Possibilities of coronavirus affecting the Draft in Vegas...

jetsons

I just posted an article of how a Seattle XFL Stadium employee tested positive for the coronavirus... who knows what the NFL may do next month to protect the public... They would obviously still hold the draft but they may change the venue site to limit the amount of people who can attend.

13 hours ago, jetsons said:

I just posted an article of how a Seattle XFL Stadium employee tested positive for the coronavirus... who knows what the NFL may do next month to protect the public... They would obviously still hold the draft but they may change the venue site to limit the amount of people who can attend.

Just the players the new england patriots draft lol 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/coronavirus-outbreak-ncaa-division-iii-tournament-without-fans

Coronavirus outbreak forces NCAA Division III Tournament games at Johns Hopkins to be played without fans

Three confirmed coronavirus cases in Maryland put Johns Hopkins University on alert Thursday, a day before two NCAA Division III Tournament games were scheduled.

The school said that the games between Johns Hopkins and Penn State-Harrisburg, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Yeshiva University on March 6, as well as the second-round game set to be played March 7, will all be played in an empty stadium because of the virus.

“In light of Maryland's recently confirmed cases of COVID-19, and based on CDC guidance for large gatherings, we have determined that it is prudent to hold this tournament without spectators,” the school wrote on its website.

“We are not making any determination about other JHU events at this time; while we await further guidance from public health authorities, we will be assessing large events on a case-by-case basis. We regret any inconvenience to the families and fans of the players.”

A student at Yeshiva University also tested positive for COVID-19. The student was not a part of the basketball team but the team's reservations at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Pikesville, Md., were canceled.

Millennials are the generation most worried about coronavirusV

“I made it very clear to the hotel that it’s discrimination,” Yeshiva coach Elliot Steinmetz said. “I basically said to them: ‘Do you have a checkbox on your website that says that you’ve been in an area with suspected coronavirus?’ And they said no. So I said: ‘Is it just for the guests of Yeshiva University?’ And they said yes. I told them that that’s called discrimination.”

The hotel hasn’t commented on the situation. A spokeswoman for Hilton told The Associated Press that the Pikesville hotel is independently operated.

It’s the first real test of any kind for March Madness-type events; NCAA officials are trying to form a plan for a possible future pandemic. The NCAA Men’s Division I Tournament, which is played in front of thousands at several different sites, tips off March 17 and 18 with the First Four at the University of Dayton in Ohio.

So far, officials have insisted that games be played with fans as they monitor the situation.

I have tickets for NCAA first round games in Omaha.  Planning on going with my son.  His wife is pregnant with their first child (and my first grandchild). I am going to talk to him this weekend - not sure it makes sense for us to spend a day in an arena full of people, especially in a city that has a treatment facility for Corona, and then for him to go home to his pregnant wife.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have tickets for NCAA first round games in Omaha.  Planning on going with my son.  His wife is pregnant with their first child (and my first grandchild). I am going to talk to him this weekend - not sure it makes sense for us to spend a day in an arena full of people, especially in a city that has a treatment facility for Corona, and then for him to go home to his pregnant wife.

That’s probably the smart move.   My company has cancelled all our trips for the next 4 months right now, and possibly more depending on how this thing evolves.  So my San Diego trip that I was trying to parlay into the Vegas draft trip is now all messed up.  

Conference in Vegas I was going to in two weeks has been cancelled/postponed until July (and not sure it happens then either but I think the conference company wants to hold onto all the deposits and not issue refunds so they've called it "postponed")

I'll update our "Who's going to Vegas...?" thread in the next few weeks as we see how this thing continues to spread or hopefully diminish.  Holding onto my hotel room now but not booking a flight yet.

Anytime outbreaks like this occur that seems to have serious potential I've learned that it's best that I begin fasting. Strengthen my cells and the immune system. Viruses, including Corona will have a hard time if my body is in an autophagy state and my cells are recycling and attacking bacteria, viruses or other foreign things, using them as fuel and my immune system is in top shape.

