Gronkowski closing in on new deal

53 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gronk was way more entertaining as a football player than celebrity. Kinda like Rex in that regard. He’s not interesting.

Not at all. I saw him once on a internet video show and he literally suck the energy out of it. Just awkward and clumsy. I’m guessing not fun until he’s drunk. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

The "Rock" is another meat head whose name will be introduced in Hollywood's star walk. "The sky is the limit'"for this type of human specimen. 

This is clearly the roadmap Gronk is trying to follow.  The challenge for him is the DJ has become a pretty decent actor and he's absolutely killing it in the action genre.  Then with Ballers he made a strong showing in drama-comedy.  As of yet, I have seen nothing from Gronk that suggests he will thrive outside of the reality-TV genre.  But hey, at least he wont have to wait tables waiting for his break so there's that.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not at all. I saw him once on a internet video show and he literally suck the energy out of it. Just awkward and clumsy. I’m guessing not fun until he’s drunk. 

I thought the same thing when I saw a bit of the New Year's Eve show that Gronk was part of in Time's Square.  It was beyond awkward.  It reached cringe-worthy status.  I had to turn it off after only a few minutes.  I'm 53 now and remember watching the New Year's Eve shows with Guy Lombardo when I was a kid.  Those were so much better.  They were entertaining and classy. Many of the contemporary celebrities that the Hollywood, the networks and record companies push are human zeros.  Pop culture has become the most excecrable force in the universe... 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is clearly the roadmap Gronk is trying to follow.  The challenge for him is the DJ has become a pretty decent actor and he's absolutely killing it in the action genre.  Then with Ballers he made a strong showing in drama-comedy.  As of yet, I have seen nothing from Gronk that suggests he will thrive outside of the reality-TV genre.  But hey, at least he wont have to wait tables waiting for his break so there's that.

He is one of the smartest NFL players in decades. Made millions, never cashed a check. Lives on 7 figures of endorsements.  Contrast that with our former and current players getting DWI's with guns at airports, in the car etc.     Don'y give a rat's ass about Gronk but he is smart.

• WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I thought the same thing when I saw a bit of the New Year's Eve show that Gronk was part of in Time's Square.  It was beyond awkward.  It reached cringe-worthy status.  I had to turn it off after only a few minutes.  I'm 53 now and remember watching the New Year's Eve shows with Guy Lombardo when I was a kid.  Those were so much better.  They were entertaining and classy. Many of the contemporary celebrities that the Hollywood, the networks and record companies push are human zeros.  Pop culture has become the most excecrable force in the universe... 

Wow, I'm also 53 and I've read few things anywhere I agree with more. Well done. 

44 minutes ago, chirorob said:

DJ re invented himself during the attitude era of the WWE.   He made the smart transition into kids movies, where he would laugh at himself, then into the action movies.   My kids like him, everyone likes him.

Hollywood is full of idiots who can't act.

His role in the second Get Shorty movie was awesome. 

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He is one of the smartest NFL players in decades. Made millions, never cashed a check. Lives on 7 figures of endorsements.  Contrast that with our former and current players getting DWI's with guns at airports, in the car etc.     Don'y give a rat's ass about Gronk but he is smart.

Very true but he's about as interesting and endearing as a toilet plunger. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting Gronk has character issues.  It is more a statement about pop culture and Hollywood.  When there is a huge market for a guy(s) that is *seemingly* a big clown with an unnaturally big and muscular physique, then a big part of your culture has questionable values and intellect. The Rock and Gronk may have sterling character and a quality intellect, but that is most certainly not what their pay masters are using them to push. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Ever seen his standup? Quite literally the worst standup I've ever heard. Worse than Amy Schumer, and I'm not exaggerating. 

• Upvote 2

Sad that he picked the wrong era to be professional wrastlin'.  All my friends who watch WWE say it sucks now or that the sport is dead.  I have no idea why.  It's been decades since I went to the local Memorial Coliseum to watch Hulk Hogan unleash his 24 inch pythons onto the Ulimate Warrior.  I mean, I watch Raw for a few seconds sometimes but that's it.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Gronkowski came from means and a family with it's own business.  So, he had stability, guidance, and a lack of pressure to support an entire community financially.  Doesn't detract from the way he's handled his finances, but he didn't come into this on a level playing field with most of these guys you're referencing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Punk Rock Clickbait GIF by Noise Nest Network

Exactly. I consider it more a joke than click bait because o don't get Jack squat from anyone opening this, but most definitely.

That said, Journalism seem pretty easy.  Create misleading headline=content.

Maybe the Daily News will hire me for the Jets beat

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Eh.  I'd say that's a bit of a stretch.  Gronk's a character with a good agent.  An old saying from a publicist/talent rep I knew is that "You can make something from nothing but ultimately it's the client themselves that makes the difference."  And I mean look at Gronk.  It's like he was made in an advertising agency on how to appeal to football fans along every demographic  And as long as that ever present jock/strip club bouncer mentality is inoffensive and child like...  $$$$$  What's that saying about Yogi Berra. God said to Yogi, "Yogi all you gotta is just be yourself."  Well.  That's Gronk.