CJ Mosley & Avery WIlliamson; Should the Jets bring Avery Back?

Greenbean

Greenbean is in California this week and the desert heat has him talking about Avery Williamson. Should the jets keep him and let him play along side CJ Mosley.

Other options would be to trade him? Release him? Keep him?

The middle of the defense was going to lock it down last year. That never happened due to injuries. Watch the video and let us know what you think in the comments below as Greenbean does a side by side comparison of Mosley and Williamson and talks about their respective values based on their salary cap figures.

The post CJ Mosley & Avery WIlliamson; Should the Jets bring Avery Back? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3ReiLrVCYyc

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Yes 100%

I'm a big fan of having good players on the Jets.

I want Avery back, the salary is reasonable and we learned last year that depth is needed.  I think Hewitt will get more money from someone. Would like Cashman and Burgess to be the backups if Hewitt signs somewhere else.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Maxman said:

I want Avery back, the salary is reasonable and we learned last year that depth is needed.  I think Hewitt will get more money from someone. Would like Cashman and Burgess to be the backups if Hewitt signs somewhere else.

Agreed, and remember when Avery got hurt last year, and why Gase and Williams wanted him on the field?

They wanted someone out there with the young guys who was a leader, to call signals for the defense. That seems like the type of player I want to keep on this team. solid performer, and a leader the coaches trust.

• Upvote 2

No, let him go.  We can't pay every position.  I did not/do not agree with the signing of Mosley to an enormous contract but with that money committed, you go young and cheap at the other ILB spot.  Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess all have earned the opportunity to compete for that 2nd ILB spot.  

This team will not be fixed this one offseason but we need to lay the foundation for a winner.  Draft premium positions and game-changers (QB, LT/RT, Offensive weapons, Pass Rusher, CBs) with premium picks and resign your homegrown players first as cap availability becomes available. Everything else is mid-round picks and mid-tier FA until we are on the doorstep of the championship.  Then, maybe we sign a high-priced merc from another team to put us over the top.  

• Upvote 2

I would like to have been in the room when the Jets signed Mosley, after already having Avery, thinking that they were going to compete in 2019.

Williams and Gase were hired before FA.  Supposedly the Jets had a scheme.  The Jets already had enough DL to run a Williams 4-3.  They could have used a pure 4-3 DE.

But they make Mosley the highest paid ILB.  They also have a strange announcement that they are sticking with the 3-4.  

I like Avery.  The Jets just can't afford him, and need to spend that money on someone like Glasgow and McGovern.  

• Upvote 2

good listen, appreciate it!

Most of us like what Avery has given us ... in the past though he has not been THE man ... he's been a very good man ... I didn't know enough about CJ coming in to be able to say he's the man either ... everyone told me that was the case though.  If that's accurate then -

We brought in Jordan & Pippen ... Jordan tore his ACL week 1 and missed the rest of the season ... Pippen played well all year long.

Do we want them both back for next year ? ... you bet your *$$ we do! ... but can we afford them both and pay the other players what they are wanting as well ... while still keeping the total number spent at such-and-such a number?  (i guess i need to alter the players from NBA 5 starters 8 total to NFL 22 starters 53 total in terms of adjusting all the salary numbers under the cap.)

If we have to choose 1 we def choose Jordan over Pippen

In addition to that, if we have to get rid of one we already have to pay Jordan for the full year .. .but Pippen we only have to pay for the 1st month.

---

our money, our draft capital, our focus and everything else needs to be on our young QB at this time.  If we can make him above average then we will have a chance for some good stuff to happen over the next decade.  If he is average or below, it is very unlikely that we have sustainable postseason success, no matter how good our defense is.

---

All that being said, I'd love to keep them both, but ...

If we have to decide whether allocating that $ to offensive line/wide receiver vs. keeping it on the defensive side of the ball, there is only 1 right answer.

---

again, thanks for the video!!

• Upvote 1

I'm all for trading Avery or Mosley or Bell or Adams no problem!!!

In fact I'm hopeful.. and counting on it!

Our GM can make some slick moves and net us multiple players in F.A. and picks in a very deep draft!!

If they're committed as we believe to Sam Darnolds growth, and think it through... the only player lost that could stunt him is Robby Anderson.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, ljr said:

good listen, appreciate it!