The best way to protect yourself is to be healthy. Now is the perfect opportunity to start given that we're not currently dealing with some sort of epidemic or pandemic. The folks most susceptible would be folks who are sick or have compromised immune systems, if things do get real. 

Also, keep in mind that Corona attacks the respiratory system. I'd stop smoking if I were a smoker and start looking into things like organic Elderberry or Mullein which clears out mucus in the lungs and jump starts the lymphatic system within the chest and neck. In other words, I'd try to get healthy immediately if I felt like this was more than just propaganda. 

Staying indoors and avoiding the public wont matter if you're not healthy. If this virus becomes something like the black plague or spanish flu, it'll only be a matter of time if your body is vulnerable. Anyone who looks into history regarding things like this, the folks who mostly died were folks who were either malnourished or their immune systems were compromised. 

This isnt advice or anything, I'm just speaking my mind given that unlike Sars or the last flu that was going to be the "big one", normal everyday folk really do seem to be concerned about what's going on. Getting healthy is the best protection. 

Fasting in order to reset your immune system and clean out your body on a cellular level is like making an old car new again. Our bodies are pretty incredible in that way. 

Be safe guys. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-washington-university-stanford-close-online-classes

Major universities close classrooms amid coronavirus outbreak

The first major American universities to close classroom doors in response to the coronavirus outbreak are happening in California and Washington, the state with the most deaths from COVID-19.

The University of Washington informed its 55,000 students Friday that it was shutting down in-person classes and finals starting Monday as it also announced a staff member "who works in the Roosevelt Commons East building" tested positive for the virus and is in "self-isolation at home," according to UW News.

In a similar move, Stanford University, in the heart of Silicon Valley in Palo Alto, moved from in-person classes to online where possible after two students are in self-isolation due to "possible exposure" to the virus, Provost Persis Drell wrote to students Friday.

While dining halls, dorms, and athletic facilities remain open, UW's in-person classes will be closed through the end of the quarter, March 20, across all three campuses: Bothell, Tacoma, and Seattle, the city where the first death from the virus occurred.

"We plan to resume normal class operations when spring quarter begins March 30, pending public health guidance," UW President Ana Mari Cauce wrote to students.

She thanked students for resisting panic after 28,000 signed a Change.org petition calling for UW to close its Seattle campus.

"The novel coronavirus is not the first challenge this region, or our university, has faced," Cauce urged. "It will not be the last. In its 158-year history, the UW has endured two world wars, a depression and other crises that have tested our resilience and our compassion."

Similarly, Seattle University and Lake Washington Institute of Technology, located outside Seattle, both announced they are moving to virtual classes as well. On Thursday, Everett Community, outside Seattle, closed and its president announced a student tested positive for the virus.

In New York, Yeshiva University’s president announced Wednesday that a student had tested positive for Covid-19 and classes would be canceled at their Washington Heights and Midtown Campuses until after March 10.

Colleges and universities were first faced with the coronavirus overseas, closing campuses and study-abroad programs, but now that the virus is spreading in the states, the Evergreen State is taking the brunt of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, with 79 of the country's 253 confirmed coronavirus cases and 13 deaths, with another in California and two in Florida.

Jean E. Chin, who leads an American College Health Association task force on coronavirus, said campuses are especially vulnerable for the communal living.

“We all know how college students are,” Chin told the Washington Post. “They share stuff. They share secretions. They share drinks. They share phones. They share stuff.”

With spring break season approaching, university officials are preparing for measures that may require mass student quarantines and tracking students' travel plans.

23 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Anytime outbreaks like this occur that seems to have serious potential I've learned that it's best that I begin fasting. Strengthen my cells and the immune system. Viruses, including Corona will have a hard time if my body is in an autophagy state and my cells are recycling and attacking bacteria, viruses or other foreign things, using them as fuel and my immune system is in top shape.

The best way to protect yourself is to be healthy. Now is the perfect opportunity to start given that we're not currently dealing with some sort of epidemic or pandemic. The folks most susceptible would be folks who are sick or have compromised immune systems, if things do get real. 

