Quinnen Williams arrested for gun possession at JFK. (Update: Confirmed)

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My honest guess is that he pleads down to a misdemeanor charge and pays a fine of $5000.

I just saw this, otherwise I'd have quoted it with my other reply to you.

Can you explain this post above?

Are you an attorney, or familiar with these types of cases and how they're handled, or is this just as you said, "an honest guess"? Because this happened in an airport, is it a federal offense, or does the Port Police send it to the NY DA's office?

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Can you explain this? Are you an attorney, or familiar with these types of cases and how they're handled, or is this just as you said, "an honest guess"? Because this happened in an airport, is it a federal offense, or does the Port Police send it to the NY DA's office?

It goes to the Queen's district attorneys office according to pft

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/06/reports-quinnen-williams-arrested-at-laguardia-airport-for-unlawful-weapons-possession/

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Can you explain this? Are you an attorney, or familiar with these types of cases and how they're handled, or is this just as you said, "an honest guess"? Because this happened in an airport, is it a federal offense, or does the Port Police send it to the NY DA's office?

500 fine lol ? used to be 1 year mandatory jail time - no parole - no bargaining - jail. That law has made NY much safer. And now that he’s more than likely going to do some time, the inventory at McDonalds is now secure.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How dumb are you to carry a gun into an airport especially one in NY. 

I think it’s actually a Federal charge in an Airport....much stricter.

Was hoping he’d spend his offseason lifting, but most likely I thought he’d be watching cartoons.

He wasn’t even born AFTER 9/11 so he can’t use that as an excuse. 

”Ma...cag....nan” as in “Co....stanza”

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

500 fine lol ? used to be 1 year mandatory jail time - no parole - no bargaining - jail. That law has made NY much safer. And now that he’s more than likely going to do some time, the inventory at McDonalds is now secure.

I highly doubt he's going to do time.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

From TSA site

q4HvzhH.jpg

Serious question.

The TSA is the Feds right? This refers to their sentencing guidelines, but the State of NY has their own separate gun laws, and would prosecute him under those, no?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Serious question.

The TSA is the Feds right? This refers to their sentencing guidelines, but the State of NY has their own separate gun laws, and would prosecute him under those, no?

I believe TSA just fines you and refers you to local polices/DA for criminal prosecution.

From watching the video on the page i linked, people usually get pinched leaving NYC, when they declare the weapon.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DirtyJersey said:

This page has a Stossel(?) video on it of people w/ similar arrests.  Says it is a felony w/ 3.5-7yr sentence.  Both people allowed to plea down to Public Disorder, but cost them $15k in attorneys.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/new-york-gun-laws/

Quinnen's gonna have to study a lot more YouTube videos to make up the cash he's about to drop on lawyers.

He's really lucky he can afford that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Quinnen's gonna have to study a lot more YouTube videos to make up the cash he's about to drop on lawyers.

He's really lucky he can afford that.

His baller status will jack up the attorney fees.  

After reviewing those sites, i think he will lose more in game checks than to courts and attorneys.  My guess is 6 game ding so they can drop it to 4 on appeal.

Interesting note, if you have ammo in vicinity of the gun, NYC considers the gun loaded.  So if you had empty gun, empty clip and a box of ammo all locked in the same case, the gun is loaded by law in NYC.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

His baller status will jack up the attorney fees.  

After reviewing those sites, i think he will lose more in game checks than to courts and attorneys.  My guess is 6 game ding so they can drop it to 4 on appeal.

Interesting note, if you have ammo in vicinity of the gun, NYC considers the gun loaded.  So if you had empty gun, empty clip and a box of ammo all locked in the same case, the gun is loaded by law in NYC.  

Plaxico got 4 and his gun went off..

I think 2 games is the max he'll get. Either way, he's a stone cold moron.

• Upvote 3

From 2013.  Not every case is the same and the law might be different now, but kinda similar and he wasn't suspended any games I don't think by the NFL:

Gun charges against Da'Quan Bowers reduced

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers against the Philadelphia Eagles prior to the game at Raymond James Stadium in December.

Though the law in New York can be strict when it comes to gun possession, Da'Quan Bowers found out Thursday there is sometimes room for leniency.

A judge dropped charges of felony second-degree possession of a weapon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive end to a charge of disorderly conduct, a violation that carries no jail time or probation, Bowers' lawyer Dennis Coppin told USA TODAY Sports.

