Sam Darnold film study.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why are you excluding the New England game?

Is that how we evaluate QB's now, exclude their worst performances and pretend their best is the whole picture?

Because a single game has created a hysteria around this idea of back foot throwing which is irrational 

pre-Jets

No passing touchdowns, 164 yards and an interception on 15-of-29 passing for Darnold in the loss. It’s the first time in 15 career starts Darnold failed to throw for more than 200 yards. His passes were erratic, footwork inconsistent and decisions questionable.

Almost halfway through the 2017 season, it's becoming hard to deny that Darnold's inconsistency is hurting USC.

https://247sports.com/Article/Whats-wrong-with-USC-QB-Sam-Darnold-Thats-complicated-108208089/

35 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If he wants to study greatness, he should watch Mika Zibanejad's game tonight.

Meh

If Sam Darnold had the same talent around him Mika does, he'd score 5 goals every night. Put Zibanejad on the Jets and see how well he does, ok?

and wait for it... He's younger then Mika too!!!!

On 3/5/2020 at 11:02 AM, Warfish said:

We certainly have a few of those here at JN.

And they are all behind you. Weren't you ever taught when you were younger if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Every post you respond to is all negative. I really can't wait to hear what you have to say about all the coaches and players you have trashed when this team puts it all together.

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Weren't you ever taught when you were younger if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Grow up, Mr. Rodgers.  Life isn't a child's moralizing cartoon.  It's full of "not nice things to say".

Who are you to judge anyway?  Your post is certainly "not a nice thing to say", yet you said it.  Hypocrite much?

Difference is, I (verbally) beat up the team.  You (verbally) want to beat up me.  

I really can't wait to hear what you have to say about all the coaches and players you have trashed when this team puts it all together.

No need to wait.  If/when they "put it all together", they'll get the credit such "putting it all together" deserves.

My question is this:  We've been a pathetic losing franchise with the worst offense (collectively) over the past 30 (thats thirty) years.  We're a punch line as a franchise.  What exactly should I be patting this franchise on the back for?

I give the Jets exactly what they give us fans.  You want to White Knight, feel free.  I prefer to demand excellent and hold the team accountable (as much as words on a forum can).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Grow up, Mr. Rodgers.  Life isn't a child's moralizing cartoon.  It's full of "not nice things to say".

Who are you to judge anyway?  Your post is certainly "not a nice thing to say", yet you said it.  Hypocrite much?

Difference is, I (verbally) beat up the team.  You (verbally) want to beat up me.  

No need to wait.  If/when they "put it all together", they'll get the credit such "putting it all together" deserves.

My question is this:  We've been a pathetic losing franchise with the worst offense (collectively) over the past 30 (thats thirty) years.  We're a punch line as a franchise.  What exactly should I be patting this franchise on the back for?

I give the Jets exactly what they give us fans.  You want to White Knight, feel free.  I prefer to demand excellent and hold the team accountable (as much as words on a forum can).  

Perhaps the question here is what if the parts are greater than their sum? Would credit be given if the Organization obtained a player able to utilize his talent at least competently despite the group? 

On 3/5/2020 at 5:08 PM, Warfish said:

Is that how we evaluate QB's now, exclude their worst performances and pretend their best is the whole picture?

Yes, that would be the point of someone asking a sound question, "outside of the NE game"

It gives validation to the idea its overblown.  But the video does give validation to the idea that most of his INTs were thrown under duress.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If the parts are greater than the sum, we need a new Head Coach.  His job is making the sum greater than the parts.

I’m leaning towards this view, including the previous GM regime. Post ‘12 Tannenbaum has been a historic catastrophe. 

I also believe that history has been kinder to the Rex era because he was able to get more from his players than any regime since Parcells.

"...he's a good QB in a terrible situation..."

I have to disagree here. He's a YOUNG QB on a mediocre team. The Jets finished the season strong. "terrible" teams are picking in the top 5. That's not the Jets.

But, I agree about being in a bad situation the first half of the year. It was embarrassing how bad the OL was. But the OL did improve over the last half of the season. And I felt Darnold improved. He MOSTLY stopped making the stupid mistake. Some days were better than others but it seemed like maybe he learned that the stupid mistake loses the game.

Darnold has all the physical tools. Let's hope we see the quantum leap mentally once the Jets address their OL issues.

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

"...he's a good QB in a terrible situation..."

I have to disagree here. He's a YOUNG QB on a mediocre team. The Jets finished the season strong. "terrible" teams are picking in the top 5. That's not the Jets.

But, I agree about being in a bad situation the first half of the year. It was embarrassing how bad the OL was. But the OL did improve over the last half of the season. And I felt Darnold improved. He MOSTLY stopped making the stupid mistake. Some days were better than others but it seemed like maybe he learned that the stupid mistake loses the game.