Also, keep in mind that Corona attacks the respiratory system. I'd stop smoking if I were a smoker and start looking into things like organic Elderberry or Mullein which clears out mucus in the lungs and jump starts the lymphatic system within the chest and neck. In other words, I'd try to get healthy immediately if I felt like this was more than just propaganda. 

Staying indoors and avoiding the public wont matter if you're not healthy. If this virus becomes something like the black plague or spanish flu, it'll only be a matter of time if your body is vulnerable. Anyone who looks into history regarding things like this, the folks who mostly died were folks who were either malnourished or their immune systems were compromised. 

This isnt advice or anything, I'm just speaking my mind given that unlike Sars or the last flu that was going to be the "big one", normal everyday folk really do seem to be concerned about what's going on. Getting healthy is the best protection. 

Fasting in order to reset your immune system and clean out your body on a cellular level is like making an old car new again. Our bodies are pretty incredible in that way. 

Be safe guys. 

Much respect good points. Trying to stop smoking after having giving it up for 18 years I start again been smoking a year really need to stop. Also I lost 45 pounds through intermittent fasting Kino body check it out on YouTube . Takes a lot of discipline but it does work. Also taking zinc every day is a good deterrent for respiratory illness and preventive measure

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Much respect good points. Trying to stop smoking after having giving it up for 18 years I start again been smoking a year really need to stop. Also I lost 45 pounds through intermittent fasting Kino body check it out on YouTube . Takes a lot of discipline but it does work. Also taking zinc every day is a good deterrent for respiratory illness and preventive measure

I know what it's like to try and kick that habit. I stopped smoking 2 years ago. I must have tried 1000x before I finally did it. The wife was 6 months pregnant and knew that if I never want my child to smoke then I cant smoke. I stopped then. 

I've heard of the keto diet. Im not big on dietting but I've done a water fast in the past drinking only distilled water with seamoss and chlorophyll. The first 3 days I would kill for some food. By day 4 I was good. The longest I've ever done was a week. Some folks go 20-30 days. 

If you consider something like that, make sure to either buy seamoss or electrolyte salt because you'll be pissing alot and losing alot of electrolytes. Folks who dont do that end up running into problems because they're not properly replenishing their sodium. 

Definitely quit the smoking though. If this thing does get out of control...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jetsons said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-washington-university-stanford-close-online-classes

Major universities close classrooms amid coronavirus outbreak

The first major American universities to close classroom doors in response to the coronavirus outbreak are happening in California and Washington, the state with the most deaths from COVID-19.

The University of Washington informed its 55,000 students Friday that it was shutting down in-person classes and finals starting Monday as it also announced a staff member "who works in the Roosevelt Commons East building" tested positive for the virus and is in "self-isolation at home," according to UW News.

In a similar move, Stanford University, in the heart of Silicon Valley in Palo Alto, moved from in-person classes to online where possible after two students are in self-isolation due to "possible exposure" to the virus, Provost Persis Drell wrote to students Friday.

While dining halls, dorms, and athletic facilities remain open, UW's in-person classes will be closed through the end of the quarter, March 20, across all three campuses: Bothell, Tacoma, and Seattle, the city where the first death from the virus occurred.

"We plan to resume normal class operations when spring quarter begins March 30, pending public health guidance," UW President Ana Mari Cauce wrote to students.

She thanked students for resisting panic after 28,000 signed a Change.org petition calling for UW to close its Seattle campus.

"The novel coronavirus is not the first challenge this region, or our university, has faced," Cauce urged. "It will not be the last. In its 158-year history, the UW has endured two world wars, a depression and other crises that have tested our resilience and our compassion."

Similarly, Seattle University and Lake Washington Institute of Technology, located outside Seattle, both announced they are moving to virtual classes as well. On Thursday, Everett Community, outside Seattle, closed and its president announced a student tested positive for the virus.

In New York, Yeshiva University’s president announced Wednesday that a student had tested positive for Covid-19 and classes would be canceled at their Washington Heights and Midtown Campuses until after March 10.