Bowers paid a $250 fine and $120 surcharge. The case is "sealed upon payment" and there will be no further penalties for the former second-round pick, Coppin said.

Shortly after the decision was tweeted by USA TODAY Sports on Thursday, Bowers tweeted: "I appreciate my LOYAL fans. I see and read each and every tweet yours are appreciated!"

Bowers was arrested in February when he alerted LaGuardia Airport employees he had a gun in his bag while checking in for a flight out of New York. Bowers received the same charges as Plaxico Burress, who accidentally discharged his gun in a Manhattan night club and served nearly two years in prison.

Apparently, the Queens District Attorney's office saw Bowers' handling of his situation much differently.

"(Da'Quan is) very happy, and honestly the Queens County District Attorney's office investigated the case thoroughly and he was honest when he had the gun," Coppin said. "He turned it over to the first gate agent he saw. He did the right thing, and they did the right thing in their investigation."

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

From 2013.  Not every case is the same and the law might be different now, but kinda similar and he wasn't suspended any games I don't think by the NFL:

Gun charges against Da'Quan Bowers reduced

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers against the Philadelphia Eagles prior to the game at Raymond James Stadium in December.

Though the law in New York can be strict when it comes to gun possession, Da'Quan Bowers found out Thursday there is sometimes room for leniency.

A judge dropped charges of felony second-degree possession of a weapon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive end to a charge of disorderly conduct, a violation that carries no jail time or probation, Bowers' lawyer Dennis Coppin told USA TODAY Sports.

Bowers paid a $250 fine and $120 surcharge. The case is "sealed upon payment" and there will be no further penalties for the former second-round pick, Coppin said.

Shortly after the decision was tweeted by USA TODAY Sports on Thursday, Bowers tweeted: "I appreciate my LOYAL fans. I see and read each and every tweet yours are appreciated!"

Bowers was arrested in February when he alerted LaGuardia Airport employees he had a gun in his bag while checking in for a flight out of New York. Bowers received the same charges as Plaxico Burress, who accidentally discharged his gun in a Manhattan night club and served nearly two years in prison.

Apparently, the Queens District Attorney's office saw Bowers' handling of his situation much differently.

"(Da'Quan is) very happy, and honestly the Queens County District Attorney's office investigated the case thoroughly and he was honest when he had the gun," Coppin said. "He turned it over to the first gate agent he saw. He did the right thing, and they did the right thing in their investigation."

Thats the thing, these people seem to get nailed when they follow TSA rules and declare their weapon in order to check it in, oblivious to NYC's ultra restrictive gun laws.

Under Bloomberg it was horrible to just legally own a firearm in NYC, not even carry.  I knew someone who lived in NYC and shot competition trap w/ custom shotguns worth upwards of $20k each.  When his renewal was coming due, he would leave his shotguns with friends or relatives out of state, because they always held it up.  If it was lapsed, they could show up and confiscate.  Few months of being bounced around an evidence locker would turn a $20k shotgun to junk.

Stupid mistake by a 22 year old.  What will get lost in all the "outrage"
and jokes is he did have a license for the gun, unfortunately in Alabama.
He didn't get one for NY/NJ and now he'll get smacked with a fine

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

Stupid mistake by a 22 year old.  What will get lost in all the "outrage"
and jokes is he did have a license for the gun, unfortunately in Alabama.
He didn't get one for NY/NJ and now he'll get smacked with a fine

Only problem is that when you take your conceal classes they tell you what states you can carry in.

Some states are a lot more strict than others.

For example, my Illinois conceal permit is legal in almost every state east of Kansas except Florida and NY.

But someone from Wisconsin cannot legal carry in Illinois even though I can carry there. 

It's all explained to you, not to mention airports are next level security and you should research before going there.

It was a VERY stupid move especially by someone that has a permit and took the class.

* Although they might not have to take classes in Bama. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I think it’s actually a Federal charge in an Airport....much stricter.

Was hoping he’d spend his offseason lifting, but most likely I thought he’d be watching cartoons.

He wasn’t even born AFTER 9/11 so he can’t use that as an excuse. 

”Ma...cag....nan” as in “Co....stanza”

TSA is federal law but you travel through New York City to get to the airport or through New York City when you leave the airport. It’s not like he had a connecting flight and he never touched his luggage while in New York City.

He also didn’t follow TSA laws so he’s screwed either way.