Sports contracts seem less and less merit based.

Yeah, it seems like any QB on second contract has at one point been given a contract that made them “the highest paid player at their position”.  

Dak is going to feel pretty dumb next year when he’s only making $33M and the next guy is dwarfing him. 

11 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-reportedly-offer-dak-prescott-140707917.html

Anyone think Dak is worth the richest contract in NFL history? Can't say I do. It seems sports contracts are now just a cyclical thing where the next guy up gets the most regardless of accomplishment. At some point the bubble is going to burst.

NFL contracts are not an efficient market.  Available cap goes up every year.  Each team is different.  Dak sells lots of tickets in the NFL's largest and most profitable stadium.  

Jerry is crazy.  This is his Super Bowl window-two years max.    If I was him I was taking 2 years of Rivers or Brady.   He overpaid Dak in the out years.....maybe. 

• Upvote 1

Contracts have always been about timing, numbers will always go up.  Go look up the list of top paid QBs over the last 10-15 years, it's mostly good QBs that saw their contacts ending at the right time.  Dak deserves every penny, he's up for a new deal at the right time.

21 hours ago, varjet said:

NFL contracts are not an efficient market.  Available cap goes up every year.  Each team is different.  Dak sells lots of tickets in the NFL's largest and most profitable stadium.  

Jerry is crazy.  This is his Super Bowl window-two years max.    If I was him I was taking 2 years of Rivers or Brady.   He overpaid Dak in the out years.....maybe. 

Rivers ????

Playing devil's advocate - you're not paying for past achievements, you're paying for what you want / project in the future.

If you believe the guy can win you a SB or four, you have to pay that top rate. And then hope you were right.

21 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yeah, it seems like any QB on second contract has at one point been given a contract that made them “the highest paid player at their position”.  

Dak is going to feel pretty dumb next year when he’s only making $33M and the next guy is dwarfing him. 

I’d feel pretty dumb being a mediocre QB getting $33m

Playing devil's advocate - you're not paying for past achievements, you're paying for what you want / project in the future.

If you believe the guy can win you a SB or four, you have to pay that top rate. And then hope you were right.

Disagree .. you paying for a product ... Based on performance and projection ... Just because my VW Suracco might win me a race... I'm not gonna pay Porsche 911 GT money for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

the nfl is moving closer to the nba in terms of player money and guaranteed contracts.  i do have some sympathy for the players.  the nfl is tough and the player careers are short.  but there is quite a bit of disparity between the top guys and everyone else.  i have a hard time believing an average qb like prescott is worth so much to his team's success over just about any other average qb.