Most of us like what Avery has given us ... in the past though he has not been THE man ... he's been a very good man ... I didn't know enough about CJ coming in to be able to say he's the man either ... everyone told me that was the case though.  If that's accurate then -

We brought in Jordan & Pippen ... Jordan tore his ACL week 1 and missed the rest of the season ... Pippen played well all year long.

Do we want them both back for next year ? ... you bet your *$$ we do! ... but can we afford them both and pay the other players what they are wanting as well ... while still keeping the total number spent at such-and-such a number?  (i guess i need to alter the players from NBA 5 starters 8 total to NFL 22 starters 53 total in terms of adjusting all the salary numbers under the cap.)

If we have to choose 1 we def choose Jordan over Pippen

In addition to that, if we have to get rid of one we already have to pay Jordan for the full year .. .but Pippen we only have to pay for the 1st month.

---

our money, our draft capital, our focus and everything else needs to be on our young QB at this time.  If we can make him above average then we will have a chance for some good stuff to happen over the next decade.  If he is average or below, it is very unlikely that we have sustainable postseason success, no matter how good our defense is.

---

All that being said, I'd love to keep them both, but ...

If we have to decide whether allocating that $ to offensive line/wide receiver vs. keeping it on the defensive side of the ball, there is only 1 right answer.

---

again, thanks for the video!!

You post a lot of good stuff here, but I've got to be honest. Aside from your first and last sentences, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. LOL

Are we going to keep Rodman? Do we want to go to Jackson's triangle offense?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You post a lot of good stuff here, but I've got to be honest. Aside from your first and last sentences, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. LOL

Are we going to keep Rodman? Do we want to go to Jackson's triangle offense?

Please be well aware that you have to allow our Brother to pontificate, and matriculate with a forward nod to the Acumen Sanitation of the demographical fornication and testicular fortitude of a gentle man...  and therefore a delving ever deeply thinker that just so be it ..happens to be in the know, of a certain many great things.. and so it is said by he!!!

Do you understand!!!!??

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Please be well aware that you have to allow our brother to pontificate, and matriculate with the forward nod of the Acumen Sanitation of the demographical  fornication and testicular fortitude of a gentle man...  and therefore a delving ever deeply thinker that just so be it ..happens to be in the know, of a certain many great things.. and so it is said by he!!!

Do you understand!!!!??

Ok, now I get it... Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Avery should be used as part of the trade to get Trent. Hewitt and Burgess played just fine in relief. Cashman also showed some promise. 

Considering we mostly align with 5 DBs, It doesn’t make sense to allocate so much money to LBs who are not rushing the passer. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I prefer Burgess to Hewitt as well. More impact plays and better in coverage. Hewitt has a ,major coverage flaw in his game. Cashman, while a nice player, will probably never make it through a full season if he has to play more than 50% of the snarps. 

Snarps 

• Upvote 1

it's like anything else.  the whole middle of the linebacking corp was filled with jags and draft picks and they performed well.  can they repeat their performance?  hard to tell but will avery return to pre-injury form?  mosely?  i agree they need to keep good players who have good leadership qualities but everything has a risk and reward and if they trade avery or otherwise release him then those resources can be used on his replacement(s) or used elsewhere.

• Sympathy 1

Skins need defense & have an unhappy camper who wants out. Jets get a 2/3 year hold the fort LT, Skins get a damn good LB for 6.5 million which is perfect price without dipping into free agency where everyone costs more. 

Granted, we saw what happens when you have injuries like we had at LB, but you don't pay CJ Mosely 17 million & keep Avery Williamson at 6.5. Those assets need to be used to balance the team. I actually believe that Avery was the starting point for JD in his opening discussions with the Redskins. You get a late pick & a starting caliber player at a position of need & you save face with the fans. 

If this scenario was going on with the Jets & we solved it by getting a starting player of need that was still pretty young, with experience, and a late draft pick we'd all be complementing that as a great move under the circumstances. Nothing worse then going through turmoil with a player & than getting NOTHING and having to just release the guy. 