Colleges and universities were first faced with the coronavirus overseas, closing campuses and study-abroad programs, but now that the virus is spreading in the states, the Evergreen State is taking the brunt of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, with 79 of the country's 253 confirmed coronavirus cases and 13 deaths, with another in California and two in Florida.

Jean E. Chin, who leads an American College Health Association task force on coronavirus, said campuses are especially vulnerable for the communal living.

“We all know how college students are,” Chin told the Washington Post. “They share stuff. They share secretions. They share drinks. They share phones. They share stuff.”

With spring break season approaching, university officials are preparing for measures that may require mass student quarantines and tracking students' travel plans.

I'm a professor in SoCal and I can tell you 100% that all universities are on watch right now. Most departments are having their professors take preliminary measures in the event that we have to switch to everything done online to finish out the semester. I'm a very lucky person in that I've been running all my classes as hybrid courses for years, so the only change for me is lecturing via video capture instead of in the classroom, but my heart goes out to older educators right now. Building an online course from scratch is incredibly time consuming, and to have to do so mid-semester is just brutal if it's your first time doing it, plus older educators tend to not be equipped with the skills nor expertise to manage this switch for their courses.

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2020 at 7:53 AM, Lith said:

Definitely not.

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2020 at 7:53 AM, Lith said:

No way do you go.  No way.  I will personally lock you and your entire family indoors at your house before you go to any arena.   You and your family have many years and decades ahead to attend NCAA hoops.  Let it go this year.  Seriously.  Please.  Not kidding.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a professor in SoCal and I can tell you 100% that all universities are on watch right now. Most departments are having their professors take preliminary measures in the event that we have to switch to everything done online to finish out the semester. I'm a very lucky person in that I've been running all my classes as hybrid courses for years, so the only change for me is lecturing via video capture instead of in the classroom, but my heart goes out to older educators right now. Building an online course from scratch is incredibly time consuming, and to have to do so mid-semester is just brutal if it's your first time doing it, plus older educators tend to not be equipped with the skills nor expertise to manage this switch for their courses.

Seton Hall announced it yesterday.

All classes going online as of next Monday.  It won't be long until the other NJ/NY schools shut down.  I expect the state-based schools (SUNY's, CUNY's and Rutgers' locations) to be driving force.  Once those are closed, expect all the others to follow.

On 3/7/2020 at 6:22 PM, nycdan said:

If they want to have it in a place where nobody ever goes, they should just hold it at MSG during a Knicks game.

Knicks have the 10th highest attendance in the nba and it would be higher but MSG only has a capacity of 18,900

Knicks fans are the best in the entire nba  it’s not even close

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Knicks have the 10th highest attendance in the nba and it would be higher but MSG only has a capacity of 18,900

Knicks fans are the best in the entire nba  it’s not even close

Not right now...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/05/spike-lee-new-york-knicks-attendance

'Sell the team!': Knicks draw smallest crowd in 13 years amid Spike Lee feud
Knicks draw lowest attendance since 2006 for Wednesday game
Woeful team is finishing out seventh straight year out of playoffs

Spike Lee isn’t the only fan who has decided to no-show Knicks games.

The Knicks drew their smallest home crowd in nearly 13 and a half years Wednesday night, falling more than 3,200 below capacity in a 112-104 loss to the Utah Jazz.

The announced crowd was just 16,588, with noticeable patches of empty seats throughout an arena that lists 19,812 as its capacity for NBA games.  That means the arena was filled to about 84% capacity – leaving one in every six seats unsold.

Blame poor play, anger over Lee’s altercation or coronavirus concerns, but fans hadn’t stayed away from Madison Square Garden in such large numbers since 13 December 2006 – more than 500 regular-season games ago – when the Knicks drew 15,895 for a victory over Atlanta early in Isiah Thomas’ first season as coach.

What was once one of the toughest tickets in town is no longer the case as the Knicks (19-43) finish out their seventh straight year out of the playoffs. Attendance is on track to drop for the fourth straight season.

