Jerome Martin Koosman Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

On June 13, the Mets will retire Koos' jersey, correcting one of the current owners’ mismanagement of this storied franchise (C'mon, #17 next)

Those of us from that time have fond memories of this wonderful pitcher. As we get closer to the day, those who wish to can post tribute here. 

Who among us who were kids from that era didn't imitate that straight leg motion of his?  

There is much to the story of Koosman, starting with a minor league trade for Freddie Patek that was almost made until the GM realized Koos owed him money. 

I always think of the home opener in 1968 vs the Giants. Sitting in an X box (you could actually get and afford seats behind the home plate screen back then), bases loaded on no out, he strikes out Mays, gets Hart to pop up to Grote and then blows away Jim Ray Hart who almost fell over swinging at the third strike. He goes on to throw a shutout and produce the best Mets pitching season in their history at the time. The next year, he was featured as an equal of Seaver (see the '69 yearbook). Few remember but he started out that year hurt, finally getting pulled from a late April game in Montreal and losing a whole month. He lost some velocity but adjusted with a better slider and had a nice career, just not Hall of Fame. Still, I thought he, not Clendenon was the 1969 World Series MVP.

A little known fact is that, like Doc Gooden, his first appearance in NY was not as a NY Met. (Which was during early 1967, rosters were 28 on opening day, then cut to 25 in mid May back then so it was kinda like a pre cup of coffee, he was brought back in Sept. of that year to stay). His first game in NY was in 1966 at Yankee stadium. Before a regular Yankee game, there was a NY-Penn minor league game between the Auburn Mets and the Yankees’ Binghamton Triplets. Both teams’ aces. Koosman for Auburn, and Mickey Scott (later had a short MLB career as a reliever) for the Trips’ started.

Another nice memory of him was the way that he conducted himself, crowned by his gracious appearance on Kiner’s corner on the fateful day he lost a game to an opposing pitcher named Seaver after that sad, but historic event. I think he is the only losing player to appear on Ralph’s show.    

Koosman’s final contribution to the Mets was during the 1978 winter meetings when he was sent home to Minnesota in exchange for Greg Field and a PTBNL, who ended up being young lefty named Jesse Orosco.

He won 222 games over his career, 76th in MLB history. More than hall of famers Don Drysdale, Pedro Martinez, and Hal Newhouser. He was also 33rd in K’s. Not shabby at all.

He was also noted as a really bad hitter, yet he only fell 712 HR’s short of Ruth’s career total. Trivia nuts note that his two HR’s were both at Shea. One off Bill Hands in ’68 and one off John Montefusco in ’77 so he beats Colon by 1.

Personally, I have a very fond memory. It was the 1987 ALCS, shortly after the Pendelton Disappointment. I was in Minneapolis for business. The lawyer I went to see had saved me a spot in the firm’s luxury box for a Tigers-Twins playoff game (mere coincidence of when I went up there, well that’s the story I’m sticking to). We exit the box and joined the traffic heading to the elevators. I looked up at the tall guy next to me and realized it was Jerry Koosman. He was with who I assumed to be a brother as he was a spitting image of him. My lawyer recognized him too. I wasn’t going to bother him but my host taps him on the shoulder and points at me.

“He’s a crazy Mets fan”, he says to Koosman.

Jerry smiled and said, “Well there’s a lot of them and they are ALL crazy”.

The lawyer says, “No look, he really is one of them” and points to the 1986 Championship Trophy pin that came from one of the giveaway days that year.

Koosman stops and looks at me and says, “Well what are you doing here?” I explained that I was from NY and here on business. So Koosman asks, “Do you go to the games”? I told him about season tickets and being there every day and he smiles and says” You are one of the crazy ones !”. Then he proceeds, unprompted, to engage me in a long conversation about the current Mets and assessed several pitchers on the staff (he thought that El Sid was the one with the most potential). He thought that Darling needed to just throw and stop trying to be so precise. He noted that Gooden is throwing away a hall of fame career. We ended up alone in the hallway until a guard gently reminded us to leave. He shook my hand when we left. I haven’t thought about that in years.

June 13. It’s long overdue.         

There was no doubt who was gonna pitch that game for the Mets, rotation be damned. Remember it like it was yesterday. I don't think there was a dry eye in any Mets fan that day, whether you were at Shea, watching or listening. Seeing those two guys on "our" mound, competing against one another, was surreal. Just writing this brings back so many memories. I believe that the crowd gave both of them standing O's when the came up to bat, thanking them as only New York can, for everything. Was truly a great day in Mets history. The real end of our "Tom and Jerry"show.?

