Giants/Leo Not close on deal - Rapoport

Good luck with that one Leo.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants "aren't close" on an extension with free agent DL Leonard Williams.
The Giants have looked unwilling to meet Williams' asking price to this point, which is expected to be at least $15 million annually. With talks not progressing, franchising Williams remains a possibility, but there's now a chance they let him hit the open market. After giving up third and fifth-round picks for Williams, it would be a letdown if the Giants didn't get something done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105577/article/giants-not-close-to-extension-with-dl-leonard-williams

Giants not close to extension with DL Leonard Williams

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 9, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Updated: March 9, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.

With the franchise tag deadline coming Thursday, several teams will be making crucial decisions this week.

One of those teams pondering using the tag is the New York Giants, who could place the franchise tender on defensive lineman Leonard Williams.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Williams and the Giants are not close on a contract extension, per sources informed of the situation. Rapoport added that the tag is a possibility for Williams, but New York could also let him hit the market.

Big Blue acquired Williams in a trade-deadline deal with the New York Jets in exchange for a third-round pick and a conditional 2021 fifth-rounder that becomes a fourth if the Giants re-sign Williams before the start of the new league year.

The conditional aspect of the trade could play into the Giants' decision with Williams this week.

In eight games with Big Blue in 2019, Williams compiled 26 tackles, half a sack and two passes defended.

Giants general manager Dave Gettleman frequently defended his decision to trade for a player set to be a free agent, noting the team wanted to get an up-close look at the player once in the building. With a new coach Joe Judge in New York, it's unclear how Williams might fit in defensive coordinator Patrick Graham's system.

Rapoport noted that Williams is expected to have a strong market. The franchise tag could be a mechanism for keeping the former first-round pick in New York if the Giants want an extended look without a long-term commitment.

The deadline for teams to use the franchise tag is Thursday at 4 p.m. ET.

6 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Good luck with that one Leo.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants "aren't close" on an extension with free agent DL Leonard Williams.
The Giants have looked unwilling to meet Williams' asking price to this point, which is expected to be at least $15 million annually. With talks not progressing, franchising Williams remains a possibility, but there's now a chance they let him hit the open market. After giving up third and fifth-round picks for Williams, it would be a letdown if the Giants didn't get something done.

Love it!  and just yesterday I'm reading on here that idiot vagiants fans are on their boards licking their chops because the "deal was done" ?  idiots.

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hate Leo and enjoy this saga, regardless of the impact on the conditional pick.

Leo's agent" If you didn't suck so much, I could get you the deal you want.  You know.. a sack?

Leo:  I will go try Revis's uncle if you can't help me.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

he is good, not great and with #6 you expect great - I actually think he could have been great with the right coaching and work ethic but sadly he did not have good role models...

Great players are great for a reason. Leo did not have a good work ethic, that's all on him, not other players. As far him being a "good" player, I would argue that he was just an average player. Look at his stats. He was just another BPA that fell to us because other teams actually knew he wasn't, and of course our buffoon GM couldn't resist. If he wants 15 million a year he is going to be greatly disappointed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

51 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Great players are great for a reason. Leo did not have a good work ethic, that's all on him, not other players. As far him being a "good" player, I would argue that he was just an average player. Look at his stats. He was just another BPA that fell to us because other teams actually knew he wasn't, and of course our buffoon GM couldn't resist. If he wants 15 million a year he is going to be greatly disappointed. 

i know i've come around quite a bit on leo.  his main sin was being picked so highly and then not playing to his draft position on the field.  but he sure didn't seem to have the drive that the better players have.  i don't know if i'd call him an average player although he has been falling off each year.  but he can ask for whatever he thinks he's worth and the giaints can counter offer what they think he's worth.  maybe they meet in the middle maybe not.  above average players still aren't worth 15 million per year.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, CurtMart said:

$15mil a year? I mean, why? To save a 5th from becoming a 4th? F*** that. If I was the Giants, I’d let him test the FA. He’s worth maybe $10. Yeah, $10. Not $10mil, but $10. He’s worth a case of Corona. 

The giants want to save face is what’s really going on here

They traded a third round pick for this mediocre piece of crap