Dolan's utter stupidity may finally be catching up with him.  Not that the team isn't still worth buckets of money, but he's literally driving fans out of the building now.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Not right now...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/05/spike-lee-new-york-knicks-attendance

Dolan's utter stupidity may finally be catching up with him.  Not that the team isn't still worth buckets of money, but he's literally driving fans out of the building now.

Knicks average attendance is 18,811 good for 10th in the nba.  Yes the team sucks but you’re making stuff up about the building being empty

By the way.....    this is my opinion not a statement of fact:  I believe that the claims that this virus is not air borne <sp?> will be revealed as the biggest medical lie in the history of public medical falsehoods. 

There are zero supplies left of the appropriate masks and aside for hospitals and the like, there won't be any for public purchase for many, many months. If you think there's panic now, imagine when everyone finally understands that this is airborne.  At least the price of hand sanitizers will return to normal. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

By the way.....    this is my opinion not a statement of fact:  I believe that the claims that this virus is not air borne <sp?> will be revealed as the biggest medical lie in the history of public medical falsehoods. 

There are zero supplies left of the appropriate masks and aside for hospitals and the like, there won't be any for public purchase for many, many months. If you think there's panic now, imagine when everyone finally understands that this is airborne.  At least the price of hand sanitizers will return to normal. 

Only total and complete morons don’t think this is airborne and that it’s a threat

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

No way do you go.  No way.  I will personally lock you and your entire family indoors at your house before you go to any arena.   You and your family have many years and decades ahead to attend NCAA hoops.  Let it go this year.  Seriously.  Please.  Not kidding.

I agree with you 100%.  Its just not worth it.  My son is not quite there yet, he still wants to go, we will talk further this weekend.  His wife will talk snese into him.  If my daughter-in-law was not pregnant, then maybe we take the chance.  But there is no way I want to take even the slightest chance that my son gets exposed and brings this home to his pregnant wife.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Knicks average attendance is 18,811 good for 10th in the nba.  Yes the team sucks but you’re making stuff up about the building being empty

Or you could actually read the article I posted.  Attendance is way down lately.  The lowest in 15 years.  Their 95% avg. attendance rate for the season is 19th in the NBA but it's much lower lately and Dolan's lack of ability to control his infantile emotions is not helping.

I'm not looking for an argument here.  Just passing along information.  You can choose to believe it or not. 

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

The disease is not airborne. It is spread by droplet. This is the public misunderstanding medical terminology and us as a physicians failing to clarify. Basically it can definitely be transmitted by the aerosolized secretions but does not require the N95 mask that you use to prevent TB (an airborne illness). I hope this makes more sense

23 minutes ago, TheMo said:

The disease is not airborne. It is spread by droplet. This is the public misunderstanding medical terminology and us as a physicians failing to clarify. Basically it can definitely be transmitted by the aerosolized secretions but does not require the N95 mask that you use to prevent TB (an airborne illness). I hope this makes more sense

False.  Italy just announced (today) that the virus is indeed "airborne" and survives in the air for up to 30 minutes and will infect someone as far as 15 feet from the original source (beyond the common 6 feet for most influenza).   If it were only droplets, they wouldn't linger in the air for up to 30 minutes and there would be no discussion of 6 feet vs 15 feet.  If it were just droplets, we wouldn't be having this pandemic.  It has been a lie all along.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If this is still going strong by then, I’d fully expect them to cancel access to fans and try to limit it to a small production. 

At least as of today, I can't see any type of function worthy of showcasing where players are walking up and shaking hands with people.  We could end up with a completely virtual draft, live look-ins to players homes where they are on the sofa with family, etc.

How unfortunate.  This was setting up to be an epic Draft in Las Vegas and, hopefully, a kickstart to the rebirth of our Jets.

21 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Honestly a draft where they just pick the players and spare me all the other bullsh*t is a major upgrade.

Yeah seriously they can still have the draft.  Just have teams phone in their picks and someone on tv announces it

No MTV bullsh t, no players bringing their kids on stage or doing dance routines while Fans act like a jackass

• Upvote 2