On a different note, one of the classic Kiner's Corners was on the night of Jimmy Qualls in 1969. Of course, Tom was on, along with Nancy. She was crying, and Tom said to her" what's wrong with a complete game, 1 hit, shut out?" But the greatest line was from Cleon Jones, who was also on. It seemed like he was on every other show that year, hitting.343. When Ralph was wrapping up, he thanked Cleon for being a guest, and told him" Cleon, I think you are gonna take over this show you've been on so much." Without missing a beat, Cleon said..."don't worry Ralph, I'll give you one more year."  Isn't it amazing what you remember when you were having the summer of your young life? I was 11 at the time.

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

There was no doubt who was gonna pitch that game for the Mets, rotation be damned. Remember it like it was yesterday. I don't think there was a dry eye in any Mets fan that day, whether you were at Shea, watching or listening. Seeing those two guys on "our" mound, competing against one another, was surreal. Just writing this brings back so many memories. I believe that the crowd gave both of them standing O's when the came up to bat, thanking them as only New York can, for everything. Was truly a great day in Mets history. The real end of our "Tom and Jerry"show.?

On a different note, one of the classic Kiner's Corners was on the night of Jimmy Qualls in 1969. Of course, Tom was on, along with Nancy. She was crying, and Tom said to her" what's wrong with a complete game, 1 hit, shut out?" But the greatest line was from Cleon Jones, who was also on. It seemed like he was on every other show that year, hitting.343. When Ralph was wrapping up, he thanked Cleon for being a guest, and told him" Cleon, I think you are gonna take over this show you've been on so much." Without missing a beat, Cleon said..."don't worry Ralph, I'll give you one more year."  Isn't it amazing what you remember when you were having the summer of your young life? I was 11 at the time.

dry eye?

teared up on both paragraphs !

Someone needs to invent a time machine

• Sympathy 2

• 3 weeks later...

Koosman was one of the best in his era. Had he been on a better hitting team, his W-L record would have been so much better.And he pitched in some terrible teams with the Mets in the mid 70’s. 222-209 record. You can argue Seaver had a much better record with the same team. Pitched for 18 years. 91 wins from 300.  Averages out to 5 wins per year and he hits 300 mark. May sound like a stretch BUT I can’t recall a pitcher losing more games 2-1 or 1-0 than Kooze. And yes he was the MVP of ‘69 WS. No question. Game 2 he was outstanding and turned the momentum totally around. Orioles we’re doomed after that. Hands down 2nd best pitcher in Mets history. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, section314 said:

I was 12 lol. I watched every single game that year. Went to about 25-30 home games. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. Just miraculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Koosman was one of the best in his era. Had he been on a better hitting team, his W-L record would have been so much better.And he pitched in some terrible teams with the Mets in the mid 70’s. 222-209 record. You can argue Seaver had a much better record with the same team. Pitched for 18 years. 91 wins from 300.  Averages out to 5 wins per year and he hits 300 mark. May sound like a stretch BUT I can’t recall a pitcher losing more games 2-1 or 1-0 than Kooze. And yes he was the MVP of ‘69 WS. No question. Game 2 he was outstanding and turned the momentum totally around. Orioles we’re doomed after that. Hands down 2nd best pitcher in Mets history. 

Koosman was my favorite, even over Seaver.

He’s not the #2 anymore though... Jake has 2 Cy Young’s now, he’s in the #1 discussion now.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Koosman was my favorite, even over Seaver.

He’s not the #2 anymore though... Jake has 2 Cy Young’s now, he’s in the #1 discussion now.

I'll take Kooze.  Degrom is special but Kooze was overlooked because of Seaver.  And Degrom still has much to prove. 

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You guys remember being furious at Randy Huntley for trying to bunt for a hit leading off the ninth?

Jimmy freaking Qualls...

fastball up and away :(   Still no Mets pitcher has thrown a no-hitter.  Santana's was null and void as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I was 12 lol. I watched every single game that year. Went to about 25-30 home games. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. Just miraculous. 

We are almost the same age. I was 11. That was the best summer of my life. It followed up the Jets SB, and preceded the Knicks 1st title. Remember as young kids how we thought our teams would win every year? As Maxwell Smart would say....”missed it by that much.”? Today would have been opening day

• Sympathy 1

• 2 months later...

Sad day today in a way

About now we would have arrived home after one of the few great days at New Ebbetts Field.

