If You Were Not a Jets Fan, Who WOULD You be a Fan Of and Why?

Topic says it all:  If You Were Not a Jets Fan, Who WOULD You be a Fan Of and Why?

We all love football, but what if we didn't have that local-team love, or whatever love led you to the Jets?  

Who would you root for in a Jets-less world, and why?  All answers are CORRECT because it's all opinion!

I doubt I would follow football at all. I am a Jets fan first football fan second, though your post sort of assumes the opposite. Baseball was my true love, I was a much bigger Mets fan than I have ever been a Jets fan, but I walked away for good in 1996. If the elite NFL players get their way I may move away from football too in 2021

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Probably Saints because of location and likability. Brees has always been easy to root for imo. Nice color combination on their uniforms too.

Saints in the NFC for same reasons.

Chiefs in the AFC because they are the new 'Greatest Show on Turf'.  Fun to watch. Mahomes can do anything on any play.  It's like real-life Madden football.  Very watchable.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I doubt I would follow football at all. I am a Jets fan first football fan second, though your post sort of assumes the opposite.

Just to clarify, my post assumes that most of us who came to love football would still have come to love football even if the Jets had never existed/moved away/whatever cause you prefer.

For example:  I loved football and baseball growing up.  Jets and Mets.  

If the Jets didn't exist, no doubt I would have become a Giants Fan most likely.  Maybe.

Or perhaps, with no local team from my early youth in NY, when I moved down here I would have embraced the Redskins.

Baseball was my true love, I was a much bigger Mets fan than I have ever been a Jets fan, but I walked away for good in 1996.

Not to get off-topic, but I'd be interested in why you walked away, as it were.

If the elite NFL players get their way I may move away from football too in 2021

Am I right in presuming both Baseball and possible football are over labor contracts?

If I was a kid growing up in NY and Jets did not exist in the 60s/70s, I would probably be a Giants fan today. 

Today, if the Jets suddenly ceased to exist, and I had to choose a team, it would probably be the Packers.  Living north of Chicago, I have come to dislike the Bears -- I seem to identify with the couple of friends I have who are Packer fans.

• Upvote 1

Hard to say....

I loved watching the old Air Coryell Chargers back in the day, so probably them. Plus I prefer teams that don't have a real life mascot so to speak.

And I can't stand the color red, so that rules out the Bills/Chiefs/Texans/49ers/Rats/Falcons/Redskins

• Upvote 2

Getting into football as a kid of the ‘80s I used to love all those NFL films playoff/SB highlights from the 1970s that espn used to air nonstop .. especially all of the nasty, physical games between the Raiders and the Steelers. I’ll admit I even had both a Marcus Allen and Jack Lambert shirts in elementary school.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'd be a Bears fan because everyone else in my family is.

And my fandom wouldn't be very much more rewarding in my lifetime.

You would have at least had that one SB appearance about 12 years ago, behind the great Rex Grossman.  ButI can see the parallel in that they do tend to hold on to 1985 they way we cling to 1968.

Easy one, would have to be the Giants. The only other team near where I live.

Back in the day (you know, painted wagons, dusty roads and all that) my Dad took me to a Mets game right after Shea opened. Back then you rooted for the building, not the laundry, so it was Mets/Jets/Promise of Tomorrow or Yankees/Giants/Pride of Yesterday, no crossover. The next year, he took me to a Yankee game. The other way around and I am on the Giants board today.

As far as other teams, it would be hard to be a fan of a team where I couldn't go to a bunch of games. No impugnment those who conduct themselves otherwise, just a personal thing

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just to clarify, my post assumes that most of us who came to love football would still have come to love football even if the Jets had never existed/moved away/whatever cause you prefer.

For example:  I loved football and baseball growing up.  Jets and Mets.  

If the Jets didn't exist, no doubt I would have become a Giants Fan most likely.  Maybe.

Or perhaps, with no local team from my early youth in NY, when I moved down here I would have embraced the Redskins.

Not to get off-topic, but I'd be interested in why you walked away, as it were.

Am I right in presuming both Baseball and possible football are over labor contracts?

Yes the cancelled the World Series in 1996 and that just left such a bad taste in my mouth, couple with basically a season of "breaking the habit" of seeing baseball that when it did come back I had no interest in watching it again. And haven't. I have been to 4 or 5 Padres games as "events" since, including the game Bonds hit 755, but have not watched a game or post season game since.

And yes, the football thing is going the way I predicted with the NFL haves and lawyers working to sway the rank and file to vote no and if that happens and the elite are successful, there will be a NFL work stoppage, and I may very well give up on the NFL and just watch golf. The hope is that the elite veteran jackasses are too late and it passes, but if it doesnt, and a much more militant NFLPA guy is elected tomorrow, the NFL is in real danger I think.

I always hated the Giants, maybe because I was a Jets fan, so maybe without the Jets I am a Giants fan but the Giants and their fans always rubbed me the wrong way even as a child. That said, for a while, I didn't hate the Chargers living here in San Diego but was never a fan. Hate them completely now that they left San Diego as do many many others here.

For me it's an easy call .... the Chiefs. Grew up where the only TV station we could get (NBC) carried the AFL games. Loved Lenny Dawson , Hank Stram and the Chiefs. It was great having the Jets win SB III followed by KC beating the Vikings in SB IV. Great times. With the Chiefs winning last year's SB  perhaps the Jets will follow with a SB victory this year.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Patriots. Because Deep down I’m a horrible person.  Just don’t see it under all the fatness.  

You're not horrible.

Can you imagaine some alternate reality, where we met up at a Skins bar to root on their new #1 draft pick, Nick Mangold?

Just now, Thai Jet said:

For me it's an easy call .... the Chiefs. Grew up where the only TV station we could get (NBC) carried the AFL games. Loved Lenny Dawson , Hank Stram and the Chiefs. It was great having the Jets win SB III followed by KC beating the Vikings in SB IV. Great times. With the Chiefs winning last year's SB  perhaps the Jets will follow with a SB victory this year.

Didn't it seem like we saw Lamonica or Dawson play every week back then?

It was so different back then with the Jets and Giants home games blacked out. I remember the ads in the sports section for hotel rooms in New Haven, because that was the nearest place you could watch the local teams on tv.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Joejet said:

Carolina Panthers, moved down here 5 years ago.

I'm down here 9 years now, and I just can't. I don't even watch them on Sundays, I either go out to watch the Jets, or watch Red Zone until their game is over.

Same thing with hockey, and the Canes.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Didn't it seem like we saw Lamonica or Dawson play every week back then?

It was so different back then with the Jets and Giants home games blacked out. I remember the ads in the sports section for hotel rooms in New Haven, because that was the nearest place you could watch the local teams on tv.

YES ! It got so bad that when friends were over to watch the games I would call every Chiefs play ahead of time. People would just look at me like WTF ?

I remember going to New Haven (Yale Bowl) to catch the Giants / Jets pre season game.

• Sympathy 1