Quinnen Williams arrested for gun possession at JFK. (Update: Confirmed)

4 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

From 2013.  Not every case is the same and the law might be different now, but kinda similar and he wasn't suspended any games I don't think by the NFL:

Gun charges against Da'Quan Bowers reduced

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers against the Philadelphia Eagles prior to the game at Raymond James Stadium in December.

Though the law in New York can be strict when it comes to gun possession, Da'Quan Bowers found out Thursday there is sometimes room for leniency.

A judge dropped charges of felony second-degree possession of a weapon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive end to a charge of disorderly conduct, a violation that carries no jail time or probation, Bowers' lawyer Dennis Coppin told USA TODAY Sports.

Bowers paid a $250 fine and $120 surcharge. The case is "sealed upon payment" and there will be no further penalties for the former second-round pick, Coppin said.

Shortly after the decision was tweeted by USA TODAY Sports on Thursday, Bowers tweeted: "I appreciate my LOYAL fans. I see and read each and every tweet yours are appreciated!"

Bowers was arrested in February when he alerted LaGuardia Airport employees he had a gun in his bag while checking in for a flight out of New York. Bowers received the same charges as Plaxico Burress, who accidentally discharged his gun in a Manhattan night club and served nearly two years in prison.

Apparently, the Queens District Attorney's office saw Bowers' handling of his situation much differently.

"(Da'Quan is) very happy, and honestly the Queens County District Attorney's office investigated the case thoroughly and he was honest when he had the gun," Coppin said. "He turned it over to the first gate agent he saw. He did the right thing, and they did the right thing in their investigation."

FWIW, he was not suspended by the NFL for this situation.  Although he did get popped for PEDs earlier 

16 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Maybe he thought the gun would protect him from the coronavirus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Girl sitting next to me right now is just back from Italy. Might hit her with my car and play it off as an accident to be safe.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You cannot be this ******* stupid. 

I mean he’s had the deer in headlights look since he’s gotten here. He’s from small town Alabama like Milliner was and both were just not even remotely ready to be professional football players. Maccagnan was such an epic disaster.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean he’s had the deer in headlights look since he’s gotten here. He’s from small town Alabama like Milliner was and were just not even remotely ready to be professional football players. Maccagnan was such an epic disaster.

Funny no one seems very keen to hire him. His resume gets worse by the day..

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, King P said:

Randy Orton Reaction GIF by WWE

Jeez, how ******* stupid can you be to carry a gun around in NYC ??‍♂️

And if the jets do not cover the subject of gun laws in NY and NJ with draftees and free agent signees, they are stupider than we thought. For now, I will presume they do and that Q is as dumb as a box of rocks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Only problem is that when you take your conceal classes they tell you what states you can carry in.

Some states are a lot more strict than others.

For example, my Illinois conceal permit is legal in almost every state east of Kansas except Florida and NY.

But someone from Wisconsin cannot legal carry in Illinois even though I can carry there. 

It's all explained to you, not to mention airports are next level security and you should research before going there.

It was a VERY stupid move especially by someone that has a permit and took the class.

* Although they might not have to take classes in Bama. 

Let’s face it.  Very few of these guys were valedictorians.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Meh I’m ok with this. (1) a 22 year old goofball doesn’t require a gun in nyc or anywhere, (2) this will essentially be a wash as his absence will have an almost negligible impact on the Jets season (3) raise awareness for gun laws in nyc so less people stupidly walk around with them.

The reports say "trying to board an airplane", but that could be sensationalized. Do we have clarity on what that means exactly?

Was he trying to check it at the counter in some kind of travel case and just didn't have a NY permit?

Or did he try and go through the detector with it concealed / just toss it in one of those bins like it was a cell phone

Seems to me there's varying levels of dumb here.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

From 2013.  Not every case is the same and the law might be different now, but kinda similar and he wasn't suspended any games I don't think by the NFL:

Gun charges against Da'Quan Bowers reduced

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers against the Philadelphia Eagles prior to the game at Raymond James Stadium in December.

Though the law in New York can be strict when it comes to gun possession, Da'Quan Bowers found out Thursday there is sometimes room for leniency.

A judge dropped charges of felony second-degree possession of a weapon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive end to a charge of disorderly conduct, a violation that carries no jail time or probation, Bowers' lawyer Dennis Coppin told USA TODAY Sports.

Bowers paid a $250 fine and $120 surcharge. The case is "sealed upon payment" and there will be no further penalties for the former second-round pick, Coppin said.

