Oklahoma to unveil statue of Browns' Baker Mayfield

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105629/article/oklahoma-to-unveil-statue-of-browns-baker-mayfield

Oklahoma to unveil statue of Browns' Baker Mayfield

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: March 9, 2020 at 02:38 p.m.
  • Updated: March 9, 2020 at 03:52 p.m.

Baker Mayfield is still working on becoming a legitimate franchise quarterback in the NFL, but his standing at Oklahoma is cemented.

In fact, it's been bronzed.

University of Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley announced Monday the school will unveil a statue of Mayfield during its spring game on April 18 in Norman, Oklahoma. Mayfield's statue will be the latest of Heisman winners who hailed from Oklahoma.

Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy in 2017 after completing 70.5 percent of his passes for 4,627 yards and a 43-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He led the Sooners to the Rose Bowl, where they were defeated in a thrilling College Football Playoff National Semifinal against future teammate Nick Chubb's Georgia Bulldogs.

Cleveland made Mayfield the No. 1 overall pick of the 2018 draft, surprising experts who thought the Browns might choose USC's Sam Darnold or Wyoming's Josh Allen, not Mayfield. He completed a stellar rookie campaign in 2018 but regressed in 2019 amid internal turmoil that saw head coach Freddie Kitchens fired and general manager John Dorsey part ways with the team after the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

A reminder, Baker Mayfield is 2-0 against the Jets since he was drafted.

Joke all you like, he's 2-0 vs. us so far.  

Yes but in fairness one of the games we had our third stringer in and the other game I think it was like our 3rd game in 10 days or something and the team was totally gassed 

31 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yes but in fairness one of the games we had our third stringer in and the other game I think it was like our 3rd game in 10 days or something and the team was totally gassed 

It was also the Browns third game in 11 so they were equally "gassed''.

The Jets had a 14-0 lead midway through the second quarter against an 0-2 team that had lost what? 19 games in a row? Then Baker Mayfield came off the bench and played for the first time in the NFL. The Browns won the game 21-17.

If you're going to tell a story "in fairness", be fair and tell it in it's entirety, my friend. ? 

• Post of the Week 1

Oklahoma has statues for all of their Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Owens, Sam Bradford, Billy Sims, Jason White and the immortal Billy Vessels.  Baker is next in line and next season, I am sure they will add one for Kyler Murray.  It is an Oklahoma thing, not specific to Baker.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Oklahoma has statues for all of their Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Owens, Sam Bradford, Billy Sims, Jason White and the immortal Billy Vessels.  Baker is next in line and next season, I am sure they will add one for Kyler Murray.  It is an Oklahoma thing, not specific to Baker.

You mean it's not because he grabs his balls like a tough guy?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It was also the Browns third game in 11 so they were equally "gassed''.

The Jets had a 14-0 lead midway through the second quarter against an 0-2 team that had lost what? 19 games in a row? Then Baker Mayfield came off the bench and played for the first time in the NFL. The Browns won the game 21-17.

If you're going to tell a story "in fairness", be fair and tell it in it's entirety, my friend. ? 

Don’t worry I wasn’t knocking your guy ? 

• Haha 2