The weather was perfect, it would have been a sellout. We would have been chairs down for a tailgate just after noon. The mood along the parking lot would have been festive. Some drink, some food, a lot of music blasting from the Bluetooth speaker and some pleasant repartee with the neighbors.  A stop at our "brick" on the way to LF ramp to the top. Videos from the exalted past on the scoreboard. The presentation of Mr. Koosman, his speech and raising that #36 where it belonged for years. Maybe a walk off win against the Nats.

To quote General Chang, "It would have been1787908414_Koosman(1).thumb.jpg.a9defb7480b42ee9137ede4ee0444e69.jpg glorious"

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Sad day today in a way

About now we would have arrived home after one of the few great days at New Ebbetts Field.

The weather was perfect, it would have been a sellout. We would have been chairs down for a tailgate just after noon. The mood along the parking lot would have been festive. Some drink, some food, a lot of music blasting from the Bluetooth speaker and some pleasant repartee with the neighbors.  A stop at our "brick" on the way to LF ramp to the top. Videos from the exalted past on the scoreboard. The presentation of Mr. Koosman, his speech and raising that #36 where it belonged for years. Maybe a walk off win against the Nats.

To quote General Chang, "It would have been1787908414_Koosman(1).thumb.jpg.a9defb7480b42ee9137ede4ee0444e69.jpg glorious"

To extend our lead to 61/2 games.? Once again, a great, nostalgic look at our Mets, and one of our heroes, Big Game Jerry. I love your stuff about baseball in general, and the Mets in particular.I'm really starting to believe we are brothers from different mothers.

• Upvote 3

On 6/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, section314 said:

I love your stuff about baseball in general, and the Mets in particular.I'm really starting to believe we are brothers from different mothers.

The way you and Crimson dominated the Baseball Trivia thread was like watching Jordan in the '93 playoffs.

I thought I had some decent knowledge of MLB history until that thread happened.  I'm a novice.  

On 6/13/2020 at 8:50 PM, The Crimson King said:

Sad day today in a way

For me, that sad day was early in April.  Easter weekend.  Mets in Milwaukee.  Had two tickets, first row behind the Mets dugout.  My son was going to be in from Iowa for Easter and we were planning to make the 90 mile trek up to Miller Park for the Saturday game.  After the kids are grown and have moved away, there is nothing quite like a day at a ball game just me and my son. I treasure those moments and had one taken away from me in April.

He in his Brewerrs' Robin Yount jersey; me in my Mets Seaver.  I made the mistake of taking him to too many games at Miller Park while he was growing up.  He has become a Brewer fan.  Roots for the Mets whenever they play anyone but the Brewers -- and I return the favor, rooting for the Brewers as long as they are not playing the Mets.  One of those rare times when we go to a sporting event together, but we would have been on opposite sides.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

For me, that sad day was early in April.  Easter weekend.  Mets in Milwaukee.  Had two tickets, first row behind the Mets dugout.  My son was going to be in from Iowa for Easter and we were planning to make the 90 mile trek up to Miller Park for the Saturday game.  After the kids are grown and have moved away, there is nothing quite like a day at a ball game just me and my son. I treasure those moments and had one taken away from me in April.

He in his Brewerrs' Robin Yount jersey; me in my Mets Seaver.  I made the mistake of taking him to too many games at Miller Park while he was growing up.  He has become a Brewer fan.  Roots for the Mets whenever they play anyone but the Brewers -- and I return the favor, rooting for the Brewers as long as they are not playing the Mets.  One of those rare times when we go to a sporting event together, but we would have been on opposite sides.

touching post of the week

(tear roll down face … )

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

❤️  Who said there's "no crying in baseball?" I'll share this with you guys.....I started my dad's eulogy with this line from a movie I know we all love.  "hey dad, you wanna have a catch?" Needless to say, it took me about 30 secs or so to continue.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I believe it was September of 1976.  Mets - Cardinals.  I was already long a stone cold Yankee fan like my Dad, but my Mom's Dad was a Dodgers fan and Grandpa kept trying to get me to root for the Mets.  We went early and I got a few autographs including rookie call-up shortstop Gary Templeton.  Koosman went the whole way with a 4 hitter finally winning his 20th.  I think he was the first Met pitcher to hit 20 besides Seaver.  I was probably rooting for the Cards with Ted Simmons and Keith Hernandez.  Hrabosky came out of the pen, but the starter was Lafayette's own Pete Falcone.  Even at that young age, I could appreciate the accomplishment.

• Upvote 3