Shortly after the decision was tweeted by USA TODAY Sports on Thursday, Bowers tweeted: "I appreciate my LOYAL fans. I see and read each and every tweet yours are appreciated!"

Bowers was arrested in February when he alerted LaGuardia Airport employees he had a gun in his bag while checking in for a flight out of New York. Bowers received the same charges as Plaxico Burress, who accidentally discharged his gun in a Manhattan night club and served nearly two years in prison.

Apparently, the Queens District Attorney's office saw Bowers' handling of his situation much differently.

"(Da'Quan is) very happy, and honestly the Queens County District Attorney's office investigated the case thoroughly and he was honest when he had the gun," Coppin said. "He turned it over to the first gate agent he saw. He did the right thing, and they did the right thing in their investigation."

Wow, some teams have loyal fans who appreciate players and don't immediately throw them under the bus or want to cut them from the team! People make mistakes, however unfortunate or ignorant but can we wait for the entire story to be told before we tar and feather anyone?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Meh I’m ok with this. (1) a 22 year old goofball doesn’t require a gun in nyc or anywhere, (2) this will essentially be a wash as his absence will have an almost negligible impact on the Jets season (3) raise awareness for gun laws in nyc so less people stupidly walk around with them.

Seriously giving up on him already?

I'm pretty low on the guy, so I kinda get it, but not ready to call him a complete waste just yet.

• Upvote 1

“I’m gonna try and sneak this gun on to that plane” has never been a fleeting thought in a lifetime of stupid thoughts I’ve had. It’s almost impressive in the scope of the stupidity It would require to perform this act.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

“I’m gonna try and sneak this gun on to that plane” has never been a fleeting thought in a lifetime of stupid thoughts I’ve had. It’s almost impressive in the scope of the stupidity It would require to perform this act.

how about edibles lol

• Haha 4

Just now, T0mShane said:

The excuse always is "I forgot I had it in my luggage".

And exactly how do you forget where you have any firearm? Those are exactly the people that should not be allowed to carry.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

in my experience most arrests at airports are due to the passenger improperly declaring or securing the weapon.  most jobs like this are due to that, not attempting to board an aircraft with a weapon.  i'm never shocked if it is the opposite though.

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Seriously giving up on him already?

I'm pretty low on the guy, so I kinda get it, but not ready to call him a complete waste just yet.

I hated him as a prospect almost as much as I hated Gase as a candidate. Of course we get both. 

Not ready to give up on him yet, but I don’t believe he’ll be anything more than a low-level rotational player for us next season, so yea, essentially it’s a wash. If he showed progress in the weight room and in practices and as he grew up a little more, I think he might turn into an overpaid solid role player, but that’s years 3 and 4, similar to Leo. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This seems to be a bad error in judgement on Williams part, and an overreaction by us fans.  Both can be true.  I'm sure the fact that he was a large disappointment on the field this year is fueling a bit of this outrage.

Q: Do you think complete idiocy and clear underperformance are mutually exclusive - or do these things go hand in hand? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Any word on whether it was loaded? If it’s not loaded he’s probably just going to get a misd with a fine. If it is loaded, he’s in bad shape.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

NYC considers a weapon loaded if the ammo is in the vicinity.  Like empty gun, empty magazine and a box of ammo locked in a case, then it is loaded.

Thanks, Mike!

Williams did not play goalline packages regularly. For a 1st round DT pick, that's disgraceful. You could sign Snacks today to fill his role for a fraction of what this dolt makes. 

In addition to this guy not being Hali Ngata nor Arnold Donald on Day 1(he wasn't, in fact he was barely average), he's clearly dumber than a box of rocks. 

Again, thanks, Mike!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This seems to be a bad error in judgement on Williams part, and an overreaction by us fans.  Both can be true.  I'm sure the fact that he was a large disappointment on the field this year is fueling a bit of this outrage.

Bingo!!!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hated him as a prospect almost as much as I hated Gase as a candidate. Of course we get both. 

Not ready to give up on him yet, but I don’t believe he’ll be anything more than a low-level rotational player for us next season, so yea, essentially it’s a wash. If he showed progress in the weight room and in practices and as he grew up a little more, I think he might turn into an overpaid solid role player, but that’s years 3 and 4, similar to Leo. 

I hated the pick too but he had good technique and a decent bit more athleticism than Leo to start with and doesn't appear to have been a gym rat. It seems like the upside arguments have some merit here