Do you want an 18 game schedule?

TuscanyTile2

I know the players don't seem to like the idea for health reasons and I completely understand that.  But from a fan's perspective, I would love it if they moved to an 18 game season with the Superbowl falling on PresidentMAL's Day Weekend.  That would be ideal. 

A 17 game schedule would be unbalanced with home/away games (unless they played a game on a neutral site, which could be interesting - e.g. play at major college stadiums).  An 18 game schedule would work perfectly.  

They can eliminate preseason for all I care.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We all know 18 is coming, why not just do it now?

The most important factor is my need to be entertained, and football entertains me. Give me more of it, thank you very much. Player safety? Yawn...

Selfish? Yes, totally. So what...

I feel the same way.  From a selfish perspective, I'd prefer the 2 additional games.

The CFL had 16 reg season and 4 pre season games for years but they changed to 18 reg season and 2 ex games quite a while ago and it works well.  2 ex games is enough to form our roster and the 18 reg season games imo have not increased injuries to a great extent (though i have no data to back thus up).

The CFL season has 2 bye weeks and the CFL rosters are smaller so I think the NFL could pull it off.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No. That would suck. No. It’s awesome when the Patriots lose to the Dolphins in October and have to spend the next two months making up for it. If you take that desperation away, it’s 1000% less entertaining. It’s like watching @Pac trying to seduce @GATA. It’s the raw desperation and sadness that makes it appealing 

Only if you take away 2 preseason games....

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Too many injuries are already ruining the game.  The NFL has become a league of attrition just as much as it is about putting talent on the field. 

Another two weeks will simply amplify that problem.

It also means 2 more weeks of watching football.   

• Thumb Down 2

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It also means 2 more weeks of watching football.   

I get it, I really do - two more weeks of getting up Sunday morning excited about the day - but if the product gets too diluted it really stops being fun.

I mean at some point it’s just too much to sustain a quality level of play.

• Upvote 1

As a fan, sure I would love to see an 18 game schedule.  Although I do think it would impact the quality of play due to potential for injury over the longer season.  If they go to 18, I would love to see them eliminate those Thursday night games, which usually suck. 

Elminate the short week Thursday games, add an extra bye week and play an 18 game season over 20 weeks.  Start the season Labor Day Weekend and play the SB on Presidents Day weekend and it can work.

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

As a fan, sure I would love to see an 18 game schedule.  Although I do think it would impact the quality of play due to potential for injury over the longer season.  If they go to 18, I would love to see them eliminate those Thursday night games, which usually suck. 

Elminate the short week Thursday games, add an extra bye week and play an 18 game season over 20 weeks.  Start the season Labor Day Weekend and play the SB on Presidents Day weekend and it can work.

I'd be okay with 2 byes as long as the season is longer and the Superbowl is on Prez weekend.  As for Thursday Night Football, I don't love those games but I guess they're still nice to have.  Honestly I'd be happier if they moved those games to Friday (which I don't think will happen because I think it's not considered to be a good TV night).  I used to absolutely love Saturday NFL the last 2 weeks of every season.  I think we only get 1 week like that now.  I'd sacrifice Thursday for more Saturdays (though obviously it would overlap with college, which would be a problem).

27 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Need an extra bye built into an 18 game schedule. The PS has become such an amazing waste of time, I think 1 PS game would be perfect.

Heard Mike Florio with Joe and Evan a few days ago.... the owners and TV networks don't want two byes because it dilutes the pool of games and screws with FF leagues

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The guys on Sirius NFL were saying that the one thing that will never, ever happen again would be starting the season on the holiday weekend.  They used to do it.  They will never do it again.  Everything else is on the table. 

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

We all know 18 is coming, why not just do it now?

The most important factor is my need to be entertained, and football entertains me. Give me more of it, thank you very much. Player safety? Yawn...

Selfish? Yes, totally. So what...

I agree.  Who cares about any of that stuff. I just want more football. More playoffs. More stuff. MORE I SAY!

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A 17 game schedule would be unbalanced with home/away games (unless they played a game on a neutral site, which could be interesting - e.g. play at major college stadiums).  An 18 game schedule would work perfectly.  

They've already explained how this works with 17 games. Every team in the same conference plays the same number of home/away games. All teams in the NFC are home 1 year and then the AFC teams are home the next. Since the 17th game is a cross conference game the 'home' games don't matter

46 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree.  Who cares about any of that stuff. I just want more football. More playoffs. More stuff. MORE I SAY!

Thank you. I don't understand why people make things so hard.

The Romans figured this out centuries ago. Give the citizens a nice seat in the Coliseum, a piece of mutton, maybe a few nuts and figs. Some wine to wash it down. Let them watch a few gladiators fight to their death. Good clean entertainment, and everyone went home happy (except for a few gladiators),  *shrug*

#Keepmeentertained

• Upvote 1

No, it’s a bad idea. Not only overexposure of a good product. But over the course of a year with injuries the product is diluted. You see third string QBs starting and inadequate protection plus overall fewer star players. You are asking the public to pay a premium price to see games that are B quality and networks to pay billions to cover lesser talent. 

• Upvote 1