Darnold has all the physical tools. Let's hope we see the quantum leap mentally once the Jets address their OL issues.

I think it was @bla bla bla that said in a video that we've got a historically bad offensive line - gave up 50 sacks and only managed 3.5 yards per rush.

If anything, our final record is a huge achievement for Darnold and Greg Williams - the two individuals that were most responsible for keeping us in football games last year. 

But yea, we agree, the o-line is the major problem. Fix that, and we're a different team. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

really can't wait to hear what you have to say about all the coaches and players you have trashed when this team puts it all together.

Isnt it a foundational element to the Darnold is really good crowd that the rest of the team and coaches suck?

To those demanding excellence...  this is not the place or team to find it, but you already know that. We'll be lucky to find a single brief moment of success. The only one may be '69, most of us missed it.

To those seeing the glass as half full. It's not an either or proposition. If it's half full it is also fundamentally half empty. If you've convinced yourself "this" glass is half full, pass the Kool Aid that got you there, it must be strong. I'm glad you enjoyed the late stretch of wins, 1-7 took the piss out of me, at least you enjoyed something.

Getting overly invested in it all to either perspective is a fools errand.  We don't know what we are or if we'll ever get there. All we know from the past is that this team causes pain and mental illness. Learn to love it, wear it like a badge. The likely outcome is more of the same. Enjoy.

You took the ticket, ride the ride.... Even if it's the Ball Buster.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

false.

miamis was worse last year. (more sacks fewer ypc)yet fitz outplayed sam by a mile.

I wish I knew where I heard that stat, I could be off on the exact metric used. Miami did in fact have worse statistics than us although when I tried going back further I couldn't find any any other teams recently to have those metrics so I suppose Miami could be one of the other 2

?

As for Fitz playing better than Sam, hard to really argue differently. I'd still prefer Sam to Fitz any day or the week.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:52 AM, Jetster said:

So...he thinks Sam Darnold is just in a bad situation. 

NO SH*T SHERLOCK! 

And so is Adam Gase trying to put in & execute an offensive system with a bottom 5 Oline, a rash of injuries & musical chairs at virtually every position on the Oline. 11 Oline changes. You show me a coach with a 22 year old QB playing behind a terrible Oline with a maybe #2 WR playing as a 1 with a defense with no pass rush & no #1 CB & I'll show you a struggling Team. 

The criticism Gase got was ridiculous. Let's judge him when Joe Douglas rounds out this team. I think Gase held this team together under very trying circumstances. 

It was well deserved  criticism.  You are just unwilling to see it. But the rest of the league and world did. My number 1 fear is Gase misuses the players again this year to fit his trash system. If he does we will have to wait until darnold plays the titans to see him play well

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

As for Fitz playing better than Sam, hard to really argue differently. I'd still prefer Sam to Fitz any day or the week.

i'd prefer the qb for the Jets to be an IMPROVEMENT on Fitz.

whoever that may be. 

in 98 and 2015, i kept waiting for the qb to **** up...  Vinny outlasted Fitz.  but those 2 years rep the peak of Jet qbing for 25 years.

******* crime.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i'd prefer the qb for the Jets to be an IMPROVEMENT on Fitz.

whoever that may be. 

in 98 and 2015, i kept waiting for the qb to **** up...  Vinny outlasted Fitz.  but those 2 years rep the peak of Jet qbing for 25 years.

******* crime.

Our franchise records are a joke haha I'm 100% confident Sam will break all our records. Last year may have been the worst case scenario for our offense between the 10 years of neglect on the OL, the injuries, and Sam's mono.

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

false.

miamis was worse last year. (more sacks fewer ypc)yet fitz outplayed sam by a mile.

Maybe Miami’s was worse. 

Fitz also has a decade and a half playing in the NFL.

Btw, Fitz has 500 more yards and 1 more touchdown and played two more games (didn’t have mono lol).

Completion %’s within 0.1 too. 

Do I get to start my post with “False” now too? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It was well deserved  criticism.  You are just unwilling to see it. But the rest of the league and world did. My number 1 fear is Gase misuses the players again this year to fit his trash system. If he does we will have to wait until darnold plays the titans to see him play well

Yea because having a bottom 3 Oline with 11 position changes is the optimum situation to install any new offense...……...GTFOOH!

7 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Maybe Miami’s was worse. 

Fitz also has a decade and a half playing in the NFL.

Btw, Fitz has 500 more yards and 1 more touchdown and played two more games (didn’t have mono lol).

Completion %’s within 0.1 too. 

Do I get to start my post with “False” now too? 

the contention that our line was historically bad was what i meant about false. how historically bad can it be if at least 1 team, the same season is worse?

• Upvote 1