Jump to content
chrisfaceoff

Giants/Leo Not close on deal - Rapoport

Recommended Posts

Good luck with that one Leo.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants "aren't close" on an extension with free agent DL Leonard Williams.
The Giants have looked unwilling to meet Williams' asking price to this point, which is expected to be at least $15 million annually. With talks not progressing, franchising Williams remains a possibility, but there's now a chance they let him hit the open market. After giving up third and fifth-round picks for Williams, it would be a letdown if the Giants didn't get something done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105577/article/giants-not-close-to-extension-with-dl-leonard-williams

Giants not close to extension with DL Leonard Williams

 
Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 9, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Updated: March 9, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.

 

With the franchise tag deadline coming Thursday, several teams will be making crucial decisions this week.

One of those teams pondering using the tag is the New York Giants, who could place the franchise tender on defensive lineman Leonard Williams.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Williams and the Giants are not close on a contract extension, per sources informed of the situation. Rapoport added that the tag is a possibility for Williams, but New York could also let him hit the market.

Big Blue acquired Williams in a trade-deadline deal with the New York Jets in exchange for a third-round pick and a conditional 2021 fifth-rounder that becomes a fourth if the Giants re-sign Williams before the start of the new league year.

The conditional aspect of the trade could play into the Giants' decision with Williams this week.

In eight games with Big Blue in 2019, Williams compiled 26 tackles, half a sack and two passes defended.

Giants general manager Dave Gettleman frequently defended his decision to trade for a player set to be a free agent, noting the team wanted to get an up-close look at the player once in the building. With a new coach Joe Judge in New York, it's unclear how Williams might fit in defensive coordinator Patrick Graham's system.

Rapoport noted that Williams is expected to have a strong market. The franchise tag could be a mechanism for keeping the former first-round pick in New York if the Giants want an extended look without a long-term commitment.

The deadline for teams to use the franchise tag is Thursday at 4 p.m. ET.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Giants tag Leo, then don't come to terms on a new deal until after the league year begins, we still only get a 5th correct?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Giants tag Leo, then don't come to terms on a new deal until after the league year begins, we still only get a 5th correct?

I think so sadly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Good luck with that one Leo.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants "aren't close" on an extension with free agent DL Leonard Williams.
The Giants have looked unwilling to meet Williams' asking price to this point, which is expected to be at least $15 million annually. With talks not progressing, franchising Williams remains a possibility, but there's now a chance they let him hit the open market. After giving up third and fifth-round picks for Williams, it would be a letdown if the Giants didn't get something done.

Love it!  and just yesterday I'm reading on here that idiot vagiants fans are on their boards licking their chops because the "deal was done" ?  idiots.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Sad to think Leo got advice from Mo and Revis - just forgot the "have to do the work first" part...

 

 

Or be a good player part...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

If they don't sign Leo, maybe they'll accept a trade for Q. 

We’d have to put a gun to there head...

gun... me doing you in the QW thread... get it? 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hate Leo and enjoy this saga, regardless of the impact on the conditional pick.

Leo's agent" If you didn't suck so much, I could get you the deal you want.  You know.. a sack?

 

Leo:  I will go try Revis's uncle if you can't help me.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TNJet said:

Or be a good player part...

he is good, not great and with #6 you expect great - I actually think he could have been great with the right coaching and work ethic but sadly he did not have good role models...

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t give him 15M for the next 3 years let alone 15M per year.  He and Trent Williams  can work out together while they sit out the year. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't even consider tagging this guy, even after giving up too much for him.  You don't need to pay 15 mil plus for run-stuffers.  But Gettleman is on increasingly thin ice so will probably do it and continue to pretend that he is a top level DL.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Giants tag Leo, then don't come to terms on a new deal until after the league year begins, we still only get a 5th correct?

And their 3rd.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, mrcoops said:

A high 3 and a 5 for a half-year rental of a surplus-to-requirements DL.

Thanks, Dave Gettleman.

"He gets to dah Kwattahback, though, amirite?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you've given up the 4th pick in the 3rd rd, does it really matter if the additional compensation is a 4th or 5th?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

he is good, not great and with #6 you expect great - I actually think he could have been great with the right coaching and work ethic but sadly he did not have good role models...

Great players are great for a reason. Leo did not have a good work ethic, that's all on him, not other players. As far him being a "good" player, I would argue that he was just an average player. Look at his stats. He was just another BPA that fell to us because other teams actually knew he wasn't, and of course our buffoon GM couldn't resist. If he wants 15 million a year he is going to be greatly disappointed. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Great players are great for a reason. Leo did not have a good work ethic, that's all on him, not other players. As far him being a "good" player, I would argue that he was just an average player. Look at his stats. He was just another BPA that fell to us because other teams actually knew he wasn't, and of course our buffoon GM couldn't resist. If he wants 15 million a year he is going to be greatly disappointed. 

i know i've come around quite a bit on leo.  his main sin was being picked so highly and then not playing to his draft position on the field.  but he sure didn't seem to have the drive that the better players have.  i don't know if i'd call him an average player although he has been falling off each year.  but he can ask for whatever he thinks he's worth and the giaints can counter offer what they think he's worth.  maybe they meet in the middle maybe not.  above average players still aren't worth 15 million per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$15mil a year? I mean, why? To save a 5th from becoming a 4th? F*** that. If I was the Giants, I’d let him test the FA. He’s worth maybe $10. Yeah, $10. Not $10mil, but $10. He’s worth a case of Corona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leo might be angling for the franchise tag here most he can or ever will get for his services 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even close to $15 Mil a year. Let him walk. I liked Leo but he is not a sack guy he is a pressure guy. He does rack up QB pressures but that’s not worth $15 mil a year.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, CurtMart said:

$15mil a year? I mean, why? To save a 5th from becoming a 4th? F*** that. If I was the Giants, I’d let him test the FA. He’s worth maybe $10. Yeah, $10. Not $10mil, but $10. He’s worth a case of Corona. 

The giants want to save face is what’s really going on here

 

They traded a third round pick for this mediocre piece of crap

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 1:09 AM, MS jets Fan said:

Not even close to $15 Mil a year. Let him walk. I liked Leo but he is not a sack guy he is a pressure guy. He does rack up QB pressures but that’s not worth $15 mil a year.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think Leo is worth $1.5 million a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...