What Single Jet Would Make The Biggest Impact - Offense/Defense

Here is an interesting question to ponder...

What single former Jet if added to the offensive roster (other than a qb) would make the biggest impact ???  Same for defense.  What former Jet defensive player would make the biggest impact ???  Pick one and explain why.  Keep in mind, these players have to compliment the current roster.   Not so much that they were great players, but ones that can be plugged right in now and make all the difference... 

Offense:

I am sooo tempted to pick an offensive lineman considering the condition the unit is in now, but I have to go with a particular wide receiver.  Since the Jets already have Robby (figuring he stays), what Sam really needs is a big, stout WR that is very aggressive to the ball, can act as a possession receive and take a hit, is smart enough to watch the play and adjust the rout accordingly to help his QB that is running around and improvising... IMHO, that would be Keyshawn Johnson.  He would make the perfect addition for Sam and the Jets offense. 

Defense.  I know Revis is an obvious pick, but that would be predicated on having a defensive coach that lives by the overload blitz while pressing CB's at the same time.  For most other DC's, I think they would prefer to have two decent CB's instead of Revis *IF* they can also have another defensive player that absolutely dominates part of the field.  Guys like Klecko and Gastineau were amazing players as was some of the former LB's like Mo Lewis, Kyle Clifton, Lance Mehl and so on, but I have never seen a single player cause more problems and dominate the first level of the defense to the extent that it effected the second and third levels as Kris Jenkins.  He was a "three gapper" if ever there was one.  IMHO, no other defender the Jets ever had made as much of a total impact as he... 

So there you have it...  KJ and KJ 

What say you ???

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Jenkins immediately came to my mind.

On O I would take Mangold back in a heartbeat.  Chrebet would be sweet too....

Mangold was soooo hard for me to pass up on in favor of Keyshawn.  Not just for the quality of play, but Mangold was also a top notch character guy. One of the best Jets ever.  HOF quality, I'd say.  The Jets better get him into their ring of excellence or what ever they call it ASAP...

My reasoning was this... It is super hard to get a WR with the qualities of Keyshawn and I think that type/style of WR is exactly what Darnold needs most.  Even more so than a WR like Wesley Walker and Randy Moss.  A big, physical possession guy to go along with Robby would be key...

• Upvote 1

Marvin Powell/Wesley Walker on offense

Joe Klecko/Mark Gastineau on defense

Hard to make the call.  I thought about Maynard, George Sauer, Al Toon, all better than Keyshawn.  Id take Mawae over Mangold, maybe even Joe Fields.  

On D Jenkins wasn't on the field enough.  Couldn't pick between Klecko and Gastineau. Depends on which Klecko, the DE with 21 sacks or the DT/NT?  Abraham didnt make the impact of either as a Jet, I wouldn't ever pick Abrahams Jet career over Gastineau, Gas was unstoppable.  

• Upvote 1

Revis on defense. Austin on the other side, Poole in the middle. Instantly one of the best secondaries out there. 

I want to say Jumbo Elliot on offense, just he'd be a good blocker for Sam and a legitimate endzone threat lol. 

Nah...I'd probably have to go with Al Toon. Mangold is tempting but having Toon allows us to go OL OL OL in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Revis on defense. Austin on the other side, Poole in the middle. Instantly one of the best secondaries out there. 

I want to say Jumbo Ellot on oiffense, just he'd be a good blocker for Sam and a legitimate endzone threat lol. 

Nah...I'd probably have to go with Al Toon. Mangold is tempting but having Toon allows us to go OL OL OL in the draft. 

? Well played.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Mangold was soooo hard for me to pass up on in favor of Keyshawn.  Not just for the quality of play, but Mangold was also a top notch character guy. One of the best Jets ever.  HOF quality, I'd say.  The Jets better get him into their ring of excellence or what ever they call it ASAP...

My reasoning was this... It is super hard to get a WR with the qualities of Keyshawn and I think that type/style of WR is exactly what Darnold needs most.  Even more so than a WR like Wesley Walker and Randy Moss.  A big, physical possession guy to go along with Robby would be key...

I actually think Toon would be a better difference maker now. Dude could snag the ball in a crowd and was smooth as glass.

2 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I actually think Toon would be a better difference maker now. Dude could snag the ball in a crowd and was smooth as glass.

I almost forgot about Toon.  Yes...  He might be the ticket on offense.  Especially now with all the new rules about helmet to helmet and defenseless receiver.  More than half the hits that poor old Toon took would get the defender flagged, ejected, fined and suspended now.  They explicitly targeted Toon's head.  You knew he was going to get brained every time he went up for the ball with his acrobatic style... Ouch !  I mean OUCH !  

• Upvote 1