Jeremiah on Joe and Evan

Says with the incredible depth of the WR's in this draft, we should protect Sam at all costs and go OT @11, and get a WR in 2nd. Will be shocked if Tua isn't either a Dolphin or Charger in Rd 1. Says Dolphins have a pretty equal grade on Herbert, so if somebody trades up in front of them for Tua they will just take Herbert. Thinks we will not keep Robby. But the thing that made the interview for me was a comment he made about Sam. They were asking him about Burrow, what his ceiling is, etc. DJ thinks he'll be a top 10-12 QB in the league, incredibly accurate but not a really strong arm. Mentioned he was watching Burrow work out with Sam and Josh Allen, says Allen's arm strength is off the charts, but then said that Darnold's arm is way stronger than Burrow's is.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Says with the incredible depth of the WR's in this draft, we should protect Sam at all costs and go OT @11, and get a WR in 2nd. Will be shocked if Tua isn't either a Dolphin or Charger in Rd 1. Says Dolphins have a pretty equal grade on Herbert, so if somebody trades up in front of them for Tua they will just take Herbert. Thinks we will not keep Robby. But the thing that made the interview for me was a comment he made about Sam. They were asking him about Burrow, what his ceiling is, etc. DJ thinks he'll be a top 10-12 QB in the league, incredibly accurate but not a really strong arm. Mentioned he was watching Burrow work out with Sam and Josh Allen, says Allen's arm strength is off the charts, but then said that Darnold's arm is way stronger than Burrow's is.

That's funny, because three days ago he thought we should draft CJ Henderson, and he had the Chargers taking Becton.  hmmm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104933/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-20-patriots-take-herbert

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

That's funny, because three days ago he thought we should draft CJ Henderson, and he had the Chargers taking Becton.  hmmm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104933/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-20-patriots-take-herbert

I was thinking that, too. Wish I was a twitter guy and could have tweeted Evan to call him on it. DJ is really a good listen, though.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I liked two things he said: that Tua and Herbert seem to be locks to go top 10, and that all four tackles are top tier players, so even if Wirfs, Thomas, and Becton go flying off the board, Jedrick Wills isn’t that much of a drop off talent-wise.

Also....seems to love Simmons.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To be fair, CB1 is as much a need as left tackle right now. 

In the last four years of the draft, the first round has produced 4 LTs (Decker, Stanley, Bolles and K. Miller) and 3 maybe LTs (Isaiah Wynn, Dillard, and Jonah Williams) and 2 RTs (Conklin, McGlinchey) and 2 maybe RTs (Ifedi and Tytus Howard).  Ts are not easy to find. 

If the Jets think they can draft someone they can pay $5mm/year for 4 years to play T decently well, particularly LT, they should do that.  They don't grow on trees.  I would not undercount Josh Jones.  He looks the part better than Thomas does.   

I would like to see the deep dive comparing Andrew Thomas, Josh Jones and Wills to some of the guys mentioned above who were drafted before them.  

If Wills is supposed to be a G, take the All Pro WR.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Even Ryan Clark who was a notorious Gase/Jets/Darnold hater went out of his way to say that in warm ups before Giants game Darnold blew him away next to Daniel Jones. 

I've heard people on WFAN say that they think Jones has better upside than Darnold.  I guess I haven't seen that much of Jones but I still think people are sleeping on Darnold.  Let's see what people have to say after this coming year.

Sam was the youngest starting QB in league history 2 years ago.  He also has had no protection and only mediocre weapons.  Hopefully JD will load up on OL and WR in the draft (not to mention more OL in FA) to give Sam the support he needs. 

I remain as optimistic as ever on Darnold.  And if Brady signs with a team outside the division then there's no reason why we won't have the best QB in the division this coming year.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've heard people on WFAN say that they think Jones has better upside than Darnold.  I guess I haven't seen that much of Jones but I still think people are sleeping on Darnold.  Let's see what people have to say after this coming year.

Sam was the youngest starting QB in league history 2 years ago.  He also has had no protection and only mediocre weapons.  Hopefully JD will load up on OL and WR in the draft (not to mention more OL in FA) to give Sam the support he needs. 

I remain as optimistic as ever on Darnold.  And if Brady signs with a team outside the division then there's no reason why we won't have the best QB in the division this coming year.

They also employ Maggie Gray and Joe Benigno, so definitely take it with a huge grain of Salt. Plus, they broadcast the Giants games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

They also employ Maggie Gray and Joe Benigno, so definitely take it with a huge grain of Salt. Plus, they broadcast the Giants games.

I like Benigno but he definitely does overreact.  He is entertaining though.