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Totally agree. His number is not that high. If they both stay healthy.... we will be glad they kept him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like it’s crucial that we pay Williamson and Mosley and Jamal Adams and overdraft a nose tackle because if we don’t stop Csonka and Mercury Morris, well never win the 1974 AFC East title

Derrick Brown FTW.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

I would like to have been in the room when the Jets signed Mosley, after already having Avery, thinking that they were going to compete in 2019.

Yea, that announcement seemed to crush the Anthony Barr deal too - hard to judge impact with the injuries but Williamson on his own the year before was good (one of the few decent Mac deals) - a clear upgrade over Lee who was supposed to be the cover LB until NFL speed...

CJ got his first experience of disfunction and I just hope he is still committed... he needs to be healthy and lead the culture change...

My vote would be to keep Avery unless there was a compelling offer 

The NY Jets could be looking to clear cap space this offseason by releasing linebacker Avery Williamson. However, that would ultimately be a mistake.

The NY Jets are about to embark on what should be a very eventful offseason with numerous difficult decisions to be made. And one important player the team will need to make a decision on is Avery Williamson.

No, that isn’t because Williamson is set to be one of the Jets’ 21 unrestricted free agents this offseason. His decision comes courtesy of a different kind of numbers game.

Williamson is one of a few players being discussed as possible cap casualties for the Jets in the coming weeks. With around $56 million in cap space projected at the moment, the Jets already have a good chunk of money to play with once free agency starts.But they could always use more — especially with a ton of needs and some high-profile targets on the open market.Williamson is set to make $8.5 million in 2020, a hefty price for a player at a non-impact position coming off a torn ACL. It’s isn’t foolish to ask whether cutting Williamson would be the right move.The soon-to-be 28-year-old missed all of last season after tearing his ACL in the preseason, but the season prior, Williamson led the team with 120 tackles and also managed three sacks, two forced fumbles, and an interception.Williamson is a well-above-average starter at his position, but it’s a position the Jets have already invested a ton of resources in. C.J. Mosley was signed to a massive contract last offseason and is set to have the highest cap hit on the team next season.

Paying another starter at off-ball linebacker $8.5 million seems unnecessary, especially considering the little capital invested into more crucial positions such as the offensive line, edge rusher, and cornerback.But this isn’t a situation that we could look at in a bubble. It isn’t as simple as numbers on a paper.Assuming Williamson is healthy, he’s a very good starter and a critical piece of what was an overachieving Jets defense in 2019. In his place, players like Neville Hewitt, Blake Cashman, and James Burgess stepped into a starting role.And whether fans realize it or not, all three were significant downgrades from Williamson. Cashman, in particular, struggled as a run defender while all three were massive liabilities in coverage.The trio was all graded extremely poorly by Pro Football Focus with none of them earning a grade higher than 55.0 which is still considered very much below-average.

In fact, Hewitt’s 40.4 PFF grade ranked him as the worst linebacker in the entire NFL.There was a steep drop-off in talent level even if that was inherently evident on the box score. Credit the Jets’ dominant defensive line for masking some of the weakness of the linebacker core.Moreover, credit players like Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye for masking their weaknesses in coverage.If the Jets don’t opt to cut Williamson, they could always free up more space by releasing players like Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Winters, and Quincy Enunwa. Either way, those cuts wouldn’t leave the same roster hole that releasing Williamson would.Some may feel that Avery Williamson is an easily replaceable player and that his production could be replicated with the current backups on the roster. But that simply isn’t true and the Jets can’t rely on the likes of Hewitt, Cashman, and Burgess as starters.

Keep Williamson and watch him and Mosley flourish in 2020.

>       https://thejetpress.com/2020/03/08/ny-jets-avery-williamson-mistake/

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Williamson Has better stats than Mosley and is a great locker room guy. He’s a guy that puts his head down and plays. With the D-line we have and these two ILBs playing together; running against us would be dam near impossible. He lead us in tackles 2 seasons ago and got hurt lest pre-season playing hard like he always does. Even though he shouldn’t have been left in that long to begin with. That’s thanks to our bonehead coach. If it were up to me I’d keep him. Trade him for a pick would e as far as I would go but to cut him for cap room, I wouldn’t do that. That cap would be used to get a good player when we already have one in him. Just my opinion 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2