik had no clue how to evaluate talent but his clearing $50 mil in cap room led to the only semi respectable year Mac had in 2015

Yes, Idzik had a strategy, a plan - - he rightfully didn’t get a chance to follow it through because he couldn’t draft  - but it was at least a logical plan.

I honestly think Mac lacked the basic knowledge of how to win in NFL and just did things without any logic behind them.  

Someone mentioned this earlier, but Mac very well might be the worst GM of all time.  

• Upvote 1

Here’s another way to look at this. How many times did Macc and Idzik make a draft pick that made you slap yourself in the head. On a per draft pick basis, for me, Macc is the clear winner. I’d say it’s about .4 head slaps per pick with Macc compared to maybe .2 for Idzik. 

23 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Here’s another way to look at this. How many times did Macc and Idzik make a draft pick that made you slap yourself in the head. On a per draft pick basis, for me, Macc is the clear winner. I’d say it’s about .4 head slaps per pick with Macc compared to maybe .2 for Idzik. 

So 4/10ths and 2/10ths. When I do a head slap I like to go all in with a solid 1.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:03 AM, BroadwayRay said:

Yeah, OK.

Considering it was our only good draft during the Parcells years (though with trades and eventual injuries it wasn't as good as it seemed) it is very believable.  Parcells told the world Groh was in charge, later when it appeared the moves worked out he took credit.  Either was lying and wanted Groh to take all the heat or he was telling the truth and Groh was in charge.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:52 AM, nyjunc said:

Bill Parcells told the world that Al Groh was in charge of everything. That was Groh's draft.

"Groh already has the final word on personnel matters: the draft, free agency, the hiring of coaches and the support people who make up a football operation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/30/sports/pro-football-he-s-just-barely-settled-in-but-groh-holds-jets-reins.html?searchResultPosition=2

Parcells was trying to build up Groh since that was right after Beliprick jumped ship and made him look a fool

remember part of the reason Belichick left was he didn’t want to be in Parcells’s shadow 

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells was trying to build up Groh since that was right after Beliprick jumped ship and made him look a fool

remember part of the reason Belichick left was he didn’t want to be in Parcells’s shadow 

All I know is BP told the world Groh was in charge of everything.  

I don't blame BB, this was his last chance to be a HC so it had to work for him.