Maggie Gray is unlistenable.  So was Bart Scott but apparently ESPN loves him and hired him away.  But then again, they also put together the worst MNF announcers (not to mention Sunday Night Baseball announcers) that you could ever ask for so what do they know!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maggie Gray is unlistenable.  So was Bart Scott but apparently ESPN loves him and hired him away.  But then again, they also put together the worst MNF announcers (not to mention Sunday Night Baseball announcers) that you could ever ask for so what do they know!

Al I can say is they better be paying Moose a small fortune to sit there 4 hours a day. And an unlimited expense account at his liquor store of choice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

That's why you should never take these mock drafts seriously. And if you don't like this one there will be another one coming soon. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wait. What? Bart Scott’s not on WFAN anymore? I know they rearranged some time slots so the timing of the shows changed from when I’m in the car- but I didn’t hear that. How long ago was that? 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maggie is beyond bad. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Wait. What? Bart Scott’s not on WFAN anymore? I know they rearranged some time slots so the timing of the shows changed from when I’m in the car- but I didn’t hear that. How long ago was that? 

I can't say for sure but I think ESPN did end up signing him a few months ago (I'm guessing that's why there's a Moose/Maggie show)

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Ohio State kid falls could end up seeing him being the guy at 11. 

He'll never fall to 11. One of the best CB prospects I've ever seen. He's so good he plays the QB instead of the WR.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Interesting hearing DJ say that Cleveland is rumored to be going after Conklin, which could take them out of the OT market in the draft.

I predict that 3 of 4 of Becton, Wills, Thomas and Josh Jones will be available to the Jets at 11.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RobR said:

He'll never fall to 11. One of the best CB prospects I've ever seen. He's so good he plays the QB instead of the WR.

Leonard Williams was never supposed to be there at 6 either. If all the QB’s go and all the tackles go, with a receiver mixed in...it’s certainly possible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Interesting hearing DJ say that Cleveland is rumored to be going after Conklin, which could take them out of the OT market in the draft.

I am also hearing that Cleveland could be interested in Trent Williams or Jason Peters.  Would love to see them and maybe another team in the top 10 solve for OT in free agency or trade.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am also hearing that Cleveland could be interested in Trent Williams or Jason Peters.  Would love to see them and maybe another team in the top 10 solve for OT in free agency or trade.

The Browns need a lot of help at OL - same as we do. One FA probably isn't going to change their plan unless a Simmons or Okaduh somehow fall.

Their other top needs are LB, CB and/or SS

***patiently waiting for @Philc1 to chime in they need a QB also...***

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I liked two things he said: that Tua and Herbert seem to be locks to go top 10, and that all four tackles are top tier players, so even if Wirfs, Thomas, and Becton go flying off the board, Jedrick Wills isn’t that much of a drop off talent-wise.

That’s a good question perhaps draft heads and college football fans can clear up for us:

Is the fourth rated OT in this year’s draft roughly the equivalent of a top 15 pick in most other years?

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I thought Maggie, Bart and Carlin were terrible for afternoons, but that they would have made a good morning show.  I have hated WFAN's morning shows from the jump.  When Imus got fired i was optimistic, then the Normie & Chime Time hire dashed my hopes.

Couple weeks ago i heard Maggie admonish a caller for using the "Cowgirls" nickname for the Dallas franchise.  After that i only listen middays if i cant find a decent pro wrestling or comedian podcast.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

I thought Maggie, Bart and Carlin were terrible for afternoons, but that they would have made a good morning show.  I have hated WFAN's morning shows from the jump.  When Imus got fired i was optimistic, then the Normie & Chime Time hire dashed my hopes.

Couple weeks ago i heard Maggie admonish a caller for using the "Cowgirls" nickname for the Dallas franchise.  After that i only listen middays if i cant find a decent pro wrestling or comedian podcast.  

Very interesting point.  I hated their “drive time” show but I could totally see it working in the morning.  And I also have never been a fan of their morning shows. Carton was annoying (trying to be Stern).  Boomer is overrated (but I feel like he has an inflated ego from the NFL talking about him as a potential announcer). Gio is not very good (though I do find him to be kind of likable).  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Don't know about that. Doesn't Cleveland need 2 Tackles (left and right)?

Even if we sign Conklin, I still want a LT in the 1st round.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Very interesting point.  I hated their “drive time” show but I could totally see it working in the morning.  And I also have never been a fan of their morning shows. Carton was annoying (trying to be Stern).  Boomer is overrated (but I feel like he has an inflated ego from the NFL talking about him as a potential announcer). Gio is not very good (though I do find him to be kind of likable).  

Normie and Chime Time reminded me of the Miserable Men show on Stern's Sirius channel, everyone fawning all over each other.  Douche chills.